Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Clan Thompson, The Reivers Ride Again!
Amergin 
Posted: 19-Apr-2009, 09:52 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Milesia

male

Clan Thompson is documented as a Scottish Clan as far back as 1547 at least, and most certainly existed earlier. There are numerous examples in English papers naming Clan Thompson as outlaws for their activities in the border areas between Scotland and England.

Clan Thompson was active predominately in the Lowlands south of the Forth and the Clyde, and was concentrated in the three Marches and adjoining Lothian regions of the Border. A tiny number of Thoms lived in the highlands near Argyll and were affiliated with Campbell, but the vast majority in ancient times lived in the lowlands where they raided other clans for cattle and women. Though this region is called The Borders, the people who lived there knew or cared little about political divisions and national boundaries, nor did they make much distinction between Scottish and English. As long as London left them alone, they lived as they had for centuries.

Names attached to Clan Thompson are: Thompsan, Thompsand, Thompsane, Thompsant, Thompsen, Thompsend, Thompsent, Thompsind, Thompsint, Thompson, Thompstolm, Thompstom, Thompstomb, Thompstombe, Thompstome, Thompston, Thompstone, Thompstoom, Thompstoomb, Thompstown, Thompstum, Thompstume, Thompsyn, Thompsynd, Tompsan, Tompsand, Tompsane, Tompsant, Tompsen, Tompsend, Tompsent, Tompsind, Tompsint, Tompson, Tompstolm, Tompstom, Tompstomb, Tompstombe, Tompstome, Tompston, Tompstone, Tompstoom, Tompstoomb, Tompstoombe, Tompstown, Tompstum, Tompstume, Tompsyn, Tompsynd and perhaps others.

Clan Thompson has applied to the Lord Lyon for official recognition as an honorable society. This is a lengthy process but one which will help document the proud history of this noble family. See Clan Thompson for more information.

Any other Thoms around here? Let's get together.

--------------------
I am a stag: of seven tines,
I am a flood: across a plain,
I am a wind: on a deep lake,
I am a tear: the Sun lets fall,
I am a hawk: above the cliff,
I am a thorn: beneath the nail,
I am a wonder: among flowers,
I am a wizard: who but I
Sets the cool head aflame with smoke?

I am a spear: that roars for blood,
I am a salmon: in a pool,
I am a lure: from paradise,
I am a hill: where poets walk,
I am a boar: ruthless and red,
I am a breaker: threatening doom,
I am a tide: that drags to death,
I am an infant: who but I
Peeps from the unhewn dolmen, arch?

I am the womb: of every holt,
I am the blaze: on every hill,
I am the queen: of every hive,
I am the shield: for every head,
I am the tomb: of every hope.
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Amergin 
Posted: 01-May-2009, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

Question: Is it Thompson or Thomson?

Answer: Standardization of the spelling of surnames (orthography) came much later than most people realize. Thomson and Thompson are the same name and it is only from the mid-18th century that those north of the Forth and Clyde tended to stick to Thomson while those further south and in England moved towards Thompson as the standard. These are generalizations only. Prior to this time you can find legal documents with a man's name spelled as Thomson and Thompson on the same page.
Amergin 
Posted: 10-May-2009, 09:24 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

Here's a little history of Clan Thompson.

Clan Thompson were listed as part of the troublesome border clans in 2 separate Acts of the Scottish Parliament - one in 1587 and the other in 1594. Thomsons were recognized as a clan in 1547, according to a list in "Scotch-Irish Families of America" by Charles A. Hannah. We were then listed as moving from Eksdale to Annandale) in 1597. The clan was in the western Marche area of the borderlands (now Dumfriesshire) and another large group was located in Lothian (just sourth of Edinburgh around Melrose/Jedburgh area). We were a border clan - probably didn’t speak Gaelic, but had just as strong a family or “clan” ties as the highlanders and were recognized as a community under one name.
Amergin 
Posted: 22-May-2009, 06:50 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

What's in a name? Well a lot in some ways, and very little in others.

As pointed out in an earlier message, standardization of the spelling of surnames (orthography) came much later than most people realize. Thomson and Thompson are the same name and it is only from the mid-18th century that those north of the Forth and Clyde tended to stick to Thomson while those further south and in England moved towards Thompson as the standard. These are generalizations only. Prior to this time you can find legal documents with a man's name spelled as Thomson and Thompson on the same page. Spelling was not high on their list of priorities.

