lschillinger 
Posted: 05-Jan-2009, 01:32 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

Realm: The Heart of it All

female

I know I have a hard time thinking of things to do with left overs and was wondering if anyone has recipes for left overs. My husband hates them and I'd like to find something interesting to do with various left overs. Especially with the Holidays that just past and the huge amount of food we had left over! Here are a couple of things I've done with mine.

Sauerkraut
Reuben caserole:
6 slices rye bread, cubed
1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
1 pound deli sliced corned beef, cut into strips
3/4 cup Russian-style salad dressing (Thousand Island)
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Spread bread cubes in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spread sauerkraut evenly over the bread cubes, then layer beef strips over sauerkraut. Pour dressing over all.
Spray aluminum foil with cooking spray and use to cover baking dish, sprayed side down. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Remove cover, sprinkle with cheese and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

I will sometimes leave out the dressing - then serve it on the side for a healthier option.

I recently found another one for sauerkraut - haven't tried it but it could be interesting

Sauerkraut and Potato Soup
INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 pound beef stew meat, diced into 1 inch pieces
1 onion, chopped
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups beer
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 potatoes, cubed
1 ounce sauerkraut
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill weed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS
In a Dutch oven, cook meat and onion in hot oil until meat is brown.
Stir in beer, water, tomato paste, paprika, salt, caraway seed, and pepper. Cover, and simmer 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.

Add potatoes, undrained sauerkraut, and fresh dill to soup. Cover. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.

Cook uncovered for 10 minutes more, or until mixture is thickened and most of the liquid is evaporated. Sprinkle parsley on top before serving.

Ham-
The Honeybaked Ham Store has a TON of recipes on there site for things to do with leftover ham.
http://honeybakedham.com/recipes.asp

This is one I've tried from their site it was pretty good

Easy HoneyBaked Hash-Brown Brunch
Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour into a lightly greased 13 x 9 x 2 glass casserole:

1 2-pound package frozen diced hash brown potatoes, unthawed

Add and mix together;
1 10 3/4-ounce can cream of celery soup or cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 cup diced Ham
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
3 cups (packed) grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 12 ounces)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup finely chopped onion

Bake until top is slightly golden, about 1 hour. Sprinkle top with:
1 6-ounce can French fried onions, crumbled

Bake an additional 10 minutes.

Serves 4

Left over veggies - I have a gallon ziploc that I keep in the freezer. Whatever left over veggies I have, I dump them into the bag and stash it back in the freezer. When I have a good amount I make beef stew.

Beef Stew:

1 pound beef for stew, cut into 1-inch cubes
Ground black pepper ( to taste )
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Bag of freezer veggies or
(3 large onions, chopped
12 small red potatoes, cut into quarters
2 medium carrots, sliced)
4 cloves garlic, minced - I will cheat sometimes and just use garlic powder, not the same, but a lot faster!
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee crystals
4 cups Beef Broth

Season the beef with black pepper and coat with flour. Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the beef and cook until browned.
Place the onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic and thyme in a slow cooker. Top with the beef. Mix the tomato paste, coffee and 1 cup broth. Pour the coffee mixture and the remaining broth into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or until done.

--------------------
COURAGE GROWS STRONG AT THE WOUND

"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead."

“Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.”

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Leelee 
Posted: 05-Jan-2009, 09:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Alberta, Canada

female

Wow!! All these creations sound great lschillinger smile.gif I find leftovers that are cooked up into a different dish tastes even better than the original recipe wink.gif I'll think of a few to post too. I will be sure to try your recipes, thanks thumbs_up.gif
PM               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 05-Jan-2009, 09:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

lshillinger writes: "Season the beef with black pepper and coat with flour. Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the beef and cook until browned.
Place the onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic and thyme in a slow cooker. Top with the beef. Mix the tomato paste, coffee and 1 cup broth. Pour the coffee mixture and the remaining broth into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or until done."

Coffee in your beef stew -- how interesting! I know they put coffee in a southern red-eye gravy, and once I made what was supposed to be a french-canadian recipe with calves liver that was marinated in coffee -- not bad, it altered the flavor in an interesting way. This sounds really good.
PMEmail Poster               
lschillinger 
Posted: 31-Jan-2009, 04:04 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

Realm: The Heart of it All

female

Here is something I did this morning for a good breakfast with left over mashed potatoes. I like to serve them with applesauce. Whats nice about this is you can use any amount of potatoes, just adjust the ingredients according to the texture of the dough. As long as its bound and pliable (not dry) - you are generally good! I never measure, I just dump until the texture is right. You can also add more/less salt depending on your tastes. My husband likes them with scallions in them and sour cream for dipping. They also freeze well.

Potato Scones

Ingredients:
Half pound (225g) boiled and mashed potatoes
2.5oz (65g) flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
Half teaspoon salt

Mash the potatoes while they are still warm and add the butter and salt (if you are starting from scratch, if not use your leftover mashed). Add in enough flour to make it a pliable dough but without making it too dry. The type of potato will affect this. Turn out onto a floured surface and roll until about quarter of an inch thick. Cut into six inch circles and then into quarters. Prick all over with a fork and cook in a heavy pan which has been lightly greased. Cook each side for about three minutes or until golden brown. If you want to really add the calories, put cheese between two scones and cook until the cheese has melted.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]