Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
247,853 Gold!

With the Hurricane Ike bearing down on Texas our thoughts and prayers are with the many people along America's Gulf coast that are going to lose their homes and lives tonight. Hopefully with the evacuations loss of life will not happen, but with a storm of this magnitude it is a very dangerous situation for all.

The storm itself is a mammoth, stretching over 500 miles. Report of homes collapsing are already being reported.

user posted image

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Leelee 
Posted: 12-Sep-2008, 07:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Alberta, Canada

female

OMG..... cry.gif
PM               
Skeleman 
Posted: 12-Sep-2008, 07:12 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: North Carolina

male

Mammoth is right. I've heard that the biggest concern from Ike is not it's strength, although it's certainly not weak, is its massive size. By all reports I've seen, most people got out, for which I'm glad. Hopefully those who decided to stay, stay safe.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C. S. Lewis

"The Enrichment Center promises to always provide a safe testing environment. In dangerous testing environments, the Enrichment Center promises to always provide useful advice. For instance, the floor here will kill you. Try to avoid it." - GlaDOS - Portal
PMEmail Poster                
Rindy 
Posted: 12-Sep-2008, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

My thoughts and prayers going out to all of you! I think folks who didn't evacuate are out of their minds. I'd be gone in a heart beat. I have been watching online fox news. They have live updates. There's 22 men stuck on a vessel they are going to have to ride the storm out. This is all so scary. Hurricane winds are expected to last 10 to 12 hours. Keep safe everyone.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
subhuman 
Posted: 12-Sep-2008, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacWillow

Realm: 127.0.0.1

male

I think folks who didn't evacuate are out of their minds.

It's called natural selection.
If someone knows a storm that big is headed their way, and they stay put... IMO they deserve whatever happens.

--------------------
I have two modes: wiseass and dumbass. Mode is determined by current blood alcohol level.

Drinking is a sport. In order to be competitive, you must practice on a regular basis. Although you can practice alone, it is much more fun to practice with friends. If you're out of shape and practice too hard, you will regret it the next day.

Life is a disease. It is sexually transmitted and always terminal.
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 12-Sep-2008, 10:39 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

I agree with you there subhuman, choice what ever the reason I say its ignorance but I am not in the situation so I dont know what I would do were I would go. It would be hard to leave or stay. Poor people.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
subhuman 
Posted: 13-Sep-2008, 12:01 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

Realm: 127.0.0.1

male

Yeah, that came off kinda harsh. Anyway, sure I feel bad for anyone who's gonna lose their house in this. But let's face it- staying home isn't going to make the house survive. Material possessions can be replaced. Lives cannot. Get out while the gettin' is good, etc.
When the battle comes down to Man vs. Nature's Fury, put your money on Nature every time.
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 13-Sep-2008, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Well said subhuman. thumbs_up.gif

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 13-Sep-2008, 08:37 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
247,853 Gold!

What it comes down to is "are you a surviver"? Over 75% of people in a natural diaster will walk around in a daze and not survive. First to go are the Rambo types - to be a survivor you need to use all of the data around you and make good sound judgements on your fate to survive.

People that try to hold up in the face of certain death are taking a huge risk.

These storms can happen anywhere up and down the East Coast to the Gulf. The New England Hurricane of 1938 saw winds of 121 MPH with a peak wind gust of 186 MPH in Milton Massachusetts on top of Blue Hill - the highest Wind Gust from a hurricane ever recorded.

That storm was a huge surprise. The tidal wave and storm surge came upon the coastal towns of New England without any warning whatsoever. People where actually gawking at what they thought was a fog bank, when it was an intense hurricane steaming towards them!

PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
stevenpd 
Posted: 13-Sep-2008, 02:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

The following is a quote from another site that discusses such issues as disaster preparedness, disaster survivability and picking up the pieces after a disaster. Of course Hurricane Ike is a big point of discussion currently. The title of the topic was "What to Expect After a Disaster." It was written by Nomad on 2008-06-02 21:37:06. This is an attempt educate and not to frighten anyone. Understanding is the first step to resolution.

Reference

What to expect after a disaster? I was a Red Cross Volunteer doing large scale disaster work. Spent a month in New Orleans during/after Katrina and another month in Miami after Hurricane Wilma. Also worked many blizzards, floods and other assorted incidents.

The most serious things I encountered were not the loss of water, fuel, communications or shelter. The hardest to deal with were less tangible.

Expect to be tired. Very very tired. This leads to irritability, errors in judgment, lowered resistance to disease and accidents. And it is not just you that will be tired, but everybody will be tired. Bone dead tired. Imagine being in a town where everyone is stressed. Small incidents bloom into confrontations. People make stupid mistakes which irritate others. Everyone becomes edgy.

Confusion will be extreme. It will be almost impossible to find out what is really happening. Rumors will circulate so many times you will begin to believe the most ridiculous stories. You will spend energy going someplace to get something that is not available. Not once or twice but many times. Making important decisions will be very difficult. You (and others) will become disoriented. Nothing will be as it was. After Katrina there were no street signs. Something as simple as giving someone travel directions was a real challenge. Your everyday reality will be distorted and frightening.

It will be dangerous. Live electrical wires, polluted drinking water, flooded roads, downed trees, broken glass, blocked roads. All this will make any “normal” task difficult and dangerous. It took us several days to move a communications vehicle a short distance (blocks) because of the tangle of downed power lines, trees and debris.

Nothing will be routine. You will have to view each and every action in a new perspective. You will not be able to assume that a simple trip down the block to help a neighbor will be safe and easy.

You will not have any news. Most communications will be gone for a few days and that is when you need information the most. Soon some radio stations will be on the air,, but they will be overwhelmed with technical problems and staff shortages.

Your personal contacts will be limited. The worry about others that are not easily contacted will be very difficult and painful. Where is my daughter, is she alive? How are my friends doing?

Food will be bad. Not dangerous, but not what you are used to either. Limited cooking facilities, lack of refrigeration and repetitive meals will replace your normal fare.

Your living conditions will be uncomfortable. No showers and perhaps very limited water to do even minimal bathing. Privacy may be non-existent. Others may be sharing your living space. Noise, body smells, sleeping on the floor, not having personal space all contribute to tension and discomfort.

You will be doing hard physical work. Much more that you are used to. Long hours, infrequent rests, poor food will make work difficult.

Some supplies will be missing. Perhaps not the big stuff like water, but other less planned for items like toilet paper, proper clothing, parts for equipment that gets broken. Small inconveniences that add up to more stress.

Getting along with others will be difficult. The normal roles we are used to will change. Some will become “boss” when you know a better way. It will take a long time to make group decisions. Everyone will want things just a bit different, and have very good reasons why their needs are just. The normal workplace type “human problems” will be much more difficult to resolve.

Lines of authority will be confused. Who is really in charge? What are the rules? Who decides who gets what? What should be done first? How should group resources be allocated and who decides?

Poor communication skill will obscure intent. When people try to describe situations outside their normal world, the ability to communicate clearly becomes difficult. This is especially true of people thrust into leadership positions that are not used to creating clear, concise and unambiguous instructions.

Social control becomes difficult. Some will need things desperately enough to steal. Others will see the weak as prey. Stress will cause some to act irrationally and violently.

Life becomes very scary. When the normal routine of life is gone, when people are stressed, when the correct path is obscured, when family or friends are killed or missing, when normal social roles are distorted, then life becomes very scary indeed.

What you expect will probably not be what you encounter. But the situation becomes a bit easier when you know that the “normal” will not be normal and that stress will become a very large part of your life.

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2018 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
valpal59 
Posted: 13-Sep-2008, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

Thank-you for posting that, Stevenpd. I never realized how bad it could be. We have had tornadoes, but the damage was never severe. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by Ike.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
LadyJeanetta 
Posted: 13-Sep-2008, 07:07 PM
Quote Post

Librarian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Vernon Hills, IL, USA

female

My thoughts and prayers are with those in the area who won't leave, or for some reason *can't* leave, as well as those who do leave their homes in search of safer ground. May you all stay safe and find peace again as you rebuild your lives after this disaster.
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 13-Sep-2008, 08:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I was in Norfolk Va. on business in the late 60's and a hurricane was aimed for Kitty Hawk. I had never seen one so I drove down. I spent the night at Kill Devil Hills watching it. As I recall, I was on the north side of the storm. It was a stupid thing to do but I was young and immortal then! Since, I saw the aftermath of Andrew and that was BAD!!!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Harlot 
Posted: 13-Sep-2008, 08:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

I have a very old and dear friend who lives in Mission Tx. 20 or 25 years ago he lived in Corpus Christi ,they had another Hurricane(I don't remember that ones name) it took me 4 days to get hold of him. This time he called me to let me know he and his family are ok. It was northeast of where he lives.

My prayers go out to all the people who are there ,and hope they are all safe. God's hand will be around each and everyone of them.

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 14-Sep-2008, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

My thoughts and prayers for all those that are on the path of this monster for it is a killer. Unfortunately it's only the beginning....

LOA

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]