Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Celtic Cross, Your Opinion Please!
Ríobhca31 
Posted: 15-Mar-2005, 01:40 PM
Quote Post

Princess of Báisteach
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Wisconsin (Transplant, From Texas)

female

You are very welcome Wizard, it looks nice and long!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Go mbeannaí Dia duit !
PMEmail Poster                
Shadows 
Posted: 15-Mar-2005, 01:45 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

The Egyptian "ank" ( not sure that is spelled right ) was a cross with a circle ( more an oval ) on top and signified eternal life, the cross is not new to religions. As for the swastika it was originally a native american symbol for life, the bent cross it became during Hitler's reign!

Symbolism and charms have been at man's beck and call since the begining of time, it (as I have said before ) is all dependant on who is in control at the time. I do not wish to demean anyones faith or beliefs, just use the god given brain you have to see what is real.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 15-Mar-2005, 02:05 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (IrishBecca30 @ 15-Mar-2005, 02:40 PM)
You are very welcome Wizard, it looks nice and long!! biggrin.gif

Thanks Irishbecca! I will have to print it out and read it too when I have more time.

BTW, I LOVE your new avatar!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Ríobhca31 
Posted: 15-Mar-2005, 02:38 PM
Quote Post

Princess of Báisteach
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 15-Mar-2005, 02:05 PM)
Thanks Irishbecca! I will have to print it out and read it too when I have more time.

Thank you CelticRose! This avatar is a little more uplifting, or so I thought. i'm glad you like it!
clap.gif
PMEmail Poster                
CelticRoz 
Posted: 15-Mar-2005, 02:51 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Shadows @ 15-Mar-2005, 02:45 PM)
The Egyptian "ank" ( not sure that is spelled right ) was a cross with a circle ( more an oval ) on top and signified eternal life, the cross is not new to religions. As for the swastika it was originally a native american symbol for life, the bent cross it became during Hitler's reign!

Symbolism and charms have been at man's beck and call since the begining of time, it (as I have said before ) is all dependant on who is in control at the time. I do not wish to demean anyones faith or beliefs, just use the god given brain you have to see what is real.

Now, I used to wear the Egyptian ank (I think that is how it is spelled) a long time ago. I was just so fascinated by Egyptology and read anything I could on it and even went to the King Tut exhibition in Los Angeles many moons ago. I think its sympbolism is eternal life, if I am not mistaken.

Did not know the origins of the swastika though, Shadows. Thanks! And, yes from what I am read symbols and charms have been around since the beginning of time. Interesting, eh?

CelticRoz 
Posted: 15-Mar-2005, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (IrishBecca30 @ 15-Mar-2005, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (CelticRose @ 15-Mar-2005, 02:05 PM)
Thanks Irishbecca!  I will have to print it out and read it too when I have more time. 

Thank you CelticRose! This avatar is a little more uplifting, or so I thought. i'm glad you like it!
clap.gif

Yes! Irishbecca! I said something to you about it in the avatar thread, I liked it so much. Really beautiful and very uplifting and very Irish too! wink.gif
Shadows 
Posted: 15-Mar-2005, 04:30 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

It is more then interesting it is insightfull!
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Ríobhca31 
Posted: 16-Mar-2005, 11:45 AM
Quote Post

Princess of Báisteach
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

female

CelticRose, I feel like it's Deja vu when i'm in these forums!

It's fun though.
PMEmail Poster                
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 16-Mar-2005, 04:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

I've been continuing to study this topic, it's not a trivial subject since it goes to the heart of keeping Christian doctrine pure and not mixed with paganism.

Not to bore you all with pages of references, let me just conclude that while I have been hard-line against crosses for 30 years, I am now satisfied that neither the cross symbol or the celtic cross is anything but a Christian symbol.
There is no real evidence that I have found that it was borrowed from the heathen or any other culture or religion.

It's worth remembering that God, through His forknowledge determined that His Son should die for the sins of man on a cross long before the man was even created.
In that sense..nothing predates Christianity (or the worship of the God of the Bible to be more correct).

For those interested in further study, read The Babylon Correction by Ralph Woodrow www.ralphwoodrow.org

--------------------
CelticRoz 
Posted: 16-Mar-2005, 05:23 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey Graham! How ya doing? I hear what you are saying, but it was St Patrick that supposedly drew the symbol of the cross through the sun god symbol that the ancient Celts worshiped, was it not? That's what makes it a Celtic cross, different from other crosses. It is still a Christian cross in my opinion, but a Celtic cross. I hope I am making sense. unsure.gif
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 30-Mar-2005, 10:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Tassiecelt @ 16-Mar-2005, 05:24 PM)
It's worth remembering that God, through His forknowledge determined that His Son should die for the sins of man on a cross long before the man was even created.
In that sense..nothing predates Christianity (or the worship of the God of the Bible to be more correct)...

Hi!

I remember when it first dawned on me that in Genesis, God says man will be created 'in our image'... Christ was there at the beginning. Awesome!

SB

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
Nova Scotian 
  Posted: 08-Jun-2005, 06:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

At one time I think part of it was a pagan symbol but when Christianity reached Britian and Ireland the bottom part was extended to resemble more of a cross so the inhabitants could be taught Christianity easier.

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 13-Jun-2005, 08:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

well as a personal addition to this discussion, God Willing, next month I plan to be travelling around Scotland with my wife, a highlight will be a visit to Iona and I plan to buy a celtic cross there (small and silver). It would be special to have such a thing from such a place which has been the very centre, if not cradle, of celtic christianity.

very excited, that's what i am. biggrin.gif
reddrake79 
Posted: 13-Jun-2005, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacRowan

Realm: oregon

male

I think the main point here is that there are a couple of differing opinions on the origin of the celtic cross. The only research I have done is reading this thread. I think it was clearly shown that the cross itself is a wholy christian symbol. Now the original explanation givin with the piece of jewelry about the the four corners and their meaning could very well have been the original meaning behind the divided circle of the celts, however is that what a celtic cross repressents anymore? Judging from the majority of posts no one here actually associates the celtic cross with pagan beliefs. tha average person will see a christian cross that carries with it the artistic flair from a specific culture. i believe this falls into one of the warning given by Paul, I think - I cant remember the exact reference. We tells people that there is no problem eating food sacrificed to idols, its just meat. However, if you can't eat in good conscience then don't eat it. If you know someone else cant eat in good conscience then don't tell them where you got the meat. Let them enjoy the meat. Unfortunatly the explanation from the Jewelry maker has affected your conscience.
The way I look at it, and no offense to the jewelry maker, but he might not neccessarily be christian or he is trying to cover his bases and turn a larger profit. If the symbol works only for Christians he is only attracting a portion of the market. If he inlcudes pagan symbolism then he appeals to a larger audience. He probably hasn't studied symbolism or how the cross has been viewed, he is just interested in getting a larger profit. More than likly he included the pagan part not neccessarily because its true but because it sound good.

no matter the why's of the explanation you will have to reconcile it with your own conscience ( i realize that is what you are trying to do) But what works for my conscience might not neccasarily convince yours.

any rate thats my 2 cents

--------------------
Friendship, Love, and Loyalty
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 13-Jun-2005, 02:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Tassiecelt @ 13-Jun-2005, 10:58 AM)
well as a personal addition to this discussion, God Willing, next month I plan to be travelling around Scotland with my wife, a highlight will be a visit to Iona and I plan to buy a celtic cross there (small and silver). It would be special to have such a thing from such a place which has been the very centre, if not cradle, of celtic christianity.

very excited, that's what i am. biggrin.gif

Oh wow, are you really?? That is wonderful! clap.gif
Summertime should be a wonderful time to visit; I was in England in late June a few years ago and it was so pleasant weather-wise.

I totally agree, a cross from Iona would be a treasure. I always wear a celtic-style silver bracelet I purchased in Kinsale! And I often wear a celtic cross inlaid with Connemara marble that is from Dublin.

Have fun on your trip,
and say hello to a haggis for me -

SB laugh.gif
PM               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]