jbarron 
Posted: 28-May-2008, 08:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Denver, CO

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 23-May-2008, 01:37 PM)
Also, for those of you anywhere near Arizona, please join us at the Flagstaff Highland games as Diana will appear there for book signings and possible a talk about her new book "An Echo in the Bone." Let me if any of you plan to come and perhaps we can all meet up there. My 18thc group will be there doing our Jacobite re-enactment for the event.

When are the games scheduled? That might make for a fun summertime trip (except for the $4/gallon gas). Denver is...um...only a "few" hours drive.

When your group does their re-enactment, what all do they do? I've been to Civil War events but it would be interesting to see one that was Scottish.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 30-May-2008, 12:16 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hello jbarron.

I apologize for the delayed reply.

Here is the link for the Flagstaff games

http://www.nachs.info/flagstafffestival.asp

Our 1745 Jacobite Society teach what life what was like in the 18thc. The military aspect of our group talk and do demonstrations regarding musket demonstrations, etc. Our men also talk about culture and society of the 18th century.

My job is to teach folks what life was like for women in the 18thc.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
jbarron 
Posted: 04-Jun-2008, 10:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Denver, CO

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 29-May-2008, 11:16 PM)
Hello jbarron.

I apologize for the delayed reply.

Here is the link for the Flagstaff games

http://www.nachs.info/flagstafffestival.asp

Our 1745 Jacobite Society teach what life what was like in the 18thc. The military aspect of our group talk and do demonstrations regarding musket demonstrations, etc. Our men also talk about culture and society of the 18th century.

My job is to teach folks what life was like for women in the 18thc.

That sounds great! I'll check out the website for the games and maybe we'll consider a road trip south. We have a similar group to yours at our local games here I think.

What was life like for women back then?
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 06-Jun-2008, 05:10 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (jbarron @ 04-Jun-2008, 11:05 AM)
That sounds great! I'll check out the website for the games and maybe we'll consider a road trip south. We have a similar group to yours at our local games here I think.

What was life like for women back then?

Hello jbarron and all.

I hope this link works. It is on Diana Galbadon's blog and way too funny.

http://voyagesoftheartemis.blogspot.com/ her web blogsite

As far as what life was like in the 18th c for women? Well it depended upon their station in life and too long to explain here. I think I will start a thread about this elsewhere. wink.gif
gcw57 
  Posted: 07-Jun-2008, 12:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: British Columbia

male

Hi CelticRose,

As a guy who has had the great (dis)pleasure of cleaning restrooms in restaurants and book stores, I would concur with Diana's research on the matter. The majority of women's restrooms that I have seen are always messier in every way than the men's and the graffitti is always more . . . colourful! Granted the men have a lot of players on the team who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door after downing several jugs of beer!

Diana was in Saskatchewan? After I moved? I'm crushed. I'm not thinking that there's much chance of her visiting the rural areas of BC any time soon, so I guess I will have to be happy to read.

--------------------
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 09-Jun-2008, 04:05 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hello gcw57,

I know that Diana visits Fergus, Ontario Canada every other year. I am sure you probably know that as well. She was there last year so this year I gather she will not be there. many of my friends went and said it was wonderful..I am so jealous! LOL

you live in BC? Oh, that is one of the many places I want to visit in the near future.

I can only imagine how disgusting women't bathrooms are as I have been in many. What is worse is while participating an 18thc re-enactor at my events, I have all those 4 layers of clothing on, like Claire would have worn, and then I have to go to a public restroom (unlike Claire would have been able to) only to find such disgusting conditions! Argh!
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 09-Jun-2008, 09:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

So Celtic Rose are you a member of the blue hand club yet?

Um, can you explain to me what that is? I think I am part of the very clean society in the meantime...LOL

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 01-Jul-2008, 12:23 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Robert Phoenix @ 09-Jun-2008, 10:50 PM)
So Celtic Rose are you a member of the blue hand club yet?

Um, can you explain to me what that is? I think I am part of the very clean society in the meantime...LOL

Um...er...what is the "blue hand club?" So I am not sure if I am a member or not..hahaha. I know I am member of the "very clean society" though! LOL

Only two more weeks before I see Diana! Yay!
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 02-Jul-2008, 10:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

A member of the blue hand club is someone who has accidently dropped and has had to retrive a valuable from the murky depths of a portapotty. This is also the home of the dreaded privy monster.

Oh, Cool Outlander video here. I think the one who plays Claire is dead on and Adrian Paul as Jack Randell seems a great choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQotZg-ZkIQ

There is a bunch of Outlander videos on youtube now.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 03-Jul-2008, 12:10 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Robert Phoenix @ 02-Jul-2008, 11:34 PM)
A member of the blue hand club is someone who has accidently dropped and has had to retrive a valuable from the murky depths of a portapotty. This is also the home of the dreaded privy monster.

Oh, Cool Outlander video here. I think the one who plays Claire is dead on and Adrian Paul as Jack Randell seems a great choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQotZg-ZkIQ

There is a bunch of Outlander videos on youtube now.

Oh my goodness! I have never heard that one before, nor do I ever expect to participate in such a privy moment! LOL When I am out re-enacting I try my best to stay out of those portapotty things at all costs anyway. I will walk for however long I can to find a restroom....or worse yet...hold it till I get to a proper loo. biggrin.gif

There is a lot on youtube now in regards to the Outlander series. A lot more than the last time I checked. One could sit there for many hours looking at all them. I love the music in the ones I saw.

My opinion, not that you asked, I could never see Sandra Bullock playing Claire. No way, no how. Just cause that is not how I picture Claire. Gerard Butler, I have mixed feelings about. In some ways I can, in others I can't. However, I definitely see Sean Bean as Dougal and Bernard Hill as Colum. But if they could possibly get Adrian Paul in that movie, I would be most happy. In some ways I can picture him being Jamie. wub.gif

Thanks Robert. I am anxious to see Diana in two weeks and see if there is any word up on the Outlander movie project. She sometimes hangs out at our 1745 camp, so we're able to chat with her more.
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 03-Jul-2008, 11:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I was hoping she would show up at Irishfest but no luck. I haven't heard of any of the authors that are there this year. I just finished the third book and now am trying to decide if I should start the next one or go to Frank Delaney "Tipperary" which finally came out in paperback.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 03-Jul-2008, 11:39 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey Robert. Ok, you finished Voyager, right? To me that was one of the best books besides Outlander. Yes! Please continue to read the rest of the books.

Warning: When you get to "Fiery Cross" it is very slow moving and it took me a year to read that book as a result, but hang in there as it prepares you for the next book! wink.gif
Rindy 
Posted: 05-Jul-2008, 04:18 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

I am on my last few pages of The Fiery Cross it is slow moving and kind of intimidating to look at to say the least. I have A Breath Of Snow And Ashes sitting here calling my name. I didn't think I would ever get through The Fiery Cross..well I almost there. I loved all of these books but would have to agree with you Desert Rose, Outlander was my favorite so far.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 05-Jul-2008, 07:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

Wow! there is so many videos to look at one could just sit there all night to look at them.

I just can't wait to see if they'll finally make happened in the movies.
They've been talking about doing for so long.
I'm a big fan of Diana's stories.

Thanks Robert.
LOA

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 05-Jul-2008, 08:04 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Yep! I couldn't believe the number of Outlander videos myself!

I had a make difficult decision today and tell my unit and friends that I can not make the trip up to Flagstaff afterall. Oh well....life.

Rindy, I admire the fact that you stuck in there in "The Fiery Cross" book. It was my least favorite and took me a year to read. I so disliked that book. But once I re-read the series, I feel that I will appreciate the book all the more.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]