jbarron 
Posted: 01-May-2008, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Denver, CO

female

My family was originally from Scotland and I am hoping to take a vacation there sometime in the next few years. I would be interested in getting suggestions from everyone as to the best places to visit, nice places to stay, the best pubs and interesting things to see.

biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 01-May-2008, 01:53 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

QUOTE (jbarron @ 01-May-2008, 02:08 PM)
My family was originally from Scotland and I am hoping to take a vacation there sometime in the next few years. I would be interested in getting suggestions from everyone as to the best places to visit, nice places to stay, the best pubs and interesting things to see.

biggrin.gif

Just get off the plane at Glasgow get in a car and drive for you have truly landed in paradise and where ever you go your home.

Camac.

jbarron 
Posted: 01-May-2008, 02:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

That sounds wonderful. Perhaps I should only get a one way ticket. ;-)
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 01-May-2008, 02:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 01-May-2008, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE (jbarron @ 01-May-2008, 02:08 PM)

biggrin.gif

Just get off the plane at Glasgow get in a car and drive for you have truly landed in paradise and where ever you go your home.

Camac.

jbarron, can I go too?
Hey Camac were you with us when we were Scotland Bound, (why it sounds like a song), because that’s exactly what we did when we went a few years back. No advance reservations, just a “standard shift car” (which was a lot less expensive to rent, rather then a automatic), B&Bs all the way, and of course some money in our pockets.
To call Scotland enchanting would be a gorse understatement. The West coast, Oban, Mull, the Istle Sky, and the of course the Highlands, (why it’s enough to me start crying again) Anyway I can’t wait to go back, except this time I just might stay.
PS: I hope the “Migies” (if that how it’s spelled) aren’t out, and that you can adapt to driving on the other side of the road, it can be a little tricky. Oh yes, Edinburgh is a happening. My Mom came from Paisley, and there is a 13th century Abby there that almost converted me. Will get back with some more info later.
JC

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
jbarron 
Posted: 01-May-2008, 03:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Sure John - the more the merrier! My favorite trips are the ones where one doesn't have everything pre-scheduled and the map takes you unexpected and interesting places.

I suspect I could spend several weeks just wandering. I doubt I'd have a job when I came home though.
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 01-May-2008, 06:35 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (jbarron @ 01-May-2008, 04:34 PM)
Sure John - the more the merrier! My favorite trips are the ones where one doesn't have everything pre-scheduled and the map takes you unexpected and interesting places.

I suspect I could spend several weeks just wandering. I doubt I'd have a job when I came home though.

jbarron;
On my first trip back to Scotland in 1963 I had a car waiting for me at Prestwick Airport. I drove to Troon visited with my cousins for 3 days and then my cousin Marilyn and I took off on a motor tour of Scotland. We drove due east until we hit Edinburgh and then north to Dundee, Arbroath, Aberdeen, Inverness and points in between. We then turnd south and west down Loch Ness stopping at Urqhart Castle (looking for Nessy) on down to Fort Augustus then into the Grampians. From there we continued SW to Glasgow and back to Troon. It was one of the best 3 weeks of my life. I'll tell you about the last trip in October 07 another time.

Camac.

jbarron 
Posted: 02-May-2008, 11:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

jbarron;
On my first trip back to Scotland in 1963 I had a car waiting for me at Prestwick Airport. I drove to Troon visited with my cousins for 3 days and then my cousin Marilyn and I took off on a motor tour of Scotland. We drove due east until we hit Edinburgh and then north to Dundee, Arbroath, Aberdeen, Inverness and points in between. We then turnd south and west down Loch Ness stopping at Urqhart Castle (looking for Nessy) on down to Fort Augustus then into the Grampians. From there we continued SW to Glasgow and back to Troon. It was one of the best 3 weeks of my life. I'll tell you about the last trip in October 07 another time.

(BTW, how does one include a quote?)

Camac -

Your trip sounded terrific - what was your favorite place out of all that you visited? What was your most interesting experience? You mentioned Troon wasn't too far from Kilmarnock?

I'd love to hear about the second trip as well...please please!
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 02-May-2008, 12:16 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (jbarron @ 02-May-2008, 12:43 PM)
jbarron;

(BTW, how does one include a quote?)

Camac -

Your trip sounded terrific - what was your favorite place out of all that you visited? What was your most interesting experience? You mentioned Troon wasn't too far from Kilmarnock?

I'd love to hear about the second trip as well...please please!

jbarron;

First things first:- to post a quote just click the quote box in the upper right of a posting.
Kilmarnock is about 10 miles or so north -east of Troon, just over the hill.
It's hard to say what was the best part of that first trip. The most moving was standing on Culloden Moor even for a 21 year old it brought tears to my eyes. Both my birth family and my adopted family fought there. The birth family for the English and the adopted for Charlie. Even now 45 years after I can still vividly remember all of it. Both my Father and step-Father were British Commandos and I visited their Memorial at Speen Bridge and their training ground at Achnacarrie. My Father never made it back from the War.The Scottish people are the greatest folk on Earth and you will be made most welcome where ever you go.
Next week I will tell you about this last trip for it was very special. I hope you like long winded stories.

Camac thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif

PS. Look in my profile pictures and there is one from Loch Tummel.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 03-May-2008, 11:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

Hi jbaron,

We've been to Scotland and let me tell you we'll go back in a very near future for this is where we are planning to go renew our wedding vows on our 25th wedding anniversay. So I think you guess how I feel about this wonderful country.

Our trip there was just like the others described to you we toured the country on car and slept in B&B's all the way through. Even though we prepared and itinerary we knew that sometimes things can change along the way. My best advice to you if I may is buy yourself a booklet guide. The one that I think is most complete and efficient is the same that I advise ctbard and UlsterScotNutt to buy it's the Michelin Green Guide of Scotland. This book is not too big and easy to carry espiacially when travelling light.
This is a museum country so there is plenty to see, to me I would prefer to let you discover it by yourself otherwise if I tell you all that I saw, the wonder of discovery and exploring will not be the same anymore because you'll already know what to expect.
And the fun in travelling is discovering and exploring and I wouldn't want to spoil the fun for you.
If you're interested to look I have a few pics of Scotland in my profile I invite you to look them up .LOA

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
scotborn 
Posted: 03-May-2008, 01:30 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacRowan

male

Anyone visiting scotland should be warned to stay away from aberdeen, its a right sh*thole.

--------------------
"You cannot be both sane and well educated and disbelieve in evolution. The evidence is so strong that any sane, educated person has got to believe in evolution."
-- Richard Dawkins,

"What the f*ck was that" - Mayor of hiroshima 1945
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 03-May-2008, 01:40 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (scotborn @ 03-May-2008, 02:30 PM)
Anyone visiting scotland should be warned to stay away from aberdeen, its a right sh*thole.

When I was there in the 60s' it was beautiful (The Granite City) I guess things have changed since it became an "Oil Town".

Camac.

John Clements 
Posted: 08-May-2008, 09:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Hi again jabarron,
If you’re at all like me, and you enjoy seeing castle ruins, Scotland is the place to be. Anyway, there are two castles that we enjoyed the most in Scotland, simply because they hadn’t been “gentrified” yet, (as in they are still ruins).
The first castle is called Kilchurn Castle, which is located on a small island at the Southern end of Loc Awe. It’s a grand place to enjoy a picnic lunch, because you can walk to it over a small stone bridge at the end of the Loc. What makes it great is, that it’s surrounded by mountains and its as serene as it could be.
The other unspoiled Castle ruin is called, Storm Castle, it’s a small ruin located in South West Rose, on Loch Carron, (were talking serenity here too). And if you like you can visit a small Kilt makers shop, just down the line from there.
From there you can drive over the highest mountain in Great Briton, to Apple Cross, (which is a small fishing village on the Irish Sea). It’s an adventure that you won’t soon forget, if ever. At Apple Cross, fish and chips, and a pint, (if you like) will be waiting for you.
(I could go on, but I’d rather go back.)
I hope the whether is in your favor, when you go, but even if it isn’t. I’m sure you will enjoy yourself anyway.

Oh yes, one of the best B&B that we stayed at is called: The Old Manse, which is also located at Loch Carron ROSS-SHIRE IV54 8YP, (what ever that means). Phone# (01520) 72208: Ask for Trevor, He’s English, but he’s a hoot.

Later,
JC
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 08-May-2008, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

JC. Kilchurn is my ancestral home. There are more castles in Scotland than any other European country.

Camac

jbarron 
Posted: 08-May-2008, 12:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

That sounds wonderful!! I have copied down all the information and will keep it for future reference when (not if smile.gif ) we go to Scotland.

Both the castles would be great to see - the less gentrified, the better in some respects. I can also very much appreciate serene and no big crowds.

The fish and chips (and a few pints) would be lovely!

Thank you for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
jbarron 
Posted: 08-May-2008, 12:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (John Clements @ 08-May-2008, 08:35 AM)
Hi again jabarron,
If you’re at all like me, and you enjoy seeing castle ruins, Scotland is the place to be. Anyway, there are two castles that we enjoyed the most in Scotland, simply because they hadn’t been “gentrified” yet, (as in they are still ruins).
The first is castle is called Kilchurn Castle, which it is located on a small island at the Southern end of Loc Awe. It’s a grand place to enjoy a picnic lunch, because you can walk to it over a small stone bridge at the end of the Loc. What makes it great is, that it’s surrounded by mountains and it’ as serene as it could be.
The other unspoiled Castle ruin is called, Storm Castle, it’s a small ruin located in South West Rose, on Loch Carron, (were talking serenity here too). And if you like you can visit a small Kilt makers shop, just down the line from there.
From there you can drive over the highest mountain in Great Briton, to Apple Cross, (which is a small fishing village on the Irish Sea). It’s an adventure that you won’t soon forget, if ever. At Apple Cross, fish and chips, and a pint, (if you like) will be waiting for you.
(I could go on, but I’d rather go back.)
I hope the whether is in your favor, when you go, but even if it isn’t. I’m sure you will enjoy yourself anyway.

Oh yes, one of the best B&B that we stayed at is called: The Old Manse, which is also located at Loch Carron ROSS-SHIRE IV54 8YP, (what ever that means). Phone# (01520) 72208: Ask for Trevor, He’s English, but he’s a hoot.

Later,
JC

I was curious...did you stay in a lot of B&B's on your trip? Were they generally pretty nice and easy to find? I rather stay at those than at a hotel as it's more laidback and more personalized. I've heard people are generally pretty friendly so it would be fun to meet some of the local folks as well.

Just curious what your impressions were.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]