Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> Excavation Starts At Stonehenge
Leelee 
Posted: 05-Apr-2008, 06:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Alberta, Canada

female

Regardless, I feel that THEY shouldn't be poking around such a sacred place. I don't know too, too much about it (more research later), however the site should be treated with utmost respect nono.gif
PM               
oldraven 
Posted: 07-Apr-2008, 07:24 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Why in the name of time would they call it the Wiccan tunnel? Wicca didn't exist 100 years ago, let alone when SH was built.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 07-Apr-2008, 09:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

Why the censorship? Why does his limiited posting of the same thing cause such a vitriolic response? Surely his nonsense is no worse or better than some of the nonsense already posted? His links lead to valid newsworthy info and the ones that lead to his own site are easily spotted and can be avoided, if that is your desire. I have clicked all his links and find nothing to harm anyone or anything, just that his are nonsense and I thought they were creative and funny. Is the animosity due to the style of post, satirical or perhaps the guise of serious news or is it his lack of communication at a personal level? I think we are applying more importance to him than his postings command, or am I unaware of something more sinister going on??? unsure.gif

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 08-Apr-2008, 08:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 07-Apr-2008, 11:22 AM)
Why the censorship? Why does his limiited posting of the same thing cause such a vitriolic response? Surely his nonsense is no worse or better than some of the nonsense already posted? His links lead to valid newsworthy info and the ones that lead to his own site are easily spotted and can be avoided, if that is your desire. I have clicked all his links and find nothing to harm anyone or anything, just that his are nonsense and I thought they were creative and funny. Is the animosity due to the style of post, satirical or perhaps the guise of serious news or is it his lack of communication at a personal level? I think we are applying more importance to him than his postings command, or am I unaware of something more sinister going on??? unsure.gif

Fred,

It's more the fact that I have viewed these kinds of postings by Gary for many years on many other forums and it gets very old. It's annoying and it's not amusing. After the first one or two times of reading his postings on the internet, you realize that he is not stable and has no viable information to back up the garbage that he spews.

He either needs to be ignored or canned, is the best way to handle him.
PMEmail Poster               
ranger 
Posted: 08-Apr-2008, 08:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

I have to agree with A Shrule Egan. Like I said earlier, I know that he has been banned from at least one site. I think here also, it's the fact that you have a Celtic site, which is center-most in many of the posters lives, and he always seems to banter on about the same nonsense over and over. It's almost as if it gets to the point that he is making a mockery of the topic that he is posting about. Although I see your point, UlsterScotNutt, we have a lot of freedom when it comes to these forums...you can simply not click on anything he posts. It's actually easier than just walking away. But after so many instances of it....... rip.gif

--------------------
"...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

'The Lord of the Rings' - Book one
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 09-Apr-2008, 05:45 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

He's why we have rules against trolls. If he registered with the site, he has had to read the agreement, and is compelled to read the forum rules. He knows the consequences of trolling, and takes the risk all the same. So out with the trash, in my opinion.

http://www.celticradio.net/php/forums/inde...?showtopic=2623

7. Don't make claims or statements unless you are willing to back-up what you say. Again, respond to the content, not the person and don't make false or inaccurate statements!

PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 09-Apr-2008, 07:29 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

All though I am against censorship I am in agreement with the postings on this individual. There are rules for the governance of the Forum and if these rules are broken or circumvented appropriate action should and must be taken. Being relatively new to this site I did not realize that the individual concerned was and is notorious for this type of message.I would not presume to comment on his stability or lack of but suffice it to say I think he lives in his own Fantasy World.

Camac.

John Clements 
Posted: 09-Apr-2008, 07:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

This discussion as usual leads me to yet again another question.

Are not archaeologists, (or what ever they are called), nothing more then highly touted grave robbers, (who happened to keep good records), and who end up charging us to go see the relics they’ve dug up, in museums?

As apposed to grave robbers. Who sells the relics they find, (most likely to antiquity a dealers), who intern sells the relics to wealthy privet collector. Who then, most often donate their collections to the very same museums?

My guess is that it’s probably nothing more then a footing, buried under the Heelstone. Anyway, I think some mysteries are better off left alone. I mean, who doesn’t love a good mystery?

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 09-Apr-2008, 08:26 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

I have to disagree there. The goals of a grave robber are very different than those of an Anthropologist or Archaeologist. One is driven by greed, the other by the desire to understand our origins and share those discoveries with the world.
PMEmail Poster               
ctbard 
Posted: 09-Apr-2008, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

female

I think everyone is being to hard on him, I to believe he is spewing crap myself, but, he seems to have some serious mental "issues" going on.
I use to work for a visiting nurses agency and I had a patient who sounds an awful lot like our guy here, and he needed to be on med's. for that.

