Posted: 08-May-2008, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Denver, CO

female

QUOTE (Camac @ 02-May-2008, 11:16 AM)
It was one of the best 3 weeks of my life. I'll tell you about the last trip in October 07 another time.

Next week I will tell you about this last trip for it was very special. I hope you like long winded stories.

I am up for hearing all your stories of your travels if you're up for writing it all down for us to read.

Maybe it would be easier to do "chapters" so we could follow along but not burn you out? biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster               
jbarron 
Posted: 08-May-2008, 12:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Lady of Avalon @ 03-May-2008, 10:25 AM)
Hi jbaron,

We've been to Scotland and let me tell you we'll go back in a very near future for this is where we are planning to go renew our wedding vows on our 25th wedding anniversay. So I think you guess how I feel about this wonderful country.

Our trip there was just like the others described to you we toured the country on car and slept in B&B's all the way through. Even though we prepared and itinerary we knew that sometimes things can change along the way. My best advice to you if I may is buy yourself a booklet guide. The one that I think is most complete and efficient is the same that I advise ctbard and UlsterScotNutt to buy it's the Michelin Green Guide of Scotland. This book is not too big and easy to carry espiacially when travelling light.
This is a museum country so there is plenty to see, to me I would prefer to let you discover it by yourself otherwise if I tell you all that I saw, the wonder of discovery and exploring will not be the same anymore because you'll already know what to expect.
And the fun in travelling is discovering and exploring and I wouldn't want to spoil the fun for you.
If you're interested to look I have a few pics of Scotland in my profile I invite you to look them up .LOA

That's very romantic. love.gif Congratulations! You're very lucky.

Thank you for the tip on the Michelin Guide. I will look for that at the bookstore.
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 08-May-2008, 05:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (jbarron @ 08-May-2008, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE (John Clements @ 08-May-2008, 08:35 AM)
Hi again jabarron,
If you’re at all like me, and you enjoy seeing castle ruins, Scotland is the place to be.  Anyway, there are two castles that we enjoyed the most in Scotland, simply because they hadn’t been “gentrified” yet, (as in they are still ruins).
The first is castle is called Kilchurn Castle, which it is located on a small island at the Southern end of Loc Awe. It’s a grand place to enjoy a picnic lunch, because you can walk to it over a small stone bridge at the end of the Loc. What makes it great is, that it’s surrounded by mountains and it’ as serene as it could be.
The other unspoiled Castle ruin is called, Storm Castle, it’s a small ruin located in South West Rose, on Loch Carron, (were talking serenity here too). And if you like you can visit a small Kilt makers shop, just down the line from there.
From there you can drive over the highest mountain in Great Briton, to Apple Cross, (which is a small fishing village on the Irish Sea). It’s an adventure that you won’t soon forget, if ever. At Apple Cross, fish and chips, and a pint, (if you like) will be waiting for you.
(I could go on, but I’d rather go back.)
I hope the whether is in your favor, when you go, but even if it isn’t. I’m sure you will enjoy yourself anyway.

Oh yes, one of the best B&B that we stayed at is called: The Old Manse, which is also located at Loch Carron ROSS-SHIRE IV54 8YP, (what ever that means). Phone# (01520) 72208: Ask for Trevor, He’s English, but he’s a hoot.

Later,
JC

I was curious...did you stay in a lot of B&B's on your trip? Were they generally pretty nice and easy to find? I rather stay at those than at a hotel as it's more laidback and more personalized. I've heard people are generally pretty friendly so it would be fun to meet some of the local folks as well.

Just curious what your impressions were.

Yes jabarron, we did stay at B&B's for the most part, although we did only booked two B&B’s in advance. Both which were in Glasgow, the day we landed, and the night before we took off. (I can’t remember the name of that particular place), but there are B&B listings are all over the internet. In fact what we did was, to rough out a driving rout, and print out the names and phone numbers of a lot of B&B’s, that were along the way, and then we just checked them out as we went. I guess depending upon the time of year you're traveling, so goes weather they have vacancies or not? Anyway we went the last two weeks in June, and it wasn’t a problem.
By the way you can take the Jacobite Steam Train, (which is the train that was used as a prop, in the first Harry Potter film). It takes the better party of the day, as it’s around trip, going from Fort William, to a little fishing village on the west coast, called Mallaig, which is another great place for a few pints and some sea food. The scenery from the train is special. Do a little home work in advance, and you pretty much can’t go wrong?
JC

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 09-May-2008, 07:42 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

QUOTE (jbarron @ 08-May-2008, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (Camac @ 02-May-2008, 11:16 AM)
It was one of the best 3 weeks of my life. I'll tell you about the last trip in October 07 another time.

Next week I will tell you about this last trip for it was very special. I hope you like long winded stories.

I am up for hearing all your stories of your travels if you're up for writing it all down for us to read.

Maybe it would be easier to do "chapters" so we could follow along but not burn you out? biggrin.gif

jbarron.

Before I tell you about the Trip to Scotland in Oct. 07 I will have to give you a brief background.

Chapter #1;

I was born David Campbell on the 30th September 1942 in Troon Ayrshire Scotland, My Father was born David Campbell in 1914 in Dundee, Scotland. his father was also David Campbell etc.etc. My Father was killed in the War in May 1944 and in 1946 my Mother remarried. a Canadian named Albert Raymond (Ray) McArthur. He adopted me and I became David Campbell-McArthur. I knew of my biological father but I didn't know about him as no-one spoke of him.On my first trip to Scotland in 1963 I was in Dundee but I never even thought to look for his family. The foolishness of youth. Five years ago when I turned 60 it became imperitive to me to find the Campbell Family and after searching all that time I finally succeeded. That is the reason for my last trip Home. I'll fill in more in the next chapter.

Camac.

jbarron 
Posted: 14-May-2008, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (John Clements @ 08-May-2008, 04:22 PM)
[/QUOTE]
Yes jabarron, we did stay at B&B's for the most part, although we did only booked two B&B’s in advance. Both which were in Glasgow, the day we landed, and the night before we took off. (I can’t remember the name of that particular place), but there are B&B listings are all over the internet. In fact what we did was, to rough out a driving rout, and print out the names and phone numbers of a lot of B&B’s, that were along the way, and then we just checked them out as we went. I guess depending upon the time of year you're traveling, so goes weather they have vacancies or not? Anyway we went the last two weeks in June, and it wasn’t a problem.
By the way you can take the Jacobite Steam Train, (which is the train that was used as a prop, in the first Harry Potter film). It takes the better party of the day, as it’s around trip, going from Fort William, to a little fishing village on the west coast, called Mallaig, which is another great place for a few pints and some sea food. The scenery from the train is special. Do a little home work in advance, and you pretty much can’t go wrong?
JC

That's sounds very nice! I'd love to take the train like you suggested - would be a relaxing way to see everything and fun since it's an old train.

I see you travel pretty much the same way I do...off the beaten track, enjoying quiet beautiful places and seeing what delicious goodies I can find to eat and drink.

I am ready to go - just need to save up for the airplane ticket. (ouch)

Thanks!
PMEmail Poster               
jbarron 
Posted: 14-May-2008, 03:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Camac @ 09-May-2008, 06:42 AM)
Before I tell you about the Trip to Scotland in Oct. 07 I will have to give you a brief background.

Chapter #1;

I was born David Campbell on the 30th September 1942 in Troon Ayrshire Scotland, My Father was born David Campbell in 1914 in Dundee, Scotland. his father was also David Campbell etc.etc. My Father was killed in the War in May 1944 and in 1946 my Mother remarried. a Canadian named Albert Raymond (Ray) McArthur. He adopted me and I became David Campbell-McArthur. I knew of my biological father but I didn't know about him as no-one spoke of him.On my first trip to Scotland in 1963 I was in Dundee but I never even thought to look for his family. The foolishness of youth. Five years ago when I turned 60 it became imperitive to me to find the Campbell Family and after searching all that time I finally succeeded. That is the reason for my last trip Home. I'll fill in more in the next chapter.

Camac.

Now I see how you got the name Camac - very clever!

I find it interesting that you are the third (or more?) David Campbell in your family. Was it a tradition, you think, to have the same name repeated once in each subsequent generation? That must have been common because I have at least three generations of "John Stewart".

That's great you found your family on your second trip. What resources did you use to track them down? That must have been exciting to get to meet them in person.

I agree with you...as we get older, sometimes it becomes important to reconnect to our roots and know more about where/who we came from.

But, you can tell more about that in the next chapter. ;-)
PMEmail Poster               
Finduella 
Posted: 15-May-2008, 07:22 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

female

I WENT TO SCOTLAND IN 2007 AND BOOKED A WING IN A LOVELY LITTLE CASTLE FOR A WEEK .IT'S CALLED FORDYCE CASTLE.

WE USED A MIX OF ACCOMODATION ,I LIKED TOURING BUT ALSO LIKE HAVING OUR OWN PLACE, WHERE I COULD COOK AND WASH CLOTHS , LIVING IN A CASTLE FOR A WEEK WAS A DREAM COME TRUE.IT WAS ALSO IN THE HEART OF MY FAMILYS HISTORY SO IT WAS PERFECT FOR US.

I HAVE A COTTAGE BOOKED UP IN BETTY HILL IN 2009 I USE 'WHICH COTTAGE.COM' .
THE COTTAGES IN IRELAND ARE INCREDIBLE VALUE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
jbarron 
Posted: 15-May-2008, 08:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (fionadunbar @ 15-May-2008, 06:22 AM)
I WENT TO SCOTLAND IN 2007 AND BOOKED A WING IN A LOVELY LITTLE CASTLE FOR A WEEK .IT'S CALLED FORDYCE CASTLE.

WE USED A MIX OF ACCOMODATION ,I LIKED TOURING BUT ALSO LIKE HAVING OUR OWN PLACE, WHERE I COULD COOK AND WASH CLOTHS , LIVING IN A CASTLE FOR A WEEK WAS A DREAM COME TRUE.IT WAS ALSO IN THE HEART OF MY FAMILYS HISTORY AND ONCE OWNED BY DUNBARS SO IT WAS PERFECT FOR US.

I HAVE A COTTAGE BOOKED UP IN BETTY HILL IN 2009 I USE 'WHICH COTTAGE.COM' .
THE COTTAGES IN IRELAND ARE INCREDIBLE VALUE

Thank you very much for the URL and for letting me know about the castles. I will definitely check it out. thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 15-May-2008, 09:39 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

jbarron;

Chpter 2.
It seems that as far back as we can trace there has always been a David Campbell. That is to say somewhere in the mix of given names there is David ie. Sean David, David Erskin, David Moir, James William David, etc.ad nauseum. I have a cousin here in Georgetown (Ontario) who is into geneology and with her help we went looking. After 5 years of searching (not all the time) we were hitting brick walls. This was due , as we found out to a spelling mistake some Clerk in the Registra Office had made with my paternal grandmothers name. They had her as Isabella Mair Campbell and it should have been Isabella Moir Campbell. The Mair family in Scotland are decendents of the Picts and they are the oldest Earldom in the U.K. So here I am thinking I'm of the aristocracy laugh.gif laugh.gif As I said we were up against a brick wall when my cousin said why not try getting in touch with a Dundee Newspaper we have nothing to loose. I picked the Dundee Courier,mainly because it was the first one listed, and a chap named Richard Rooney said he would help if he could. On May 19 2007 he e-mailed me and said send me your address, phone number, e-mail and a photograph it is going in the morning edition.
At 9:00am on the 20th Richard e-mailed me to say that it looked like I had found my Family after 60 years. Twenty minutes later my phone rang Long Distance Overseas, when I answered my cousin Moir Greene introduced herself and we both started crying. To put it bluntly it was 'BLOODY MARVELOUS." Soon after that the e-mails from other cousins started pouring in. I had 7 first cousins and 40 second and third cousins all in and around Dundee. Plans were immediately started for me to go Home and meet them. I will tell you more about the great time I had in the next chapter.

