Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Learning Scots Gaelic, anybody want to try?
vc0711 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 02:11 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

male

As a flemish speaking belgian, and a Scotland lover, I am interested in scottish gaelic.
I looked around on the net and found some intersting sites here and there.
The BBC site is very interresting.

But if you look at www.eurotalk.co.uk you will find there is a cd for learning scottish gaelic (also irish is available)
It is interactive, with translation and sound samples.

For me it gave a good starting point. But it is a the pity that i have no means of using gaelic here in Flanders. When i go to scotland i try to use the little gaelic i know, and i get positive reactions, being fllemish.

Chris Verwilst
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
  Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 03:45 PM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

's math sin gu dearbh a leughadh an "snead" seo biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif ! gu dearbh!

i can only recommend Iain Mac an Taillors - Ian Taylor and Boyd Robertson s excellent "Teach yourself Gaelic" , published by Hodders and Stoughton. It comes together with a tape which is very useful indeed. That helped me a great deal when i started to lean gaelic smile.gif In the meantime I have the great privilege to sit in Iains classes at Sàbhal Mòr Òstaig smile.gif biggrin.gif

Sorry for neglection of this forum for a while but too many things have happened - including my comet-lice ascent to moderator in a certain other forum wink.gif

Hope - i ' ll have time to pop in more often smile.gif Cumaibh a' dol! Tha mi glè thoillichte a ´bhith sin fhaicinn - I am very happy indeed to see this thread smile.gif

--------------------
Scottish in Heart :-))

In the darkest heart the pride of man will walk allone

's ged tha mi fada bhuat cha dhealaich sinn a chaoidh

Darkover RPG
PMEmail Poster               
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 04:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Alba

male

A thi! Tha mi eòlach ort a Fhaileas agus am bòrd eile cuideachd!!!. 'S e 'Am Misgear' an t-ainm a th' orm aig a' bhòrd sin. Tha thu fortanach gu dearbh a bhith a' fuireach aig Sàbhal Mòr Òstaig agus tha deagh Ghàidhlig agad gu dearbha! Tha mi airson a dhol ann ach chan eil tide gu leòr agam an-dràsda. Co dhiù, tha mi toilichte do fhaicinn an-seo. Oidhche mhath is Nollaig Chrideil biggrin.gif

--------------------
Bruidhinnibh Gàidhlig Rium.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 05:02 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Nollaig Chridheil a-huile duine! Failte bhaith is fhuranach dhuibhse! smile.gif tha mi toilichte ciunntainn uat, thoir toigh or fhein.

Faileas! I am so happy to see you! I had heard you spoke Gaelic and was hoping so much you would come in here. Congratulations on being moderator too!

I don't speak well at all, but trying to learn. It is a bit overwhelming to me now as you all are such wonderful Gaidhlig speakers! maybe one day for me too. Thanks for all the input! clap.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Faileas 
  Posted: 25-Dec-2003, 03:15 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

Nollaig Chridheil a h-uile duine! 's math sin do fhaicinn ann a' sheo , a chù dhubh smile.gif

Aye Celtic Rose, I love this board and just would like to be able to listen more to the station but Real player is a bit of a pain for my laptop I am afraid.

I 've been "nerving" a while this board with my fire for Gaelic lol so I am really doubly glad of this thread and if i can b of any help to ye ... biggrin.gif dont hesitate to ask!

Tha thusa a' deanamh glè mhath, A Chù Dhubh! :-) Oidhche mhath dhuibh agus chi mi sibh a dh'aithgearr smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 25-Dec-2003, 03:42 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Faileas! Nollaig chridheil! Ciamar a tha sibh? Tha i gle bhreagha an-diugh. Cait a bheil thu a' fuireach? Tha mi a' fuireach a' Arizona. Thank you so much for being here! I appreciate it so very much! You are so much of a better Gaidhlig speaker than I. I hope to get to your and others here level someday. I will have to look into those teaching books and tapes you got. I live in a small town so I need to buy something on line. In the meantime, there are a few on here that speak very well and so you can chat in Gaihdlig with them! I just wish my accent marks worked on here. for some reason they don't work when I try to reply! unsure.gif Faileas! feel free to contribute in any way you like that would help us all out. Tapadh leibh!

anyway, halo a-huile duine agus Nollaig Chridheil! smile.gif

Cù Dubh 
Posted: 25-Dec-2003, 04:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

male

Nollaig Chridheil a h-uile duine biggrin.gif Tha mi 'n dòchas gun robh latha math agaibh. Bha latha mòr agam-sa agus mo theaghlach.ach tha mi cho sgith ris a' chù wink.gif ...Tha mi a' dol dhan lebaidh a-nis. Oidhche mhath is beanachd leibh.

Merry Christmas everyone..hope you all had a good day.

Celtic-Rose I'm sure your Gaelic will improve, all you have to do is practice. Write in Gaelic as much as possible here and in no time you will see improvements. thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 25-Dec-2003, 08:19 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks Cu Dubh! the problem is understanding all you guys first! wink.gif smile.gif
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

male

I have to agree with Faileas, Boyd Robertson & Iain Taylor's book Teach Yourself Gaelic would be an excellent choice for you to start learning the basics or maybe the Speaking Our Language range of books by Cànan. Which are easier to get into than TYG but less informative i feel.
In the meantime you could check out these sites if you haven't already done so.

Taic (support)

English/Gaelic - Gaelic/English Dictionary

SaveGaelicOrg

BBC Gaelic lessons

Mar sin leibh an-dràsda
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 03:40 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Tapadh leat Cu Dubh! I looked over the BBC site and I have been in there before, but then kind of forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.

I got some gift certificates for Christmas so I bought myself the following books:

Scottish Gaelic-English/English-Scottish Gaelic Dictionary [Paperback]
By: R. W. Renton, J. A. MacDonald

Teach Yourself Gaelic Complete Course [Paperback]
By: NTC Publishing group, et al

Hope they're good!

Mar sin leibh!
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 04:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

male

Aye those are excellent books Celtic-Rose. The Renton/MacDonald Dictionary is a good one to start-off with. It's small, but surpassingly comprehensive. Teach Yourself Gaelic as I've already said is excellent. It's published by Hodder & Stoughton over here though so I can only assume NTC is the publisher over there. Your Gaelic will really improve if you go through the whole book. There's an audio tape that accompanies the book. Did you order that too?
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
  Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 04:34 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

Yeah, Teach yourself Gaelic is really good smile.gif

The Speaking our language material is very good as well even tho it kind of limits your vocabulary a bit . For a wider range i still consider Teach yourself better smile.gif

As for Dictionarys its really difficult, i suppose Dwelly's illustraded Gaelic - English Dictionary is still among the best even tho its a hundred years old.

The Stòrr Data at Sàbhal Mòr Òstaigs website ( www.smo.uhi.ac.uk) is very useful and theres several other Dictionarys in there as well.

Or have a look at my website on the Gaidhlig page. Ye' ll find a few tips there.

I still recommend the Cùrsa Inntrigidh , the distance learning course from the college. smile.gif

Oh aye , my website lol: http://mysite.freeserve.com/tirnanog smile.gif

Cumaibh a dol agus tha mi ' n dochas gu bheil sporsa mòr agaibh ri ionnsachaidh Gaidhlig smile.gif

- Keep going and I hope that ye have good fun with learnig gaidhlig :=)
PMEmail Poster               
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 04:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

male

Oh aye , my website
Ye' ll find a few tips there.

Tha Gàidhlig gu leòr agad a Fhaileas agus tha mi a' smaoineachadh gu bheil beagan Albais cuideachd...Math Fhèin!!! Is toil leam a' Ghàidhlig ach 's fior thoil leam Albais. 'S e Gall a th' annam agus tha sin an cànan agamsa. Glè mhath, glè mhath gu dearbha! thumbs_up.gif biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 28-Dec-2003, 09:05 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Halo Faileas and Cu Dubh! Ciamar a sibh?

I would write in Gaelic, but me thinks I had better get my books first and study hard before answering to you two pros! wink.gif

I heard today that they had shipped them so I am anxiously waiting to get them this week, I hope! Then look out! starwars.gif laugh.gif

Oichche Challainn! holiday.gif
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 29-Dec-2003, 02:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

male

'S math sin!!!

Let us know what you think of them when they arrive Celtic-Rose.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]