Avonlea22 
Posted: 23-Mar-2008, 10:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

Is anybody here familiar with the new group, The High Kings? My mom just gave me a CD a yesterday, and their music is fantastic. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that they have any of their music here at CR, but you can read all about them and hear some of the music at their site: http://www.thehighkings.com/mainpage.html

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
LadyJeanetta 
Posted: 23-Mar-2008, 10:42 AM
Quote Post

Librarian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Vernon Hills, IL, USA

female

It was my mother that turned me on to the High Kings, as well biggrin.gif Apparently she saw them perform in concert on our PBS station -- She went on and on about how they *looked* as good as they sound (which, ahem, they do).

They have quite a few clips available on YouTube. I was particularly impressed with their rendition of "Rocky Road to Dublin"--they give it such a fantastic edge. But their voices blend in such a lovely way when they sing together. Very impressive, and quite refreshing!

--------------------
~~Jenny~~

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea is asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace; we've got work to do!"--Doctor Who, "Survival"
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 23-Mar-2008, 03:49 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

these guys are hot!!! I just watched them on youtube perform "the Parting Glass". A great video with lots of pipers in kilts! wink.gif We definetly need some of their music here!!!
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
CelticRadio 
Posted: 23-Mar-2008, 06:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
241,254 Gold!

We should have them up on our broadcast either tonight or tommorow! Great group! thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Avonlea22 
Posted: 23-Mar-2008, 06:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

Awesome! Thanks
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 23-Mar-2008, 07:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

I've heard them for the first time on a PBS drive last week.
Great guys and fun.

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 24-Mar-2008, 08:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

I saw the Cd at Barne's and Noble a couplew weeks beack and meant to post but stuff happens. The CD came out about the same time as Celtic Thunder but sadly was very overlooked. Hopefully with the PBS exposure it will fare much better. My own review can be sumed up this way. If someone I knew was new to Irish music and song and they wanted a good introduction to the music this would be one of the albums I would recommned. If you have been listen to irish songs for a long time this Cd is full of good renditions of old favorites.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 03-Mar-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

The High Kings have a new CD out called Memory Lane. It was released Feb 12th inthe UK but hasn't been released here in the US yet although it is available on itunes. Amazon has it as an import. Here is the tracklisting
Tracklisting 1. Step It Out Mary 2. As I Roved Out 3 The Fields Of Athenry 4. On The One Road Feat. The Wolfe Tones 5. Raglan Road 6. Whiskey in the Jar 7. Leaving For Liverpool 8. Red Is The Rose 9. Star Of The County Down 10. Boolavogue 11. Cavan Girl 12. The Rising Of The Moon 13. Green Fields Of France 14. The Irish Rover
I have no idea when it will be released to the US yet.
PMEmail Poster               
mainopsman 
Posted: 12-Mar-2010, 05:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Dundalk, Maryland

male

That's great to hear. They are from the same producers that gave us Celtic Woman, and they have performed with them a few times. Most of the group is made of of the sons of some of the older more famous Irish Singers.

They do give a great show, I saw them in Baltimore when they were here back in 2008. I'm looking forward to the new CD and hope they do have a DVD to go with it.

Jim

--------------------
Dedicate some of your life to others. Your dedication will not be a sacrifice. It will be an exhilarating experience because it is intense effort applied toward a meaningful end. Dr. Thomas Dooley
PMEmail Poster               
Caz57 
Posted: 21-Mar-2010, 10:24 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

female

Hi I saw this thread in a Google alert and joined up so I could reply. I am from the UK and help Darren Holden, one of the High Kings, run his myspace fansite, Youtube and Official Facebook page.

The High Kings Live in Dublin DVD and self titled CD, originally released in the US back in 2008, had a more produced and big show sound with a full band. Their live show went back to a more traditional sound early last year with the four guys on stage on their own playing all 13 intruments between them. Darren played accordion and mandolin professionally for the first time. The new show got a huge response from the Irish audiences and is the format used on their new CD Memory Lane. They signed to Universal Ireland at the end of last year and the new CD went straight in at number 5 in the Irish album charts, remained in the top 10 for 3 weeks, and is still at number 11 this week. They are currently 4 weeks in to a 25 date Irish tour and both the live show and album have had a fantastic response from both the public and the media. They are planning a return to the US, and to the UK and Europe, but no details as to when have been released as yet. I suspect the US release of Memory Lane will be scheduled to coincide with that.

The album is only available for download from iTunes Ireland, and unless you have an Irish credit card and billing address, they are unable to sell to you. The CD is available from Amazon.com as an import, but is quite expensive. It is also available for international shipping from Amazon.uk and I know a number of US fans that have purchased from there at a reasonable price. I am not aware of any plans for a DVD at this time.

The High Kings have appeared on a number of primetime TV shows in Ireland and I have recorded most of them over the last couple of years and put them on YouTube from my personal YouTube account. If you go to Darren's Official YouTube, you will find everything relating to Darren's solo career, and The High Kings, in playlists in one place, including the official videos from the DVD shown on PBS, and my TV uploads which have been added as favorites. Check them out and see them performing as they would in the live shows now.

Darren's Official YouTube

The High Kings, and the individual group members, all have official pages on Myspace with their own music. I also run an official Facebook for Darren Holden. The High Kings do have a Facebook page, but more recently have added a fan page 'Memory Lane Album' to promote the new album and tour. You might want to consider checking that out too.

Hope you find this information useful.
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 21-Mar-2010, 03:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Thanks for all the info Caz57. Looking forward to the new Cd and I'll check out the facebook page. I'll take the High Kings over Celtic Thunder any day.
PMEmail Poster               
Donajhi 
Posted: 05-Apr-2010, 12:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Fae Hillfort

female

LOVE THE HIGH KINGS..........and yes, I know I'm shouting... biggrin.gif cool.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
CHECK MY SITE: BEYOND THE VEIL http://www.gmadventures.com

"I DID NOT, IT WAS THE FAIRY FOLK!"

Scottish by the grace of God

Fairy Day countdown banner

DIOGENES HAS PASSED ME THE LANTERN, STILL LOOKING.....
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]