DesertRose 
Posted: 31-Dec-2006, 09:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Have any of you taken in stray and injured animals? Pretty sad and horrific, isn't it. Hopefully all you have had good outcomes who have been good Samaritans to our furry creatures. Share your stories here.

I have a story. My sis had a small kitty show up at her door about a month ago. The cat was severely injured. My sis, having two indoor cats of her own and not wanting anymore, fed this so-called kitten right away and then afterwards took her to the emergency vet.

Apparently the kitty who was 2-1/2 lbs at that time was severely injured in the back leg, malnourished and dehydrated. They were not sure if she would make it. They ran all kinds of tests and besides the above, she appeared healthy enough so my sis said go for it. She named the kitten Callie. Turns out the kitten is not a kitten but about 6-8 months old, but very small for her age and will probably always remain small. to make a long story short, they had to amputate the back left leg last week and since doing so this kitty has improved remarkably. The vets said they didn't even think she missed her back leg and if anything, she has come alive, is now totally litter box house trained and never wants to go outside again! She fears the outdoors like something awful. I would love to know the history of this kitty, but Callie is doing wonderfully now...thanks to the kindness and generosity of my sis. We were raised that way though. My mother always took in stray and hurt cats and gave them great lives. Now my sis has three indoor cats. The male tolerates Callie, but the other female hisses at Callie anytime she comes near. Callie just ignores her and goes on! biggrin.gif

I have a friend who just rescued a horse who was badly abused and brought her back to life again. I love stories like these and hope you will share yours. Thanks!

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 31-Dec-2006, 11:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Our Shar Pei and two of our Dauchunds are purebreeds but our third dautsi is one we took in from a family that didn't want him anymore. Three of the seven cats we have are strays. Didn't need them freezing to death up here in the northwoods. The other four was a mama siamese who had kittens. Yeah she got out once, only once. Two cats live upstairs the rest in the basement. Our female duachaund chases them back down but the cats hold their own at times. My wife and daughter are both big animal lovers so we had a few that have come and gone along the way.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 02-Jan-2007, 12:54 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

I think I used to have a thread on here for our cat Rupert (Gilles, or Ripper for the Buffy fans). He was a stray that we took in after Angela saw our neighbours kids trying to sell it in one of their 'yard sales'. Ange thought it was our Faith, because the girls had nicked her before when she was a kitten. When she looked in the box, there was ol' Ripper with a piece of yarn tied around his neck. He was undernourished, (the girl said they found him under their doorstep, fed him some steak, and then it wouldn't go away), missing teeth, had poor eyesight, and a major case of the big 'D'. The Vet told us he was clear, as far as disease, so our animals were safe, but had some eye problems (his iris looked like lace).

He was a good cat, for a little over a year, until he had bloody stool, and did so in our bedroom twice in two days. He was quite unhealthy, and I began to worry about the baby's health being affected. It wasn't an easy decision, but we had to let him go.

We now have a new puppy (8 mos) that we picked up at an SPCA in Amherst. He had been found walking and they think he had been on his own for a few weeks at least. He's extremelly calm, very attentive, and eager to please. He's picking up on commands very quickly, thanks to Buffy for helping out with that.

Buffy recently lost her best friend (Otis, Ange's parents dog) to the highway, and has been very depressed lately, not to mention the fact that she's been running off almost daily to find someone to play with. Rather than risk loosing our dog in the same way, we decided a companion would best be found at home.

So we brought him home, he's excellent with Coira, great with Buffy, a little bit of a hellion with Faith, and is a sook. We named him Oz. smile.gif

Say hi to Oz. (named after a very well mannered bass player from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, who also happens to be a Werewolf. biggrin.gif

user posted image

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
oldraven 
Posted: 02-Jan-2007, 12:55 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Oz playing tug of war with Buffy.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
DesertRose 
Posted: 04-Jan-2007, 07:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

OR! Oh! What a wonderful story about your new dog. I am sure things will work out really well. smile.gif

so very very sorry to hear about your kitty though. I can only imagine how heartbreaking that was for your family. Thanks for sharing!

I started watching "Animal Planet, Phoenix Rescue" which is an hour from where I live and I so love this program! The things these rescuers do is amazing and I so want to be like them.
monksplay1958 
Posted: 13-Apr-2007, 09:38 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

Realm: Michigan

female

*HELP*I took in a 15 week old laberdoodle puppy about 2 months ago and am having some problems with him. A "friend of my family" gave me this cute puppy named "Mojo". The previous breeder/owner said she was gone from home so much that she was not able to take very good care of him. He was in his kennel all day while she was at work, and many times late into the evening, as well as overnight. She said that some days he was in his pen 22 hours. "MOJO" is a very hyper puppy-very playful, but he is having some serious elimination & behaviour problems.....like peeing all over people when he first meets them-which is probably from excitement-but then he has stepped it up and has been going all over my house, and soaked my son's futon mattress the other day. He has also started "doing his job" in the house. I don't know if it is "behavioural" from being neglected by the previous owner, or if there is another physical/medical problem. I reached the end of my rope tonight when I was walking him. I had just met my friend for a walk and I was trying to control him from jumping on her (plus,he was acting very CRAZY-jittery,hyper,etc) I tried to get control of him and tried to make him sit but he kept trying to jump on my friend. I then laid him down to get control of him, and after he got up and started walking again but he nipped me on the knee-not a "bite" per se, but he had his teeth on my knee but did not put a pressure on it....Anyone have any ideas? I could use some suggestions or a good website! Thank you for listening to me go on & on! Melissa
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 14-Apr-2007, 12:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

It sounds like an oodledog and it's owner both need some serious training and behavior modification work. There are at least 9 APDT trainers within 50 miles of your home (I looked it up based on your profile). With some phone work you should be able to find a puppy-class that will help you learn how to manage your pup. URL for the Association of Pet Dog Trainers search page is http://www.apdt.com/po/ts/us.asp

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
monksplay1958 
Posted: 14-Apr-2007, 01:20 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

female

Good suggestion! I went on the website you gave me & found a dog trainer within 10 miles of my home, and I have emailed her. Thank you, Swanny!
Melissa
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 14-Apr-2007, 06:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Thank you for following up. APDT trainers base their methods on the best available current science of animal behavior. They rely on positive training methods that are well shown to be effective, efficient and psychologically rewarding for both the animal and the handler. They work on any animal with a central nervous system, including humans

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 15-Apr-2007, 04:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Took much interest in this..once I saw this post...

monksplay1958, keep us posted on training and such, ok? I am extremely interested in hearing about the progress.
monksplay1958 
Posted: 17-Apr-2007, 09:30 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

female

Well, as it turns out....I do have some good news. The trainer that I emailed a couple days ago responded, and she gave me some great tips. See her email below:

Hi Melissa, I am not currently doing any lessons. I have a full time job that I just took less than 6 months ago. I have very little time to do much training. (even with my own dog).

I would suggest the Kalamazoo Kennel Club. They will be starting lessons soon. BUT be sure you go to class on Thursday. That is where they teach clicker training and not the usual choke chain and jerking. They have a website - www.kkc.org Also the Kalamazoo Dog Training club offers lessons. They may even have a person who would work one on one with you. Their website is www.kdtc.org

One more place I would recommend is Take the Lead Dog Training it is in Marshall, Mi near Turkeyville place. They are very good with problem dogs and use positive methods. If they cannot help you, they will refer you to an animal behaviorist. Their website is www.michigandog.com Both instructors are certified trainers. I have taken my dog there frequently. It is a bit pricey but worth every cent.

You may want to be sure that there is not a physical reason for the peeing. Also put the dog in the crate when you are not there to directly manage him. Or if you are home, tether him to your body via a leash. You be the leader. If he is not neutered, then get him neutered. That will calm him down a bit and hopefuloy decrease the need to urine mark.

Some helpful websites: www.dogscouts.org they have many articles on dog training. All positive methods.

I would like to forward your email to a person who may be able to work with you one on one. You need to give me permission to do this.

You also have to decide if you have the time and energy to put into this puppy. It will not be an instant fix. It might be something you will have to manage for some time. But there is hope.

Do not free feed your dog. Encourage him to go in his crate to be fed. Encourage him to sit for his meal. In fact, hand feed your dog his kibble. The leader controls everything. Food, water, space etc. He will gain some respect for you.

Lesley

Alas, some hope! Thank you, CelticRose & Swanny, for taking an interest & for helping me. Who knows,maybe this will help someone else? -Monksplay
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 18-Apr-2007, 07:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

It sounds like an excellent result. I heartily endorse "clicker training" over other methods. Heck, it works well with sled dogs and if it works with these highly independent hard driving dogs it should work with any animal that has a central nervous system, including large, gregarious, omnivorous, hairless primates.

It sounds like you are well on your way in a good direction.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 19-Apr-2007, 01:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

My friend Lynn Orbison does a lot of sled dog rescue work. “Kia” is an Alaskan malamute mix that came from a pet home. When her previous owner had knee surgery his doctor told him to “loose the dog” from fear that this large, powerful girl might do serious damage to a very expensive knee. Lynn agreed to foster Kia and find her a good home.

Kia has not yet run with a team, so we don’t know if she is a “sled dog” or not, but Lynn says she moves very gracefully and we can certainly trust Lynn’s ‘eye’ when it comes to watching how a dog moves. Kia is about the same size as my freighting dogs, so I’d guess she weighs in the neighborhood of 65 to 75 lb. To my eye she is a very beautiful dog and I thought it would be fun to share the photo. user posted image

Kia is currently very shy, but we will be working with her to help with that. When the weather allows we’ll start training her along with my new Hedlund pups and see if she wants to be a sled dog. She is just such a pretty thing that I wanted to share her photo.
PMEmail Poster               
monksplay1958 
Posted: 19-Apr-2007, 09:39 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

female

Hey Swanny! Sounds like Lynn & Kia have quite an adventure ahead of them.
How long would it take to train Kia to be a sled dog? I hope it goes well for them. Keep us posted! (your pic did not come thru)
Clicker training is a new term for me. I will look it up on the internet....I have some learning to do! And Mojo too!
And speaking of Mojo....here is an update on my pup--I moved the kennel to my garage (now that the weather is warmer) & am slowly reintroducing him to being inside my home. When I get home from work I let him run around the yard a bit & do his "duty", hand feed or put his feeding bowl in his kennel,then take him for a 45 minute walk. I am spending time with simple commands, like "sit" and "stay", and reward him with a little treat. I have also been working with him during our walks to "slow down" as he tends to get a little rambunctious & pull me forward. I have been keeping him close to me, on my left side, and don't allow him to get ahead of me. When he comes into my house, I am keeping him on his leash right next to me. So....I am establishing my control & so far, it seems to be working-little steps at a time. He sits for me & stays pretty well-though he needs to be a bit quicker in his response. More to come!
-Melissa
(p.s. how do i insert text from the previous person's posting?)
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 19-Apr-2007, 11:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

hey there, Melissa! I finally got in here to catch up. sounds like you got some really terrific advise and help! I am not familar with clicker training at all. I really must check that out though. sounds like you are having a great results with it and everything else you are doing...good on you! Thanks so much for sharing, Melissa! Keep us posted, ok?

P.s. to insert someone's previous posting in with your reply, just hit quote and that will do it. If you need more help, let me know.

Take care and keep up the good doggie work! yay!!!!!!!!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt