Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: My place

Dunblane ponders Tesco move
The Stirling Observer
Jun 11 2010 by Iain Howie
News from Stirlingshire, Scotland

TESCO’S proposals for a new Dunblane store have provoked a mixed reaction.

Two out of the three options being considered to increase the supermarket giant’s presence in the cathedral city were shown to the public on Tuesday at the Braeport Centre. Visitors were shown diagrams of the two options, both of which would see the new supermarket built at Perth Road, and held discussions involving a possible third development site at Barbush.

The new shop would be bigger than the company’s existing Metro store but smaller than Tesco in Stirling. One of the Perth Road plans involves putting a petrol station in front of the shop. The project would also incorporate a pedestrianised public space. Organisers of the exhibition said the preferred option was for Perth Road

Questions were asked about the impact on the neighbouring golf course, the Darn Walk which connects to Bridge of Allan and also a lodge house, which was not visible in one of the sets of plans. Some visitors said Dunblane needs a filling station but were concerned about the loss of parking in the town, which already struggles with commuter parking. Visitors were asked to complete a questionnaire on their shopping habits and what they thought should go on the existing Tesco site at Springfield Terrace if the proposals are successful.

Doug Wilson of Tesco Stores Limited said: “Relocation to a larger store at Perth Road is a great opportunity to allow us to better serve our customers while freeing up our existing store up for other possible uses.”

A spokesperson for Vico Properties, which is involved with the proposals, said: “There is a clear need for a better supermarket to keep people shopping in Dunblane. We believe our site at Perth Road is the best possible location to meet this need, while also providing direct and easy access to the town centre.”

What do you think? Air your views in the Observer’s letters page by emailing [email protected] or writing to 34 Upper Craigs, Stirling, FK8 2DW. Or take part in our online "Does Dunblane need a new Tesco store?” poll at www.stirlingobserver.co.uk.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 12-Jun-2010, 08:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Sounds like a blast...

Kingdom set for crowning glory
The Stirling Observer
Jun 11 2010 by Iain Howie
News from Stirlingshire, Scotland

KIPPEN’S 31st annual street fayre takes place tomorrow (Saturday) and it is hoped many children sign up for the fancy dress parade leaving the school at 11am. The parade will be led by the Queen and her attendants with prizes awarded for the funniest, the most original, most topical, best group and best overall costume. The school is open from 10am and judging by Gary Gaulston and Bobby Wilson takes place at 10.30am.

After the crowning ceremony by the garage forecourt on Main Street, there are many stalls set up from the Cross to the school where childrens’ amusements – and later the dog show – will be based. Cafes will be operating in the school and the church with outside seating at both hotels and hot pancakes and the usual super beefburgers available.

A fly-past of microlites is set to take place at 1pm, followed by the prize draws, with splendid prizes again available at the fayre HQ tent by the garage forecourt – the tent is also the place to elect the King of Kippen. The centuries old Smiddy and shop at the Cross is open and at around 3.15pm the gunge auction completes the day.

Two years ago saw the village re-establish the tradition of crowning a King of Kippen and last year a Prince of Kippen was also crowned for the first time. Both the King and Prince fought off strong competition in trials of strength, courage and skill (and cracker-eating) so once again this year the village will be eagerly waiting to see who emerges the victors.

This year’s event is also being boosted by the artistic efforts of two Kippen Primary School children. Each year the school hosts a competition to draw a poster to advertise the event, with the winner’s effort shown around the village, but the runner-ups poster also being used as part of the event.

This year Harriet Patterson (9) of P5 scooped top prize with her colourful effort depicting people taking part in the fair. Her classmate Catherine Kerr was runner up. There is still time to book a stall at the Fayre by calling Lindsay on 01786 870609.

For more details on all the events at the Fayre visit the website www.kippenstreetfayre.org.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 16-Jun-2010, 06:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Third of new jobless are north of Border
The Scotsman, Edinburgh
17 June 2010
By David Maddox

THE latest jobless figures have fuelled concerns that Scotland is more vulnerable to the recession than the rest of the UK. Scottish unemployment rose by 7,000 to 212,000 in the three months to April, a 35,000 increase on the year before. Figures rose 23,000 in the UK as a whole, so one in three of those will have lost their job north of the Border. And the Scottish unemployment rate of 8 per cent now stands above the UK average of 7.9 per cent.

The economic activity rate in Scotland, measuring those working or seeking work, fell by 40,000 over the quarter to 2,644,000, and fell by 48,000 over the year. This means Scottish economic activity rate is now also below the UK average.

CBI Scotland director Iain McMillan said the figures confirmed warnings he and others had made that Scotland was too reliant on public sector employment, and that, with cuts of up to £1.9 billion expected next year, the situation could only get worse. "We have been warning for years that there is an imbalance in the public and private sector that politicians need to address," he said. "These figures confirm, too, Scotland is going to take much longer to get out of the recession than the UK, and this is because the private sector is too small."

The issue was raised in the first Scottish questions of the Westminster parliamentary session, with shadow Scottish secretary Jim Murphy complaining about the government cancelling the Future Jobs Fund. But Lib Dem Scottish Secretary Michael Moore insisted employment and training were still being supported.

Labour also blamed the Scottish Government for the figures. Its Holyrood finance spokesman, Andy Kerr, said: "We are lagging behind the rest of the UK in employment rates, business start-ups and economic recovery. The SNP has cancelled essential projects such as the Glasgow Airport Rail Link, and over £2bn in investment has been lost, along with 30,000 construction jobs, because of its ideological objection to private finance."

But SNP enterprise minister Jim Mather insisted Scotland was continuing to see fragile signs of recovery. He argued that the UK government needed to reconsider its proposed cuts. "We cannot take risks with jobs and recovery," he said. "These figures reinforce the importance of the Scottish Government deferring further cuts in order to support recovery and maintain employment now."

Meanwhile, there were concerns about the overall UK unemployment rate as the figure crept close to 2.5 million. At Prime Minister's Questions, acting Labour leader Harriet Harman demanded that David Cameron pledge not to make any decisions that would lead to job losses, referring to further cuts expected in the emergency Budget next week. She accused the government of "talking down the economy".

Mr Cameron hit back:"Never mind talking the economy down, Labour did the economy down. They left this country with a £155bn deficit, the biggest in our peacetime history".
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 16-Jun-2010, 07:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Five years' jail for grandmother who kept father's wartime memento
The Scotsman, Edinburgh
17 June 2010
By JOHN ROBERTSON

A WOMAN who claimed she had hidden a gun under her mattress to keep it away from her grandchildren was jailed for five years yesterday. Gail Cochrane, 53, said she inherited the weapon, a German military pistol, when her father died. He had served in the Royal Navy and the handgun was a "war trophy" which she held while thinking of him.

She told a court that she had been worried about her grandchildren discovering the gun when she kept it in a box in a wardrobe, and moved it to under her mattress. However, the judge, Lady Smith, said the claim "made no sense", and that Cochrane had no reasonable explanation for failing to hand in the gun to the authorities.

Lady Smith ruled that there were no exceptional circumstances to prevent Cochrane from receiving a mandatory five-year jail term for possessing the weapon. Police found the gun under a mattress in Cochrane's home in Morgan Street, Dundee, on 17 June last year, while they were searching for her son, who had failed to attend a court hearing.

Cochrane admitted having the 7.65mm Browning self-loading pistol without holding a firearms certificate or having the permission of Scottish ministers. Under laws introduced in the wake of the Dunblane shooting massacre, the offence carries a minimum five-year jail sentence unless a judge is satisfied there are "exceptional circumstances".

Cochrane said her father, John, died 29 years ago and a box of wartime belongings, including the gun, was found among his property. "I took the gun, for sentimental value. Sometimes I held it to think of my dad. I know it sounds stupid," said Cochrane.

She claimed she kept the gun in a box on a shelf in a walk-in wardrobe, but her grandchildren began to keep computers in the wardrobe and were forever "climbing about in there".

