pretentiouswombat 
Posted: 12-Feb-2008, 12:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Georgia

female

I thought I would start this thread to see if there are any other home educators out there. I've been homeschooling for about 20 years now so I would love to help out anybody who might need a little encouragement or assistance.

So far, I've taken DD#1 through all of her elementary and secondary work. She then went on to a private college on scholarship and graduated Cum Laude from their Honors Program. DD#2 sort of stumbled through her high school years and is still trying to figure out what she wants to do. DS is attacking high school right now. DD#3 is 13 and DD#4 is 10.

None of the children has ever been in an institutional setting for his/her education with the exception of going to a Fine Arts program for gifted children each summer at DD#1's college. (Eldest went 4 times and was an assistant the fourth trip; second daughter attended 4 times, I think; son has gone 3 times so far and is eligible for 2 more years; and I'm thinking DD#3 might go this year if she can get the money)

Every child is different, as I found out early on. What worked for DD#1 didn't apply for number 2 at all. It's like a big jigsaw puzzle and you're always adding pieces to it. Or tossing the ones that don't fit.

Join in the fun and let's see who's along for the ride!

--------------------
Check out my new blog at www.dilettantesdilemma.blogspot.com
Patti, The Celtic Pretentious Wombat

Feel the Teal! The year is 1599, and a new musical sensation is sweeping the youth of England! Dude! Life is Good! Visit The Lost Boys Online
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
hawthornefaery 
Posted: 12-Feb-2008, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

female

Hi there! I homeschool my 2 dd. I guess you can say that we unschool. Meaning we don't use any cirriculum.
I love homeschooling and I belong to a wonderful HS support group called a Different Drum and Chatham Kent Homeschooling. biggrin.gif
With what is going on today in our schools, I find myself very fortunate to be able to keep my children at home. One on One is by far more superior than 30 kids to 1 teacher.
My family (mum and sister included) are planning a trip to Ireland to see where my grandparents lived. I got intouch with a homeschooling group in N. Ireland and have been corresponding with a family. We plan on meeting eachother when we get there. I am very much looking forward to my girls meeting other HS's in another country.

I feel very blessed to se my children learning all the time, and to see their eyes light up when they *get it* wink.gif

Jodi
PMEmail Poster               
pretentiouswombat 
Posted: 14-Feb-2008, 11:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

Jodi - How long have you been homeschooling?

FamhairCloiche 
  Posted: 28-Feb-2008, 01:11 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tulsa, Oklahoma

male

I guess I'll jump in a little early.
My wife and I have decided to homeschool our (so far) two daughters for a variety of reasons; not the least of which being that my 3 1/2 year old is starting to read already, but the state won't let her start kindergarten until August 2010! By which point I could see her being two years ahead of her peers academically.
It's refreshing to find somebody online whose been homeschooling for so long! Our little corner of the world seems to be a Mecca for homeschoolers, but nobody seems to have been doing it for very long. I will probably bounce questions off of the group as they arise.

Tapadh Leibh Mo Càirdean
PMEmail Poster               
pretentiouswombat 
Posted: 28-Feb-2008, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

I'm so glad you found us! I will be glad to share my experiences, so please feel free to throw out questions. I don't claim to be an expert but I do have lots of experience.
RebeccaAnn 
Posted: 28-Feb-2008, 05:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Southren Illinois

female

Our children unfortantly go to public school but we also try to homeschool them. Seems they learn very little of any good use at school. History is easy to teach. They learn history through family history. I am working mostly with our two youngest age 10 and 8. They are both in special ed. Any help with teaching math and writing practice sure would help a lot. They both need lots of encouragement. The 10 year old has a hearing loss and a very short attention span.
EmmaAnn is never quiet and never sits, infact it is hard to keep her with one thing more than 5 mins. Sarah is left-handed.
RebeccaAnn
PMEmail Poster               
pretentiouswombat 
Posted: 29-Feb-2008, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

I just found a math game that teaches multiplication and my two girls absolutely love it. It's called Timez Attack

http://www.bigbrainz.com/index.php

You can download it for free, or you can spring for the more expensive version that has more bells and whistles. The thing is - the free version actually has all the times tables so you really don't have to get the other version unless you just want more variety. My girls enjoyed it so much that I did go ahead and get the other version as a reward. There are different levels to go through and, on the free version, the levels are all alike. There is enough repetition to enforce the concepts so I think it's definitely worthwhile.

Try out the freebie and see if your kids don't have fun with it - don't tell them they're doing schoolwork, though!

laugh.gif

Also, for handwriting, I've used an Italic program by Getty and Dubay for many years. And my 13-year-old is left-handed, too. She's doing fine with it. I completely changed my handwriting to Italic when I first got the workbooks. And now I can easily do Italic calligraphy and make a little spending money on the side doing wedding invitations. Nice little perk.
RebeccaAnn 
Posted: 01-Mar-2008, 10:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Southren Illinois

female

Thanks wombat. I found the math game and downloaded it. EmmaAnn took one look and said no way. It's math. Sarah isn't ready for yimes yet but if she sees me playing she will want to play. If EmmaAnn sees us having fun maybe she will try.
What is the handwriting workbooks you use? Where do you find them?
RebeccaAnn
PMEmail Poster               
pretentiouswombat 
Posted: 02-Mar-2008, 06:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

Here's the link to the workbooks.

http://www.cep.pdx.edu/titles/italic_serie...in_series.shtml

Go ahead and play the math game yourself and let the kids see how much fun it is. I know my 10 and 13 year olds are hooked on it!

haynes9 
Posted: 02-Mar-2008, 06:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

We've been homeschooling for over 20 years. Our first two children spend some time in a Christian School, but for the most part, it's been home.

We have used a variety of methods. One size doesn't fit all, which I'm sure most everyone here would agree.

Homeschooling is not for everyone. For our family, it is by far the best way. One of the challenges homeschoolers face is the issue of schedule. If a person cannot set a schedule, then they probably should not homeschool. It's easy to say "Well, let's just skip today;. We can make it up later!" Later almost never comes. My lovely wife is very much a bear when it comes to the kids schooling schedule. To be sure, she is flexible, but only to a certain point!

Looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say. Have a great day!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
pretentiouswombat 
Posted: 03-Mar-2008, 02:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

I agree to a certain extent, Haynes. One of the good things about home education is that you can be flexible about scheduling. This year we have had to work around my work schedule so, for several months the girls had school in the mornings and now we have it when I get home around 3pm. It is easy to let things slide and promise to make it up later but you do have to just consider it a priority in the giant scheme of things. And some children do need that structure or they just fall apart.

I have been very fortunate to be able to bring my older ones to my volunteer work at the theatre so they can volunteer there also and see some great Shakespearean works. I think they are more fortunate there than kids who have to try to "get" Shakespeare simply from reading his works. Now, I'm lucky to have children who enjoy the Bard! How many public school students can claim that?

I would enjoy hearing from other home educators who have been able to take advantage of similar unique learning experiences.

Gwynhwyvar 
Posted: 06-Apr-2008, 10:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Smyrna, Georgia

female

Oh wombat and the rest of you - I didn't know y'all were over here. I guess I have been in the Games forum too long.
Homeschooling - that is all we have ever done. I helped home school my baby sister, who is 19 years younger than me - she is 31, from the time she was in the 2nd grade al the ay through High school. She went on to UGA and graduated with high honors. My daughter is 21 and my son is 16 and like I said, they have only been homeschooled. I teach at our Christian School at our church during the day and my husband does the bulk of the schooling of our son. This has been great for both of them. My daughter has been working in the afterschool program at school in the afternoon and has also been working as a teacher aide and working on the yearbook (single handed) and gets paid for all that. Now that she is 21 they are working out a thing where she can be both a teacher's aide and apprentice as a "student" teacher. She wants to go into education and why not do like they did in the past - apprentice work.

I will definitely try and remember this forum in the future.

--------------------
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.""
Psalm 91:1-2

"Be what you would seem to be--or, if you'd like it put more simply--Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." from "Alice in Wonderland"
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 29-May-2008, 05:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (Gwynhwyvar @ 06-Apr-2008, 04:09 PM)
Oh wombat and the rest of you - I didn't know y'all were over here. I guess I have been in the Games forum too long.
Homeschooling - that is all we have ever done. I helped home school my baby sister, who is 19 years younger than me - she is 31, from the time she was in the 2nd grade al the ay through High school. She went on to UGA and graduated with high honors. My daughter is 21 and my son is 16 and like I said, they have only been homeschooled. I teach at our Christian School at our church during the day and my husband does the bulk of the schooling of our son. This has been great for both of them. My daughter has been working in the afterschool program at school in the afternoon and has also been working as a teacher aide and working on the yearbook (single handed) and gets paid for all that. Now that she is 21 they are working out a thing where she can be both a teacher's aide and apprentice as a "student" teacher. She wants to go into education and why not do like they did in the past - apprentice work.

I will definitely try and remember this forum in the future.

I am a strong believer in home schooling. Both the Senator and Congressman I worked for last election felt the same way. (they were not too popular with teachers) Our schools have some excellent teachers and we have a lot of bad ones also. By home schooling your child has a teacher who has his/her interests at the forefront. You can pass your values to the child with little competition. I applaud all who are willing to put forth this effort.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt