Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Save Net Radio Coalition, Help Save Internet Radio!
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 16-Jul-2007, 06:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

male

Well done, everyone, especially Paul!
We all need to keep in mind the worods of Yogi Berra: "It's not over until it's over." and keep up the good fight until Congress does the right thing.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
Irishmusiclover 
Posted: 16-Jul-2007, 10:55 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacOak

Realm: Champlin Minnesota USA

female

We sure do and we sure will
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 16-Jul-2007, 03:03 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Despite my lack of comments in this thread, I have been trying to save internet radio in my own way. I have contacted my senator twice....I too went off script! I have had a problem contacting my congessmen for some reason...probably my fault in not doing something right.

anyway, I went to more desperate measures and contacted a friend of mine who is one of the producers of a Tucson news stations and I asked him if he would address this problem and make it known to all out there so more people would be aware on this crisis! I have another friend whose husband who is a newscaster and going to contact her now and see if they can try and help us out and spread the word.

You know? I am so stupid. I thought this affected internet radio only, which I have done my part to save. but I guess I didn't realize it could possibly shut the whole forum down! My gosh! It hit me today and I am in a panic and sick mode at this time. So will do what I can, even more!

God save us!

edited due to spelling and other sentence errors!

This post has been edited by CelticRose on 16-Jul-2007, 03:06 PM
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 16-Jul-2007, 07:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Even though I can't listen to HR at the moment I really dread the thought of the forum not even being here. Even more the thought of absoulutly no access to Celtic music aside from sound samples at Amazon. Its still a wonderful place for ideas and music sugestions even if the free player doesn't work right now on my computer. I wouldn't have heard of many of the bands I've come to know and love if it wasn't for this service despite the fact that I try to keep up with the celtic music scene as much as possible. And I can imagine its the same for people who love all the other types of music found on the Live 365 and the rest of the net. I grew tired of the top 40 reregergitated stuff they play on regular radio along time ago and I reallly don't care to have to listen to it again. So keep up the fight people. Its us lonely small communities and people on the edge of nowherewith one one or two top 40 stations and who have no other musical alternatives that you are fighting for.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 29-Jul-2007, 08:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Got the email/newsletter today that states we are still in the game while they work things out.
to quote: Internet Radio has been given a stay while Congress, Webcasters and Soundexchange work out a compromise. This is a direct result of the millions of listeners, webcasters and musicians calling their representatives. All we can say is thank you very much and keep the good fight going. Your calls have made a difference!

Still not out of the woods but at least there is some light coming through the treetops. Keep calling
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 04-Aug-2007, 08:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
221,761 Gold!

Barring "great progress" in negotiations between webcasters and the recording industry by Labor Day, two prominent senators announced yesterday that they will take "expeditious steps" towards the passage of the Internet Radio Equality Act.

Sounds like congress and the senate are getting fed up with the RIAA and Soundexchange.

Passage of the Internet Radio Equality Act will allow small webcasters to continue to stream - either through a service like Live365 or on their own!

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
stevenpd 
Posted: 08-Aug-2007, 09:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

Keep on dripping!

News Release. . .

United States Senate

For Immediate Release:
August 2, 2007

Wyden, Brownback Call CRB Rates for Webcasters “Unfounded”

Promise to move forward with “Internet Radio Equality Act” unless progress is made by Labor Day

Washington, DC – U.S. Senators Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Sam Brownback (R-Kan), Senate sponsors of the “Internet Radio Equality Act” released the following statement today regarding efforts to save Internet radio:

“We sponsored the Internet Radio Equality Act because the Copyright Royalty Board’s decision to dramatically increase royalties and apply what we see as unfounded minimum rates threatens to devastate the Internet radio industry. The fact is online radio services do not have enough revenue to support what will amount to unprecedented royalties. The $500 per channel minimum fee alone will deliver an over $1 billion annual windfall to record companies, a windfall that is not justified by any business or equity considerations.

“Now we are hearing that the recording industry is attempting to use this aspect of the CRB decision to force webcasters to adopt recording restrictions far in excess of the controls that have governed broadcast content for decades. While we strongly support a negotiated solution, we will not allow the minimum fee issue to be used to force an agreement that mandates DRM technology and fails to respect the established principles of fair use and consumer rights.

“After the July 15 deadline came and went we were pleased to learn that SoundExchange was negotiating with webcasters, and we expected to avoid pushing forward with this legislation. But, as Congress heads into its August recess, we are troubled by the lack of negotiating progress being reported. Broadcasters report that their June 6 offer to SoundExchange has yet to warrant a response, and webcasters report that negotiating meetings with SoundExchange are proving difficult to schedule.

“Internet radio is crucial to many segments of business and culture – to small and large webcasters building sustainable businesses; to independent artists trying to make it in a crowded industry; and to millions of music fans searching for new diverse music that corporate radio generally does not offer. Innovation and creativity are the winners if Internet radio flourishes, and are the losers if Internet radio stagnates.

“If great progress toward a fair solution for webcasters is not made by Congress’s return to Washington after Labor Day, then we plan to take expeditious steps toward passage of the Internet Radio Equality Act. We feel the Senate must take action, and we will make every effort move the Internet Radio Equality Act to the floor.”

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2018 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 24-Sep-2007, 07:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Just got this from Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) (apparently his aides don't check their email inboxes too often):

Thank you for contacting me regarding the increase in royalty rates for webcasters. I appreciate hearing from you.