Camac.

AShruleEgan 
Posted: 17-May-2008, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

We flew into Edinburgh and stayed one night in a B&B in Falkirk, just outside of the Falkirk Wheel, http://www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk/

After that, we moved onto Aberfoyle and stayed at Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Resort, http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/foresthil...tion_hotels.htm and used that as our base to explore each day. It gave us an easy ride into Stirling and also was close enough to reach the Highlands and explore that. We did drive all the way up to Isle of Skye from there but that was a killer ride for just one day. We should have stayed on Skye for the one night and head back the next day.

If you do go to Aberfoyle, stop at the little butcher shop in front of the woolen center outlet. They make the best bridies. Do not stop at the restaurant right before coming into Aberfolyle. It's at the cross roads of Aberfolye and Loch Lomand. The food and service was terrible. Better places in downtown Aberfolyle.

Traveling up the A-82 to reach the Highlands, make sure you stop at The Green Welly in Tyndrum, http://www.scotchwhisky.net/retail/retaile...green_welly.htm . First of all, it's the last place for many miles, before you can make a stop again. You can fill up your car, have lunch and do some shopping there. Fun place.

I have many pictures in the Gallery of the castles and some of the scenery we passed along the way. I have explanations with all the pictures.

Scotland was very expensive but I wouldn't pass up a return trip.
PMEmail Poster               
jbarron 
Posted: 19-May-2008, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Camac @ 15-May-2008, 08:39 AM)
jbarron;

Chpter 2.
It seems that as far back as we can trace there has always been a David Campbell. That is to say somewhere in the mix of given names there is David ie. Sean David, David Erskin, David Moir, James William David, etc.ad nauseum. I have a cousin here in Georgetown (Ontario) who is into geneology and with her help we went looking. After 5 years of searching (not all the time) we were hitting brick walls. This was due , as we found out to a spelling mistake some Clerk in the Registra Office had made with my paternal grandmothers name. They had her as Isabella Mair Campbell and it should have been Isabella Moir Campbell. The Mair family in Scotland are decendents of the Picts and they are the oldest Earldom in the U.K. So here I am thinking I'm of the aristocracy laugh.gif laugh.gif As I said we were up against a brick wall when my cousin said why not try getting in touch with a Dundee Newspaper we have nothing to loose. I picked the Dundee Courier,mainly because it was the first one listed, and a chap named Richard Rooney said he would help if he could. On May 19 2007 he e-mailed me and said send me your address, phone number, e-mail and a photograph it is going in the morning edition.
At 9:00am on the 20th Richard e-mailed me to say that it looked like I had found my Family after 60 years. Twenty minutes later my phone rang Long Distance Overseas, when I answered my cousin Moir Greene introduced herself and we both started crying. To put it bluntly it was 'BLOODY MARVELOUS." Soon after that the e-mails from other cousins started pouring in. I had 7 first cousins and 40 second and third cousins all in and around Dundee. Plans were immediately started for me to go Home and meet them. I will tell you more about the great time I had in the next chapter.

Camac.

That's an incredible story! I have encountered mis-spellings as well and it does make tracking people's names very difficult - but your persistence paid off well. That was great they put you in the newspaper and everyone found each other. I can only imagine how overwhelming (in a good way) that must have felt. Meeting them in person and going to visit must have been even better.

biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
jbarron 
Posted: 19-May-2008, 03:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (A Shrule Egan @ 17-May-2008, 11:51 AM)
We flew into Edinburgh and stayed one night in a B&B in Falkirk, just outside of the Falkirk Wheel, http://www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk/

After that, we moved onto Aberfoyle and stayed at Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Resort, http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/foresthil...tion_hotels.htm and used that as our base to explore each day. It gave us an easy ride into Stirling and also was close enough to reach the Highlands and explore that. We did drive all the way up to Isle of Skye from there but that was a killer ride for just one day. We should have stayed on Skye for the one night and head back the next day.

If you do go to Aberfoyle, stop at the little butcher shop in front of the woolen center outlet. They make the best bridies. Do not stop at the restaurant right before coming into Aberfolyle. It's at the cross roads of Aberfolye and Loch Lomand. The food and service was terrible. Better places in downtown Aberfolyle.

Traveling up the A-82 to reach the Highlands, make sure you stop at The Green Welly in Tyndrum, http://www.scotchwhisky.net/retail/retaile...green_welly.htm . First of all, it's the last place for many miles, before you can make a stop again. You can fill up your car, have lunch and do some shopping there. Fun place.

I have many pictures in the Gallery of the castles and some of the scenery we passed along the way. I have explanations with all the pictures.

Scotland was very expensive but I wouldn't pass up a return trip.

Thank you very much for the suggestions and all the great URLs. I will keep them for reference and hopefully get to see some of the places you've described. I'll also check out the pictures in the Gallery...one can never get enough of beautful Scottish scenery and castles.

mmmmmm....bridies....yummmmm!
PMEmail Poster               
Finduella 
Posted: 24-May-2008, 08:25 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

female

What is a Bridie??? That is my sister's name. We stayed at the Dornoch Hotel just before the Isle of Skye and walking distance from the amazing Eileen Doonon Castle, They had the most amazing fresh smoked kippers . Iv'e never had anything like them in my life and will never forget them !!!!!

I found a very good value Guest house in Edinburgh "Davenport house"eazy to google they have a 4 night for 3 deal from mon to thurs which brings the price down to out of town B+B price and is in a very nice quite part of town ,yet only 10 mins walk from Princess St. uphill but downhill on the way home, Edinburgh is best on foot and hilly so start walking . Only issue with The Davenport is the rooms are 2 floors up, we didn't mind at all.It is a beautifull old house and the breakfast fresh and yummy!

This part is a quote sorry I don't know how to use the quotes yet

"I find it interesting that you are the third (or more?) David Campbell in your family. Was it a tradition, you think, to have the same name repeated once in each subsequent generation? That must have been common because I have at least three generations of "John Stewart". "

My family tree is a thousand years old and we have John , Gavin, Patrick ,George Frederick again and again fo 100's of years, there is even a format . First son John , second George etc, and even though we didn't know this there is still John;s and Fred's in my generation. So if it goes for 3 generations could well be 20 further generations behind that !
Camac
Posted: 24-May-2008, 08:45 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (Finduella @ 24-May-2008, 09:25 AM)
What is a Bridie??? That is my sister's name. We stayed at the Dornoch Hotel just before the Isle of Skye and walking distance from the amazing Eileen Doonon Castle, They had the most amazing fresh smoked kippers . Iv'e never had anything like them in my life and will never forget them !!!!!

I found a very good value Guest house in Edinburgh "Davenport house"eazy to google they have a 4 night for 3 deal from mon to thurs which brings the price down to out of town B+B price and is in a very nice quite part of town ,yet only 10 mins walk from Princess St. uphill but downhill on the way home, Edinburgh is best on foot and hilly so start walking . Only issue with The Davenport is the rooms are 2 floors up, we didn't mind at all.It is a beautifull old house and the breakfast fresh and yummy!

A bridie is "Food for the Gods". Its a pastry stuffed with meat and veggies. The best are an "Ingin Bridie" (Onion Bridie) The best ones along with the best "Black Puddin" also come from MacDonalds Butcher Shop on Lochee Road Dundee. If anyone every gets to Dundee go to that shop and order "Twa Plen Pehs an Ingin Bridie" (Two plain pies and an Onion Bridie"). Another food to try is an "Arbroath Smokie" (Smoked Haddock).

Camac

Finduella 
Posted: 28-May-2008, 06:49 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Thanks for that camac. I'll definatly keeep a lookout for a bridie, I've tried the Arbrouth smokie ,which is out of this world. My own food discovery was "Cullen Skink" best place to try one is the fish and chip shop at the railway viaduct in Cullen. t is a soup made of poato leeks smoked fish and cream,mmmmmm yummy!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]