Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Languages, I'm in a poll phase

How many other languages can you speak at least a little of?
Gaelic [ 2 ]  [7.41%]
French [ 8 ]  [29.63%]
Spanish [ 9 ]  [33.33%]
German [ 4 ]  [14.81%]
Italian [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Mandarin [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Japanese [ 1 ]  [3.70%]
Swahili [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Arabic [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Any Scandinavian language [ 3 ]  [11.11%]
Total Votes: 27
Guests cannot vote 
stoirmeil 
Posted on 10-Mar-2007, 05:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Antwn @ 10-Mar-2007, 01:09 PM)
I'd like to learn Russian and re-learn German. Spanish would be good too since its a languge I could try to speak with somebody here in the US.

I've still got that Russian language learning system for you, mate. You got any place where I can send it now?

I have some French and a good bit more German, a tiny bit of Scots Gaidhlig, and fluent read/write/speak Yiddish. Have set sights on the Normandy dialect as next crazy thing to do -- not too hard with some French already in the bag, but looks and sounds quite different from standard French. This is the the dialect of French behind the Acadian Quebecois, which is my heritage through my father's line. There's a considerable literature in it.
PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted on 11-Mar-2007, 01:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

Lessee...

I used to be fluent in Parisian French.

Spent a semester in the Marseilles area and had Provencale beaten into me.

My Spanish would make a toddler laugh, but I can manage.

After working with the Amish, I picked up a smattering of their Deutch.

I know enough Mandarin to know what cheesy names gamers name their characters.

I took four semesters of Japanese, had an exchange student live with us for three years, and married an anime fanboy, so my Japanese isn't *all* that bad.

I'm still picking up bits and pieces of Mingo and Seneca.

I can swear like a sailor in Lenape.

I speak fluent Pittsburghese (and if you don't think it's a separate dialect, come on over here).

My Doric Scots isn't too bad. Not that I use it all that much, but I can understand things at high speed at any rate.

My Irish and Scots Gaelic are...well...I think if they ever did Sesame Street in Gaelic I might not hurt myself. laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
pflanary 
Posted on 12-Jun-2007, 09:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Southwest VA (Lee Co.

female

English, of course--mainly Southern but with hints from Oregon, Utah, Irish and Yankee. (I pick up accents easily, so I have acquired some Irish pronounciation and 'lilt' from studying Gaelic and listening to Irish singers.)

Sign language--used to be fairly fluent in Pidgin Signed English and have studied ASL (many years ago) Also includes some Canadian sign--in fact my former students in the US Virgin Islands may stil use the Canadian sign for 'soon'--which means 'patience' in US sign. There are Utah, Oregon and of course Southern influences, too.

Was fluent in Parisian French (with Provancal influence from a summer spent in Avignon.) for quite a while but haven't used it routinely for many years.

Took some classes in Spanish but mostly picked it up by osmosis--my mother spoke it, as a French lab assistant heard it every day as the Spanish lab assistants were in the same room and was also around it frequently in undergraduate school as my second mother was director of International Student Afairs and had lived in Boliva.

Took some German but remember very little.

Ditto for Hebrew.

Can make out quite a bit of written Latin and Italian from exposure to French and Spanish and as far as Latin from studying English word origins.

Have tapes to learn Irish Gaelic (northern dialect) but haven't listen to them for a while so I don't remember a lot.

Was exposed to Chinese--mostly Mandarin--Hatian, Farsi and various others in undergraduate school hanging around foreign students, but never learne to speak any of them.

I think that's everything.

--------------------
God then made man. The Italians for their beauty. The French for their cuisine. The Welsh for their voices. The Germans for their cars. And on and on until He looked at what He had created and said, "This is all very well, but no-one is having fun. I'll have to make an Irishman."
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted on 12-Jun-2007, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

I was an airborne voice intercept operator/flight examiner (cryptolinguist) in the Air Force, which required me to spend a year at N(o)S(uch)A(gency) learning Vietnamese fulltime. I haven't used it much in the last 37 years, so have forgotten most of what I learned. I learned the Hanoi dialect, so when I went off-base in South Vietnam, the South Vietnamese would often ask if I worked for the CIA--I could honestly say no. biggrin.gif
I also picked up a fair amount of Japanese while stationed at Yokota AB, Japan, and Kadena AB, Okinawa, most of which I have also forgotten in the last 37 years.
During my Air Force days, I also learned enough Russian, Chinese, and Arabic to recognize them.
I studied French and Spanish in school, and actually retain some of it. I tried self-study of German and Italian, but didn't get far.
I have been exposed to a few other languages: Korean, Tagalog, Thai, and Lao are a few, but can't claim to be able to recognize them.
I do recognize a few words of Gaelic, thanks to Highlander Radio. thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted on 12-Jun-2007, 11:46 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

I can get by in French, Spanish and Japanese. I have a smattering of Gaelic, German, Yiddish and New Jersey. tongue.gif I can get in trouble in a few others. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Donajhi 
Posted on 12-Jun-2007, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Fae Hillfort

female

Living in Arizona one picks up Spanish with ease. All of our signs and
instructions,(construction signs mostly), have English and below the Spanish
translation. Seeing them everyday one just starts to remember the Spanish
words and you know what it means. Now, to roll it off your tongue is a whole
other matter, be careful in that area. I've had to beat feet a few times yelling,
"What did I say, what did I say?" Strange, no one is interested in answering
a question at that time, maybe they can't hear over the laughing? taz.gif oops.gif

I grew up speaking nothing but, Doric Scot. Learning English was very hard,
it is a diffuclt language. After I left the clan compound and moved to arizone
I had no one to speak to so it faded. Not a smart thing for me to do, but
there you go. I know, my bush needs some new light bulbs. lightbulb.gif

--------------------
CHECK MY SITE: BEYOND THE VEIL http://www.gmadventures.com

"I DID NOT, IT WAS THE FAIRY FOLK!"

Scottish by the grace of God

Fairy Day countdown banner

DIOGENES HAS PASSED ME THE LANTERN, STILL LOOKING.....
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted on 12-Jun-2007, 01:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
42,961 Gold!

My mother tongue is southern, but I know a little English.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Gwynhwyvar 
Posted on 19-Jul-2007, 05:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Smyrna, Georgia

female

Like The Carolina Scotsman above - my mother tongue is southern.
I have also taken Hebrew classes out of curiosity - they were offered at my church one time. I also took French and Latin in high school. I took Italian in college for music. And of course, I spent two months in Ireland in the Galetacht area in a little town called Spiddeal learning the language and the music. That was back in 1980. When I came home to Georgia, there wasn't much in the way of other speakers to converse with. I did like freaking out people in public when I started saying things in Irish. I have been able to use it some at my church - I have sung "Bi Thusa Mo Shuile"(Be Thou My Vision) several times at church. I also am putting together the song found on a Moya Brennan cd called "Song of David". I teach 4 and 5 year old choir and they are picking up the Irish very well. WE will be doing it sometime in October at our church - I think.

--------------------
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.""
Psalm 91:1-2

"Be what you would seem to be--or, if you'd like it put more simply--Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." from "Alice in Wonderland"
PMEmail Poster               
Drothgord 
Posted on 19-Jul-2007, 10:43 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kerava, Finland

male

I speak Finnish, naturally.
And the foreign languages i can speak are English and Swedish.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]