Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Celtic Cross, Your Opinion Please!
Tassiecelt 
  Posted: 14-Jun-2005, 08:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

Thanks Siobhan, it will be a grand time, provided I survive the airport security sad.gif

I count myself blessed indeed to have the chance to visit Iona and other parts of Scotland.

reddrake79, that was more that 2 cents, but as always I love to read what you have to say.
I guess it's all about keeping a balance and perspective in life. The Word speaks about the "outward adorning" of silver and gold as being less important than the "inward adorning" of the heart.

Paul was the master of balance, he spoke of all things being lawful, but not all things expedient, I love his attitude. He just rejoiced in whatever came his way, joy or sorrow, wealth or poverty, fullness or hunger.

now that's balance!

Life is truly good, and the Lord is blessing us (my wife and I) with this journey. I will try to give a report of the adventure on my return - should the Lord see fit to return us home safely.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 18-Jun-2005, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey there Graham! How wonderful you get to go to Scotland! And especially to Iona! What a blessing. I am planning a trip there myself for next fall 2006. Not sure if I will make it to Iona, but would be nice. Where all else are you traveling there and for how long? will you please post pics of your trip for us in the vacation thread in the Discussion forum? I would love to see them! Have a blessed holiday!
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 19-Jun-2005, 07:01 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 19-Jun-2005, 02:06 PM)
Hey there Graham! How wonderful you get to go to Scotland! And especially to Iona! What a blessing. I am planning a trip there myself for next fall 2006. Not sure if I will make it to Iona, but would be nice. Where all else are you traveling there and for how long? will you please post pics of your trip for us in the vacation thread in the Discussion forum? I would love to see them! Have a blessed holiday!

Thank you sister Rose!

Our first stop is Santa Rosa, CA to spend some time with Deb White and her family (Distant Oaks), they have promised us a private concert (WOW) and some touring of the area.
Next to Denver CO, for a church convention for a week. A local church leader is planning to take us walking in the Rockies also.

From there we fly to Orkney Islands, then to Inverness to pick up a car and drive around Scotland.
We hope to see the usual beauty spots, Loch Ness, Skye, Iona, Mull, Stirling, Edinburgh and lots in between. Then to Norfolk to visit my sister, a few days in London then to Denmark to visit our son and home.

I just got an email from Roy Gullane from Tannahill Weavers, with info on their gig at a folk festival near Carlisle, I hope we can fit that in.

Life sure is good and we thank the Lord for His blessings.

Rose I'll do my best to give you (and all here) a review of the places we visited and post some photos after. We will be back in mid August, God Willing.
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 19-Jun-2005, 04:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

Here's what I found.

The Celtic Cross had it's evolution in the British Isles, with it's earliest form dating to approximately the ninth century and appearing mostly in Ireland. This early version is called a recumbent cross-slab, and they lied flat rather than standing upright. Eventually these made their way into an upright position (now called erect cross-slabs), and acquired a slightly rounded top. Both versions were often decorated with key patterns, interlaced knotwork, and spirals.

The celtic cross then underwent another change. Extraneous rock was carved away from the head of the slab, leaving the rock with the outlined shape of a tall cross, usually on a wider base. Because the cross form was in effect "freed" from the rock now, these types of crosses were commonly called erect free-standing crosses. From these, the arms of the cross eventually became extended beyond the ring of the cross, and the inner quadrants between the rings and the arms were cut away or recessed from the rest of the cross design. The free-standing crosses were elaborately made, and often composed of several pieces of stone. A large cross could have been made of up to four pieces of stone (the base, the shaft, the head, and the upper cross arm), held together by mortise and tenon joints carved into the stone.

An Irish legend tells how St. Patrick created the first Celtic cross by drawing a circle over a Latin cross to incorporate a pagan moon goddess symbol. For an Irish Catholic, the circle in the Celtic cross may be a symbol of eternity and the endlessness of God's love. It can even represent a halo emanating from Christ.

The celtic cross and Irish cross shape itself has been widely used by many ancient peoples, long before the arrival of Christianity. Its four arms were perfect for denoting the four elements, the four directions of the compass, and the four parts of man - mind, body, soul and heart. The addition of the ring around the cross has had many explanations, everything from sun worship and symbolism, to creating a shape with the cross that was well contained and aesthetically pleasing.

celtic cross webpage

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 19-Jun-2005, 10:22 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Graham, you are going to have a wonderful time, it sounds like! Take lots of pics and give us stories too of your trip when you get back home. Have a great trip. Your going to all the places in Scotland that I want to go to. Have fun! Memories you will treasure forever.
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 23-Jun-2005, 07:35 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

I was reading an excellent article today that I found on-line dealing with the Hebridean Awakening of 1949. Here is a link if you are interested in reading it:

http://www.born-again-christian.info/scott...n.campbell.html

Anyway, a little way into the article I found the following:

"The first time I visited a 'Christian' church graveyard in the Western Isles I was stunned to see so many demonic symbols on the graves of professing 'Christians'. Not merely the Celtic Cross, with a circle symbolising the 'binding of Christ's power by Satan', but the skull and crossbones was on almost every headstone."

Interesting, no?

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 23-Jun-2005, 07:37 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

OOPS! That link doesn't work. Here it is again:

http://www.born-again-christian.info/scott...an.campbell.htm

Sorry!
Nancy-Raven 
Posted: 23-Jun-2005, 07:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Quebec

female

Maybe other have write this before but the way I see it.The circle represent the cycle of birth and death , the stone in the middle the sun which was honnored by the celt and see as a divinity.I personnally never associate the celtic cross with christian faith because it represent more pagan belief but the celtic cross is see differently by everyone.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 24-Jun-2005, 04:57 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Very interesting article and about the grave yards, Allen.

I agree with Nancy-Raven though. The Celtic cross seems to be viewed differently by different folks. For me it is the cross of Christ with the circle signifying the eternal love and his sacrifice for us. While to a pagan, a Celtic cross has a whole different meaning. It can be said that of many symbols in history. smile.gif
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 24-Jun-2005, 08:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

So in essence, the celtic cross is what we make of it: whether it be christian or pagan?
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 26-Jun-2005, 01:14 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

JP, that is the conclusion I have come to as I have seen both pagans wear the Celtic cross as well as Christains. However, I have four of them and I am wearing mine and if someone asks me if I am a pagan, I just say no I am a Christian and what the cross signifies to me. Besides, look at our celebrities today....much of them wearing regular crosses around their necks! do you think they are all Christians? Heck no! It is just a piece of jewelry to them. Just my two cents. rolleyes.gif
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 26-Jun-2005, 07:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (WizardofOwls @ 24-Jun-2005, 12:37 PM)
OOPS! That link doesn't work. Here it is again:

http://www.born-again-christian.info/scott...an.campbell.htm

Sorry!

I'm not too sure of this fellow and what he says.

wasn't until the Scottish founder of Presbyterianism, John Knox, began the sixteenth century Scottish Reformation, and faced down Catholic Mary Queen of Scots, that genuine Christianity gained a significant foothold in Scotland

He seems to ignor the early celtic missionaries and all they did, and just writes them off.

In fact, from what little I have seen, those believers such as Patrick were solid in the Bible and taught the truth long before Knox.

I think this fellow has a Presbyterian bias.
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 27-Jun-2005, 10:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 26-Jun-2005, 03:14 AM)
Besides, look at our celebrities today....much of them wearing regular crosses around their necks! do you think they are all Christians? Heck no! It is just a piece of jewelry to them. Just my two cents. rolleyes.gif

That, Rosie, is exactly why my wife will not wear a cross, anywhere, anyhow. So many wear it as simply jewelry.

(as for myself, I'm looking to find a nice celtic cross to wear! biggrin.gif ).
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 30-Jun-2005, 11:03 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Yeah, I can understand your wives attitude. I love crosses and collect them. I especially love all my Celtic crosses though. I have about four or five of them now. Most of them have been gifts from over the pond so that makes it all the more special to me. smile.gif
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 01-Jul-2005, 06:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
42,831 Gold!

Just saw this thread. The Celtic cross is very often used by Presbyterians. My father (who was a Presbyterian minister) told me the circle stands for the Risen, Living Christ as opposed to the figure of the killed Christ on the crusifix. I don't know if this was just his interpretation or Presbyterian teaching.

I'm sure there are several explanations equally as valid. Both symbols, the cross and the circle, predate Christianity. In my opinion, the interpretation depends on the person or group displaying the symbol. Remember that the swastika was an American Indian peace and friendship symbol long before Hitler used it and a burning cross, long a signal for the clan or group to gather, is now a symbol of hatred and bigotry.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]