Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

QUOTE (ANNHAM @ 08-Sep-2004, 06:00 PM)

Hi Celticrose,
I went to the bookstore this weekend and got Bury my Heart... I agree it is very good so far, and no gorey details wink.gif Do you know anything about the author, Dee Brown?
Thanks,
Anne

Hi Anne! good for you! I think you will really like the book a lot. It is one of the few accurate historical books on the Native Americans you will find. So many try to romantize everything or try to make everything so over the top in the gory part.

no, sadly, I don't know anything about the author, Dee Brown. If you find out anything let me know. smile.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Annham 
Posted: 09-Sep-2004, 05:09 PM
Quote Post

Seeker of Harmony
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

female

Yes, One thing I really like is that she/he has quoted lots of original documentation of what happened from the indians' viewpoints.
BTW..
One of my auntsis an artist too.. she does watercolor and oil... landscapes and portraits.. smile.gif
Anne

--------------------
“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”

~ Dalai Lama
21st century spiritual and political leader of Tibet and Nobel Peace Prize winner (1989)
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 09-Sep-2004, 07:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (ANNHAM @ 09-Sep-2004, 05:09 PM)
Yes, One thing I really like is that she/he has quoted lots of original documentation of what happened from the indians' viewpoints.

Yes, Anne! That is the very thing I love about that book too! I thought you would like it.........glad you are enjoying it! I need to buy me a new copy. Mine is old and needs updated! biggrin.gif
cori 
Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 10:43 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of the North Winds
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: New Jersey

female

Okay, I know I am coming in a little late, but I am just dying to tell you all about these history books written in the 1800's. They are all about English history except one or two set in Ancient civilizations but they are all completely gripping and historically accurate. The author is G.A. Henty. You can go to this site to find them. They are rather expensive, but they are beautiful copies.

http://visionforum.com/search/productlist....px?search=henty

They are the coolest books ever and all ages can read them. I have friends who are twenty, eight, forty-two and sixteen who all love them and borrow back and forth.

--------------------

Leslie

~That would be an awfully big adventure.

~Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
PMEmail Poster                
DesertRose 
Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Wow! Cori! Thank you so much! thumbs_up.gif
greenldydragon 
Posted: 12-Sep-2004, 12:11 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

Those look great! Thanks Cori!

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
freekenny 
Posted: 11-Oct-2004, 09:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

QUOTE (MacAibhistin @ 06-Sep-2004, 07:48 PM)
It is good to see so many interested in the history of North American Native people. They are a forgotten people in our popular culture. I think if we were to look closely, there are a lot of similarities between early celtic culture and the culture of pre-contact Natives.

O'siyo MacAibhistin,
~Indeed it is always fantastic to see people broaden their minds with knowledge of various cultures~ biggrin.gif I have learned a great deal while here on CelticRadio about the culture of the Celts, Irish and Scottish..tis why I enjoy sharing my culture so much wink.gif
~Forgotten people? dry.gif nah, we just decided to sit back and watch blink.gif A O'ginalli of mine from Edinburgh, Scotland has told me on more than one occassion that his culture and my culture are very similiar~ tongue.gif I tend to agree!~
~~Sty-U red_bandana.gif

--------------------
I always knew one day I would travel this road;I just did not know that today would be the day....

'Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows' --Sitting Bull

'Why do you take by force what you could obtain by love?'
--Powhatan

'HeartAches mend, HeartBreaks are everlasting'-- my own quote, seeker
PMEmail Poster               
fast_talker70 
Posted: 15-Oct-2004, 08:48 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacOak

male

I have a large Civil War library and am allways adding to it, but I do love biography of any of our early presidents. Have you read Fawn Brodies' "Thomas Jefferson"? It is an intimate look at one our countries most able statesman. Anything by Bruce Catton on the civil war is Very Good. His last book, "waiting for the morning train " is excellent and talks a great deal of my home state of Michigan. I LOVE history and have been enjoying everyones posts on the celtic tribes and their origins. Thanks to all for the most interesting FREE reading on the net!!!
PMEmail Poster               
cori 
Posted: 16-Oct-2004, 08:00 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of the North Winds
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: New Jersey

female

Welcome fasttalker. biggrin.gif You could be here reading forever even if that's all you do. I find that celts do like to talk and talk often. gossip.gif So just jump in whenever.
PMEmail Poster                
Boadiccea 
Posted: 25-Jan-2006, 10:12 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacElder

Realm: Asheville, NC

female

The Tudor period. I love reading about Henry VIII, Anne Bolyn, Mary Queen of Scots ect.

--------------------
~Slainte Mhath~
PMEmail Poster                
Dogshirt 
  Posted: 25-Jan-2006, 11:57 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Northern Plains
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

I have SHELVES of books on the Northern Plains people (The Blackfoot, Gros Ventre, Assiniboine, Sarsi, Lakota etc) If you let me know what you are interested in I can recomend some good ACCURATE reading. I also highly recomend a magazine called Whispering Wind! It comes out every 2 months and has craft, culture and customs articles. Much of it is Southern Plains ( Kiowa, Comanche, Cheyenne etc) but it DOES have stuff from ALL the cultural areas. Check it out at;

www.whisperingwind.com

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 30-Jan-2006, 08:18 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey Dogshirt! You bring back much memories to me. I never did subscribe to the Whispering Wind magazine, but I always made an attempt to look it over every month through one of my Native American friends when I was on the powwow circuit. It really is a great and must read for anyone interested in the Native American culture and current events. thumbs_up.gif Thanks for reminding me!

I have tons of books on the southwestern natives. I don't pretend to be an expert in any field, but that is one area of Native American anthropology and society I have tried to study.

Now I am working on Revolutionary, French & Indian and Jacobite 45 period of study. I think I need more bookshelves! unsure.gif
Sėmeag 
  Posted: 03-Mar-2009, 04:07 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Sassan

female

"Britain BC" by Francis Pryor; and
"Britain AD" by Francis Pryor,

are both good introductions.

--------------------
Tha mi'n dochas gu bheil an eadar theangachadh ceart!
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 03-Mar-2009, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Simeag;

I love all History but at the top of the list is Ancient Greek History, followed by the History of the Great War (WWI) especially the Canadian involvement. If I may say in my opinion the Yanks didn't win that war neither did the Brits. Its was the Canadians and the Anzacs. Kicked the Germans butt we did.

Camac.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
Š2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics Š2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt