Patriot1776 
Posted: 27-Oct-2008, 08:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacElder

Realm: North Carolina

male

This is a condition where a person's immune system attacks their own nervous system instead of foreign antigens that have entered the body. Because of the mechanisms at work, it manifests itself in the person gradually becoming paralyzed, first the person's legs becoming really weak for unexplainable reasons and gradually progresses up the body toward the person's head. If not treated promptly, this syndrome can cause a person to die because it progresses to a point where the autonomic functions of the body (breathing, heartbeat, etc.) start to become severely affected.

Guillain-Barre Wiki

I'm posting this because I am a survivor of this syndrome, as I became effected by it at age 6 and I did suffer some permanent nerve damage from it, the damage being limited to my hands such that they are permanently weakened, despite looking normal.

--------------------
LP Vinyl Enthusiast - It really needs to be in LP vinyl format for me to most certainly get it. ^^

"Your brother brought me silver, and your sister warmed my soul, but now I laugh and pull so hard and see you swinging from the gallows pole!" - from the Led Zeppelin song "Gallows Pole", 'Led Zeppelin III' album.
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 28-Oct-2008, 02:53 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Thanks for posting this Patriot1776. I haven't heard of this one.

Congratulations for beating this syndrome!!! thumbs_up.gif cheers.gif

Sorry to hear you did get some nerve damage. Again thank you for posting on this.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Patriot1776 
Posted: 28-Oct-2008, 04:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Your welcome. I'm not sure if my body reacted negatively to something the doctors gave me in the hospital at the time and something went wrong in the process or what. But because of it, today with my weakened hands there's physically demanding things that I just can't do because it becomes hard to hold onto very heavy objects at those times.
PMEmail Poster               
Bladorteen 
Posted: 10-Nov-2008, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

male

Patriot1776, if it is not a secret how old are you? And what were you treated with?
PMEmail Poster               
danceswithblades 
Posted: 12-Nov-2008, 08:10 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

female

Patriot 1776,
Given the age that you got GBS, likely it was the aftermath either of a childhood illness you picked up at school or an immunization. Very sorry. Some people make a full recovery, some remain hold on for years in a severely impaired state before passing away. Most people survive with some degree of residual loss of function. Have you tried going to an occupational therapist to see what you can do about your hands? Or to a neurologist to do an EMG of your upper extremities? You might get some interesting answers.
Good luck,
Xenobia
PMEmail Poster               
Patriot1776 
Posted: 30-Nov-2008, 08:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

I'll be turning 26 on December 12, and I now don't remember what I was treated with, it was so, so long ago that it happened. Have to ask the parents about the occupational therapist, don't know if it would help.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]