Cochrane denied she had been hiding the gun for anyone, and said she had never thought she might be committing a crime by holding on to it, or that she needed a licence. Lady Smith said she could accept with some hesitation Cochrane's account of how she first came into possession of the weapon. "However, if she wanted something to remember him by, a gun, particularly one she was not aware he possessed, does appear to have been an odd choice to make," said the judge. "I do not accept the reason for moving it under the mattress was to keep it away from children who had been getting access to her walk-in wardrobe. That explanation simply does not make sense."

She ruled that access to the gun had been open to Cochrane's son, who had "significant previous convictions". "I cannot find myself satisfied this is one of those rare cases where exceptional circumstances exist. The result is I have no alternative but to sentence Mrs Cochrane to a period of five years' imprisonment."

Her son, John Cochrane, 33, screamed abuse and stormed from the court as the sentence was passed.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 16-Jun-2010, 07:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Laird's plan to build billionaires' Highland hideaway thrown
The Scotsman, Edinburgh
Date: 17 June 2010
By Frank Urquhart

AMBITIOUS proposals to transform one of the most remote stretches of Highland Perthshire into a £1.3 billion private playground for the world's super-rich lay in ruins last night. Members of Perth and Kinross Council voted at a special meeting to throw out controversial plans for the Dall Estate on the shores of Loch Rannoch.

Malcolm James, the laird, had boasted of developing his sprawling estate into a Highland "paradise" where only the "multi-multi-billionaires" of the world would have the exclusive right to relax in one another's exalted company. He announced that the minimum liquid net worth of clients using the estate would be set at £100 million, with membership fees of £2m and annual dues of £500,000.

But local groups, including the Dall Community Association, Rannoch and Tummel Community Council and the Loch Rannoch Conservation Association, had vigorously opposed development, claiming it threatened one of Scotland's most picturesque, unspoiled landscapes and the local tourism industry.

Senior council planners also recommended that the Loch Rannoch scheme should be rejected, claiming it would contravene both local and national planning policies. At yesterday's special meeting councillors votes 21-3 to reject the outline application. The three councillors who voted against refusal had moved that the application be deferred.

Ian Campbell, the Tory councillor for the Highland ward, moved that the application be refused. He said: "In my view the massive scale of the development is inappropriate for that area of Rannoch. I was also particularly concerned that, after years in the making, the applicant had been unable to respond to the concerns of virtually all the statutory consultees."

But Mr Campbell stressed: "It is still open for him (Mr James] to come back with a revised proposal."/I]

Alan Grant, the SNP councillor for Strathmore, seconded the motion to refuse. He said: [I]"My concerns were based on the potential, as I see it, damage to the environment and ecology of the south side of Loch Rannoch. I was also concerned about the arbitrary manner in which it appears the applicant thinks he can deal with public rights of way."

Mr James, the reclusive owner of the Dall estate, first revealed his plan to transform his sprawling property into the exclusive resort for the mega-rich in August 2009, sparking a storm of local and national protest. His plans included a luxury hotel with 104 rooms, two 18-hole golf courses and clubhouse, a state-of-the-art health spa, a concert hall, a "body-enhancement clinic" with surgery facilities, a retail arcade and a shore-side restaurant based on the design of a crannog.

He could not be contacted for comment on the council's decision.

------------------
Addendum:
And so the merry ole Scots, ever fearful of 'what-ifs', continue to grumble unrelentingly over their perpetual high unemployment with a beautiful view...
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 18-Jun-2010, 07:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Pet cat saved owners' lives as fire broke out in
Edinburgh Evening News
18 June 2010

A PET cat saved its owners' lives by waking them up while a fire tore through their house. Ken Page and Jenny Ferguson were sleeping in their home in Athelstaneford, East Lothian when the blaze broke out in their kitchen.

But thankfully their terrified moggy made such a commotion that it woke them up. The pair, both 64, were able toADVERTISEMENTcall the fire brigade before the flames got out of control.

Fire chiefs said the house didn't have a smoke detector installed, meaning that the cat's actions were the only clues of the growing blaze. The fire broke out at around 1am yesterday morning at the small cottage. Both Ken and Jenny were taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary suffering from smoke inhalation, with Ken also being treated for burns on his hands.

But yesterday afternoon Jenny returned to the home with a relative to clean up and collect her belongings before going to stay with relatives. She said: "I'm fine. My partner is okay, he's still in the hospital but he'll be fine. It was the cat making noises that woke us up. The cat is fine – she's been here in the back garden all morning. There is a lot of smoke damage. We can't live here. It is just the kitchen really but we can't stay here just now."

Jenny was too distressed to talk any more about what happened, but a neighbour said that the black and white cat had saved the couple's lives. The woman – who did not want to be named – visited the couple's home to see how they were after hearing about the fire on the news. She said: "I used to work beside Jenny but she left a few years ago to go work with Ken – he's a cook at the Conservative Club in Haddington. They have had a number of cats across the years. Seems like the cat saved their lives."

The village came to a standstill as emergency services arrived to deal with the fire. Colin Armstrong, who lives behind the couple's house, was woken by the noise and went to see what was happening. He said: "At around 1am all the fire engines were down there along with the ambulance and police. There was smoke everywhere. The fire brigade weren't away till about 4am – they didn't leave until they had made sure the property was safe. It really was quite atrocious. They took them to hospital – I saw her getting in the ambulance. They have been in the village a few years. I don't really know her very well but Ken's a nice man. I did hear the firemen say something about a cat, but I never saw one there."

A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said that the couple had a lucky escape. She added: "Not everybody has a cat so finely tuned as this one clearly was, so a smoke detector is a must for every home. From what we understand, there wasn't any smoke detection device in the property. A smoke detector is the best way to give yourself a chance of an early warning. We will happily set them up for free in people's homes. Peace of mind for people to protect themselves and their pets costs nothing. We are really glad that the couple only suffered minor injuries, but it is important to get across the message that smoke detectors save far more lives than cats do."
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 18-Jun-2010, 07:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Lothian enjoys low rent
Edinburgh Evening News
19 March 2010

COUNCIL house tenants in East Lothian pay the second lowest rents in Scotland, a new survey has found. The average weekly rent is just £43.75, more than a third lower than Edinburgh's £69.61. The comparison, by Cosla, found that only Moray Council charged lower rents. East Lothian was well below the Scottish average of £54.65 a week.

PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 20-Jun-2010, 12:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

‘I learned my trade in Aberdeen’ says award-winning film-maker
Emma strikes gold at awards ceremony

Aberdeen Evening Express
By by Sally McDonald
19/06/2010

A FILM-MAKER who learned her craft in Aberdeen is already on her way to making her first £1 million. Emma Brumpton has rubbed shoulders with international celebrities such as Bill Clinton and Usain Bolt, and has just landed a Gold Award from the Association of Colleges after being nominated by Aberdeen College.

Emma, 26, was “delighted” with her award, presented at the House of Commons last week. To find out who else Emma has rubbed shoulders with, pick up a copy of today’s Evening Express or read our digital edition now

Read more: http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.as...2#ixzz0rQ54hkJl
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 20-Jun-2010, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Bottle of 1937 Glenfiddich whisky sold for £25,200
Drink sells for one of the highest prices ever
Aberdeen Evening Express
By Tim Sculthorpe
17/06/2010

A BOTTLE of malt whisky produced in Dufftown has sold at auction for more than £25,000. Auctioneers at Bonhams in Edinburgh said the price reached for the 70cl bottle of Glenfiddich was one of the highest ever. Bonhams’ whisky specialist Martin Green said: “The moment I saw it, I knew we had something special.”

The bottle of whisky, one of 61 produced by the Dufftown distillery in 1937, was one of 10 released as a batch in 2001.

Read more: http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.as...9#ixzz0rQ6gD8y0
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 01-Jul-2010, 04:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Queen's old racing yacht sails into Capital
Edinburgh Evening News
Date: 01 July 2010

A CLASSIC racing yacht once owned by the Queen sailed into its new home in the Capital today. The 63ft Bloodhound arrived in Edinburgh to join her "big sister" the Royal Yacht Britannia, now a popular tourist attraction in Leith docks. She will form part of a new exhibition on the Royal Family's passion for sailing after being bought by trustees earlier this year.

The Bloodhound was built for US huntsman Isaac Bell in 1936, and has an illustrious ocean-racing history. The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh bought her in 1962. Two crew members who worked on the yacht during her royal ownership helped sail her into Leith today.

Chairman of the Royal Yacht Britannia Trust Rear Admiral Neil Rankin said: "It is with a great sense of pride that we welcome such an important part of royal sailing history to her new home, and just as we maintain Britannia for future generations to enjoy, we will similarly care for Bloodhound." The Bloodhound was sold to the trust earlier this year by Tony and Cindy McGrail, who spent four years restoring the yacht.

Her numerous racing victories include the Morgan Cup in 1936, the North Sea Race in 1949 and 1951, and the Lyme Bay Race in 1959 and 1965. The exhibition opens tomorrow, with visitors able to view the yacht from a specially-built pontoon.

PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 01-Jul-2010, 04:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

School's out for summer ..and forever
Edinburgh Evening News
Date: 01 July 2010
By GEMMA FRASER

TODAY marks the start of the summer holidays, undoubtedly the favourite day in the school calendar for pupils across the Capital. But while every school will shut down until mid-August, four primaries in the Capital will never reopen.

From today, Royston, Drumbrae, Burdiehouse and Fort primaries will be consigned to the history books after serving their communities for a combined total of more than 220 years. As the four primaries closed their doors for the last time, the Evening News paid them a visit.

ROYSTON
Opened: 1937
Capacity: 379
Current school roll: 110
Receiving schools: Granton and Forthview

WITH vuvuzela practice under way, pupil artwork adorning the walls and smiling, cheery staff, it's hard to imagine these are the final moments of Royston Primary School. Look behind the scenes, though, and piled-high boxes marked with teachers' names and the schools they will be sent to tell a different story. After 73 years, this is the end.

But staff have been determined to keep things as normal as possible for the children to the end, leaving packing until after home time and insisting that all resources such white boards are left until the final bell sounds. "Children are still learning and our children need the stability and structure, and we wanted to give them that right till the end," said headteacher Andrew Hunter

Since opening in 1937, the school has seen generations of pupils through its doors, with many taught by deputy headteacher Hazel Danskin, who has been at Royston for 24 years. She said: "I started in the nursery and a lot of the three and four-year-olds that I had then are back with their children. I feel quite proud that people want to bring their own children back to the school they went to. The closure is sad, but life is all about changes and we have to move on. That's the way of life."

The children, who were all given school sweatshirts last year thanks to the fundraising efforts of the parent council, have all had them signed by their classmates to mark the end of their school days at Royston. They have also all been presented with a school photo.

With just 110 pupils on the final school roll, the photo would have looked different to the one taken back in 1937, where almost 900 pupils would have had to cram in to be seen. Mr Hunter added: "It's always a sad time when a school closes, but the building is not the school – it's the people who make a school. The school always lives on in people's memories and hearts."

DRUMBRAE
Opened: 1959
Capacity: 306
Current school roll: 59
Receiving schools: Clermiston and East Craigs

"I'm heartbroken because this has been my life for 24 years." The words of Allan Brown – one of only three janitors to have ever worked at Drumbrae – are echoed by pupils, teachers, families and the local community at the thought of losing their school forever.

As host to everything from Brownies and youth clubs to the Women's Guild and football tournaments, the closure is likely to hit all members of the local community hard. Children and staff were in tears during the final moments of their lives at Drumbrae – which they ended with a giant conga round the school grounds – and the fall-out will be felt for years to come.

Mr Brown, who has worked under six headteachers during his time at Drumbrae, said: "It's been the centre of the community for years. When there was a big stair fire 20 years ago, I opened the school up and brought in the residents for tea and coffee because that's the kind of community school it always has been. This has ripped the community apart."

Mr Brown, who lives in the house beside the school, added: "Packing everything away is the hardest part. Old photos and trophies are going into archive at the council. It's going to be heartbreaking to see it demolished. There are a lot of happy memories."

