Posted: 28-Dec-2003, 05:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

female

You're welcome, Terence; Happy New Year! smile.gif

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 28-Dec-2003, 10:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

QUOTE (maidsmum @ Dec 27 2003, 01:55 PM)
God I feel (and probably sound) old!!![/font]

Oh, Child! You are still a babe if you have wee ones at home. Don't cut yourself that deeply. Time will do that way too soon lol.gif

--------------------
JaneyMae

Tangle Goblinwitch: She is only seen in the enchanted moment between sleep and waking

"Never miss a chance to shut up." Will Rogers

Leprechauns, castles, good luck and laughter.
Lullabies, dreams and love ever after.
A thousand welcomes when anyone comes...
That's the Irish for You!
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Elspeth 
Posted: 29-Dec-2003, 06:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (single speed @ Dec 28 2003, 02:01 AM)

Just when I thought that it was safe to be cynical, I read your inspiring recipe. Thanks. Happy New Year!

thumbsup.gif beer_mug.gif

Cheers to all!

terence[/SIZE][/color][/font]

Wait, don't take my New Year's cynicism from me! tongue.gif

Actually I don't find myself being cynical, probably because I never expected this world to be much more than it is. Even Jesus said the poor will be with you always. Perfection isn't for this world and human nature doesn't change. So, while the crimes and misdemeanors may change, the amount of events that provoke cynicism or inspire hope remain unaltered.

I find New Year's Eve to be poignant, I always have, even as a child. There is such a sad quality to the night, something I?ve never quite put my finger on. A leaving behind perhaps? A knowing things will never again be the same? The fear of leaving the familiar?

Whatever it is, it has always left me with a sense of sad poignancy.

Waxing poetic in this pre-dawn hour.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
tartangal 
Posted: 29-Dec-2003, 07:52 AM
Quote Post

QUEEN OF SCOTLAND
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Glasgow, Scotland

female

I know that it almost amounts to heresy in these parts but I'm not staying up for the bells at Hogmanay.I have to work for the next 4 days (12.5 hour shift) which means I have to get up at 5 am. sad.gif
The old bones just can't take that amount of abuse on top of a late night. rolleyes.gif
The hospitals here are always busy at that time of year so I'll need all the sleep that I can get!!

--------------------
Jules

As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death.
Leonardo da Vinci (1452 - 1519)
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 29-Dec-2003, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Going to bed BEFORE THE BELLS? unsure.gif And do you really think your family will let you sleep? biggrin.gif

I remember Hogmanay at A&E in RIE (don't ask, long story!).... FRIGHTENING! They kept mattresses out in a storeroom because they always run out of trolleys, or so the doctor I was dating told me.....!

You do a vital job, for very little thanks, Jules. So please accept mine - and I am sure you will not take it amiss when I say I hope I don't need to call on your services, any time soon!
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 29-Dec-2003, 11:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

There is a new bubbly out this year that comes from Nappa Valley and comes in a blue bottle and has a blue gum ball in the bottom of it.
Celebrate 2004!

Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
single speed 
Posted: 29-Dec-2003, 06:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: San Antonio, Tx

male

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Dec 29 2003, 07:29 AM)

I find New Year's Eve to be poignant, I always have, even as a child. There is such a sad quality to the night, something I?ve never quite put my finger on. A leaving behind perhaps? A knowing things will never again be the same? The fear of leaving the familiar?

I have never thought of it as a sense of loss, but I think that this is part of my cynicism. Much of my disdain for the day comes my own mortality. As I grow older, NYE becomes more of a "couples" holiday. As a single person, the evening becomes less attractive.

Oddly enough, last year, I was in a serious relationship at New Years. However, I caught a cold a few days after Christmas. I ended up spending NYE at home sick. (Alone, I might add).

Happy New Year everyone. Pardon my Grinchiness.

terence

Wait! On second thought, I just received an invitation to a party! I'm going.

--------------------
If you were accused of being a Christian, would your enemies have enough evidence to convict you?
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him keep pace with the music he hears, however measured or far away.
-Henry David Thoreau

Pray as if everything depended on God, and work as if everything depended upon man.
- Cardinal Francis J. Spellman
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 29-Dec-2003, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Dec 29 2003, 07:29 AM)
QUOTE (single speed @ Dec 28 2003, 02:01 AM)

Just when I thought that it was safe to be cynical, I read your inspiring recipe.  Thanks.  Happy New Year!

thumbs_up.gif  beer_mug.gif

Cheers to all!

terence[/SIZE][/color][/font]

Wait, don't take my New Year's cynicism from me! tongue.gif

Actually I don't find myself being cynical, probably because I never expected this world to be much more than it is. Even Jesus said the poor will be with you always. Perfection isn't for this world and human nature doesn't change. So, while the crimes and misdemeanors may change, the amount of events that provoke cynicism or inspire hope remain unaltered.

Whatever it is, it has always left me with a sense of sad poignancy.

Waxing poetic in this pre-dawn hour.

Elspeth,

I know what you are talking about. I also felt that way for a rather long time. Not in the way of loss directly but in the sense that something's going to be over irretrievably.

Now I'm thinking different. It's no longer an end but a new beginning; the moment to say "yes" to the fact that another year filled with life is waiting for me - and I'm curious how it will be and ready to live it - each single day!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Kasia
Posted: 30-Dec-2003, 12:50 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

[FONT=Geneva]
New Year's Eve has never met any of the great expectations that folks seem to have.Too many fools out tempting fate just for the hell of it.
I think himself and I will just stay home with a nice bottle of something, and wait for Guy Lombardo to come o TV.

New Year's Day always seems to be the longest, dullest , darkest day of the year because my family is always holed inside in front of the television. This year will be no exception with USC in the Rose Bowl. I will be continuing my one real New Year's tradition: taking down the holiday tree.
sigh...
Kasia

BriMonster 
Posted: 30-Dec-2003, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

male

Living in Manhattan there is no way you would catch me even close to Times Square, or watching Dick Clark on TV. The Upper East Side is known to be home to a few Irish bars, and by a few I mean a lot! I think me and my sweetie will fight our way into our favorite pub on the early side and come home to toast the New Year together, and alone. I'll be travelin' in the morn and I'd rather do it feeling human than hungover. Cheers!
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 30-Dec-2003, 08:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (single speed @ Dec 29 2003, 07:31 PM)

I have never thought of it as a sense of loss, but I think that this is part of my cynicism. Much of my disdain for the day comes my own mortality. As I grow older, NYE becomes more of a "couples" holiday. As a single person, the evening becomes less attractive.

Oddly enough, last year, I was in a serious relationship at New Years. However, I caught a cold a few days after Christmas. I ended up spending NYE at home sick. (Alone, I might add).

Happy New Year everyone. Pardon my Grinchiness.

terence

Wait! On second thought, I just received an invitation to a party! I'm going.

A party!

How exciting!

We haven't done parties on NYE since BC (before children). Yes, it's fun to spend NYE with them, but then I spend every day with them. Being free enough to go to a party sounds like a lot of fun to me. (pardon the grinchiness of a stuck in the house mother)

Have a good time single speed and drink one for me.
Elspeth 
Posted: 30-Dec-2003, 09:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

I was just thinking of the last time I wasn't home on NYE. It would have been six years ago. I was in the hospital. Our youngest was born on Dec. 30th. rolleyes.gif Do I know how to party or what?
3Ravens 
Posted: 30-Dec-2003, 08:02 PM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: south coastal Virginia

female

Jules,
I'll be in my hospital, doing my 12.5, and thinking of you doing your 12.5! I will actually be at work on New Years Eve, since I work nights. I only have to work 3 in a row, though. Got some of the non-exploding crackers to share with the other nurses and the patients. Wheee! What a party! laugh.gif

--------------------
If age is a learning experience, I should be a genius by now...
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
  Posted: 30-Dec-2003, 08:12 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (JaneyMae @ Dec 28 2003, 11:43 AM)
Oh, Child! You are still a babe if you have wee ones at home. Don't cut yourself that deeply. Time will do that way too soon lol.gif

You tell them, Granny! wheelchair.gif

I bet that we "older folks" still remember how to party! wine.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Gormonbozia 
Posted: 31-Dec-2003, 03:52 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacWillow

male

I am organizing a party at my home only for my friends:)My parents are here to, but they will be with us. Happy New Year everyone!!!!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]