DesertRose 
Posted: 07-Jul-2007, 02:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Why cannot people protect their animals during this time period? I recieved this in our recent humane society newsletter! Broke my heart.

"Pima Animal Care sent out two trucks to pick up dead animals around Tucson on Thursday morning. Usually it just sends one.
Most of the animals were dogs likely spooked by July 4th fireworks, said Gerardo Sanchez, Pima Animal Care's enforcement-operations manager.
Every year, animal rescuers have extra work the day after Independence Day, officials said. The booms, hisses, screeches and pops from colorful explosions that light up the sky are terrifying to cats and dogs.
While cats usually hide and turn up later, dogs can run for miles in an effort to escape the sound, said Jill Wohlfeil, the Humane Society of Southern Arizona's community relations director.
"Dogs will jump through windows and over fences," she said. "Very often they'll end up injured or hit by cars because they're so terrified, they're not paying attention."
Animal Care responded to reports of 11 dead animals Thursday morning, which is a few more than average, Sanchez said.
The Humane Society, was "slammed" Thursday morning, Wohlfeil said. Mostly it's people dropping off dogs that had run away from their homes.
Pima Animal Care received four times as many telephone calls from people looking for lost pets as it does on a normal day, Sanchez said.
Tom Flohr, 40, said he found a skittish dog outside his gated community. He and his neighbor corralled the dog, which he said looked like a golden retriever-mix, about 10 a.m. Thursday.
"Initially it was very scared," he said. "I think it had been running scared overnight."
The dog appeared healthy and well-fed, even a bit overweight, he said. It had a collar but no tags. He said he considered keeping the dog at his house and posting signs around his neighborhood, but didn't have enough time.
Instead he took the dog to the Humane Society. The Humane Society took in 52 animals, according to Wohlfeil. Forty people called in to report animals they found, 37 more called in to report lost animals and Humane Society staffers had an additional 36 voice messages to screen.
Owners trying to claim a pet have to answer detailed questions about the animal, she said. "

I keep my dogs inside and protected. But I guess I am being over critical here. ...sigh.

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Swanny 
Posted: 07-Jul-2007, 07:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

All of my dogs are accustomed to loud noises, as they are exposed to episodic gunfire from a very young age. Even the dogs I rescued as adult dogs seem to have little or no problem with it, they seem to take their cue from the 'experienced' dogs in the yard.

Unfortunately, city people don't think about loud noises during their puppies critical socialization period and the result is noise-phobic dogs.

It is a sad state of affairs, because it is preventable. Anyone in contact with the puppy during it's first 16 weeks of life can prevent noise phobias simply by exposing the puppies to noise in a non-threatening environment. It truly is just that simple.

There is only so much that the typical pet owner can do for a noise phobic dog, though. First, they have to recognize that the dog is at risk. If they've never seen the dog react negatively to loud noise in the past, they may have no clue just how fearful and reactive the dog may be. If the dog escapes its fenced enclosure or jumps through a window it is going to run MUCH faster than any humans trying to chase after it.

Making sure your dog can be identified and returned is also cheap insurance. Each of my dogs has a tag with my name and phone number riveted to its collar. In fact, all of my spare collars are also tagged (I was really bored one rainy afternoon so did up a bunch of them). Each dog is also microchipped, even the rescue that I am co-fostering with Lynn Orbison is chipped with the ID number registered to the rescue shelter. Several of my dogs also have ear tattoos.

The case I saw on TV news that really torqued my arse was the dude in Florida who 'forgot' that he'd tied his little lap dog to his car while working, and drove off dragging the dog. When the cops stopped him he refused to take the dog to the vet, so they arrested his sorry carcass.

The very first lesson that was drilled into my noggin' when I took up dog mushing was always, always, always walk 360 degrees around the truck before starting the engine. Heck, it isn't even inconvenient. Just make it a habit each and every time. It's a smart procedure for any driver. It can prevent you from backing over the kid's toys or the kid, your cat, your dog, or anything else that may have just happened to land close to the rig.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 07-Jul-2007, 08:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Well, in my not so humble opinion, we have some very non-caring animal people on this planet. Their dogs disappear during the 4th of July noises and owners seem to wonder why and be very nonchalant about how the dog is suffering to begin with. They make no preparations. I just don't get it and makes me so very angry.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt