TandVh 
Posted: 28-Jul-2007, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The countryside around Exeter, California

male

I was wondering what the pro's and con's of purchasing music off the internet might be and what our knowledgeable group here has experienced as far as buying music online?
I have been wanting to get the Albannach CD's as the online radio on thier site has some really nice samples of their songs. I deliberated about it for awhile- tried searching Amazon to no avail and then realized I could order from their site and pay via paypal. I also noticed on their site that I could purchase the cd as a digital download for $5 less than the actual CD.
(they also have a cd only option and a cd and download combo.)
Well, I got to thinking- if I buy the CD, I will end up having to rip it to my computer and convert to MP3 in order to put the music on my mp3 player. Why not buy the digital download and already have it avialable as MP3's?
I bought the download version and was quite happy with it. Happy enough to go back and buy their second cd as a download as well. I got them for $5 less than the cd price, didn't have to wait for delivery, and they're in mp3 format already.
Anybody else have an opinion about this? I know I miss the artwork on the CD's, but, I can live with that.

--------------------
TandVh
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
haynes9 
Posted: 28-Jul-2007, 08:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

I have used Emusic. They have a pretty good selection of Celtic music. Let me know if you want me to send you a link to them. I can earn some free music biggrin.gif ! I pay $9.99 a month for 30 songs to download. You can certainly subscribe at a higher rate and get more, but that works for me. It lets me have time to enjoy the music before I have to choose more selections. One thing I don't like is that if I don't choose my allotment of 30 songs in a month, it does not "roll over' into the next month. Minor issue, but an issue nonetheless.

I do miss the art work. I wish there was a way around that. If there was a way to download it, I would. Some of the music that I like is sung in Gaelic, so without the liner notes, I don't get the translations. Oh well . . .

Hope this helps! I know that Itunes also has some Celtic music.

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
mingkee 
Posted: 28-Jul-2007, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

An Asian Celt from Hong Kong
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Brooklyn, NY

male

QUOTE (TandVh @ 28-Jul-2007, 05:54 PM)
I was wondering what the pro's and con's of purchasing music off the internet might be and what our knowledgeable group here has experienced as far as buying music online?
I have been wanting to get the Albannach CD's as the online radio on thier site has some really nice samples of their songs. I deliberated about it for awhile- tried searching Amazon to no avail and then realized I could order from their site and pay via paypal. I also noticed on their site that I could purchase the cd as a digital download for $5 less than the actual CD.
(they also have a cd only option and a cd and download combo.)
Well, I got to thinking- if I buy the CD, I will end up having to rip it to my computer and convert to MP3 in order to put the music on my mp3 player. Why not buy the digital download and already have it avialable as MP3's?
I bought the download version and was quite happy with it. Happy enough to go back and buy their second cd as a download as well. I got them for $5 less than the cd price, didn't have to wait for delivery, and they're in mp3 format already.
Anybody else have an opinion about this? I know I miss the artwork on the CD's, but, I can live with that.

I am kinda traditional/old school
I always prefer CD format, and rip to ogg vorbis format (better fidelity) or mp3 VBR
you'll have total control of ripping quality
I still don't trust buy music file
with CD, you can store the tracks to as many player/computer as you want, no worrying of losing

--------------------
a Chinese Celt from Hong Kong
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 29-Jul-2007, 10:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

I agree with Mingkee. But I guess it's a matter of personal prefrence in the end. I consider myself missing something if I don't have the liner notes to go along with a CD. One of the first things I do when I get a CD, is rip it and index it in to my mp3 library at my own specifications. Indeed, the hardest part is waiting for the delivery. Also, I liked how mp3.com used to work, you could download the samplers there and listen to that while the CD arrived, and it had full mp3s of the music on the CD alongside the audio tracks. It's such a pity that they went under.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 29-Jul-2007, 10:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

I prefer to buy the CD than convert it to whatever format I need The orginial Cd then goes on the shelf and is only use for making copies. With a bit of work I can scan the artwork and inside goodies such as lyrics and use the copied CD in my car, boombox, mp3 player etc. With the way my kids throw our CDs around I would be spending money on a new $20 CD everytime they scratched one beyond repair. This way saves me alot of money.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
Albannach 
Posted: 14-Aug-2007, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Glasgow, Scotland

Hey Guys,

Some interesting comments here...

RE: Artwork, our online store is offline at the moment, I'll take this opportunity to update the downloads to include a copy of the album artwork.

In the meantime, if any of you require artwork for our albums, just email us: [email protected] and we can send it on.

Cheers,
Chris @ Albannach. walkman.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 14-Aug-2007, 07:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Indiana

female

QUOTE (Robert Phoenix @ 29-Jul-2007, 11:33 AM)
I prefer to buy the CD than convert it to whatever format I need The orginial Cd then goes on the shelf and is only use for making copies. With a bit of work I can scan the artwork and inside goodies such as lyrics and use the copied CD in my car, boombox, mp3 player etc. With the way my kids throw our CDs around I would be spending money on a new $20 CD everytime they scratched one beyond repair. This way saves me alot of money.

I do the same thing. My kids are always destroying them or scratching them beyond playing. I always burn it an put it up.
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
valpal59 
Posted: 14-Aug-2007, 09:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

QUOTE (Lady of the Loch @ 14-Aug-2007, 07:54 AM)
I do the same thing. My kids are always destroying them or scratching them beyond playing. I always burn it an put it up.

I do this also. I don't have kids to mess them up, but hubby does a good job. I make 2 copies. One for the car and one for the bar.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Maxie 
Posted: 30-Aug-2007, 03:24 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAlder

Realm: UK

female

hi everyone I haven't been around for a while due to studio commitments but I have just noticed this post. Thought I'd just tell you that our own music (Serundal) and many other artists are now selling full albums as downloads plus graphics on www.cdbaby.com. Serundal now has six albums plus an E.P. Lady of the Isles from our album Waiting Rooms is currently number one in the Folk Top Hits radio charts on www.songvault.fm and is very popular with people who like medieval english music. Our albums are also for sale this way on www.payplay.fm. If you are interested in medieval england, scottish and irish roots, mythology and legend, the supernatural or other unusual celtic themes come visit www.serundal.com or www.myspace.com/serundalmusic. The more friends the merrier! Everyone is welcome. Celtic is cool!
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]