Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Family Stories, Share what you have learned so far....
dfilpus 
Posted: 05-Jun-2004, 05:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

Half of my great-grandfathers were illegitimate, which makes tracing back through their fathers difficult.

One great-grandfather was from a land-owning family (an aristocrat of sorts). He basically took his share of the family money and came to America.

The family mansion was immense. In the next generation, the mansion was occupied by two spinster sisters and a much younger brother. The brother went off the city to get some education. When he came back, he had married a city girl. His sisters disowned him and moved to the far end of the mansion. They lived at each of the mansion for years, only to meet for holiday dinner.

My mother has an oil painting of the old mansion. A soldier who was fighting in the Russo-Finnish War painted it as payment for his stay in the mansion on the way to the front. Much later, after the old mansion burned, there was a big fight amongst the family as to who would inherit the painting. The brother shipped the painting to my mother here in America to settle the peace in the Finnish family.

After the mansion burned, the family built three "cottages" on the property. One for each of the sisters and one for the brother and his family. Each of the cottages would be considered mansions in this country, but combined were not as big as the old mansion.

I hope some day to inherit this painting.

--------------------
Näkemiin

Dave (SCA: Geoffrey Genour of Carney)
Protector of Bits and Bytes, Third cousin once removed to Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light

user posted image

Help out with the site! Win prizes!
Suggest videos at VideoCelt.com

Check out the outstanding video - Merchant Marine by Celtae
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 08-Jun-2004, 01:27 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

On my mother's side we've been here for a while. Back, after the French and Indian War, my great (x alot) grandfather and grandmother lived in the Ohio River Valley and they paid for their released slaves trip back to Africa. They owned a large farm and many of the families male members were priests. Except, supposedly, in one generation we had a horse theif and then like two generations later we had a sheriff. A great great great great granduncle on my mom's side was taken captive by the Confederates.

On my dad's mom's side there is an interesting story of how they got to Puerto Rico. Back in the past the oldest son would inherit, and then if there were no sons to inherit it would go to the younger brother of the current holder of the land. Well, the story starts in Spain where there were two sons of an elderly lord (eldest son great great great (and so on) of my grandma). This elderly lord had a greedy younger brother who wanted the land once his brother passed on. So one day the younger brother took the two sons to the docks. The two sons then ended up on a ship bound for puerto rico where the eldest met his wife. My grandma still has connections with relatives in Spain.

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 08-Jun-2004, 04:06 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Some really interesting stories! Thank you all for sharing! smile.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 07-Oct-2004, 08:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

One tragic story is of my G-Grandmother, Honora Carty Egan. Word is, she had 22 children but eleven survived. By the late 1890's, most of the children had either married or moved to the U.S. or Canada. There were only two children left living at the farm, who were in there upper teens, that wanted nothing to do with farming. It left Honora and G-Grandfather Patrick doing most of the work.
Honora was feeding the animals one day and turned her back on the bull and the bull tore into her and trampled her to death. At 4'11", she never had a chance. She was 66 years old.

Her son Thomas, took the bull to market a few days later and sold it, promptly jumped on a ship for the U.S. and was never heard from again.
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 07-Oct-2004, 10:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

crybaby.gif crybaby.gif crybaby.gif crybaby.gif \

That story is terribly sad.
Q? WHAT HAPPENED TO PATRICK?

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 09-Oct-2004, 11:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

That happened in 1900 and Patrick lived for another 7 years after that. He died at 70 years old.
PMEmail Poster               
Cailiosa 
Posted: 10-Oct-2004, 07:45 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

The most exciting thing I've discovered was my relation to the notorious Shelton gang of Peoria, Illinois.

More information on them here and here.
Though they aren't on my direct line, they're close enough (and interesting enough) to claim. thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
"For man He suffered and He died:
If man will take His word as guide
And leave all infamy,
Then we shall come to happiness
And blisses more than we can guess in Jesu's company."

Check out my journal
PMEmail Poster               
Crebain 
Posted: 07-Nov-2004, 08:27 AM
Quote Post

Crow Lord
Group Icon

Group: Isle of Man
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Sweden

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #71
112,489 Gold!

I'm not a genealogy researcher my self but my parents are and they have found quite a lot of ancestors, I think they have over 10000 names in their data base by now.

What I think is interesting is that on my fathers mothers side they have found a long line of viking kings, queens and other nobles.

I have helped them with a web site where they present some of their research.
Unfortunately for you some data base information are only written in swedish but if you would like to see their web site the url is:
http://w1.044.telia.com/~u04400073/eng/index.htm

And to see my viking ancestors click on the picture of Kerstin.

By the way having kings and queens as ancestors does that make me a prince?

king.gif

PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 07-Nov-2004, 03:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (Crebain @ 07-Nov-2004, 09:27 AM)

By the way having kings and queens as ancestors does that make me a prince?

king.gif

Probably not. If that were so, we would all be princes and princesses. Virtually everyone of European descent likely has royalty somewhere in their lineage. The trick is finding and detailing the precise links. Some of William the Conqueor's ancestor were sufficiently prolific that that the odds are quite good that anyone with ancestors in Great Britain has Viking ancestry, albeit probably not in the direct paternal line.

For example, here's one of my likely Viking lineages (I say likely because there are simply too many links to verify them all).
WALTER MELVIN39 MORGAN (MAUD ELLEN40 FRANKLIN, BURGESS39, ELIZABETH38 JEFFRIES, PRICILLA37 WOOLSEY, MARY36 HOPKINS, FRANCIS35, MARTHA34 WHALEY, THEOPHILUS33, RICHARD32, THOMAS31 WALLEY, RICHARD30 WHALLEY, THOMAS29, RICHARD28, DOROTHY27 WILLOUGHBY, ROBERT (ESQ)26, MARGARET25 DE FREVILLE, BALDWIN24 FREVILE, BALDWIN23 FREVILLE, ELIZABETH22 MONTFORT, JOHN21 DE MONTFORT, PETER/PIERS20, PIERS19, THURSTAN18, HENRY17, THURSTAN16, ADELINA15 DE BEAUMONT, ISABEL14 OF VERMANDOIS, HUGH "THE GREAT"13, HENRY12 KING OF FRANCE I, ROBERT II "THE PIOUS"11, ADELAIDE10 OF GERMANY, ADELA/GERLOC9 OF NORMANDY, ROLF/ROLLON8, ROGNVALD "THE WISE"7 EYSTEINSSON, EYSTEIN "GLUMRA"6 IVARSSON, IVAR "OPLAENDINGE"5, HALFDAN "THE OLD"4, SIGURD "RING"3 RANDVERSSON, RANDVER2, RADBART1KING, GARDERIGE-)
As some of the Viking names also appear on the web site you reference, we would appear to likely be very distant cousins.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]