Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Celtic Connection, confusion?
karaokeguitarman 
Posted: 28-Feb-2005, 07:53 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

I am intrigued by the inclusion of Bing Crosby and what connection he has with Celtic music? Is it the same connection as we often witness in the North American continent of St Patrick's day celebrations ably led by a SCOTTISH pipe band wearing SCOTTISH costume and playing SCOTTISH piping music?
Whilst I am very fond of the pipe band myself(being a scot) what it has got to do with St Patrick I have no idea,nor does anyone here?
A celebration of celtic music and art I welcome but a complete and total inability to understand its definition dilutes my culture rather than celebrates it.
I must confess however not being aware of every track Bing Crosby recorded and he may well have sang a song from the Eire republic,although I am not aware of it.This hardly qualifies as admission or does it?
Celtic music is essentially born of/ pertaining to that culture,and those nations who are populated by a celtic presence.
The Scots,Welsh,Breton,Catalonian and Irish are to be found all over the world,of this there is little doubt but when people sit down and start writing songs in the "celtic style"(whatever it means) I squirm!They are no more celtic than a kangaroo is ,but you seem to qualify them too because many scots settled in Australia.
Sorry but this has got absolutely no connection which is tangible and therefore will be ridiculed by many.
PMEmail Poster               
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 28-Feb-2005, 01:00 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

Hello, Karaokeguitarman. It's nice to meet you. MacEoghainn explained it to us in a different topic. It was news to me, too! Hope to see you around. beer_mug.gif

-Em

(MDF3530 @ 21-Feb-2005, 05:08 PM)
I just checked out the list. Never thought I'd see Bing Crosby here ...

(MacEoghainn Posted: 21-Feb-2005, 06:02 PM)
Just because the music doesn't have a bagpipe or a tin whistle in it doesn't mean it's not "Celtic"!

From Genealogy.com

Ancestry of Bing Crosby
To lots of people, Bing Crosby will be remembered as the role he played in the movies ? the quintessential Irish priest. Given this, it may not be surprising that his mother's family originated in County Cork, Ireland. His father's lineage, on the other hand, can be traced to the Mayflower's William Brewster. An accomplished actor and singer, his "White Christmas" is the best-selling Christmas album of all time.

--------------------
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you judge people you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa

Help Out

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
CelticRadio 
Posted: 28-Feb-2005, 06:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
243,144 Gold!

We play a wide range of Celtic music. I can not possibly play techno Celtic fusion with a few bagpiping rap songs and then exclude the legendary Bing Crosby!

Now if I start playing Lawrence Welk then somebody better take me out back and have a serious discussion!

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Dreamer1 
Posted: 28-Feb-2005, 09:04 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

QUOTE (Macfive @ 28-Feb-2005, 08:30 PM)
We play a wide range of Celtic music. I can not possibly play techno Celtic fusion with a few bagpiping rap songs and then exclude the legendary Bing Crosby!

Now if I start playing Lawrence Welk then somebody better take me out back and have a serious discussion!

lol.gif laugh.gif Too funny!! laugh.gif lol.gif

Dreamer1 cheers.gif

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 28-Feb-2005, 09:10 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

QUOTE (Dreamer1 @ 28-Feb-2005, 10:04 PM)
QUOTE (Macfive @ 28-Feb-2005, 08:30 PM)

lol.gif laugh.gif Too funny!! laugh.gif lol.gif

Dreamer1 cheers.gif

We need a little humor here, things are just gettin' too serious! lol.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Haldur 
Posted: 28-Feb-2005, 11:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

Lawrence Welk? Even though it's far beyond my time it sounds scary!

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]