There are lots of variations of our name, which at its base means "Son of Thomas." Many men were named Thomas in both Scotland and England (other parts of the world too, but these are the ones we're interested in here). Andrew, son of Thomas might well be called Andrew Thompson, or Andrew MacThomas, or Andrew MacCombie, or even Andrew MacTavish in rare cases. They all mean "Son of Thomas" though, and Andrew's son Angus might make his name Angus Anderson after the old patronymic style, or in more modern times might make it Angus Thompson, taking his father's family name. None of this was standardized until fairly recent times, and spelling was subject to the vagaries of who ever was writing things down even then.

So historically, you cannot legitimately say that all Thompsons are descended from any certain person or group of people. There are many groups descended from various sons of Thom, and they take many different versions of the name. The Thompsons we are concerned with here, however, are predominately from the lowland border areas of Dumfrieshire and Edinburgh Scotland. They were clearly a clan from ancient times, and documented as such well before some of the other name variants. Thompson did not arise as an English translation of a Gaelic name, it arose independently on its own, as did many of the other variants, each of which has its own history.
Amergin 
Posted: 26-Jun-2009, 06:43 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

Thompsons and the Curse

In 1525, the Reivers had become such a nuisance that the then Archbishop of Glasgow, Gavin Dunbar, put a curse upon all the reivers of the borderlands. The curse has often been called the “mother of all curses” and was more than 1000 words long. It was read aloud from pulpits of churches throughout the border region.

user posted image

The Cursing Stone, which sits on the Millennium pathway, is a monumental chunk of inscribed granite which has been inscribed with an extract of a medieval curse. It was installed at Carlisle’s Tullie House Museum in 2001. The museum has been linked to nearby Carlisle Castle by a new underground pathway: the Millennium Subway which has been sandblasted with the surnames of the descendants of the Border Reiver families. If you enlarge the photo above, you will see the name THOMSON inscribed on the floor to the right of the stone.

“I curse their head and all the hairs of their head; I curse their face, their brain (innermost thoughts), their mouth, their nose, their tongue, their teeth, their forehead, their shoulders, their breast, their heart, their stomach, their back, their womb, their arms, their legs, their hands, their feet, and every part of their body, from the top of their head to the soles of their feet, before and behind, within and without.”

”I curse them going and I curse them riding; I curse them standing and I curse them sitting; ”I curse them going and I curse them riding; I curse them standing and I curse them sitting; I curse them eating and I curse them drinking; I curse them rising, and I curse them lying; I curse them at home, I curse them away from home; I curse them within the house, I curse them outside of the house; I curse their wives, their children, and their servants who participate in their deeds. I (bring ill wishes upon) their crops, their cattle, their wool, their sheep, their horses, their swine, their geese, their hens, and all their livestock. I (bring ill wishes upon) their halls, their chambers, their kitchens, their stanchions, their barns, their cowsheds, their barnyards, their cabbage patches, their plows, their harrows, and the goods and houses that are necessary for their sustenance and welfare.”

“May all the malevolent wishes and curses ever known, since the beginning of the world, to this hour, light on them. May the malediction of God, that fell upon Lucifer and all his fellows, that cast them from the high Heaven to the deep hell, light upon them.”

“May the fire and the sword that stopped Adam from the gates of Paradise, stop them from the glory of Heaven, until they forebear, and make amends.”

“May the evil that fell upon cursed Cain, when he slew his brother Abel, needlessly, fall on them for the needless slaughter that they commit daily.”

“May the malediction that fell upon all the world, man and beast, and all that ever took life, when all were drowned by the flood of Noah, except Noah and his ark, fall upon them and drown them, man and beast, and make this realm free of them, for their wicked sins.”

“May the thunder and lightning which rained down upon Sodom and Gomorra and all the lands surrounding them, and burned them for their vile sins, rain down upon them and burn them for their open sins. May the evil and confusion that fell on the Gigantis for their oppression and pride in building the Tower of Babylon, confound them and all their works, for their open callous disregard and oppression.”

“May all the plagues that fell upon Pharoah and his people of Egypt, their lands, crops and cattle, fall upon them, their equipment, their places, their lands, their crops and livestock.”

“May the waters of the Tweed and other waters which they use, drown them, as the Red Sea drowned King Pharoah and the people of Egypt, preserving God’s people of Israel.”

“May the earth open, split and cleave, and swallow them straight to hell, as it swallowed cursed Dathan and Abiron, who disobeyed Moses and the command of God.”

“May the wild fire that reduced Thore and his followers to two-hundred-fifty in number, and others from 14,000 to 7,000 at Anys, usurping against Moses and Aaron, servants of God, suddenly burn and consume them daily, for opposing the commands of God and Holy Church.”

“May the malediction that suddenly fell upon fair Absolom, riding through the wood against his father, King David, when the branches of a tree knocked him from his horse and hanged him by the hair, fall upon these untrue Scotsmen and hang them the same way, that all the world may see.”

“May the malediction that fell upon Nebuchadnezzar’s lieutenant, Olifernus, making war and savagery upon true Christian men; the malediction that fell upon Judas, Pilate, Herod, and the Jews that crucified Our Lord; and all the plagues and troubles that fell on the city of Jerusalem therefore, and upon Simon Magus for his treachery, bloody Nero, Ditius Magcensius, Olibrius, Julianus Apostita and the rest of the cruel tyrants who slew and murdered Christ’s holy servants, fall upon them for their cruel tyranny and murder of Christian people.”

“And may all the vengeance that ever was taken since the world began, for open sins, and all the plagues and pestilence that ever fell on man or beast, fall on them for their openly evil ways, senseless slaughter and shedding of innocent blood.”

“I sever and part them from the church of God, and deliver them immediately to the devil of hell, as the Apostle Paul delivered Corinth. I bar the entrance of all places they come to, for divine service and ministration of the sacraments of holy church, except the sacrament of infant baptism, only; and I forbid all churchmen to hear their confession or to absolve them of their sins, until they are first humbles/subjugated by this curse.”

“I forbid all Christian men or women to have any company with them, eating, drinking, speaking, praying, lying, going, standing, or in any other deed-doing, under the pain of deadly sin.”

“I discharge all bonds, acts, contracts, oaths, made to them by any persons, out of loyalty, kindness, or personal duty, so long as they sustain this cursing, by which no man will be bound to them, and this will be binding on all men.”

“I take from them, and cast down all the good deeds that ever they did, or shall do, until they rise from this cursing.”

“I declare them excluded from all matins, masses, evening prayers, funerals or other prayers, on book or bead (rosary); of all pilgrimages and alms deeds done, or to be done in holy church or be Christian people, while this curse is in effect.”

“And, finally, I condemn them perpetually to the deep pit of hell, there to remain with Lucifer and all his fellows, and their bodies to the gallows of Burrow moor, first to be hanged, then ripped and torn by dogs, swine, and other wild beast, abominable to all the world. And their candle (light of their life) goes from your sight, as may their souls go from the face of God, and their good reputation from the world, until they forebear their open sins, aforesaid, and rise from this terrible cursing and make satisfaction and penance.”
Amergin 
Posted: 04-Jul-2009, 02:53 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

Happy Independence Day from Clan Thompson!

Come find out more at Clan Thompson web page
Amergin 
Posted: 18-Jul-2009, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

Come join Clan Thompson at the Rocky Mountain Scottish Festival and Highland Games in Highlands Ranch Colorado, August 8th and 9th. It will surely be a blast. Scottish Festival
Amergin 
Posted: 10-Aug-2009, 11:36 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

Clan Thompson had a great time at the festival in Highlands Ranch Colorado. Ya shoulda been there!

user posted image
Amergin 
Posted: 13-Dec-2009, 08:24 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

Met a kinsman from Clan Thompson at a recent hooley in Denver.

user posted image

Wish you could have been there.
Amergin 
Posted: 25-Dec-2009, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

Nollaig Shona Dhuit to all of you from Clan Thompson.
Morrigna 
Posted: 15-Dec-2013, 11:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: United States

female

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #106
49,042 Gold!

I am not a Thompson but my 5th Great grandmother is or she might be my 4th from Tillsonburg, ON, Canada. She married into my family the Crossetts'. No clue about her side yet.

--------------------
"In fear I hurried this way and that. I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other."Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf

PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View my Google plus Profile.
Amergin 
Posted: 16-Dec-2013, 02:19 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (Séreméla @ 15-Dec-2013, 10:29 PM)
I am not a Thompson but my 5th Great grandmother is or she might be my 4th from Tillsonburg, ON, Canada. She married into my family the Crossetts'. No clue about her side yet.

Welcome Séreméla, always glad to hear from one of the family. If you have questions about your family history, one really helpful place is the Clan Thompson genealogy forum at http://clanthompson.org/CTF/index.php?board=2.0

Lots of good information on the web page and forum, and a chance to meet others. I figure we're all related if there's a Thompson in the line somewhere. thumbs_up.gif
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]