DesertRose 
Posted: 10-Feb-2007, 03:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Well here I am again. I have two older Shelties, one 9 and the other going to be 12 in June.

I noticed that Nikki (who is 11) has an obsession for cold water and drinks it a lot. so I sent him to the vet for blood and urine tests. His blood work revealed elevated pancreated enzymes. The urine revealed some protein in his urine. The vet wants to re-do these tests in two months. some are appalled by the fact of two months, but apparently the test results are not high enough to warrant sooner than that.

Now I am truly worried about food and if what I am feeding my dogs could be causing illness. I spoke to some dog people and they said that Pedigree and IAMs had carcinogens in the food and that I needed to stop feeding them the both brands! Sheesh!

Someone mentioned "hot gut" disease due to Nikki needing cold water all the time. Goodness!

I have not switched to Science Diet..........yet. But suppose I should do so? any comments or suggestions?

many thanks!

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 13-Feb-2007, 10:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Phenix City, AL - back in the good ole USA

female

I feed Nutro mostly - but also some Science Diet. I have only the best experience with it. I used to feed my Great Dane in Germany Royal Canin. This has come out here at PetSmart a while back. Can also recommand it. Royal Canin is also more breed specific. Check their website out if you want. They also have a wide variety of vet prescribed food.

www.royalcanin.us

Hope it helps out some!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Swanny 
Posted: 13-Feb-2007, 11:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

I agree that Pedigree and IAMS suck. Any dogfood available in grocery stores is generally of only fair to poor quality stuff. I certainly wouldn't feed it to my dogs.

I'm feeding my working dogs Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice, supplemented with raw beef, probiotics and salmon oil. The reason for the beef is because the Lamb and Rice kibble is a bit light on protein for working dogs, but it should be just about right for your older pet dogs. The probiotics I add are lactobacillus acidophilus. The salmon oil (1 tablespoon per dog per feeding) provides dietary fat and is very high in Omega-3 fatty acids which are very important for cardiovascular health in dogs subject to stress.

When looking at kibble, I try to avoid any kibble that contains corn or corn products. There is some fairly convincing evidence that in canines corn and wheat inhibit the normal production of serotonin, which can contribute significantly to fearful and/or aggressive behaviors.

In the past I've fed Hill's Science Diet and my dogs did well on it.

A relatively new kibble that has been getting some great reviews among animal care professionals is Innova EVO. With a protein level of 42%, it may be a bit too "hot" for your geriatric pet dogs.

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 14-Feb-2007, 08:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks so much, Monarch and Swanny. Had to go to vet today and get Nikki's thyroid medication and so I got copies of his blood and urine work for me to have on hand. The lab suggests Nikki be tested in 2-4 weeks, but my vet says in 2 months! So now I am not sure what to do. I am considering talking to my vet and having the urine test done again as the lab suggested.

I do know after hearing from you both I am going to change their food. That means driving an hour to get it but it will be worth it cause I want my dogs to be healthy. Either that I will change them to Hill's Science Diet. I can get that down the street from me. I have heard that corn in dog food is not good.

Now where do I get this salmon oil? Am very interested in giving them that as well.

Many thanks!
Swanny 
Posted: 14-Feb-2007, 10:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Rose, I get my salmon oil locally, but there is a product on the market I think called "Grizzly Salmon Oil" that you order on-line, so it would be delivered right to your door.

Since you have to go such a distance to buy dog food, you might want to ask if you can buy it by the pallet at a discount. That's a whole lot of kibble at once, but it lasts a good long time in good storage conditions.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 14-Feb-2007, 11:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

many thanks, Swanny! Will check into this salmon oil. I wonder if my local herb store would have it and can help me with the dosage? Just a thought. Thanks!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt