Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Learning Scots Gaelic, anybody want to try?
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 06-Feb-2004, 02:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Alba

male

Ciamar a tha thu Cu Dubh?

Hai CelticRose, tha mi gu math tapadh leat ach tha mi air a bhi uabhasach trang.

Tigh is the older Scots Gaelic word for Taigh - House
Mare - I don't know, sorry...could it be 'mara' the genitive of 'muir' meaning sea in Gaelic?
In which case it would mean- the sea house or house of the sea...Tigh na mara. Which is a popular enough name for houses & guest houses in Scotland.

Co-dhiù. Chi mi a dh' aithghearr thu. Mar sin leat an-dràsda.

--------------------
Bruidhinnibh Gàidhlig Rium.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 07-Feb-2004, 02:48 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Tapadh leibh Cu Dubh! I appreciate it very much. House of the sea sounds right. My friend and I were trying to put it together and we came up with the possibility of that and you just confirmed it! Moran taing!

Ciamar a tha thu? Tha mi gle mhath. Tha i gle breagha an-diugh. Tha mi 'n dochas gu bheil sibh gu math. Ceud taing alrson do chiudeaschaidh.

Latha math an-drasda.

I was hoping more people would come in here and try the Gaidhlig. Hopefully we will get others. sad.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 07-Feb-2004, 10:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

male

Ciamar a tha thu? Tha mi gle mhath. Tha i gle breagha an-diugh. Tha mi 'n dochas gu bheil sibh gu math.

O aye, tha mi glè mhath tapadh leat ach tha i fuar ann an Alba an-dràsda agus tha an t-sneachd ann!

CelticRose the word 'glè' lenites the following word if possible (adds an 'h' following the 1st letter) so- brèagha BUT glè bhrèagha, fuar BUT glè fhuar. Words begining with L,N,R,Sg,Sm,Sp,St or a Vowel DO NOT lenite so- sgith and glè sgith. Ard(high) and glè àrd. Get the idea?
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 07-Feb-2004, 01:18 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Cù Dubh @ Feb 7 2004, 11:15 AM)
O aye, tha mi glè mhath tapadh leat ach tha i fuar ann an Alba an-dràsda agus tha an t-sneachd ann!

CelticRose the word 'glè' lenites the following word if possible (adds an 'h' following the 1st letter) so- brèagha BUT glè bhrèagha, fuar BUT glè fhuar. Words begining with L,N,R,Sg,Sm,Sp,St or a Vowel DO NOT lenite so- sgith and glè sgith. Ard(high) and glè àrd. Get the idea?

I think so. unsure.gif Tapadh leat! I see I made a typo error too...oops!

What is an t-sneachd ann?

Cù Dubh 
Posted: 07-Feb-2004, 02:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

male

In certain situations in Gaelic some words 'leniite' (an H is added as the second letter of the word) . This changes not only the look of the word but also the pronunciation. One of the situations when this happens in Scots Gaelic is after the word 'glè'. You can say- Tha i brèagha an-diugh, but if you insert the word glè you must lenite the following word, in this case brèagha becomes bHrèagha - Tha i glè bhrèagha an-diugh.
Breagha pronounced. Breeha
Bhreagha pr. Vreeha

Ro (too) is another word that does this.
Tha i fuar - It's cold
Tha i ro fhuar - It's too cold

Fuar pr. fooar
Fhuar pr ooar

The word cho (so) does not cause lenition in the following word however, so you can say-
Tha i fuar, or - Tha i cho fuar - It's so cold.... without worrying about lenition at all.

Tha an t-sneachd ann - It's snowing...An t-sneachd = The snow. Literally - It is the snow there.
To say it's raining you say - Tha an t-uisge ann

Oidhche mhath
(Oidhche being a feminine noun lenites the following adjective. In this case 'math' meaning good. Feasgar is a masculine noun so does not cause lenition - Feasgar math but Oidhche mHath), but that's another story. rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 07-Feb-2004, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

On wow! Cu Dubh! That is so wonderful! Thank you. Wish you had some folks in here to speak Gaelic with as you know it so very well. Maybe one day, eh? sad.gif I kind of been skimming through my Gaelic book, but the problem is is that I am reading three books right now and so Gaelic has been at the bottom of my list. But I am sure there are people lurking in here learning from you as I am! thumbs_up.gif
Shamalama 
Posted: 09-Feb-2004, 08:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Conyers, GA

male

I found this:

Scottish Gaelic in Three Months - Simplified Language Course

English-Gaelic Dictionary

Can anyone translate the "Every man dies, not every man really lives" phrase into Scots Gaelic?

--------------------

Clan Mac Cullaich:
- Brewed in Scotland
- Bottled in Ulster
- Uncorked in America

Common Folk Using Common Sense
PMEmail Poster               
mingkee 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 09:38 PM
Quote Post

An Asian Celt from Hong Kong
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Brooklyn, NY

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Dec 13 2003, 04:33 PM)
I love the language of Scots Gaelic. When I listen to Runrig and Capercaillie singing in the language, I wish I could sing along! It is so beautiful to me. I thought maybe those of us who wanted to try to learn a few words and phrases could meet here and share. A couple of my favorite learning Gaelic websites are the following as they give pronunciation as well.

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/ionnsachadh/bac/

http://www.scottishradiance.com/galsec.htm

I will start!

Feasgar Math
(good evening)

Is mise Rose
(I am Rose)

Ciamar a tha sibh
(how are you)

Tha mi glè mhath
(I am very good)

Moran taing
(Many thanks)

Anish slan a carag
(good bye, health)

smile.gif

I have Sileas: Play on Light
some in Scot Gaelic
sorry, I don't understand at all (I am not Celtic clan)
but it sounds wonderful

--------------------
a Chinese Celt from Hong Kong
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 03-Mar-2004, 04:24 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Mingkee, these two sites here will help you learn a bit, nothing like hearing it,but better than nothing.

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/ionnsachadh/bac/

http://www.scottishradiance.com/galsec.htm

Faileas 
  Posted: 03-Mar-2004, 04:39 PM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

QUOTE (shamalama @ Feb 9 2004, 02:05 PM)

Can anyone translate the "Every man dies, not every man really lives" phrase into Scots Gaelic?

Hi Shamalamas,

I think it's: "Bidh a h-uile daoine a' caochal, ach cha bhi gach neach beò dha-riribh". Cù Dubh? What do ye think?

Hope ye get yer dissertation done soon smile.gif

Beagan Gàidhlig a-nis wink.gif :

Tha mi uabhasach duilich, nach robh mi an seo cho fada, ach bha mi gu math trang agus cha robh mi a comhnaidh aig an taigh air ceann seachdain, air sàilleabh nach robh càr agam. Ach tha e ann an-drasta smile.gif

Bha mòran sneachd anns an Eilean Sgitheanach an t-seachdain sa chàidh, ach tha e air falbh a-nis. Bha na sgoiltean dùinte agus cha robh busaichean sam bith ann, air tàilleabh an droch shìde. Bha an latha an-diugh gu math fliuch agus chuir fèidh òg cèilidh ormse, mus dh' fhalbh mi leis a' bhus (tha mi ag obair ann ann oifis ann am Port Righ gu Dihaoine). Bidh na clasaichean ath - thoiseachadh Diluain mar as àbhaist. smile.gif

Translation:

I am terribly sorry that I was not here for such a long time, but i was quite busy, and I was not always at home at the weekend, because I had no car. But he is here now smile.gif

There was a lot of snow on the Isle of Skye last week, but it is gone now. The schools were closed and there were no buses of any kind because of bad weather. The day today was quite wet, and a deer paid me a visit yesterday before I left with the bus (I am working at an office in Port Righ till Friday). The classes will start again on monday as usual. smile.gif

--------------------
Scottish in Heart :-))

In the darkest heart the pride of man will walk allone

's ged tha mi fada bhuat cha dhealaich sinn a chaoidh

Darkover RPG
PMEmail Poster               
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 07-Mar-2004, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

male

Halò a Fhaileas is CelticRose, ciamar a tha sibh uile? Tha mi 'n dòchas gu bheil thu ceart gu leòr a-nis a Fhaileas agus tha càr agad a-rithist. smile.gif
I think it's: "Bidh a h-uile daoine a' caochal, ach cha bhi gach neach beò dha-riribh". Cù Dubh? What do ye think?

Well I've seen a similar question to this asked on another board and a native Gaelic speaker (whom we both know) wink.gif answered it by saying that a literal translation wasn't really as good in this situation. The answer she gave was this Gaelic proverb:-
Chan eil duine gun dà latha, ach duine gun latha idir.
Which all though not an exact translation gives the appropriate meaning. Hope that's some help

CelticRose, ciamar a tha do Ghàidhlig? A bheil thu a' leughadh an leabhair agad a-nis?
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
  Posted: 07-Mar-2004, 04:01 PM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

Mòran taing, a Chù Dhubh! smile.gif Saoilidh mi cò am boirennach seo wink.gif .... hehehe

Agus tha i ceart , mar as àbhaist lol.
PMEmail Poster               
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 07-Mar-2004, 04:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

male

Uill, eader mi-fhin 's tu fhèin - 'S e 'mise' a tha an t-ainm orra. Ach bha fios agad air sin! Haha.. laugh.gif O tha gu dearbh...Bidh i an còmhnaidh ceart...mar as àbhaist. biggrin.gif
Oidhche mhath mo chàraid. thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 07-Mar-2004, 05:01 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Cu Dubh and Faileas! I have been bad and not studying my Gaelic. I hope to see you and others in here practicing though. I am keeping notes in the meantime! wink.gif Hope this finds you all doing well.
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 08-Mar-2004, 03:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

male

I have been bad and not studying my Gaelic.

Mo mhasladh! CelticRose (Now you'll have to look that up in your Gaelic Dictionary!) laugh.gif
Thanx. I'm doing great. Weather cold but bright in Scotland at the moment. Hope all is well with you & yours. Beannachd leat CelticRose. beer_mug.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]