Posted: 27-Jan-2006, 10:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

male

While doing some research, I came across a thought-provoking letter:
What Defines The Term 'Celtic'.
One of the main points coming out of modern genetic projects is that the majority of those living in some of the modern "Celtic Nations" (particularly the insular peoples) are not genetically Celts, rather they are the descendants of the stone age people who populated Erin and Great Britain immediately after the last Ice Age, and at some subsequent adopted Celtic language and culture.
I tend to describe myself as having Celtic ancestors, but do not generally identify myself as a Celt, largely because I live in the USA, which while heavily influenced by Celtic traditions brought to this country by immigrants from Celtic countries, particularly those of Ulster Scot descent, cannot truly be called a Celtic country.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
Boadiccea 
Posted: 27-Jan-2006, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Asheville, NC

female

I have celtic ancestors, I live in the US, I am of Ulster Scot descent and I still consider myself a celt. A celtic person is not just genetics, it's a deep calling from your heart and soul.

--------------------
~Slainte Mhath~
PMEmail Poster                
oldraven 
Posted: 26-Mar-2007, 06:51 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

I subscribe to the theory of Celtic Languages, as the cultures were quite varied, and the tribal leaders never really had a unified sense of Celt, or Gaul. They often fought with their mutual enemies against one another because only those outside the Celtic regions (Romans, Greeks, Germanics) saw them as one people, or at least a related people.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
rpeirson 
Posted: 28-Feb-2008, 03:01 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacIvy

male

I too live in the USA but the celtic blood flows in my veins just as if i was born in scotland. I was rasied on the music and dance. Learned to play the bag pipes. Its not where you live but where your heart is at.

--------------------
Lord Robert John
PMEmail Poster               
scotborn 
Posted: 01-Mar-2008, 01:49 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (rpeirson @ 28-Feb-2008, 04:01 PM)
I too live in the USA but the celtic blood flows in my veins just as if i was born in scotland. I was rasied on the music and dance. Learned to play the bag pipes. Its not where you live but where your heart is at.

I have to disagree, I am scottish born and bred and I certainly do nt consider myself celtic. The fact is that the celts are not a racial group, it is a cultural and linguistic group. I really do not think that playing fiddle music/bagpipes and drinking guinness constitutes celtic culture.

The celtsic term spreads over many ethnicities so it is NOT genetic, although obviously celtic groups will share genetic similarities. Saying being celtic is what you feel at heart is simply over romantacised nonsense. The celtic term itself is a victorian conjured one and never existed throught history.

--------------------
"You cannot be both sane and well educated and disbelieve in evolution. The evidence is so strong that any sane, educated person has got to believe in evolution."
-- Richard Dawkins,

"What the f*ck was that" - Mayor of hiroshima 1945
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 01-Mar-2008, 04:41 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

I to am Scot born and I do not play the fiddle or the pipes nor speak the old language but I'm as Celtic as can be. You are a MacGregor (of the Royal Line) and I say shame on you. The celts are an ethic people who migrated to what is now the U.K. and Ireland. Their origins are somewhat shaded in the past but the best historical and archeological evidence shows a Caucasian or southern Russia point of origin. The language is of the Indo-European group.

Camac

scotborn 
Posted: 01-Mar-2008, 04:50 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 01-Mar-2008, 05:41 PM)
I to am Scot born and I do not play the fiddle or the pipes nor speak the old language but I'm as Celtic as can be. You are a MacGregor (of the Royal Line) and I say shame on you. The celts are an ethic people who migrated to what is now the U.K. and Ireland. Their origins are somewhat shaded in the past but the best historical and archeological evidence shows a Caucasian or southern Russia point of origin. The language is of the Indo-European group.

Camac

the scots ethnically mixed of scandanvian, germanic, anglo saxon, iberian etc etc. it is ridiculous to claim to be celtic due to ethnicity. And exactly what do you mean shame on me. just because I do not subscribe to the foolish notions of celticism that has ceased to exist for centuries. exactly what makes you celtic, please tel me.?

its certainly not ethnicity that makes someone celtic OR scottish.
PMEmail Poster               
Brendan 
Posted: 01-Mar-2008, 05:07 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Suffolk County, Long Island, New York

male

note.gif
This is exactly why bonafide research in this direction is what
I'm going to take. I know my ancestors where "celtic" however
I do not know what Celtic is exactly. Ancient History is often factually incorrect.
It would be nice to know some of these things for sure...
Can anyone offer good reading on this or are the opinions all we have to go by?

Health n Laughter,

Brendan

--------------------
Health 'n Laughter,

Brendan
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 02-Mar-2008, 07:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

It seems to me that identification of Modern Celts is largely a matter of self-identification. One useful starting point is the Wikipedia article on Modern Celts.. As with any wiki, it is always wise to use this as a starting point only, and use the sources cited for further research.
I would also like to remind everyone to be respectful of the opinions of others, especially on an issue of self-identification as a Celt.
Thank you.
PMEmail Poster               
Druid_of_Ark 
Posted: 05-Mar-2008, 12:31 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan Cathcart-USA
Group Icon

Group: Order of the Knights
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Perryville, Arkansas

male

QUOTE (AyaLove @ 27-Jan-2006, 12:27 PM)
I have celtic ancestors, I live in the US, I am of Ulster Scot descent and I still consider myself a celt. A celtic person is not just genetics, it's a deep calling from your heart and soul.

I totally agree with this. I live in the states but dress in kilt regularly and use Scots in my normal speech, beats Hillbilly any day! I also follow Celtic beliefs as a Druid. And celebrate Scottish Holidays not the 4th of July.

--------------------
Blessed Be,
Sir. Raibeart Paris, OGU
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 05-Mar-2008, 12:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

History is very long. Nations have come and gone. Peoples have come and gone. Species of hominids have come and gone.
I identify with my Scots Irish roots for historical perspective in my life. My sister identifies herself from our hispanic roots and immerse herself in that culture. I straddle with definite leanings to my fathers lineage.
Just as there is no longer an Aztec/Pict/Incan/fill in blank,societies functioning as in the past , does not mean descendents of those societies do not exist nor identify themselves with those bygone ancestors, their cultures, ways and self identity.
Clans of Scotland pretty much ceased to exist in their historical context centuries past, yet they still exist, evolved and different, but peoples still identify with clans, just as new clans are evolving in other parts of the world in different societies and context.
Celtic exists, past and present.
Whom/what you choose to identify with is your personage. In what point of the historical timeline you choose may very well define your perspective of what constitutes Celtic.
Heck, I'm an American but its only 200 years old and I like history and feel a need to connect with my ancestors, my roots. It gives me a sense of being.
We are human and have a need to be connected.

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
oldraven 
Posted: 05-Mar-2008, 01:25 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (scotborn @ 01-Mar-2008, 12:49 PM)
The celtic term itself is a victorian conjured one and never existed throught history.

Ask the Celtoi what they thought of the Victorian Era. Or the Greeks and Romans who called them by that name, for that matter. I think you've got a little more digging to do. It shouldn't be hard, since you are surrounded by the people's history (though only one part of that broad European history).

I understand denouncing the Brigadoons, but denouncing the existence of Celts, past and present, is ignoring history. Celts aren't what they were in their Hay Day, but then, neither is Scotland like it was when it was Sovereign.

Druid of Ark, the association of Celt and Druid is much like that of Square and Rectangle. One can be the other, but the other isn't always the one. Pagan would have made more sense than Druid, when broadly defining their beliefs. And that would be before the Christian Celts, obviously. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Druid_of_Ark 
Posted: 05-Mar-2008, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

male

Having consulted with Mrs. MacGump I am forced to state without fear of contradiction that, "Celtic is as Celtic does."
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 05-Mar-2008, 04:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

QUOTE (Druid_of_Ark @ 05-Mar-2008, 04:36 PM)
Having consulted with Mrs. MacGump I am forced to state without fear of contradiction that, "Celtic is as Celtic does."

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Druid_of_Ark 
Posted: 05-Mar-2008, 04:52 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

male

Sorry I posted that on a Dare from my room mate. Never Dare a Scotsman!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]