> Clan stewart
kylassie 
Posted: 18-Nov-2001, 09:58 PM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Kentucky

Here is a *fully illustrated* ;) link on how to wrap and wear the great kilt    
http://www.scottish-selection.com/tweb/greatkilt/index.htm

Only the bravest and most courageous Scotsmen can wear the kilt as kilts were meant to be worn! :D

Slainte,

Janet

--------------------
Slainte,

Janet

aka Kentucky Lassie

aka Janet, Queen of Scots :p
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 21-Nov-2001, 08:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

For some classes you could try my site as well. I have a language page which has 14 different links to Gaelic and Scottish language sites. Maybe one might be of help.

http://www.scottishradio.net/scottish/Language.htm

As for clothing what time period are you talking? I saw a couple sites which dealt with items like this while surfing for the civil war/scottish links.  :)
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
  Posted: 24-Nov-2001, 06:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

I'd say that guy/gal doesn't like the way the guys numbered 2 & 4 are wearing their outfits. They pick on them allot.  :p
PMEmail Poster               
kylassie 
Posted: 25-Nov-2001, 12:43 PM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

Actually the Tartan Police website is a very funny website! They do not take themselves or others very seriously at all. Here is a picture of them in a "Marilyn Monroe" type pose with their kilts! :D

However, all kidding aside, they do make some very good points. They call people who are not Scots, but try to act like they are, "Brigadoons."

http://www.durham.net/~neilmac/

In living history talk, we call those types "Farbees." To go to a Civil War event and be called a "Scarlette O'Hara" or a "Rhett Butler" is the ultimate insult to those who don't know what that means.
PMEmail Poster               
kylassie 
Posted: 25-Nov-2001, 06:35 PM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

Okay, but which time period do you want to discuss first? It begins with the sixteen century and continues all the way to 1960! I do not have a scanner, but I do have a friend who might help me.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 02-Dec-2001, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
238,734 Gold!

Quote from kylassie, posted on Nov. 25 2001,11:15
I want to honor my ancestors - not insult them!

I will dress up and wear my "Sunday Best" to some events, naturaly, but when I wear the Tartan, I intend to do it correctly. Must be woolen, must be correct length, colors must at least be of correct threads - not the golden or silver tablecloth fabric found today. Must be worn correctly in that men wear kilts and ladies wear arisaidhs, and not vise versa. I am not a "kilt-snob" by any means, others may dress as they please, and more power to them, but I want to do mine correctly for my children. That is part of our Highland history and heritage that I am seeking to preserve.

Hi Janet,

I think it is great that you want to wear the proper dress right down to the colors and garment. And it is to honor our Ancestors for the way of life they lived, enjoyed and in sometimes died for. After all, we owe them alot for getting us to the point we are today. So, just wanted to compliment you on your convictions!

(y) (y) (y)

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
kylassie 
Posted: 18-Nov-2001, 10:17 AM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

Is this tartan okay for a person whose maiden name is Stewart to wear on Tartan Day? I do not know the precise geneology of my father's family, since my parents were divorced when I was a wee bairn. I am not sure if the link will work, but I will try...

http://www.tartans.scotland.net/tartan_info.cfm?tartan_id=669
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 18-Nov-2001, 05:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

In fact thinking wearing of kilts. Maybe Paul might have a person who knows how to full don a Scottish outfit including kilt and such. I am looking at getting a kilt myself one of these days and would like to know how to go about properly wearing it. I have looked around but no luck as of yet finding a site describing the process. Would make for an interesting topic.  :)

As for Tartan will let someone else answer this as I am not sure of the answer but your link worked fine.  ;)

As for genealogy a little tip in case as not sure of your age and not asking but...Ask as many questions of the living now while you can once their gone you can't ask them the question you wanted to. Records will always be around or at least hopfully allot longer and with electronic libraies that is now possible.  :)

And I see you're no longer a mere peasant. Congradulations on your promotion.   :D

PMEmail Poster               
kylassie 
Posted: 19-Nov-2001, 08:40 AM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

I was scouting around on that same website this morning and I found an *excellent* description of the appropriate Scot Highlander ladies fashion! It too, comes complete with illustrations regarding how to wear the arisaidh correctly. My only critique of the model however, is that she is not wearing a skirt or a petticoat to compliment the outfit. :)

http://www.scottish-selection.com/tweb/ladies.htm
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 20-Nov-2001, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
238,734 Gold!

Looks like you found some great sites on the kilt! Thanks for posting them on the forum so everyone can check them out!

As far as what tartan to wear, it is appropriate for a person to wear any type of tartan color. There is no law or rule against a macdougal wearing a mcgregors tartan. In fact, many Scottish men would keep a number of kilts in their possesion when traveling in the very old days (1600's) because wearing a certain colored kilt could get them killed!

My son and daughter Highland dance and they both wear kilts. My daughter wears the international purple tartan and my son wears the blue macrae of chondra. (he is a macarthur, but macrae colors look better on him for dancing).

There are some differences in the attire for men and woman concerning kilts. I will look some things up and see if I can list out the differences on this topic.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
aklassie 
Posted: 20-Nov-2001, 11:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Texas

female

Here's a wounderful web site I found over a year ago.  In it you'll find alot of info about tartans, history and such.  I've found it most informative.  Hope it helps.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/2897/index.html
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
kylassie 
Posted: 21-Nov-2001, 11:50 AM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

:D Thank you for your replies! My main concern is that when I wear my Tartan with pride on National Tartan Day, that I do so in a way that is both proper and correct! I have found colors of Stewart Tartan (Hunting Stewart) that are appropirate for anyone named Stewart to wear - plus it matches the colors of my everyday wardrobe.

I am not trying to seem too pretentious about what clothes to wear, etc., but since this is my first year of doing this, and I have precious little money to spend on such things, I want to make sure that I do it right, and then I can add to it with each passing year. At $45 per yard for tartan wool, this will be my first big investment.

I am also a Civil War re-enactor, and I have decided to combine both hobbies into one if it is at all possible. So it becomes even more important to me about getting the appropriate accoutrements, as I have no desire to be labeled a *Farbee* or a *MacFarbee* as the case may be. That is one reason I am going to take lessons in Gaelic, as well, to improve my historic impression.

I have found a VERY NICE Stewart Website from one of Highlander Radio's sponsors - Electric Scotland. There are many, many links to the various Stewart Organizations and such.  

http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/stoz/stewart.html

Slainte,

Janet
PMEmail Poster               
kylassie 
Posted: 21-Nov-2001, 07:50 PM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

Excellent links, thanks aklassie and Scottish2! :)

Whenever I do historical impressions I try to look into my own families' history first. There are many stories and many colorful characters in our families past, and I draw from them for my inspiration. For my Scottish immigrant impression, I portray the daughter of our first American immigrant who came to this continent as a stowaway on a sailing ship from Scotland.  I imagine him as an ousted teenage Jacobite, forced to come across the sea on pain of death for refusing to put down his kilt and give up his freedom to the English overlords.

As with movie making, there is only the barest outline of our family history so that I have virtually a blank slate upon which to build the characterization. The rest is RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH. I have to find the appropriate clothing for that time period, the appropriate daily living artifacts that might have been used, and the correct "mindset" for a woman living in that particular day and time. That is why I am intending to take an online course to learn Gaelic - I would imagine my great grandfather obstinately teaching Gaelic to his children in defiance of the King's wishes!

Another good website to learn about living history is at

http://www.historicaltrekking.com

The hardest part is going to be finding the money to purchase a bolt of linen cloth to make our chemises and lienes (all handsewn of course) with!  ???
PMEmail Poster               
kylassie 
Posted: 21-Nov-2001, 08:56 PM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

The online course that I plan to take is through the Dalriada Celtic Heritage Trust. I found them online, and through our correspondence, it is a program that teaches the actual use of the language, and not just bit and pieces of words and phrases. I use the online directories and dictionaries to learn a word or two of Gaelic, but that is not the same as being able to use it in any conversational sense of sommunication. It costs approximately $60 American dollars, which is comparable to similar begginer language courses that you might find. When I learn to speak Gaelic, I intend to teach others to speak it too! :)

Dalriada Celtic Heritage Trust
Taigh Arainn
Glenartney Hotel
Brodick
Isle of Arran KA27 8BX

Tel. 01770-302532
Email: [email protected]

BTW, I really enjoy the Gaelic Proverb of the Day on the Highlander Radio Site. My grandparents used to mumble gibberish at one another now and again, and I think I am finally realizing what they were saying to one another!

My character would have lived sometime between 1745 - 1800. This is Pre-Civil war, I know, but I can do Rev War Impressions too.
PMEmail Poster               
kylassie 
Posted: 24-Nov-2001, 05:53 PM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

I just KNEW that there had to be a Tartan Police somewhere out there...

I found their website and a list of Tartan Dos :) and Tartan Donts :0

http://www.durham.net/~neilmac/gallery.htm

Be careful how you wear your kilt - you never know who might send your photo to this website! ;)

Slainte,

Janet
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]