Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Save Net Radio Coalition, Help Save Internet Radio!
Sekhmet 
Posted: 30-Apr-2007, 11:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

SoundExchange (the RIAA) considers any digital performance of a song as falling under their compulsory license. If any artist records a song, SoundExchange has the right to collect royalties for its performance on Internet radio. Artists can offer to download their music for free, but they cannot offer their songs to Internet radio for free " 

...you're frellin' well kidding me. That HAS to be illegal.
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 01-May-2007, 03:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

So if I record a song then it can't be played on Internet Radio without the RIAA getting a piece? Ok. who has access to a squadron of B-17s? Let's Haggis bomb the RIAA. And then we'll follow up with rougher tactics if they persist. They don't DESERVE to make money from anything I do.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 01-May-2007, 06:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Then there's no such thing as an independent artist. Just an unsigned one.
CelticRadio 
Posted: 02-May-2007, 07:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
251,003 Gold!

The latest news from the Save Net Radio Coalition:

"In a twist that greatly improves the likelihood that Congress could pass legislation in time to save Internet radio from collapsing under the burden of impossibly-high royalty rates, the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB), in publishing its determination in the Federal Register yesterday, added one word to their decision that moves the due date for payments under the new rates from May 15th to July 15th."

A high percentage of congresspeople will be co-sponsoring this bill and this additional time will allow for the bill to make its way through congress, the senate and ultimately on the presidents desk!

More good news: "After months if not years of silence, the lobby group for terrestrial radio announced it is coming to the aid of Internet streamers"

Having the powerful NAB on the side of Internet broadcasters is major. It seems that the groundswell of support from listeners is making a difference.

Thanks to everyone on this site that pitched in calling, writing, emailing their senator or congressperson. We are no means out of the woods yet until the bill is passed, but the future is suddenly looking brighter!

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Sekhmet 
Posted: 03-May-2007, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

::stare:: Terrestrial radio is pitching in? 'Scuse me while I look for the flying pigs outside.

Well, we've got a reprieve, anyway. Keep pluggin', guys.
gtrplr 
Posted: 03-May-2007, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Nashville, TN

male

MacFive, I wouldn't have known about this without your e-mail. Thank you.

It's been months since I've had time to listen to CR, but I still hold this site dear to my heart. While I realize that nothing lasts forever, to be forced out by people who care nothing for music, musicians or anything else except their bottom line (yes, I'm talking about you, RIAA) absolutely frosts my bollocks. I have a better chance of becoming our next President than I do of landing a major record label deal. Internet radio is one of the avenues by which I can have my music heard. No, it probably wouldn't be on CR, since I don't have anything Celtic in the works. But as long as there is internet radio, I at least have a shot at having my music heard, and perhaps selling a few downloads or CD's. I may not make a living at it. I may not make a nickel. But somewhere out there in cyberspace is a person who likes my music. I don't know who they are, but they are there. They don't even know they like my music yet. They don't know my name. But through IR, we can come together. They can hear me, I can touch them. Without IR, we both lose.

I plan to call a local talk show in the morning and at least try to broach this subject. If I can make a few people aware of what's happening, maybe one or two will care enough to climb on the bandwagon. If we all do this, maybe we can make enough people care to get the message across to the CRB, the RIAA and everyone else. WE'RE MAD AS HELL AND WE'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!

End of rant

Finally, a few quotes:

The revolution starts now. - Steve Earle

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system and too soon to shoot the bastards. - Claire Wolfe

America was neither founded nor freed by the well-behaved. - Unknown

--------------------
Randal Smith alias Smitty the Kid
Wielder of the Six-String Claymore!

"We have enough Youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
"When the going gets tough, the smart go fishing!"

PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 06-May-2007, 05:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
251,003 Gold!

Here is an update on where we stand on the Save Net Radio Fight!

The CRB in their rulin changed the date that the new Royalty Payments are due to July 15, 2007! Effectively giving us a 60 day window to get the Internet Radio Equity Act passed!

This is great news because it shows there is alot of pressue on the CRB to not kill Internet Radio.

Last count there was something like 50 congresspeople that are co-sponsoring the bill. It is looking very good right now, but it ain't over until it is over.

Please please call your congressperson and senator to let them know that they should support the Internet Radio Equity Act.

If it passes, then Highlander Radio will be around for a very long time. Thanks!
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
MDF3530 
  Posted: 07-May-2007, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I have emailed my congressman and Senators Durbin and Obama repeatedly on this issue.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
subhuman 
Posted: 13-May-2007, 02:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacWillow

Realm: 127.0.0.1

male

Dang, someone want to dig up a few of my Anti-RIAA rants from about a year ago? tongue.gif
Anyway, for those interested, a link to a PDF version of H.R. 2060:
http://www.house.gov/inslee/docs/pdfs/inte..._april_2007.pdf

Aaediwen said:
So if I record a song then it can't be played on Internet Radio without the RIAA getting a piece?

Of course. The RIAA gets a cut of every blank music CD-R sold, too.
What's the difference between a blank data CD-R and a music CD-R? The music one costs more because the RIAA gets a cut of the money. There's no physical difference between them. Similar for blank cassette tapes.
Whether an artist is signed to the RIAA or not, they still generate the RIAA money. Ironicly, you'll be very hard-pressed to find an artist who says that the RIAA makes them money- which is the way it's supposed to work, isn't it?

--------------------
I have two modes: wiseass and dumbass. Mode is determined by current blood alcohol level.

Drinking is a sport. In order to be competitive, you must practice on a regular basis. Although you can practice alone, it is much more fun to practice with friends. If you're out of shape and practice too hard, you will regret it the next day.

Life is a disease. It is sexually transmitted and always terminal.
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 13-May-2007, 04:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (subhuman @ 13-May-2007, 03:06 PM)

Of course.  The RIAA gets a cut of every blank music CD-R sold, too.
What's the difference between a blank data CD-R and a music CD-R?  The music one costs more because the RIAA gets a cut of the money.  There's no physical difference between them.  Similar for blank cassette tapes.

Ergo, I've never bought a 'Music' CD-R. No point. Data is data. So what if that data just happens to be a linear 16 bit PCM stream at 44.1Khz?
CelticRadio 
Posted: 13-May-2007, 05:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
251,003 Gold!

***BREAKING NEWS***

A Senate counterpart to the Internet Radio Equality Act (H.R. 2060) has just been introduced with bipartisan sponsorship from Senators Ron Wyden (R-OR) and Sam Brownback (R-KS).

The Senate bill arrives on the heels of the House bill that has now garnered over 60 co-sponsors in the short time since it was introduced.

The fight continues and popular support for internet radio is being heard in the halls of Congress and the Senate.

So what shall the RIAA do now? They have proposed that Terrestrial Radio (AM/FM) should now start paying royalty payments to them. For 70 years AM/FM have paid royalties through ASCAP, BMI and SESAC.

If you ask me, I get the feeling that the RIAA have been over-run by a bunch of attorneys. What we need are reasonable people to come to reasonable agreements and not start new battles with AM/FM radio at this point!

It is sad that an organization made to support artists and musicians is actually doing the opposite.

SHIFT HAPPENS! The RIAA needs to embrace the change, not fight it!
Senara 
Posted: 14-May-2007, 12:16 PM
Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

dare I say a few more holes have been poked into the dam??? It's amazing to see the progress so far. Just want to thank everyone that has been writing, calling, and expecially want to thank MacFive for keeping us on top of things.

Guinness is on me boys....you just have to get to Wisconsin to claim it!

--------------------
Senara-ism : Life is like a theatrical production only you get to be actor, director, and audience all at once. So break a leg, sit back and enjoy the show!

"When the waves are high and the light is dying, raise a glass and think of me..." -Gaelic Storm

Cha chòir dòrn a thoirt an aghaidh pòig.
A kiss ought not to be met with a fist.

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

"I am a crazy, rabid squirrel! I want my cookies!" Hammy-Over the Hedge
PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted: 15-May-2007, 10:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

There are now 72 cosponsors to H.R. 2060. Seems to be growing everyday! Check this link and see if your representative is one of them. Mine's not, so I'm going to continue to drip! Have a great day everyone!

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d1...d110HR.lst:@@@P

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 15-May-2007, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Ben Chandler's on the list! YAAAY!
Rindy 
Posted: 16-May-2007, 12:38 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

YES!!!! Barbara Cubin is on the list. She even took the time to email me about it. thumbs_up.gif

Slainte

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]