Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Judas Iscariot, What do you think of him?
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 09-Feb-2004, 10:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Feb 7 2004, 12:17 PM)
Which brings up the fascinating question - why didn't he? Peter denied his Lord only hours after swearing he never would. And yet he repented and the church was built upon him. Judas could have had the same forgiveness. Why didn't he believe in that?

Judas gave up too soon - he despaired. He ran out of hope, he thought he'd gone too far to be forgiven. I feel so sorry for him...

Judas despaired just like the young man I once knew, who shot himself because his wife left him. This guy might have found another love, or the realization that he could be okay alone but instead he was swallowed up by despair and killed himself. If he'd thought about the horror his family would experience upon finding him dead, perhaps that might have made him put down the gun.

Despair is a deep, black water that you can find yourself neck-deep in before you realize how far away from shore you've gotten.

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 09-Feb-2004, 01:35 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

once you sunk far enough the usual way is upwards tho... I would say everybody is experiencing that in one way or another in their life

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 06:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

OK, here is the script for
The Betrayal
I wish the script gave justice to the way the actor is performing it.

Set - The performance area is an open room with chairs placed in a half circle before a large tan curtain representing the outside of the Upper Room. Before the curtain is a bench. The rest of the room will be in gloom.

Cast:
Judas
Jesus
Chief Priest
Mary

The service will begin with music. Special number and congregational singing to take the audience back into the past. Hopefully violins and flutes will be used to create a mournful, brooding mood.

(Introduction by the minister:) - Welcome as we once again visit the Upper Room on the night of our Lord?s Last Supper. The last night He spent upon this earth in human form. A night spent in fellowship with His disciples. A night of preparation and a night of great sorrow.
A night of betrayal.
So often we focus on Christ and the disciples on this night. Rarely do we focus on the one who did the unthinkable.
Judas.
Tonight we contemplate Judas. Painted throughout history as the blackest of villains.
Judas. Who up until this night was one of the disciples. One of the twelve chosen by Jesus to be His closest followers. A man beloved by Jesus and who followed Him from the first with the same conviction as did Peter or John.
Judas.

(Judas approaches walking through audience to the center of the room, moneybag dangling obviously from his waist.)

(Judas) -
Just listen to them in there. Carrying on like tomorrow won?t be any different from today. Can?t they see how the winds are changing on us? Listen to Peter asking the women when the food will be prepared. Can they never wait for my return? They know the responsibility I have in keeping the purse for this lot. Someone has to pay for the things we eat and the clothes we wear. Someone has to find ways to make our meager few coins accommodate this crowd.

But those Galileans are like children. As long as their needs are met, what do they care for the effort and worry that go along with the responsibility I?ve shouldered? A thankless job. No one knows the nights I have lain awake, sleepless until dawn, trying to find a way to pay for all we need. And someone must look to the future. They will not understand something must be put away for our needs later. We will not always be following Him. What happens to us then? So if I have taken some and invested it in a field whose crops will reap rewards for many a year to come is that not being a faithful steward? Oh, I know Jesus preached to not worry about what we eat or drink and not to worry about the morrow, that God will provide. But Jesus isn?t faced with angry creditors. That is why I didn?t tell Him of purchasing the field a year ago. Even then I could see we needed some stability, some security. Changes are coming. The others may not understand at first, but in time they will see we needed a base to build the New Jerusalem upon. The foundation we have been following is not what we thought it was. We will need a fresh start. And I have assured we will be prepared for the future. Look not to tomorrow He said. I say that shows irresponsibility with the gifts given unto us.

Three years. Three years I?ve followed him. I?ve seen things that defy explanation. I wanted to believe He was more than a man. That He was the answer Israel had been longing for. But conjurers have abounded since the dawn of time.
I have lived with him. Walked with him. Worked beside him. And I can tell you He is just a man. I know what songs he likes to sing. What music sooths him when his heart is heavy and what jokes he tells that made those about Him laugh like hyenas. Like the one about the donkey and the goat and the chicken. Or maybe it was the donkey merchant and the goat herder? No, that isn?t right either. I don?t understood the purpose of jokes. I?m not like Peter.

Peter. One of his favorites. And Jesus has his favorites. His special few. Always at the center of his inner circle. He might have chastised them for seeking glory, but who did he take with him to the mountain that time when they all came back with faces aglow and mouths closed as to what they had seen? Did He take me? No, only those He favored. He preaches inclusion but practices exclusion. I am the one who has been entrusted with the moneybag, a position of responsibility beyond the capabilities of those Galileans.

What is so special about Galilee anyway? Why was I the only disciple chosen from Judea when all know Judeans are better educated and from better families than those from Galilee. If only there had been more Judeans around Jesus, then perhaps we wouldn?t be where we are tonight.

Jesus has lost sight of the mission. And for the sake of Israel, He cannot be allowed to continue. He must be taken out of the limelight before he brings death and destruction down upon all the people He has claimed to have come to save. How will it save Israel if all of Rome is brought down upon our heads?