In 2002, Congress passed the Small Webcasters Settlement Act (SWSA), which allowed small webcasters to pay royalties based on a percentage of revenue rather than on a per-song, per-listener basis. The royalty rates established in this legislation, however, were only effective through 2005.

Shortly after the expiration of SWSA, the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) announced new royalty rates, effective until December 31, 2010, that required small webcasters to again pay on a per-song, per-listener basis. Despite opposition from the Digital Media Association, National Public Radio, and others, these rates went into effect on July 15, 2007.

During the last several months, the CRB has been negotiating with webcasters in an attempt to reconcile their differences and establish royalty rates that are both fair and legal.

In addition, the Internet Radio Equality Act of 2007 (S. 1353) was introduced on May 10, 2007. This measure would nullify the new royalty rates and also would change the standards for determining "reasonable" rates and terms for royalties. Supporters of this bill believe it would protect the viability of small webcasters, who often see their programming as a public service broadcasting and who expand the diversity of music available on the web. Opponents claim that the CRB ruling was fair and took into consideration the best interests of all parties involved.

This legislation has been referred to the Judiciary Committee, of which I am a member. I will keep your thoughts in mind as the committee considers this issue.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. Please feel free to keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
CelticRadio 
Posted: 12-Nov-2007, 08:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
221,761 Gold!

QUOTE (patternweaver @ 13-Jul-2007, 09:35 AM)
Got an excellent response from the office of Rep. Olver (Western MA). He is a co-sponser. Bill still in committee (unfortunately not one he is on). Fully supports the Bill. Sen. Kerry supports the bill as per a casual response from his office and Sen. Kennedy is still thinking about it. Keep calling. Senators who are "still thinking about it" need to hear that their constituants want them to support it. Phone calls work MUCH better than e-mails.

My thanks for David MacRae's unwavering support of Celtic Radio and for internet radio while he was here on this earthly world. Unfortunately, we learned tonight that Patterweaver had a massive stroke and has passed on.

Our prayers and sympathy go out to his family.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
haynes9 
Posted: 12-Nov-2007, 08:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Thanks for letting us know, Paul. We will sure keep the family in prayer.

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
gcw57 
Posted: 12-Nov-2007, 11:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: British Columbia

male

David McRae sounds like a fine man who was willing to back his beliefs with hard work. It's always a sad day when we lose more of the good people.

As a Canadian, there is little that I can do to convince senators, congressmen or other government people because I don't vote in the US - though I have dropped a few notes to influential Americans.

I applaud David and others who have done so much to save internet radio. May his efforts lead to success and may he be an inspiration to others. I will be pleased to remember him, and his family & friends, in prayer.

--------------------
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 14-May-2008, 06:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
221,761 Gold!

We have not had an update on the Internet Radio issues in a while, but it is rearing its ugly head again!

Here is an update from Live365 about the current issues and what you can do to help:

Dear SaveNetRadio supporter,

It has been a year since an increase in royalty fees for webcasters put the future of Internet radio at risk. Since then, more than 2 million people have called on Congress to save Internet radio, the Internet Radio Equality Act has been cosponsored by 150 Members of Congress, and a hearing was held in the House Small Business Committee. In spite of all this - nothing has changed. We need your help.

On Thursday May 15, Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas will introduce the Internet Radio Equality Act (IREA) as an amendment to the Orphan Works Bill (S. 2913) while it is being considered by the Senate Judiciary Committee . As you know, the IREA would level the playing field for Internet radio webcasters and promote greater parity within the radio industry, while doing away with the discrimination that now forces webcasters to pay fees more than twice as high as their closest competition, cable and satellite radio.

You can help. At least one of your Senators is a Member of the Judiciary Committee and we need their support. Call them today and ask them to support independent artists, small businesses, and the future of Internet radio. You can find their phone number and talking points here: http://www.capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/al...rt_9738601.html. Ask your Senator to support the Brownback Amendment to S. 2913.

We need your help to remind Congress that though Internet radio is still on the air and artists are still being paid for their work by webcasters, nothing has been resolved and we need them to act.

On behalf of webcasters, artists and fellow Internet radio listeners everywhere, thank you. Let's finish what we started a year ago.
CelticRadio 
Posted: 31-Jul-2008, 06:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
221,761 Gold!

After a who year has gone by, we are finally seeing some results. Please read the Radio and Internet Newsletter for the latest news about Senate hearings which appear to be going the Webcasters way:

http://textpattern.kurthanson.com/articles...glimmer-of-hope
ogdenmusic 
Posted: 05-Oct-2008, 10:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Cincinnati, OHIO

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #39
166,951 Gold!

Oct. 1, 2008

Senate Approves Webcaster Settlement Act

Solution for Webcasters May Be Nearing

WASHINGTON D.C. – Legislation authorizing SoundExchange to negotiate royalty agreements with webcasters on behalf of copyright owners and performers before the end of the year has been approved by the U.S. Senate. The Webcaster Settlement Act of 2008 (H.R. 7084), passed unanimously in the House of Representatives earlier this week, was approved by the Senate yesterday evening and now awaits President Bush’s signature.

http://www.savenetradio.org/latest_news/08-10-01.html

--------------------
GO KENTUCKY WILDCATS
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]