BURDIEHOUSE
Opened: 1956
Capacity: 306
Current school roll: 92
Receiving schools: Gracemount and Gilmerton

ALTHOUGH it may be hard to imagine, the Burdiehouse area has its roots in the city of Bordeaux. It is said that when Mary, Queen of Scots came to Edinburgh and resided at Craigmillar Castle, her French ladies-in-waiting stayed in the Burdiehouse community, adapting the name Bordeaux House for their new surroundings.

As with the rather glamorous beginnings of the area, Burdiehouse Primary was also opened to a fanfare in 1956 by the Countess of Dalkeith. It had a capacity for 700 pupils, but had to bring in mobile units to cope with its popularity and ended up accommodating about 1,000 children.

But despite starting out as a thriving school, it has retained only 40 per cent of its catchment children in recent years. Myra Appolinari, who has been headteacher of Burdiehouse for almost eight years, said: "Unfortunately, Burdiehouse and Southhouse have a reputation – not the school, but the area – which has made a lot of parents send their children to other schools. That really has been the death knell of the school. In 2002, there was a regeneration of housing in the area and people moved out of the area and it never regained. It was still a viable school which provided high levels of support for the children and lots of space to work in – apparently we have got the largest playground in Scotland.

"Whilst we have always wanted to have more children, 160 was quite a good number to work with, but when it went down again in the past couple of years it became more challenging."

She added: "I think it will be hard for people. Parents will miss being able to come to concerts and open days and to have a local school. However, a lot of children have already been going to other schools and still feel part of that bigger community and I'm sure that will continue."

FORT
Opened: 1968
Capacity: 279
Current school roll: 80
Receiving school: Trinity

DESKS and chairs in tow, the pupils happily turned their back on their old school and headed forward to their future. But while the big move from the old North Fort Street Primary across the street to the brand new Fort Primary back in 1968 was the start of a new chapter, today brings a sad end to more than 100 years of schooling in the area.

Parents fought to save the school – and there were rumours they would succeed – but it was condemned by the council. Vikki Spence, of the Fighting For Fort campaign, said: "There has been a school on that site for over 100 years. People are still disappointed because the school has always been very central to the community because of the community centre and nursery all being in one place."

But headteacher Jacqueline Scott says with Fort House due for demolition, this is the right time to move forward. She said: "We are looking at this in the way of change being a good thing. The children are excited and aren't seeing it as a negative thing – it's more the parents and the community who are viewing it that way. A lot of families have lived in Fort House which is also coming to the end of an era, so it's about looking forward."

Both Fort and Trinity schools have been working with pupils to promote the idea of saying goodbye and moving on, with the example of a caterpillar changing into a butterfly used in an assembly. Children – as well as former pupils – have also been encouraged to write their favourite memories of the school on bricks and place them on a "memory wall".

Mrs Scott added: "This closure has gone as well as it possibly could. The children are all going to one school and they're excited."

"It is just a memory now, but a good one."
By Gina Davidson

I STILL have the red and white striped tie that saw me through seven years at Burdiehouse. I can still remember my mum tying it on my first day, the matching red ribbons in my hair.

That was 1976. Thousands have passed through the corridors since then. Yet now at Burdiehouse, at the school down the dip, the bell has finally tolled its last. No more British Bulldogs in the playground, no more sports days in view of the glass-fronted infant classes, no more music lessons behind the stage.

It all feels incredibly sad. For a long time Burdiehouse was a forgotten place. Not poverty-stricken enough to attract the do-gooders and European monies which Craigmillar and Wester Hailes did, but a place still blighted by drugs and unemployment.

Perhaps it's a rose-tinted view, but the school seemed to rise above it. The headmaster was William Chisholm and he still wore a black cloak. "Old-fashioned" values were instilled – respect for teachers, your surroundings, yourself – and parental involvement was encouraged.

Things did change towards the end of that decade. The area received public investment, council houses were improved, flats were replaced with private homes. But the school seemed to start to fail and the roll fell.

Parental choice has played its part. Sixty per cent of parents in the area send their kids to other schools. And yet, HMI reports are good and the teachers were working hard to turn things around.

Today, on the school's Facebook page are the words: "Burdiehouse is just a memory now". For me – and thousands of others – it's a good one.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 03-Jul-2010, 04:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

How about this tidbit from the local Scottish politbureau? Its just like a blast from the past of Lenin and Marx. If only we in the USA could have a government like this one!... wait, wait, don't tell me...

SCOTLAND’S LOCAL NEWSPAPER INDUSTRY UNDER SCRUTINY
10 December 2009
http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/nmCentre...lc09-s3-003.htm

The decline of the Scottish local newspaper industry will be put under the spotlight by the Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture Committee with a call for evidence launched today. In light of declining local and weekly newspaper circulation in Scotland, the committee believes it is time to look at the reasons behind this decline and the impact on local journalism, the local and weekly newspaper industry, as well as local communities. The committee will also look at the opportunities arising from the UK Government’s Digital Britain report and the future of local news gathering and reporting.

The evidence will inform the committee ahead of it taking oral evidence from representatives and commentators on the industry in January 2010. Committee Convener Karen Whitefield MSP said: The Committee believe that the threats to the local and weekly newspaper industry in Scotland should be highlighted. That is why our evidence sessions in January will look at issues such as the consequence of the economic recession and the impact of digital media as an alternative news source and advertising medium. Equally important are the implications in reporting on local issues and for local and regional culture.”

The Committee will take oral evidence from representatives of newspaper publishers and journalism at its meeting on 13 January 2010 and from other commentators on 20 January 2010 Call for evidence on Scottish local newspaper industry... [see link above]
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 03-Jul-2010, 05:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

New theory on baffling Stone of Destiny caper

Jul 2 2010 by Denis Brown
Perthshire Advertiser Friday

A NEW conspiracy theory may explain the baffling case of a bungled attempt to steal the replica Stone of Destiny from Scone Palace. In late April, palace staff and police were stumped following a bizarre overnight caper where crooks switched the replica with another fake.

Although intruders dumped the replica stone metres away from its plinth outside the Moot Hill chapel, they got clean away with a brass plaque. It reads: “A replica of the stone upon which the Kings of Scots were crowned on Moot Hill until 1296 when Edward I took the stone to Westminster Abbey.”

At the time, a clearly bemused palace spokesman said he didn’t have a clue as to a possible motive. “We’re just surprised that someone has tried to remove what is a 200kg stone that would have required at least four people to lift,” he said.

Tayside Police Detective Inspector Mike Pirie confirmed the puzzling case remained active and that the stone left by intruders had been examined by an archeologist and geologist.

“These experts confirmed it is a dense granite stone that would appear to have been obtained from a natural landscape rather than cut from a quarry,” he said. "I can't comment on the actual investigation, which is still ongoing."

But a former Perthshire man – who declined to give his name in fear of incriminating himself – believes he knows the identity of the culprit, a man in his 30s he shared a Perth flat with two years ago. One night, over a few pints, his flatmate told him a story that on face value sounded like a ripping yarn.

In 1998, the keen angler was fishing at the River Tay near Scone Palace when he accidentally unearthed part of a large stone. “He was a bit puzzled by the size and shape of the stone, but covered it up again, going back later to have a better look at it and convinced himself it was the real Stone of Destiny,” said the 27-year-old source, who now lives in Wales. "Over the years he often went back to examine it and only told a handful of people about it. I was sceptical, but he eventually took me down to have a look at it. I must admit I was a bit taken aback as I didn’t expect it to be so convincing. It was a big black shiny stone, uniform in shape. It wasn’t glowing like the entrance to the Stargate, but I was pretty intrigued.” After conducting research, he agreed with his flatmate that despite the absence of steel handles, the unearthed stone might actually be the real deal.

As legend has it, monks hid the real stone in 1296, duping English troops with a fake that was then installed beneath Westminster Abbey’s crowning throne. It now resides at Edinburgh Castle, although many believe the genuine Stone of Scone never left Scotland.

The former Perthshire man said he had contacted his old flatmate, who had indicated he was behind the attempted switch in April, apparently trying to restore the real stone to its rightful place. However, an authority on the subject, former Perth Provost, Alex Murray, downplayed the claim, insisting that the real stone – repatriated by Scottish students in 1950 and substituted with a fake – was “quite safe”.

“It was previously at Dull Church near Aberfeldy and only two people knew where it was and I was one of them,”
he said. “There’s an interesting story attached to it but you will have to read that when my memoirs are published posthumously.”

A Scone Palace spokesman said Lord Stormont had declined to comment on the latest revelation. “Lord Stormont feels it may prejudice any future court case,” he said.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 03-Jul-2010, 05:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

UK's oldest osprey is on the mend
Perthshire's Advertiser
Jun 28 2010

THE ‘Lady of the Loch’ appears to be out of the woods. After seemingly knocking at death’s door last weekend and distressing bird fanciers watching the drama unfold online around the world, the UK’s oldest breeding female osprey has bounced back.

Yesterday morning, Peter Ferns, manager of Scottish Wildlife Trust’s (SWT) Loch of the Lowes reserve, weary after days of split shifts maintaining a 24-hour vigil, said the 25-year-old marvel was now in fine fettle. "She seems to be out of the woods at the moment, no sign of any relapse, and going from strength to strength," he said. "She even saw off an intruder this morning, another osprey, while feeding her chicks."

Viewers of SWT’s ‘nest cam’, from countries such as China, Russia, Botswana, the US and Saudi Arabia, have been transfixed since Lady slumped in her nest last Saturday, leaving her mate to feed their two chicks. "The response has been overwhelming, so much so that our server crashed as it couldn’t cope with the amount of web traffic and needed to be upgraded," Mr Fearns said.

Having told the PA earlier this week that the final curtain for Lady was imminent, he said he now hoped that the much-loved osprey, against all odds, may live to breed another day.

"It’s still a wait and see situation, our vet thinks perhaps something neurological happened, or she picked up some kind of virus, but she’s now back on full feeding duties, so fingers crossed," he said.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 04-Jul-2010, 04:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

As much as I appreciate Scotland, and her history and heritage and land, I am still glad to be living in a land where the flag still stands for freedom...

Police denied suspects access to lawyers despite Scots ministers’ pledge to Euro court

The Herald - Scotland
Exclusive by Paul Thornton and Tom Gordon
4 Jul 2010

Scotland’s top police officers secretly ignored a Government promise to allow suspects immediate access to a lawyer, exposing the justice system to potentially catastrophic consequences. According to official records released under freedom of information laws, the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpos) told frontline staff it was “inappropriate” ever to allow lawyers access to suspects as soon as they were detained. “This effectively advises officers not to permit access to solicitors under any circumstances,” Acpos admitted in private.

The secret ban on legal access was in spite of a 2005 pledge to Europe by Scottish ministers that access would be granted unless there was an over-riding reason to deny it. The contradictory police advice, which came after the pledge was made, was withdrawn only last September, and could now cause major problems for the justice system.

The UK’s Supreme Court is due to rule in October on whether suspects in Scotland should have immediate access to lawyers. If, as is expected, the Court rules they should, thousands of old cases could be appealed if suspects gave interviews without a lawyer, even if they confessed to rape or murder. Those convicted on evidence from interviews without a lawyer could also seek compensation, while around 100,000 cases currently in the justice system would have to be reviewed.

Legal access has become a huge issue for Scotland since a 2008 ruling by the European Court of Human Rights, known as Salduz, which said access to a lawyer was an integral part of a person’s right to a fair trial. In England and Wales, suspects have had immediate access to lawyers since 1985. However, in Scotland, the police can interview suspects for up to six hours prior to an arrest without a lawyer present. ...

After the Committee ruled UK suspects should have access to a lawyer “from the very outset of their deprivation of liberty”, the Scottish Executive “accepted in principle that if a detained person requests access to a lawyer, or vice versa, this should be allowed, unless there is good reason to deny such access”. It said the “extent of access” would be determined by the professional judgment of the police, who would “consider the matter carefully” in each case.

In June last year, after the Conservatives warned that the Salduz ruling spelled “impending disaster”, the police, prosecutors, court service and Scottish Legal Aid Board discussed the issue at a “hastily convened” meeting.

For more, go to:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/crime-c...court-1.1039110
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]