Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Religious Vs. Spirituality, what is the difference?
oldraven 
Posted: 01-Apr-2005, 02:15 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (Shadows @ 29-Mar-2005, 08:16 PM)
To quote something I heard recently:

"...religions divide people, spirituality brings them back together..."

As evidenced by WizardofOwls' home church.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 01-Apr-2005, 02:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Concerning Wizardofowls situation, I went through a similar thing back in the 1980s. It basically came down to the folks who were long time members of the church, showing us young whippersnappers the door. Of course it did not happen that way. It is way too long of a story for that explanation.
But essentially, I have experienced the breakdown in communication and trust that one expects within a community, such as your local congregation. Its tough, and heartbreaking.
We pray all works out for the best Wiz.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 01-Apr-2005, 05:43 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I have personally been through a church split twice. It was the most painful and disappointing thing I had ever been through. Sadly, I still haven't gotten over it and have a hard time fully trusting people in the church. I go, but I try not to get involved like I used to. I have several friends from my current church who are constantly asking me when are me and my hubby actually joining the church (we have been attending there 5 years) and I am still very hesitant to do so. I am also always asked to join someone's home Bible study, but I never do anymore and prefer to study on my own. sad.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 07-Apr-2005, 04:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

A long time ago, our church had a group of people within its membership that became dissatisfied with our pastor at the time... they became very active at trying to stir up dissent within the congregation and succeeded in turning some people against the pastor.
What followed was the most unpleasant, disappointing thing I have ever witnessed in a church. So many people turned against the pastor that he felt he was no longer able to steer the church towards any long-term goals, and he resigned... there was such a large number of folks who supported him that the resignation was actually refused in a business meeting, and we all hoped that things would settle down.
They did not, and a few weeks later he resigned for good and left. About a fourth of the membership left too. As much as all that hurt our church, and as many sour feelings were left in the wake of the departure, we eventually found another pastor with a different style of preaching and leading that put us on another path to the future.

It is incredibly disappointing to see people do such horrendous things when they don't like a pastor or there is some other issue at stake... I've continued to attend this same church and altho my faith in my fellow church members has been damaged I still go there and find a lot of benefits in the current pastor's teachings and the other activities that are going on now.

SB

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]