I wish all of you could have seen him like I did when he first began to preach. (voice becomes soft, adoring) If you could have seen the goodness that radiated from Him. Children flocked to Him from everywhere. We tried to keep them away, but He always had time for children.
And the compassion and tenderness he showed to even the vilest of sinners or the most leprous of diseased. The patience with everyone.

Once I was ill with a fever. He tended to me himself. His hands were as soft as a woman?s as he held the cool cloth to my head. But the next day when we stopped to help an old farmer bring in his harvest, Jesus worked as hard as any of us. Harder than even Peter. He spared Himself nothing. Never asked more of us than He was willing to do Himself.

But no list of His virtues could ever prepare you for the impact of His voice upon your heart. When I first heard Him speak, it was as if the sun had come out in dazzling abundance after thirty days of darkest night. Every word from his mouth was like a ruby of greatest value. From the first, He showed a wisdom never before seen in Israel ? even in the days of Elijah.

(voice become harder again) But that was in the early days. What has He been preaching for three years? The kingdom of God is at hand. The meek shall inherit the earth. Who have we been preaching to? Those abiding in highest estate? In the kingdoms and principalities? No, we?ve been preaching to the poor, the lame, - those who needed us. We have spent the last three years helping the poor. But what happened in Bethany? That woman came in with an alabaster jar filled with precious perfume. The cost of which could have provided for a family for a year. Did she give it to me to sell so that we could help the poor? The very people Jesus has been pretending to care for? No, she pours it over Jesus? head! And what does He do? Is He horrified at the waste? No He thanks her! Thanks her. Commends her. Protects her from our protests. And when I try and remind Jesus what we?ve been all about these three long years ? what He has all been about ? He rebukes me! Me! Rebuked like a child before all! He said leave her alone, the poor will be with you always.

Jesus has lost sight of the mission. The Kingdom of God is at hand. Those are the words that drew us in. Now he is saying it isn?t an earthly kingdom. What does that even mean? Not an earthly kingdom? What other kind is there? All of a sudden we have gone from building a kingdom we all would lay down our lives for, to striving for some kingdom that exists only in His fantasy.
He has become dangerous. Doesn?t He see it? (Judas enters the Upper Room)

The voice of Jesus reads Luke 22: 15-20 from ?behind the wall?.
(Jesus:)
? ?I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.? Lord, bless this cup and this bread that I lift up to You. May they be the symbols that bind together generations of believers, now and in the days to come. Amen. ?Take this cup and divide it among you. For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes. Likewise, this is my body, given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.?

(Invitation to communion from minister) ? Once a curtain separated man from the most Holy place of God. But when Jesus died upon the cross, that curtain was torn asunder so that we now may enter into the presence of God by the intercession of Our Lord. Come with me behind the curtain and remember our Risen Lord as we partake of the sacrament of communion in remembrance of Him.

Music played now. ?In Remembrance of Me? and/or others. The people will file behind the curtain where they first find Judas leaning against the far wall, cynically observing the procession. But as they look past Judas they see a man dressed in white, lit by a soft glow ? Jesus - holding out to them the symbols of his blood and his body.

When all are seated again, Jesus? voice comes to us again from behind the curtain. Mark 14: 18-21
(Jesus)
? ?I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me ? one who is eating with me. It is one of the twelve, one who dips bread into the bowl with me. The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But Woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.?

After a pause, Judas stumbles out exit (left side) of UR
(Judas:)
Jesus knows ? how could he know? It must be tonight. They must do it tonight. To wait would only cause more deaths.
Deaths! What am I saying? The Sanhedrin have no power to put a man to death. That must come from Rome. No, they will hurt him, but they cannot kill him. After they have made their spectacle?. after they bruise and beat Him?. . When they show everyone He?s just a man, then they?ll let Him go and we?ll go away from here. Start over again. Not dream so high this time.

(Voice of Jesus:)- from John 13:33 ? My children, I will be with you only a little while longer. Where I am going you cannot come.

Mary comes out from the Upper Room, looks off to the distance mournfully, wraps shawl tighter about her. Begins to sing sadly and Judas joins in, gathering his courage until he finishes defiantly.

Mary:
I've been living to see you, dying to see you, but it shouldn't be like this.
This was unexpected, what do I do now? Could we start again please?
I've been very hopeful so far, now for the first time I think we're going wrong.
Hurry up and tell me this is just a dream! oh! Could we start again please?

Judas: I think He?s made His point now!
He?s even gone a bit too far to get the message home.
It?s gotten way too frightening He never called a vote. Now! We?ll start again please.

Mary: I've been living to see you, dying to see you, but it shouldn't be like this.
This was unexpected, what do I do now? Could we start again please?

Judas: Now we?ll start again please.
I think He?s made His point now!
He?s even gone a bit too far to get the message home.
It?s gotten way too frightening He never called a vote. Now we?ll start again please.

Mary: Could we start again please? Judas: Now we?ll start again please.
Mary: Could we start again please? Judas: Now we?ll we start again please.
Both: Now we?ll/Could we start again.....

Mary reenters the Upper Room

Jesus is going to the garden. I must do it now. It will all be over soon.

Lights go out. In the darkness we hear the voice of Jesus.
(Jesus:)
Judas, you betray the Son of Man with a kiss?

There will be a few moments of silence (or music, not sure which yet, for this to sink in).

Judas staggers into a lighted area to the left of the main stage. Out of breath, and almost faint, he clings to a pillar for support.

The rabble in the courtyard are saying Jesus is to be put to death. How can that be? You are our leaders, our Chief Priests, but you have no power to condemn Him to death! I would have never have betrayed Him to you had I known it meant His death. Here ? take back the money and release him to me. I will take Jesus away ? to Egypt? to Greece ? far away from Jerusalem.

(Priests:)
- Go away you fool. Jesus must die. It is the punishment of blasphemers. He has proclaimed Himself the Son of God.

?I have betrayed innocent blood!

(Priests:)
- What is that to us?

Judas throws the money, which rolls all over the floor, under the very feet of those present. He staggers bask to the main stage.

? Oh my God, my Lord! I never, never thought it would go this far. I am damned. I have betrayed the Son of God. There can be no forgiveness for me.
Why did I do it? Why? Oh Holy Son of God why did I do this to you? My reasons will be speculated from now till the death of time. There will no name as black as that of Judas Iscariot.
Don?t ask me my reasons. What does it matter? God?s Son is still to be crucified. Don?t ask me my reasons, better ask yourself your reasons. Why have you betrayed Him?
You think you are nothing like me. You are me. I was once you.
I hear even Peter denied Him. His beloved Peter. He will forgive Peter. He will forgive you. He will never forgive me. I am beyond absolution.

Judas sings brokenly - Hurry up and tell me this is just a dream! oh! Could we start again please?

Judas subtly takes the chord of his robe in his hand as he utters the last line of the song. Caressingly he contemplates the rope in his hand before hurrying from the room. After a moment, the lights come up and service is over.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 01:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

That is awesome! Well written, my dear.
PM               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

I've read it several times now and it still gives me a shiver how exactly to the point and urgent your description and characterisation of Judas Ischariot is...and very well written.
Elspeth, great, great job!

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Elspeth 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 09:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

Thanks so much guys. rolleyes.gif
barddas 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 12:18 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

Elspeth...
I'd like to make note that I enjoyed the skript. ( yup, the heathen reads these threads tongue.gif laugh.gif )

I really liked the duality of Judas' inner fight... well done. thumbs_up.gif

Cheers

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
Elspeth 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 05:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

Hey old fool!

What's with the heathen comment?

old woman

(gotta tell you - yesterday's episode was when grandpa left grandma 'cause she was jealous of the Baldwin ladies.Too funny)
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 07:31 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I start every day with the Waltons. biggrin.gif 7:00a.m-8a.m., then it's time to get ready for work. Ooops! Off Topic! Sorrrrry, well not really! biggrin.gif Grandpa Walton was my favorite. I just luved that old man. I cried when he died. sad.gif

If I'm not mistaken, the movie, Judas will be on tv. Not sure of the time or how accurate it is. Maybe ABC network. If I find anymore about it, will post it.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
maisky 
Posted: 21-Feb-2004, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

Judas Iscariot? Doesn't he play for the Lakers? A pretty good forward. unsure.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 23-Feb-2004, 09:02 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

QUOTE (maggiemahone1 @ Feb 20 2004, 09:31 PM)
I start every day with the Waltons. biggrin.gif 7:00a.m-8a.m., then it's time to get ready for work. Grandpa Walton was my favorite. I just luved that old man. I cried when he died. sad.gif

Me too, me too!!!
PMEmail Poster                
Elspeth 
Posted: 23-Feb-2004, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

I've been watching the one on at ten o'clock AND quilting (she adds before barddas yells at me again) When I get that puppy done I am gonna get a digital camera and take a picture and post it. The quilt that took five years to make.
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 01-Mar-2004, 09:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

"After a pause, Judas stumbles out exit (left side) of UR
(Judas:) Jesus knows ? how could he know? It must be tonight. They must do it tonight. To wait would only cause more deaths.
Deaths! What am I saying? The Sanhedrin have no power to put a man to death. That must come from Rome. No, they will hurt him, but they cannot kill him. After they have made their spectacle?. after they bruise and beat Him?. . When they show everyone He?s just a man, then they?ll let Him go and we?ll go away from here. Start over again. Not dream so high this time."

El, I was just re-reading what you wrote and simply must say that this part really touches my heart... that's the way I always thought it might have been, where he didn't think things wouldn't actually end with Christ's death but instead just some kind of change in direction...

Good work, my dear!

PM               
Elspeth 
Posted: 01-Mar-2004, 09:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

Thank you so much. I shared what you wrote with my actor. Knowing others agree with the direction will help give him confidence to play the part convincingly.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]