Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 05:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Hard to believe it's been three years isn't it? Three years since a day that started so heavenly ended in Hell's own inferno. Let us remember the day. Remember where we were. Remember how we felt. Remember those who lost their lives. Remember the day that, if only for a few short weeks, truely united at least this nation and perhaps the world.

I was working in Inventory control at a local manufacturing facility. Trying to talk casually with a co-worker when he told me I'd have to wait, something important was airing on his personal radio he was listening to. He said a plane had just hit one of the towers. A joke I thought, then I thought maybe a smaller craft had hit in error, causing quite a mess (like the Empire State bldg has had happen).
Then the other one hit, I had seen nothing yet, was only hearing. Surely I was being fibbed to. Are you *KIDDING*??????

Then I started hearing about the towers collapsing. Dear God this is real, is it? surely it's not a complete collapse. When I finally saw a TV an hour or so later, I couldn't believe it. It still seems surreal to me. A nightmare, a bad nightmare is all. I keep believing that any time I see a picture of the NC skyline, I'll still see the towers standing there. Even to this day, if I see a picture before 2001, I believe it might have been taken yesterday. If I see one post 9/11/2001, I still have to remind myself of what happened before I'm convinced it's real.

Two weeks later, I wrote my tribute to those events.
on 09/11/02, I built a webpage for it, and put it online.
I still do not link to it. It's in my book, the very last piece. I linked to the others I have online from the TOC on the book's page, I've not linked to that one. it's still online. At my site. There are no links to it. A black page, with a flag at the top. Every copy of that poem has "God Bless America" at the bottom of it, although it's not part of the poem. I don't think I ever will link to it. There should not be a link to it.

To prevent the message board from linking to it, I'll put the url on seperate lines here. Reassemble them with slashes between each line. case matters.
-----------------------------------------
An example to assist:
http://www.celticradio.net/php/index.php would become:

http://www.celticradio.net
php
index.php
-----------------------------------------
the poem:

http://www.aaediwen.com
september
september.html
----------------------------------------
I will probably edit this post in a couple of days and remove the URL completely.

Where were you on this day? And I am curious how this effected some of you outside of the US.

God Bless America!

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 06:37 AM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Where was I? well I was making an hour drive trip to Tucson and listening to my CDs. When the CD was done and I ejected it, the radio came on saying something about what a tragic day it was today in history. I was like what? why? What happened? so I continued to listen and found out the horrible news! I could not believe it and I remember feeling so scared! I got to Tucson and when I walked into the place where I had an appointment, everyone was talking about it and even had a television going to show the acts of crime against us. I was horrified and deep saddened for everything and everybody. I found out later that a friend of mine was in those towers making herself coffee when the plane hit her tower. She got out alive, but had to go through many months of therapy to get over this atrocity..............if you can ever get over something like this.

Thanks Aaediwen for starting this thread!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 06:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
224,281 Gold!

I was at work - busy on a Tuesday. People where running around talking about this building. I kinda was not paying attention. Then I brought up msnbc and saw big news flashes about the 2 planes, then a building collapsing.

My wife called and said 2 fighter jets flew over our town (We live 20 miles south of Boston so they were probably headed there). I think that is what I remember the most vividly. The fact that fighter jets were flying over our house was really freaky after the New York events!

I think that morning to afternoon was the strangest time I have lived in. A sense of fear in the air, uncertainty and anguish at the loss. We didn't know what was going to happen next. Were there more attacks coming, where was the President, what was going to happen next!

In the weeks that followed we played alot of special music on the broadcast, some music mixed with newsbytes and some patriotic music. We felt compelled to play Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg address. For some reason, the words and strength in his speech seemed to be addressing current day events. We received many emails over the next month about how Highlander Radio helped many people over a tough time. We also noted at one of the first memorial services a politician from NY (cant remember his name) restated the Gettysburg address.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
celtica 
Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 07:02 AM
Quote Post

Lady of the mists
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Brest - Brittany

female

I was at the office, as a personnal assistant of the French navy chief of staff. In the afternoon I got a call from a friend of mine who worked in the Ministry of Defense. He said "Switch the TV on, something awful is happening to the USA, just tell it to the Admiral". So I did. The Admiral had a TV in his office, so the two of us were sitting in front of it, hardly believing what we were seeing. An hour of horror later I almost felt sick. I had to stop watching it. We had French-UK staff talks this day and we stopped it of course. The French-US staff talks should have been the next week...I had to prepare a letter of support instead, not easy to be supportive when your heart is bleeding.
This day we were all americans.

--------------------
Que restera-t-il de notre sang mêlé au sel, sans trace dans les mémoires ? Une ultime navigation, trompeuse. Et des souvenirs, illuminés d'embruns. Mais condamnés au silence de la mer... Loïc Finaz.
user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
dfilpus 
Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 07:48 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

I was at work, scanning Usenet while compiling programs. Posts started showing up in all sorts of newsgroups about what was happening. There were all sorts of stories flying around on the web. cnn.com went down, so it was hard to get real information. Once the first tower collapsed, it was obvious someting big was going on. At about 10:00, my work group decided to go to a local bar for lunch. We ate lunch directly in front of a large screen TV and watched the coverage for a hour. After lunch, we all wen home.

My boss was in Europe. She ran in a road race in the wine country of France and was visiting family in Switzerland. It took her a couple of weeks to get back to the United States. When she got back, she was told that her department was being dissolved. Half were being laid off or retired. The rest were being reassigned. I took early retirement. Late 2001 was not a good time to look for work.

--------------------
Näkemiin

Dave (SCA: Geoffrey Genour of Carney)
Protector of Bits and Bytes, Third cousin once removed to Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light

user posted image

Help out with the site! Win prizes!
Suggest videos at VideoCelt.com

Check out the outstanding video - Merchant Marine by Celtae
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 07:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

I had just dropped off my younger son at pre-school. As I was driving to my mother-in-law's house, I heard it on the radio. At first, I thought the DJ was playing a sick joke. When I got to her house, she was busy cleaning out the garage. I told her what happened and she was like "oh well" and kept cleaning. I went inside and turned on the TV and saw smoke billowing out of one tower. As I was watching, another plane came in and hit the other tower. I thought, "this can't be happening". Then all the rumors started flying and they announced that the Pentagon got hit. That brought it home to me. I knew people that worked at the Pentagon. I work with some of them on the phone nearly every day. I thought, "Jeez, I need to get to work" (I work on the DoD network). I went and got both of my kids out of school, dropped them off with my mother-in-law (who was still cleaning her garage), and started heading down towards DC. There were rumors that the beltway was closed, so I took back roads in. It was strange to see that everyone was trying to get out of the DC area, and I was the only idiot trying to get in. When I got to work, they had the TV on, and it kept replaying the towers collapsing, and was also showing the Pentagon on fire. Of course, with our luck, the plane took out one of the communications facilities at the Pentagon, so we had A LOT of lines down to them. Some of our communications on the network was also using the antenna that was on top of the WTC tower. When the building collapsed, so did our circuits. It took Verizon over a month to get all the traffic re-routed, because one of their main facilities in NYC was buried up to the 4th floor in trade center rubble.

It turns out that a friend of mine who works at the Pentagon, happened to be at a meeting in Baltimore at the time. His office was in the outer ring of the side of the Pentagon that got hit. Every one of his co-workers died that day. He still struggles with survivor's guilt today, because he wasn't supposed to be at that meeting. Another co-worker was supposed to go, but the plan got changed the last minute the night before.

--------------------

user posted image
roll1959 
Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 09:19 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Wyoming, Michigan, U.S.A.

male

I was getting ready to walk my dog when I turned on Fox News. They told of a Jetliner flew into the World Trade Center. They couldn?t understand because it was a clear morning. Then as the screen was centered on the site, another plane flew into the frame. First I thought they were checking the damage, but then it flew into the second tower, and I knew our Country was being attacked.
Later, my wife and I were visiting my mother in Grand Rapids. I realized how quiet it was. Then I realized it was because there were no Jets in or out of the airport, which is 3 miles from where we were.

--------------------
"Esse quam videri."
To be, rather than to seem.
Shadows 
Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 09:23 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

I was watching CCN Headline News. I was home because I had just been let go from my job 5 days earlier (thank you GWB)

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
MacErca 
Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 09:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Houston, Texas

male

Where we were, we were in Scotland had just spent our first night there and had gone to St. Andrews that morning, then drove up thru the Glen Shee ski resort area and had stopped for some coffee or tea at the lodge we were looking at the bric-bracs and we were talking to the manager about where we were from, then a couple on holiday from London, came over and said how sorry they were that the "Tower" had fallen we had no clue as to what they were talking about, then they explained, our minds went blank, we couldnt imagine the mindset of the people that would do this sort of thing, as we journeyed on to our next location we were to go to Balmoral Castle but when we got there the Royal Standard was flying there, meaning that the Queen was there, and there was armed troops at the gate, and would not let us in, we then went to Braemar and our Hostess let us watch the events on her tellie, I still remember sitting there with my wife, and her and her husband, and all four of us was sitting there weeping, they allowed us to use there phone to call our family but the lines were down, so we tried to send an email, still couldnt get through, she then said that she would keep sending that email till it got through.

Every where we went we were treated like family people coming up to us and relaying their sympathy, then on friday while we were driving on one of the highways all the traffic came to a stop and people were getting out of their vehicles and bowing their heads in prayer and a moment of silence.

Yes I still remember the day that our world was forever changed, and I will not forget.... ever.

--------------------
"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
Remember the men from whom you are descended.

I am Wolf.
It is my cry you hear in the night,
My eyes that gaze at you from the shadows.
It is my heart that beats in your Soul,
My strength that makes you whole.
I am Wolf. I am in you.
You are in Me. We Are Wolf.
MDF3530 
  Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 09:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I was in the bathroom. I had the radio on the local news station, and I had just gotten out of the shower and was drying myself off when they broke in with a story that a plane had struck one of the World Trade Center towers. At first, I thought it was a small plane, like a Cessna or Gulfstream, and maybe the pilot had had a heart attack.

Pope John Paul II said it the best when he called it "a dark day in our history".

I was worried about my cousin Pete. He lives in New York and works for an ad agency. I didn't know if his agency had an office in the World Trade Center or not. It turned out they did, but he worked in their office on Madison Avenue.

This post has been edited by MDF3530 on 11-Sep-2004, 10:08 AM

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 09:59 AM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

I was working on the Public address system at a brand new Northern Tool and Supply store in N. Fort Myers Fl. The store had not yet been opened for business and the employees had a portable tv set up in their breakroom. When the first plane hit we all assumed it was a terrible accident and I went back to what I was doing. When the plane hit the second tower everyone working in that building knew something was dreadfully wrong and our life as we knew it would never be the same.

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

I was in school. It must have happened just as my second hour was letting out. I left the art room not knowing the terrible news since we never watch TV during art class. The halls were almost empty, which was weird for a school of 1,400 students. As I entered the music room I knew something was different. The lights were turned off and there was a dark silence. Everyone was sitting on the floor looking up at the television. After I had seen it for myself I felt, all I can say is, different. It was unbelievable. The classrooms, hallways, and even the cafeteria were all unusually silent the rest of the day.

--------------------
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you judge people you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa

Help Out

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Infamous 
Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 01:00 PM
Quote Post

Peasant
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Herald Harbor, MD

male

Where was I?

I was at the airport boarding a plane- in PHL (Philadelphia). Someone said to me 'You better watch the monitor...'. As I watched, the second plane hit. A fellow who use to work for me was in an office just beyond the debris point at NYU Stern School. We also had folks in the building. Fortunately, all were OK. However, the firm they were going to visit no longer exists, including all 60 of its employees. All became dust as the result of terrorism.

Not long after that, I was at the Celtic College on Cape Breton, NS. The opinions of our response to these attacks ranged from 'go for it' to 'forgive and forget'. There were protests in Halifax at the time against our response.

I travel to NYC often, and still do a lot of business there. When I look down the island and see the void left (usually once every 2 weeks), it makes me proud to be an American who can reach back into his roots as an Irish warrior, and know that I defended the actions of our country, support those who are defeinding it and continue to do so, against those who would want to destroy our way of life, or do not have the courage to stand up and be counted in the defense of our way of life.

Remember, there would be no Celtic Music without the United States- at least in the volume and flavor we currently enjoy.

May we always remember today, may we support our troops who defend us, and may we all stand shoulder to shoulder to protect those freedoms won long ago and enjoyed today.

Tom
(Infamous)
PMEmail Poster                
Annabelle 
Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 02:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

On 9/11 that year I was in the Dr's office for a Insurance physical. Someone said there had been a plane crash but no one said anymore about it. Dr came in and pulled my blood and left me sitting there.

After leaving his office I went back to my office and started looking over blueprints of a project I had going then. One of the girls here stopped by my office to give me some blueprints to put bids in on and said isn't that plane crash the most horrible thing? I responded with it's still the safest way to travel. She looked at me with this puzzeled facial expression and said do you know what's happened? I told her I heard there had been a plane accident. She went and turned on the tv in our waiting area and I sat down and watched the horror to unfold before my eyes.

The rest of my day was a blur. I remember being very quiet for the rest of the day until I went home at which I sat down and had a good cry. For the rest of that week I felt angry. Angry that someone would dare to come into our country and kill people who were not military personnel but everyday folk. How could someone hate us so much to hurt people who are innocents.

I know for months as I viewed the telecasts and there would be children with automatic weapons protesting America I thought, these children hate us and they really don't know why. How could people be so heartless to inflict this type of pain on others. I still wonder sometimes. I find when I travel here in America and abroad that when I see someone of Arabic descent I feel like getting off the plane. It makes me uncomfortable and on the defensive.

Once someone asked me what I would have done if I'd have been in those people's position that knew they were going down with the plane that managed to get out calls to their loved ones before the crash. I told them and I still feel that if I'm ever on a plane that is taken over by anyone, I'd be one of the people charging them. I know in my heart I could not sit there and do nothing. You and I are going to die sometime. It's how you die that is the most important thing.

The people who died in those 3 planes were true patriots! I will always continue to feel for them and their families and what they gave up that day as I will always remember the Vietnam veteran's who also gave more of themselves then people back in the 70's gave them credit.

Those of us who are here today will always owe to those who gave of themselves yesterday!

God Bless America

A

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 02:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

I was driving home from work. When I got home my elder son told me that a plane had crushed the WTC. I was going to get mad about him and telling him that he should not even think of joking around with those things when he pointed on the TV screen. The second plane crushed in the tower.
I was so shocked and I simply refused to believe what my eyes saw.
Then I began to understand and my brain began to work again. I was horrified , saddened and felt hit to the bones.
This disgusting act opened a completely new level of terrorism.
It was not only America...it was the whole free world which was attacked and concerned. We really shared horror, grief and tears. And we'll never forget.
As celtica said before: This day we all were Americans and we all wrote it in our condolences:
God bless America!

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]