--------------------
The devil whispered behind the leaves, it's pretty but is it art?
Rudyard Kipling
Keltic 
Posted: 09-Apr-2008, 11:01 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

My original post was as a 'heads-up' on the rantings of Mr. Denke. It was aimed at the newer members who have not yet crossed the bridge that the troll lives under. Once people know of the rants, he tends to disappear for a while (we know you're lurking Garry). I don't agree with censorship, especially in an area of the forum where you are warned before entering..."Unmoderated forum. Enter at own risk!", unless used to quell major abuse or attacks. Garry will come and go. Ban him under one name, he'll show up under another.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
Keltic 
Posted: 09-Apr-2008, 11:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 09-Apr-2008, 10:26 AM)
I have to disagree there. The goals of a grave robber are very different than those of an Anthropologist or Archaeologist. One is driven by greed, the other by the desire to understand our origins and share those discoveries with the world.

Have to agree with OR's disagreement
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 09-Apr-2008, 02:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 09-Apr-2008, 09:26 AM)

Sorry guys but I still think that a comparison between a grave robber and an archaeologist’s can be made, because you can’t tell me that some archaeologist’s, (even though they keep really good records of their finds, so they can share them with the world), aren’t also looking for fame and fortune. I just can’t totally buy it, because archaeology is a cut throat business, just like grave robbing is.
Let me ask you this: Are they not desecrating graves, and turning tombs into tourist spots, and just how much did it cost you the last time you took your kids to a museum? I’d venture to say a lot. Ok, so maybe I’m getting a wee bit jaded in my old age, and they are different, but not by a lot, (at least in my opinion).
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 09-Apr-2008, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 09-Apr-2008, 06:45 AM)
He's why we have rules against trolls. If he registered with the site, he has had to read the agreement, and is compelled to read the forum rules. He knows the consequences of trolling, and takes the risk all the same. So out with the trash, in my opinion.

http://www.celticradio.net/php/forums/inde...?showtopic=2623

7. Don't make claims or statements unless you are willing to back-up what you say. Again, respond to the content, not the person and don't make false or inaccurate statements!

Well I don't think he is breaking any of rule 7.

His postings are obvious fake and are more satire(maybe thats not the word I am looking for) than anything else. He links to real news. His claims and statements fall more under mockumentary status than anything else.

If anything , people seem to respond to him personally and not his content.

I think the false and inaccurate statement part maybe the rule he is breaking, but the statements are so far from the believable and reality that it enters a different arena and I do not think the content of any of the postings are malicious or have caused to be spread, rumor, innuendo, deceit or any other negative intent.

I believe that the negative aspects of posting, like inciting to riot, namecalling, agitation, trolling or looking for trouble, would be the "troll" part.

But thats why there are monitors and watchdogs to care for the civility and integrity of forums and I will now stop any and all further comments on these postings, but I will be reading others' thoughts with interest.
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 09-Apr-2008, 03:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (John Clements @ 09-Apr-2008, 03:02 PM)
Sorry guys but I still think that a comparison between a grave robber and an archaeologist’s can be made, because you can’t tell me that some archaeologist’s, (even though they keep really good records of their finds, so they can share them with the world), aren’t also looking for fame and fortune. I just can’t totally buy it, because archaeology is a cut throat business, just like grave robbing is.
Let me ask you this: Are they not desecrating graves, and turning tombs into tourist spots, and just how much did it cost you the last time you took your kids to a museum? I’d venture to say a lot. Ok, so maybe I’m getting a wee bit jaded in my old age, and they are different, but not by a lot, (at least in my opinion).

Sorry, JC, can't back you on this one. ***
The search for and understanding of our past and the simple act of stealing come from 2 radically different places and mindsets. The overwhelming majority of academia in archaelogy and anthropology are mindful, respectful and understanding on were they tread.

I will grant that I do sometimes think that grave exploration and the removal of the body from its original site disturbs me at some level.

I am thankful for the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act.

Many museums around the world have started to return certain items to their countries of origins. Times and mentalities have changed on how we do things now. There is so much more that is thought through than just taking things for the sake of taking and displaying items publicly. Perhaps , and probable in many cases in the past archaelogy was more of a crash and grab science , but not so today.

I have pictures of my grandfather in the Atacama desert of Chile with bones all about him as he dug for items to send back to the States, Chicago Field Museum and the New Hampshire Museum of Natural History. This was in the late teens and 20's of the 1900's. Today he may very well be looked at as nothing better than a graverobber.

*** PS , no need to take one for me either buddy!!! laugh.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]