Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Firefox - Alternative Windows Browser!
CelticRadio 
Posted: 17-Sep-2004, 07:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
255,938 Gold!

With all of the negative press Microsoft has been receiving with their operating system and browser vulnerbilities, more attention is being paid to alternative operating systems and browsers.

A very good alternative to IE is the new Mozilla Firefox web browser. It is in preview and has alot of nice features - like built in pop-up stopper and a very small download, fast and efficient browsing!

Firefox is also very compatible with CelticRadio.net. The only issues at this time appear to be some minor positioning of tables and borders which we will clear up.

The other exciting feature is trouble free playing of Highlander Radio! I found the web-based player to load much faster and when using winamp to play the stream, it appears to use the MP3 PRO plugin on the basic free live365 accounts! I also liked using winamp to play the stream because of the visualization plugins which look very cool on screen.

All and all a good alternative browser if you are tired of IE! Something to check out this weekend! smile.gif

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

I've been tired of IE for a long time, I use Opera, that's not bad either.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 08:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

ok, I couldn't resist trying it, not bad....

2 things I don't like:

1. new window tabs are in the taskbar, with other programs running this gets crowded, I prefer them up the top as in Opera.

2. Themes are not so great, I'd love to see a celtic theme!

I do like:
the way it imported all my Opera bookmarks, very quick.
cut and paste a page into Word and it retains formatting, unlike Opera.
Taliesin 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 10:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Central Valley, California, USA

male

I have been using Mozilla Firefox for several months now, and with the extensions available, I have found it to be a truly amazing browser. I love how it blocks activeX controls. While Windows XP SP2 has implemented this into IE, (stopping a problem they started), Firefox has blocked this all along. smile.gif

Also, in Firefox, new tabs for me are displayed at the top of the browsing area, not in the taskbar. That's interesting that they appeared in the taskbar for you. You may want to consider getting the TabBrowser Extensions extension. It allows you to control the behavior of the tabs very nicely. http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_tabex...ensions.html.en

Thank you for posting this news. The more people that use alternative browsers, the better off people will be. smile.gif

-Chris

--------------------
-Taliesin

A Scotsman Abroad
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Taliesin 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 10:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Oh, and I am hoping to be making a knotwork theme when I get some time. smile.gif I don't know when it will be, but I'll make it available on my site and post on this board when it happens.

-Chris
CelticRadio 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 11:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
255,938 Gold!

Don't know why Firefox works so well with live365, but compared to IE, the web based player loaded 400% faster and it defaulted to winamp which sounded simply fantastic with the mp3pro plugin installed.

Also, I should not have been able to use the mp3pro plug without signing into live365, so perhaps they have not plugged this hole yet! wink.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
talleyrand 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 01:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

QUOTE (Tassiecelt @ 18-Sep-2004, 09:52 AM)
1. new window tabs are in the taskbar, with other programs running this gets crowded, I prefer them up the top as in Opera.

I've become ... more pleased with Firefox than I initially was. I'm a big fan of Opera, have been since version 5 something and I still think it rocks the socks any other browser but since gmail isn't compatible with Opera, I'm using FF more these days. They have extensions where you can get tabbed browsing and mouse gestures enabled, the two features I love most about Opera. If only someone would port the Strange Truth skin, then I'd be pretty happy. Ok, that and the whole wand password manager thing. But I will say you can't beat FireFox for the price. wink.gif

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
mingkee 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 08:02 AM
Quote Post

An Asian Celt from Hong Kong
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Brooklyn, NY

male

I've been mozilla user (firefox is a part of it) for over 4 years since 0.7
I don't like IE, due to some bad behavior
I transited from Netscape 4.x to mozilla, even the earliest stage (even tried the "milestone" ver)

--------------------
a Chinese Celt from Hong Kong
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.
dfilpus 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 03:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

I've been using Firefox as my browser for some time now and have been happy with the speed.

However, when I upgraded to Firefox Preview 1.0, the Celtic Radio website causes Firefox to hang. Oh well .....

It still is a useful browser. Pop up blocking and tabbed browsing are good features.

--------------------
Näkemiin

Dave (SCA: Geoffrey Genour of Carney)
Protector of Bits and Bytes, Third cousin once removed to Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light

user posted image

Help out with the site! Win prizes!
Suggest videos at VideoCelt.com

Check out the outstanding video - Merchant Marine by Celtae
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 04:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

I found FF seized up every so often, maybe some conflict, also it would occasionally take ages to load page. Sorry but I think Opera is much faster and more stable on my Dell notebook.

Wish they had a celtic theme, now that would be nice.
mingkee 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 07:22 PM
Quote Post

An Asian Celt from Hong Kong
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Brooklyn, NY

male

well
since I don't know how to make mozilla theme
or I make a celtic style
how does it sound?
since mozilla and firefox are getting more and more popular around the world
celtic theme will be out someday
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 20-Sep-2004, 06:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

I've never been one for themes on a web browser byself, but a Celtic theme for Firefox... hmmm, I might have to try that. Of course, first, I've got to get all the updated libs I need to run it. Fun stuff. That's why I'm still on Mozilla 1.5 here. it was the latest thing I'd trust when I built this system...

Also, if Firefox defaults look as bad in Linux as they did under Solaris 9 a little bit ago, I may *have* to load a theme on it. eech. But then Solaris does only come with Netscape 4. Maybe the toolkits just have old graphics too....

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Taliesin 
Posted: 20-Sep-2004, 11:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I actually don't mind the standard theme for Firefox. Nice and clean-looking. Now, the defaults for Mozilla and Netscape 7 are horrid looking!

While Mozilla Firefox and the Mozilla Browser are put out by the same organization, they are different browsers.

The PR of Firefox seems to break a lot of stuff. They will be working on it. I would expect another release very soon.

I have no idea how to make a theme, but I do a lot of graphics work, so making a theme can't be TOO difficult.

I use the Lila theme for Firefox right now, but a Celtic theme is somthing I am wanting a LOT right now. smile.gif Just started another class, unfortunately, so my time will be in short supply while I learn to program in Java for the next 5 weeks. smile.gif

-Chris
ErikDeckers 
Posted: 20-Sep-2004, 01:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

Realm: Orlando, FL

male

I've actually started using Maxthon, which is another browser much like Opera (tabs at the top of the window, instead of the bottom toolbar).

It also plugs up a lot of security holes that IE leaves open (although SP 2 solved many of them).

Of course, the best way to plug all Microsoft security holes? Switch to Macintosh!! There are 33 virii that have been written for the Mac, and about 1/4 of them were date-dependent and are therefore no longer even a concern.

Erik Deckers

--------------------
[color=blue][b]Erik Deckers
Visit my weekly humor blog
Laughing Stalk[COLOR=blue]
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 20-Sep-2004, 08:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Ya know what surprises me? I've never heard of a Linux virus. From what I understand, any Linux virus scanners are mainly geared to scanning mail to protect Windows boxen. I'm sitting here evaluating the latest firefox while I read the forums. The new order on the context menu for the tabs will take some getting used to (They're already up above the page window under Linux btw. Just like Mozilla 1.5) And I've got to replace the back/forward/reload/stop/home icons. Also, the default colors in the menus could be better. A little harder to see what's selected than it should be. Other than that, all the things I always liked about Mozilla.org is here.

Too early to decide for sure though. Will probably end up migrating.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]