> Acts Of Kindness
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 07-Apr-2008, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

female

My family moved to the country two years ago in June, after a lifetime in the suburbs. Peace, quiet, 5 acres and (now) 2 horses has made this Siobhan one happy gal.
Talk about acts of kindness, we've found them everywhere. I went to the local doctor for my first major checkup/physical in eons soon after we settled in; well, the cholesterol # was too high and the blood pressure was bad, so I had to go on meds. I asked the sweet nurse to recommend a pharmacy, and as soon as I said I was new to the community I swear two other nurses and the doctor crowded around saying "Oh I hope you like it here, where's your new place? - Where are you from? - I go to a great church if you're looking for a new one! - The best pharmacy is a mile down the road..."

It was amazing! In the local grocery, or the 'Dollar Store', or that charming pharmacy they sent me to, if I need help finding something all I have to do is ask & say I'm new and everybody just swamps me with kindness. I love it out here!

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
Druid_of_Ark 
Posted: 07-Apr-2008, 07:31 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan Cathcart-USA
Group Icon

Group: Order of the Knights
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Perryville, Arkansas

male

Thats the way it is in small towns. I have made the mistake of living in the Big City a few times but did not care for it, the people in big cities become rather like the concrete they surround themselves with.hard and unyielding. In small towns they have the pliability of the earth and the beauty of still peacefulness.

--------------------
Blessed Be,
Sir. Raibeart Paris, OGU
PMEmail Poster               
Leelee 
Posted: 09-Apr-2008, 02:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Alberta, Canada

female

Yesterday, I donated money at one of our local grocery stores raising funds for handicapped children to go to camp.

During the time of "911", I was getting some very strange phone msgs. from Texas on my answering machine. I had been home to receive one of the calls & asked him why he keeps calling my number. Happens to be his wife & children had left, him, a day prior to "911" & was desperately trying to find them. Apparently, she fled to Canada to stay with a friend in my City. This friend had my initials LD. He had pleaded that he only wanted to know that they were okay. I had provided this distraught gent all of the L. D.s in our phone directly that I could give him; I even tried to contact a few myself....but couldn't get through to the recipients, no answer. I hope this gentleman found his wife & kids....safe.
PM               
ranger 
Posted: 09-Apr-2008, 03:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

Probably a reason why they not only left him but fled the country.

--------------------
"...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

'The Lord of the Rings' - Book one
PMEmail Poster               
Leelee 
Posted: 09-Apr-2008, 03:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

huh.gif I felt really badly for this guy, even if his wife & kids left him (for whatever disagreement). They had feelings for each other at one point in their lifetime. I could understand him wanting to at least know that they were safe. It was a verra unnerving phone discussion, I say.
PM               
Patch 
Posted: 30-Apr-2008, 07:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

It is sort of sad that "acts of kindness" seems to have fizzled.

My little community has 330 people locked out of a local factory. Today management announced they were moving to Mexico. I suspected that two months ago. I think it was yesterday that the state unemployment dept approved their unemployment as the factory has refused to supply the required info to start the claims. After a certain period of time approval is automatically granted without the info. I was suprised at the amount of food collected to help the families involved. People in the community have even donated money for unusual needs.

It has restored my faith in the residents of the county. I do not think much of the foreign company that purchased the facility and plans to take advantage of NAFTA though.

I do believe that most people are basically good and want to help their neighbors. Some just need to be jolted a little bit once in a while.

Slàinte,   

Patch
PMEmail Poster               
Leelee 
Posted: 02-May-2008, 08:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

The Beauty Inside....read at Audrey Hepburn's Funeral

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness...
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run his/her fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone...

People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone.

Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms.

As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself and the other for helping others.
PM               
Patch 
Posted: 03-May-2008, 12:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Excellent thoughts!

In this part of the US it isn't unusual to see people along the street with a "will work for food" signs. Whenever I see one of those persons I go around the block and come back to give them $5.00. I have been asked, what if they are just ripping you off? As I see it, if they are, it is their loss. It is not mine.

Slàinte,   

Patch
PMEmail Poster               
Leelee 
Posted: 03-May-2008, 12:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

Excellent thoughts!

Thank ye, Patch smile.gif If only people would live by these words, the world would be a much better place to live in. happy.gif

Went to B.C. one Christmas by Greyhound; once we arrived, there was a young ladd asking for money so that he could buy a ticket to make it for Christmas to see his family. We were hesitant to give money, but instead gave what we had left of our sandwiches and juice that we made for the trip. He was extremely grateful, as we don't know how long he had gone without food & drink.

We felt wonderful being able to help, in some way smile.gif thumbs_up.gif

BTW I am glad you figured out how to do a "Quote"; took me awhile, too biggrin.gif
PM               
Patch 
Posted: 03-May-2008, 07:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Leelee @ 03-May-2008, 07:01 AM)

Went to B.C. one Christmas by Greyhound; once we arrived, there was a young ladd asking for money so that he could buy a ticket to make it for Christmas to see his family. We were hesitant to give money, but instead gave what we had left of our sandwiches and juice that we made for the trip. He was extremely grateful, as we don't know how long he had gone without food & drink.

We felt wonderful being able to help, in some way smile.gif thumbsup.gif

BTW I am glad you figured out how to do a "Quote"; took me awhile, too biggrin.gif

In the community where spent (or mis-spent) my youth depending on who you might talk to there was an older lady who was known for always being the first to come forward when someone needed help She probably needed help herself as badly as those she was so willing to help. I moved away and 20 or so years later my Sister called to let me know she died. The preferred memorial was for the "Make a Wish" foundation. For the Funeral, They had to block streets around the church as people stood in the rain because the church was full. The funeral director indicated they had never raised so much money for any cause and the viewing was extended to accommodate those who came to show their respects.

She left only a small estate but her riches were far greater than those any one I know of today.

Her life had a bigger impact on my believe than I realized.

I plan on having a Wake in the finest tradition of my mothers Irish ancestors. My father's Scot side will probably roll over in their graves at the thought of the expense. It is easy to get people to show up for free alcohol, food and entertainment. In reality that WILL be a "free lunch".

Slàinte,   

Patch

PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 06-May-2008, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

I work part-time as a secretary for a Baptist church in Douglas county. Our church helps a group called Christian Aid that distributes food & clothes to needy families in the area. Some of our members volunteer there, and the church collects food each month for them too.
Well last week we were told an anonymous man was willing to match all funds donated to Christian Aid for an entire month! I haven't heard how much $$ was raised, but I thought that sure was nice of him to do that. Very generous.
PM               
Patch 
Posted: 06-May-2008, 05:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

This Saturday our 'Mail Carriers" will be collecting food for the needy. Time for a trip to the grocery store.

Slàinte,   

Patch

PMEmail Poster               
Druid_of_Ark 
Posted: 06-May-2008, 10:34 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan Cathcart-USA
Group Icon

Group: Order of the Knights
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Perryville, Arkansas

male

While in the hospital I helped a young Lass tha was having trouble wi another patient, and she said I was truly a Gentleman. She was a nice Lass tae say tha, bit I did as always. I wish ain day I could find a Lass tha would want tae be wi me fae me.
PMEmail Poster               
pretentiouswombat 
Posted: 07-May-2008, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Georgia

female

I've done lots of charity knitting, crocheting, and sewing for probably 20 years now. One of the groups I support sends handmade goods to the troops overseas. Occasionally, they send other store-bought items when there is enough postage money to spare. The other day I saw a note that said the troops were asking for coffee. So, I contacted the organizer and said that I had packs of coffee for our coffee maker here at work but I didn't know if they wanted instant or regular. Turns out they want the regular so I boxed up all of our Starbucks coffee (probably 2 dozen bags) and my dad mailed it off for me. We don't drink it because it's too strong and it was just hanging around in case we had guests in the office who might want it (let's see, the last time we had guests was...last year??) So, I made the executive decision to donate it. It's the least I can do.

--------------------
Check out my new blog at www.dilettantesdilemma.blogspot.com
Patti, The Celtic Pretentious Wombat

Feel the Teal! The year is 1599, and a new musical sensation is sweeping the youth of England! Dude! Life is Good! Visit The Lost Boys Online
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Camac
Posted: 07-May-2008, 01:34 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

I used to do acts of kindness for people that I knew or barely knew but after being stabbed in the back once to often that now if they were on fire in front of me I wouldn't pee on then to put the fire out.

Camac.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]