> Help With Some Research!
Jessica
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 05:21 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Hi!!! I am doing a project about the use of Irish Gaelic, i would be soooo greatful if you could answer the following questions or if you have any other relevant information please email me on [email protected]

Where abouts are you from?

Do you speak Gaelic as your first/second langauge or not at all?

If you do speak it then where do you use it? just in school? with friends? at home? etc

How did you learn Gaelic? eg. from your parents/guardian or from school?

How important do u feel it is to speak gaelic in Ireland? Could not speaking it affect your way of life?

Do you think it should be taught in schools?

Any other information you can provide me at all would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jess xxxx

Aaediwen 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 07:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Where abouts are you from? Kentucky

Do you speak Gaelic as your first/second langauge or not at all? Fourth, and not well

If you do speak it then where do you use it? just in school? with friends? at home? etc Trying to learn the songs, and occasionally say a line of it so that people can hear it spoken

How did you learn Gaelic? eg. from your parents/guardian or from school? Self study

How important do u feel it is to speak gaelic in Ireland? Could not speaking it affect your way of life? I'd think it quite important, The language and the heritage behind it must not die! I don't know about Ireland, but I've heard from a Scottish friend of mine that the street signs in many places in Scotland are bi-lingual (Gaelic and English) And that the government is taking signifigant strides to keep the struggling culture alive

Do you think it should be taught in schools? Shoot yeah! Something gives me a feeling that there are numerous other languages that will make it there before Gaelic though. in this country anyway.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Raven 
Posted: 20-Nov-2003, 03:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

Do you speak Gaelic as your first/second langauge: 2nd and not well or very much

If you do speak it then where do you use it? Songs and at shows and emails

How did you learn Gaelic? self study and I haven't exactly learned it rolleyes.gif

How important do u feel it is to speak gaelic in Ireland? Could not speaking it affect your way of life? Important problably wouldn't affect my way of life but I would hate to see the language be lost

Do you think it should be taught in schools?
Yes I think it should be offered at least as a cultural study

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Catriona 
Posted: 20-Nov-2003, 04:52 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Hello Jessica
As you can see, there are very few native Irish people on this site - most are Americans and Canadians.

Oh, and I'm not Irish either, sorry! I'm Scottish, and I don't speak Scots Gaelic either.

You might do better addressing your questions on an Irish chat board biggrin.gif

Are you suggesting that Irish be taught in US schools?
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 20-Nov-2003, 09:43 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (Catriona @ Nov 20 2003, 05:52 PM)
Hello Jessica
As you can see, there are very few native Irish people on this site - most are Americans and Canadians.

Oh, and I'm not Irish either, sorry! I'm Scottish, and I don't speak Scots Gaelic either.

You might do better addressing your questions on an Irish chat board biggrin.gif

Are you suggesting that Irish be taught in US schools?

Catriona,

This is the Irish Chat Board.

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
Catriona 
Posted: 21-Nov-2003, 06:16 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Richard
I know that - I'm not stupid - I've been posting on here for a quite a while now biggrin.gif

I was not trying to be faceitious in my reply to Jessica's post - and if that is how it came across, then all I can say is that, once again, we are two peoples divided by a common language rolleyes.gif

Maybe I've misundestood, but I thought the poster was an American, posing the question for Irish citizens. As far as I can see there is only one or two native Irish people here cool.gif Soooooo, if what Jessica wants is Irish comments, then she would be better to also post on a board where more natives are members, dont you agree?
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]