Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> School Education Influence On Family., What's happened to it?
Bookmark and Share
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 06-Aug-2008, 07:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacVine

female

I did not have my school education in either a private school nor my teachers were religious figures. I went to a public school and I think at that time the school system was still in good order to provide us kids with good values on life.

How fast things have change in so short of time, I don't know. I don't have kids for myself but it's obvious that the education is far from what it use to be in my time.
How come it has change like that? Why today people seem to just start to be aware that in public schools the system is failing and public schools are emptying every year in exchange for the private schools.

I think the school education has a great influence on family for it to be challenge like that that the people want their kids to have better education and think to get it in private schools.

I know some here are teachers and I know that it's not easy teaching a class today.Here in Quebec the system just sucks it's awful. Teachers gets death threats,beaten or even harassed by students.

How does the school system influence your life?

LOA

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 06-Aug-2008, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

LOA;

My ex. from her first day in kindergarten till she graduated from grade 13 was educated by Nuns. It messed her all up. I know I was married to her. (The Heathen and The Catholic)

Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 06-Aug-2008, 11:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I was left handed at a time when all students were to be right (proper) handed. My hands were nearly crippled with an old fashioned ruler until I figured out that if my paper was turned the right handed way (we reached an uneasy truce) they left me alone. To this day, I write upside down.

It got no better as my kids grew up. The points of contention just changed.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 07-Aug-2008, 12:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Phenix City, AL - back in the good ole USA

female

I went to public school in Germany. We were taught right from wrong and we had respect for our teachers.

Today a lot of children don't get taught respect anymore. Be it in the US or in Germany. When I hear the news it just makes me wonder. Weapons in school, beatings till kids are in a coma, teachers and students get killed.

I think it's partially because of the medication that's being provided now for everything. Once the kids get older they are so used to this that without it they can't function anymore. I know some kids need the medication - but in my opinion those are a few. I think in today's society most teachers and parents don't want to deal with a child that needs a bit more attention and so they put it on medicine to keep it in line and make life less stressful.

Also today I guess it's the thing - parents think the school should raise the children and the school thinks the parents should do it. They pull on two different ropes and the kids get confused and so they rebel at every step of the way. And it starts with - they do whatever they think is cool and makes them part of a clique so they have some kind of a family.

I think they are trying to raise themselves and that can't end good - since neither of them know the values and respect since their elders never taught them.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Camac
Posted: 07-Aug-2008, 08:03 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Monarchs Own

To many parents nowadays leave it up the the schools to raise their children because )they are so busy with their lives) they are to damn lazy to do it themselves. Discipline begins in the home and without parental discipline a child will never learn self-discipline. I see it on the news, some young man gets shot tto death and the weeping Mother screaming why why he was such a good boy. Well if he was such a good boy what was he doing running with one of the most notorious street gangs in the city and why was he well known to the police. The blame lies with the parents or parent.

Camac.

Monarchs Own 
Posted: 07-Aug-2008, 09:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Phenix City, AL - back in the good ole USA

female

That's what I think as well. As I said the school thinks the parents should do it and the other way around.

I am so glad, that I don't have to work and my husband is providing very good for us so I don't even need to think about working.

I am a stay-at-home-mother and I am glad that I can handle at least a great part of my son's education in all fields (well we leave math out of the equation).

I think it's the teachers job to teach the subjects and sometimes give a good advice to a student and interfere when it's needed but inform the parents so the parent can take steps. And it's the parent's job to raise upstanding children which will be able to make good choices (of course everybody makes mistakes) and know right from wrong.

The best way is that teachers and parents should work together if a problem arises. One teacher can't raise over 20 kids at once. But a parent can raise one child at a time.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Camac
Posted: 07-Aug-2008, 09:43 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

MonarchsOwn;

It is the teachers job to teach and to maintain discipline in the classroom. When I attended public school teachers still had the right to meet out punishment in the form of the strap and of course "Ye trusty old ruler"or a box in the ears. Added to this was the letter that accompanied you home after you had incurred their wrath enough to give you that punishment. This letter usually gave rise to another hammering from Mom or Dad. I realize nowaday this is classed as abuse but in those days it was called "keeping you in line" and the police away from the door.

Camac.

PS> Disciplne in the Catholic System was stricter.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 07-Aug-2008, 12:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Camac @ 07-Aug-2008, 09:03 AM)
Monarchs Own

To many parents nowadays leave it up the the schools to raise their children because )they are so busy with their lives) they are to damn lazy to do it themselves. Discipline begins in the home and without parental discipline a child will never learn self-discipline. I see it on the news, some young man gets shot tto death and the weeping Mother screaming why why he was such a good boy. Well if he was such a good boy what was he doing running with one of the most notorious street gangs in the city and why was he well known to the police. The blame lies with the parents or parent.

Camac.

Monarchs Own Posted on 07-Aug-2008, 10:25 AM

That's what I think as well. As I said the school thinks the parents should do it and the other way around.

I am so glad, that I don't have to work and my husband is providing very good for us so I don't even need to think about working.

I am a stay-at-home-mother and I am glad that I can handle at least a great part of my son's education in all fields (well we leave math out of the equation).

I think it's the teachers job to teach the subjects and sometimes give a good advice to a student and interfere when it's needed but inform the parents so the parent can take steps. And it's the parent's job to raise upstanding children which will be able to make good choices (of course everybody makes mistakes) and know right from wrong.

The best way is that teachers and parents should work together if a problem arises. One teacher can't raise over 20 kids at once. But a parent can raise one child at a time.

I agree with both of your views. It's like we're taking a step back in time and when I say step back it's a huge one. In the days of our grand parents and great grand parents respects to elders and family values we tought in school maybe sometime I admit the hard way but respect was a must in any kids education especially towards parents.
Today discipline is viewed as abuse towards kids's rights. Discipline doesn't have to be tought by beating it in someones head but by communication and there are many other ways to discipline to make kids understand the difference between what is right and what is wrong.
There is the fact also that we are a society with needs,what I mean with needs actually is we have become ''materialistic'' what kids want,kids have.
In my youth my parents couldn't afford that kind of behavior from us.
In class today there is the big problem with cell phones, how come kids with the age of 7 to 11 years old possess these expensive things that in the fisrt place don't even need. How come parents allow this?I don't think they even realize that it interferes with their kids future.

LOA
PM My Photo Album               
Antwn 
Posted: 07-Aug-2008, 01:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

Cell phones for elementary aged kids? Well, from the parent's point of view I suspect the motivation is safety and the extended ability to call little Timmy and find out what he's doing while you're at work. Also kids have the ability to call Mom/Dad in a jam anytime/where. I think they should be turned off during school - or at least in class definitely.

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 07-Aug-2008, 01:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Antwn @ 07-Aug-2008, 01:41 PM)
Cell phones for elementary aged kids? Well, from the parent's point of view I suspect the motivation is safety and the extended ability to call little Timmy and find out what he's doing while you're at work. Also kids have the ability to call Mom/Dad in a jam anytime/where. I think they should be turned off during school - or at least in class definitely.

Speaking as a teacher, I can tell you the things are a right pain in the patoot. They don't turn them off during class, they're afraid to miss something. Lately I've had trouble with kids texting who say they're "taking notes."

As far as calling to find out what they're doing -- did you hear about the next generation iPhone? 2 new functions -- it lies to your mother about where you are, and it holds back your hair while you throw up.
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 07-Aug-2008, 02:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 07-Aug-2008, 02:57 PM)
Speaking as a teacher, I can tell you the things are a right pain in the patoot. They don't turn them off during class, they're afraid to miss something. Lately I've had trouble with kids texting who say they're "taking notes."

As far as calling to find out what they're doing -- did you hear about the next generation iPhone? 2 new functions -- it lies to your mother about where you are, and it holds back your hair while you throw up.

I bet that phone is coming. I am glad my kids are raised. My daughter in law and son have 3 boys. I was the baby sitter when their oldest wat 5 years old. He was a terror because his mother didn't believe in spanking him or much of anytrhing else for that matter. One day he ran out toward the corn field behind the house. I shouted to stop him and he made a smart comment. I told him that when I caught him and I would I would, beat him till he couldn't walk and I didn't give a damn what his mother said. It stopped him and when my daughter in law got home I quit as a babysitter. Within a couple of days, her mother quit babysitting too and told her if she didnt control "that kid" she would not watch him any more. For a couple of weeks the poor boy thought his butt was a target but the attitude change was unbelievable!

I do not believe in beating kids but sometimes you have to get their attention!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 07-Aug-2008, 08:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

From the looks of things its about to get worse. Sorry, but I thought schools were there to teach the basics and the parents and the faamilies faith community was suppose to teach religion and morals. I think that the fact that they seem to want to shut down the home scholling system is in itself a crime.

The NEA Spells Out Its Policies
by Phyllis Schlafly
The nation's largest teachers union, the National Education Association, attracted 9,000 delegates to its annual convention in Washington, D.C. over the Fourth of July weekend. Delegates sported buttons with provocative slogans such as "Gay marriage causes Global Warming only because we are so hot!", "Hate is not a family value," "The 'Christian Right' is neither," and "Gay Rights are civil rights."

The delegates passed dozens of hard-hitting resolutions that now become the NEA's official policy. The resolutions authorize NEA members and employees to lobby for those goals in the halls of Congress and state capitols.

NEA resolutions cover the waterfront of all sorts of political issues that have nothing to do with improving education for schoolchildren, such as supporting statehood for the District of Columbia, a "single-payer health care plan" (i.e., government-run), gun control, ratification of the International Criminal Court Treaty, and taking steps "to change activities that contribute to global climate change."

The NEA fiercely opposes any competition for public schools, such as vouchers, tuition tax credits, parental option plans, or public support of any kind to non-public schools. The NEA strongly opposes designating English as our official language even though such a designation is supported by more than 80 percent of Americans.

The NEA opposes home schooling unless children are taught by state-licensed teachers using a state-approved curriculum. The NEA wants to bar home-schooled students from participating in any extracurricular activities in public schools even though their parents pay school taxes, too.

The NEA wants many additional (job-creating) services and programs to be provided by public schools such as early childhood education (i.e., baby-sitting for preschoolers). NEA resolutions call for "programs in the public schools for children from birth through age 8," and for "mandatory kindergarten with compulsory attendance."

NEA resolutions include all the major feminist goals such as "the right to reproductive freedom" (i.e., abortion on demand); "comparable worth" (i.e., government control of wages according to feminist ideology rather than the free market); full funding for the feminist boondoggle called the Women's Educational Equity Act; and "the use of nonsexist language," i.e., censoring out all masculine words such as husband and father.

The NEA even urges its affiliates to work for ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment. The ERA was declared dead by the U.S.

Supreme Court 26 years ago.

The influence of the gay lobby is pervasive in dozens of NEA resolutions adopted by 2008 convention delegates. Diversity is the code word used for pro-gay indoctrination in the classroom.

The NEA's diversity resolution makes clear that this means teaching about "sexual orientation" and "gender identification," words that are repeated in dozens of resolutions. The NEA demands that "diversity-based curricula" even be imposed on preschoolers.

NEA convention delegates were invited to an open hearing by the SOGI Committee in Room 149A on July 1. In case you don't know, SOGI stands for Sexual Orientation Gender Identification.

The NEA urges its members to offer "diverse role models" via the "hiring and promotion of diverse education employees in our public schools." The NEA puts "domestic partnerships, civil unions, and marriage" on an equal footing.

The NEA wants every child, regardless of age, to have "direct and confidential access, without notification to parents, to comprehensive health education. That would include things such as learning how to use condoms for premarital sex, as well as social, and psychological programs and services."

The NEA wants public schools to take over the physical and mental care of students through school clinics that provide services, diagnosis, treatment, family-planning counseling, and access to birth control methods "with instruction in their use." Family planning clinics are called on to "provide intensive counseling."

The NEA wants all sex-education courses, textbooks, curricula, instructional materials and activities to include indoctrination about sexual orientation and gender identification plus warnings about homophobia.

The NEA is very generous with taxpayer money spent on illegal immigrants. The NEA not only favors amnesty for illegal-immigrant students, but also in-state college tuition and financial aid to illegal-immigrant college students.

The NEA is strong for "multicultural education," which the resolution makes clear does not mean studying facts about different countries and cultures. It means "the process of incorporating the values" and influencing "behavior" toward the NEA's version of "the common good," such as "reducing homophobia."

Of course, the NEA supports "global education" to teach "interdependency in sharing the world's resources." It's also no surprise that the NEA adamantly opposes any requirement that schools "schedule a moment of silence."

Will parents be silent about the radical goals of their children's teachers?
link to original article
http://townhall.com/columnists/PhyllisSchl...l&comments=true

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 07-Aug-2008, 09:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I can see why my sister and brother in law retired when they did!

I am going to forward this article and link and give it to my children. Three grandchildren are not attending Catholic school but maybe it is time that changes. I guarantee the Catholic church isn't promoting gay issues. That leaves more time for teaching basics.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 11-Aug-2008, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Robert Phoenix @ 07-Aug-2008, 09:06 PM)
From the looks of things its about to get worse.  Sorry, but I thought schools were there to teach the basics and the parents and the families faith community was suppose to teach religion and morals.  I think that the fact that they seem to want to shut down the home scholling system is in itself a crime.

The NEA Spells Out Its Policies
by Phyllis Schlafly
The nation's largest teachers union, the National Education Association, attracted 9,000 delegates to its annual convention in Washington, D.C. over the Fourth of July weekend. Delegates sported buttons with provocative slogans such as "Gay marriage causes Global Warming only because we are so hot!", "Hate is not a family value," "The 'Christian Right' is neither," and "Gay Rights are civil rights."

The delegates passed dozens of hard-hitting resolutions that now become the NEA's official policy. The resolutions authorize NEA members and employees to lobby for those goals in the halls of Congress and state capitols.

NEA resolutions cover the waterfront of all sorts of political issues that have nothing to do with improving education for schoolchildren, such as supporting statehood for the District of Columbia, a "single-payer health care plan" (i.e., government-run), gun control, ratification of the International Criminal Court Treaty, and taking steps "to change activities that contribute to global climate change."

The NEA fiercely opposes any competition for public schools, such as vouchers, tuition tax credits, parental option plans, or public support of any kind to non-public schools. The NEA strongly opposes designating English as our official language even though such a designation is supported by more than 80 percent of Americans.

The NEA opposes home schooling unless children are taught by state-licensed teachers using a state-approved curriculum. The NEA wants to bar home-schooled students from participating in any extracurricular activities in public schools even though their parents pay school taxes, too.

The NEA wants many additional (job-creating) services and programs to be provided by public schools such as early childhood education (i.e., baby-sitting for preschoolers). NEA resolutions call for "programs in the public schools for children from birth through age 8," and for "mandatory kindergarten with compulsory attendance."

NEA resolutions include all the major feminist goals such as "the right to reproductive freedom" (i.e., abortion on demand); "comparable worth" (i.e., government control of wages according to feminist ideology rather than the free market); full funding for the feminist boondoggle called the Women's Educational Equity Act; and "the use of nonsexist language," i.e., censoring out all masculine words such as husband and father.

The NEA even urges its affiliates to work for ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment. The ERA was declared dead by the U.S.

Supreme Court 26 years ago.

The influence of the gay lobby is pervasive in dozens of NEA resolutions adopted by 2008 convention delegates. Diversity is the code word used for pro-gay indoctrination in the classroom.

The NEA's diversity resolution makes clear that this means teaching about "sexual orientation" and "gender identification," words that are repeated in dozens of resolutions. The NEA demands that "diversity-based curricula" even be imposed on preschoolers.

NEA convention delegates were invited to an open hearing by the SOGI Committee in Room 149A on July 1. In case you don't know, SOGI stands for Sexual Orientation Gender Identification.

The NEA urges its members to offer "diverse role models" via the "hiring and promotion of diverse education employees in our public schools." The NEA puts "domestic partnerships, civil unions, and marriage" on an equal footing.

The NEA wants every child, regardless of age, to have "direct and confidential access, without notification to parents, to comprehensive health education. That would include things such as learning how to use condoms for premarital sex, as well as social, and psychological programs and services."

The NEA wants public schools to take over the physical and mental care of students through school clinics that provide services, diagnosis, treatment, family-planning counseling, and access to birth control methods "with instruction in their use." Family planning clinics are called on to "provide intensive counseling."

The NEA wants all sex-education courses, textbooks, curricula, instructional materials and activities to include indoctrination about sexual orientation and gender identification plus warnings about homophobia.

The NEA is very generous with taxpayer money spent on illegal immigrants. The NEA not only favors amnesty for illegal-immigrant students, but also in-state college tuition and financial aid to illegal-immigrant college students.

The NEA is strong for "multicultural education," which the resolution makes clear does not mean studying facts about different countries and cultures. It means "the process of incorporating the values" and influencing "behavior" toward the NEA's version of "the common good," such as "reducing homophobia."

Of course, the NEA supports "global education" to teach "interdependency in sharing the world's resources." It's also no surprise that the NEA adamantly opposes any requirement that schools "schedule a moment of silence."

Will parents be silent about the radical goals of their children's teachers?
link to original article
http://townhall.com/columnists/PhyllisSchl...l&comments=true

No offense, but I think your nation teacher union (NEA) and all the delegates should be all fired.
And your school system cleaned up from ground up by firing those with other thoughts then to teach and educate kids for their future.

That's what school system is all about. To prepare kids for their future, as it is now there is nothing or few and far between good teachers that still believe in good teaching values to kids.

I pity the parents today that have to deal with this jungle of sexual freedom in school. No wonder kids don't have anymore dreams or respect for anything other then having fun and experience what is usually for grown ups.
How can one see clearly in all of this except that maybe it's about time for some clean up? And at least have our taxes worth something.

LOA
PM My Photo Album               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 18-Aug-2008, 02:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

I had some friends over for the week-end and we were discussing school. It was his daughter's inscription at the school last friday.
One thing very interesting that actually ticked me off was the charge they asked him to pay for the daughter to attend 160.00$ plus other charges for school uniforms (that's a first) and he been told to expect other charges for books needed for class.

Wow! How amazing that in public schools the amount of money a parent has to pay extra on top of the already high school taxes everybody pays each year for the public system.
Also, a parent has to pay another extra for his kid to eat at school, imagine that even if this one has his own lunch.
This is revolting, in my days, my parents had to pay for our uniforms and some books,crayons and such that's fine but NEVER for inscription or to eat at the school cafeteria.
I knew that things had change in regards of paying books but it's getting ridiculous and appaling.Not everybody has the same purse and the public school system is there for all parents shouldn't have to pay extras to send their kids to school.

No wonder people send their young in private ones instead of public.

LOA
PM My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt