Posted: 31-Mar-2004, 01:17 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

Heinlein and Asimov are the masters. Glory road and Future History by Heinlein set many standards. Lazarus Long is one of the truly great lechers of literature. biggrin.gif

The more recent books and authors abound. The Honor Harrington stories are entertaining and original, if tedious at times. Elizabeth Moon has some good stuff.

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
tsargent62 
Posted: 01-Apr-2004, 12:58 PM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

Interesting that no one has mentioned Frank Herber, author of the Dune series. I have to admit that I'm not as well-read as some of you, but if you haven't read Dune and the rest of the series, you're really missing out.

Then there's the Chronicals of Thomas Covenent, the Unbeliever. I'm beating my head trying to think of the authors name. It's similar in plot to LOTR, but done in very different way. Great stuff.

--------------------

Cheers!
Todd

Normal is a relative term. For some reason it is not a term my relatives use to describe me.

PMEmail Poster               
andylucy 
Posted: 02-Apr-2004, 01:11 AM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

QUOTE (tsargent62 @ Apr 1 2004, 11:58 AM)
Interesting that no one has mentioned Frank Herber, author of the Dune series.  I have to admit that I'm not as well-read as some of you, but if you haven't read Dune and the rest of the series, you're really missing out. 

Herbert is an excellent writer. I really enjoyed Dune, but the rest of the books in the series left me sort of cold. None of them measured up to the first book, IMHO.

QUOTE (tsargent62 @ Apr 1 2004, 11:58 AM)
Then there's the Chronicals of Thomas Covenent, the Unbeliever.  I'm beating my head trying to think of the authors name.  It's similar in plot to LOTR, but done in very different way.  Great stuff.

Thomas Covenant was an excellent series. Lord Foul was one of the ultimate villains, right up there with Sauron. It was written by Stephen R. Donaldson. I got hooked on them in the 8th grade, right after reading LOTR and The Silmarillion.

--------------------
Just my tuppence.

Andy

Never drink to excess; you might shoot at a tax collector and miss. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

TANSTAAFL

If a person doesn't believe in something, he'll soon believe in anything. - G. K. Chesterton

9-1-1: state sponsored Dial-A-Prayer
PMEmail Poster               
Crowned1 
Posted: 17-Apr-2004, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacHazel

Realm: The rolling green hills of North Carolina's Piedmont region.

female

Although I have not had a chance to pick them up yet, I hear that the Space trilogy by C.S. Lewis is pretty good... has anyone read them?
When I think about Lewis, I think fantasy though, since he was a professor of in Medevil British literature at Oxford, and a great friend of Tolkin.

~Crowned One king.gif

--------------------
~THE SELKIRK GRACE~

SOME HAE MEAT AN' CANNA EAT

AND SOME WAD EAT THAT WANT IT

BUT WE HAE MEAT AN' WE CAN EAT

AND SAE THE LORD BE THANKIT.

*BY ROBERT BURNS*
PMEmail Poster               
corrigan 
Posted: 17-Apr-2004, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Sarasota, FL

female

I love the Triffid series!

Also Dune... By the time I was 20 I had read Dune at least 7 times. I credit Dune, Lord of the Rings, Ivanhoe, and Ben Hur as most influential in shaping my moral & ethical character. I was fascinated by those books and read them over and over. Authors like Heinlein, Asimov, Niven... made me think, though I always felt a little inadequate when reading Heinlein, I can't do regular calculus in my head, never mind Tensor Calculus - what is Tensor Calculus?

Thanks for the tip about Charles DeLint I'll look him up! You might like The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. The first one in the series is Storm Front. Harry Dresden is a private detective specializing in magical phenomenom. His ad:

Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates. No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

The books are very like the golden age of detective fiction (Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler...) but with a sense of humor and magic!
PMEmail Poster               
Gormonbozia 
  Posted: 19-Apr-2004, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacWillow

male

I like reading Philip K. Dick books. He writes interesting and sometimes funny books. Other writer i like is Terry Pratchett who wrote The Disc World!! It's my favorite writer cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Blue_Rogue 
Posted: 05-May-2004, 10:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tulsa, Ok.

male

Well, seems like most everyone here enjoys reading all the masters from the
'Golden Age', myself included.

One of my favorite pastimes is to wonder through Boarders, checking out what's new.
Now, I don't know if it's my imagination, my age, or what, but has anyone else noticed that over say the past 5 - 10 years, science fiction has been real weak in the "new" area??

Seems like most of the new authors are just writing in "old universes"
I mean, is anyone else tired of reading Star Trek and Star Wars Books???

--------------------
Careful what you ask for, you might just get it.

House of Gordon

PMEmail Poster               
dfilpus 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

Vainamoinen
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

Like some of the others in this thread, I have a fairly extensive science fiction collection mostly from the Golden Age, perhaps a thousand volumes. However, I have almost nothing published since 1990. There are two trends that have polluted the stream of science fiction novels available in the main stream that has made it difficult for good novels to be published.

The first is the media crossover genre. It seems like every vaguely science fiction TV, movie or videogame has its line of novels, which although dreck, sell like hotcakes to the hardcore fans. Star Wars and Star Trek novels started the trend. Now there are hundreds published every year.

Second, every book now is part of a never ending series. The first Thomas the Covenant books and the first Xanth books were entertaining, but by the fourth or fifth book, the series had run its course. Even great books like Dune spawned horrid sequels. The worst crime in this is publishing a novel that is part of a multivolume novel without indicating that anywhere but on the last page on the novel.

Getting a standalone novel with no media connection published and on bookstore shelves and then reviewed can be so difficult.

I would appreciate any pointers to decent review sites to find out what independant novels are being published.

Thanks.

--------------------
Näkemiin

Dave (SCA: Geoffrey Genour of Carney)
Protector of Bits and Bytes, Third cousin once removed to Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light

user posted image

Help out with the site! Win prizes!
Suggest videos at VideoCelt.com

Check out the outstanding video - Merchant Marine by Celtae
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
gtrplr 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 02:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Nashville, TN

male

I haven't been following this thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned.

Check out Baen Books at www.baen.com. Baen is well known in the publishing field, authors include Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffery, Jerry Pournelle, Andre Norton, and tons more. Genres range from hard SF to fantasy.

Oh, yeah, he has a free library on the site, also. Awesome!

--------------------
Randal Smith alias Smitty the Kid
Wielder of the Six-String Claymore!

"We have enough Youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
"When the going gets tough, the smart go fishing!"

Blue_Rogue 
Posted: 13-May-2004, 12:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

Cool, thanks for the tip, will diffinitly have to look into that.

The last 'Modern' author I've found that write in his own universe was Allen Steele, I llike his style of writing and his stories. I was lucky enough to meet him once at a convention, he was a real down to earth guy, very freindly.

Something else that has gone commercial, Conventions. Now you go to convention, half the people are dressed as Kilgeons, the other as Stormtroopers, and none of them have a clue as to aho H.G. Wells was........sad.
PMEmail Poster               
gtrplr 
Posted: 13-May-2004, 04:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Something else that has gone commercial, Conventions. Now you go to convention, half the people are dressed as Kilgeons, the other as Stormtroopers, and none of them have a clue as to aho H.G. Wells was........sad.

Which is why I seldom attend conventions. My SF roots go back to age 9 (1962!!) when a friend gave me a box of books. Titles included "Men, Martians and Machines" by Eric Frank Russell, "Alien Planet" by Fletcher Pratt, and my favorite "The Naked Sun" by Isaac Asimov. That book made me a Asimov fan (although for the life of me I can't get into the Foundation series).
dfilpus 
Posted: 14-May-2004, 07:47 AM
Quote Post

Vainamoinen
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

Things haven't changed much. My last convention was Chicon in 1982 and they were already commercial then. I paid for convention travel by selling T-shirts in the dealer's room and playing poker up in the suites. A few writers (Gordie Dickson, George RR Martin and the Haldemans come to mind) dropped in and either played or watched.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Blue_Rogue 
Posted: 16-Jun-2004, 12:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

Raven,
I have heard alot about how good Lester Del Ray wrote. Had an ex-father-in-law that was his favorite author, and was even lucky enough to have meet the man.

I think I'll take your advice, next book......Lester Del Ray.
Got any suggestion for any perticular book?
PMEmail Poster               
gtrplr 
Posted: 16-Jun-2004, 03:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Just bought "Callahan's Con" by Spider Robinson. I read 71 pages at lunch, and am trying to figure out how to duck out of work for the rest of the day to finish it. Spider is one of my top two favorite living authors (the other being Mercedes Lackey).

If you haven't read the "Callahan" series, I highly recommend it, for the puns if nothing else.
bigjimhainey 
Posted: 11-Dec-2004, 02:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: South Mississippi

male

QUOTE (kelaorqu @ 18-Mar-2004, 05:00 PM)
has anyone ever read Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell? I don't know if you consider it science fiction, but it was one of the scariest, but good book I ever read...
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four

yes i read 1984 and Brave new world at the same time when i was in high school ( suprisingly i did it for fun not for class work) Really strange book. Theres a movie based on the book too, i believe it stars John Hurt. FREAKY movie.

also good description there Silverdragon. i am a fan of both so i lump them together when i talk about them but i do know the differences between them.

and gtrplr i have read EVERY book in the Callahan series, including the ones about his wife Lady Sally. Spider Robinson is a genius. although the puns get to be pretty bad. Callahan is a definate must read for any fan of ... well anything. I give it thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif .

--------------------
ERIN GO BRAGH

Beware the Celtic Storm

Big Jim Hainey
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt