MDF3530 
  Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 02:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

QUOTE (Siusaidh Blues @ Dec 26 2003, 01:48 PM)
My husband, two kids and I usually spend New Years Eve at my parents house.  We have some good food (usually we grill steaks), shoot pool in their family room too, then at night we shoot fireworks out in the street in their neighborhood.  We accumulate fireworks during the year on trips to Florida or Alabama, then shoot them off New Years Eve (and save a few for the Fourth of July celebration too)...

Fireworks are illegal here in Illinois. I think some idiot kid of a politically well-connected person lost a few fingers by holding a firecracker in his hand back in the 50s or 60s. You can't even get party poppers or snaps here anymore. The law only really gets enforced around the 4th of July and New Years. They are legal in Indiana though. You oughtta see the various police departments here in Illinois (including the Chicago Police Department) that sit on this side of the Illinois-Indiana border to catch the dopes who go to the first fireworks store/stand on the other side. I see those morons getting pulled over as soon as they cross back into Illinois and I laugh at their stupidity.

I'll tell you how I beat the system:

1. I don't go to the fireworks places in the "border towns". I'd be a sitting duck.
2. I come back on a different route than I went in on. Only fools take the same route.
3. I buy my 4th of July fireworks in April and my New Years fireworks in September. Do it while they aren't paying attention.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
valpal59 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 06:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

We are going to have a small party with our closest friends. Good food, a few drinks, and Dick Clark. It will also be a celebration for Rob & I. We met 25 yrs. ago on New Year's Eve. inlove.gif We wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
jaynebylak 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 07:02 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacElder

Realm: North Carolina

female

Unfortunately I have to work New Years Eve. Off new years day. They say that what ever one is doing at midnight....they will be doing the same thing all 2004. Hummm why cant I be kissing my man. (sigh). Everyone have a Happy and Safe New Year's
Jayne sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 07:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

We stay home (with four kids big suprise) play games, eat fun food and then at midnight we go out and bang pots and pans and yell Happy New Year until all the neighborhood dogs start barking. No one's called the police on us yet. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Keltic 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 11:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

We leave in the morning for Niagara Falls for a couple of days to visit my Dad and redo Christmas. Then we head up to our friends house on the Bruce Peninsula in Ontario (between Georgian Bay and Lake Huron) for New Years. They live on fifty forested acres where the closest Tim Horton's donuts (it's a Canadian thing) is 15 minutes away. In other words, sheer isolation!!

Happy New Year everyone!!

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
High Plains Drifter 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 11:47 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Colorado

male

My bride and I will probably do what we've for done for probably twenty or so of the last thirty three years, sit down with a drink in front of the tv waiting for Dick Clark and fall asleep about ten thirty, wake ap at about twelve thirty and go to bed. Real party animals we are.

--------------------
Be Mindful
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 11:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

This year we are going to friends where other friends will be. We will probably hoist a couple and play a game or two and visit. One of the couples moved away a while back but are coming home. After 35 years we just do what's simplest.

--------------------
JaneyMae

Tangle Goblinwitch: She is only seen in the enchanted moment between sleep and waking

"Never miss a chance to shut up." Will Rogers

Leprechauns, castles, good luck and laughter.
Lullabies, dreams and love ever after.
A thousand welcomes when anyone comes...
That's the Irish for You!
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 12:35 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Actually, if I had it my way I would stay home and watch Dick Clark and the big ball drop, but as it is friends invited us to their home to celebrate so guess we need to be gracious and accept. sad.gif
single speed 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 09:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: San Antonio, Tx

male

I'll just relay at home, have a few sips of Tullimore, and go to bed. For excitement, I'll rent a video.

I am not a big fan of New Years Eve. It reminds me of how little the human race has progressed in solving its social, economic, and polictcal problems.

terence

--------------------
If you were accused of being a Christian, would your enemies have enough evidence to convict you?
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him keep pace with the music he hears, however measured or far away.
-Henry David Thoreau

Pray as if everything depended on God, and work as if everything depended upon man.
- Cardinal Francis J. Spellman
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 10:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Dec 27 2003, 12:35 AM)
Actually, if I had it my way I would stay home and watch Dick Clark and the big ball drop, but as it is friends invited us to their home to celebrate so guess we need to be gracious and accept. sad.gif

I'm with you and the staying home. We are going to friends as we will be with folks we haven't seen in a year or two. It's one of those obligation things. wink.gif

I just wish one and all a safe New Year's Eve newyear.gif
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Annabelle 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 10:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

I never go out for New Years Eve.

I have always felt it's like taking a Smith and Wesson and putting 3 bullets into the 6 chamber's and playing russian roullet. There are so many intoxicated people on the road that night. beer_mug.gif

I firmly believe if you don't have to go out on that night don't.
If you can walk to the party, go!

I'm always so tired from all of the hu-ha the holiday's bring that I'd like a quiet holiday like New Year's to get me ready to go jump back in the human race the first of the week.

Also If you go to bed and get a good night sleep that night, did you ever notice New Year's day still arrives whether you stayed up for it or not!
Funny how that works hua? thumbs_up.gif

Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (single speed @ Dec 27 2003, 10:34 AM)

I am not a big fan of New Years Eve. It reminds me of how little the human race has progressed in solving its social, economic, and polictcal problems.

terence

So should we pose the next question - how many find New Year's Eve to be depressing? *raising my hand*
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
maidsmum 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 01:55 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

female

New Years eve six years ago I went out to George Square in Glasgow for the bells (I was four months pregnant and stone cold sober). Five years ago I went out for a couple of hours with pals, but rushed home to see my son. Four years ago, my daughter was six days old, so I stayed in with her.

So I havent been out partying for seven New Years Eve's!!! Its impossible to get a baby sitter. Last year we were in bed for 11pm.

We have discussed having a party this year, but since nothing definate was decided I guess it won't be happening. My only hope is that Jools Holland is on - I love watching his show, the rest seems rubbish in comparison.

My pal will call round from around the corner, couple glasses of wine, then goodnight and off to bed will probably be all!!

God I feel (and probably sound) old!!!
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

During this year there have been some far-reaching changes in my life.
So I will stay at home that Eve and Night to reflect about the last year, to draw a line and to start into the New Year with courage and confidence, with clear mind and open heart.

May I offer you a RECIPE FOR THE NEW YEAR:

Take 12 months, polish them clean from bitterness, stinginess, being fuzzy and fear and cut each month into 30 or 31 pieces so that there will be enough for exactly one year.

For every single day put together one portion of work and two portions of humour and merriment. Add three big spoons full of optimism, one portion of tolerance and one grain of irony and a pinch of tact.

Then cover all with plenty of love.

Don't forget to decorate the dish with a wee bunch of little gifts and tokens and serve it daily with cheerfulness - and a fine and refreshing cup of tea!

I wish everyone here a Happy New Year - may your dearest dreams come true!

Take care!

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
single speed 
  Posted: 28-Dec-2003, 01:01 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: San Antonio, Tx

male

QUOTE (gaberlunzie @ Dec 27 2003, 04:30 PM)

May I offer you a RECIPE FOR THE NEW YEAR:

Take 12 months, polish them clean from bitterness, stinginess, being fuzzy and fear and cut each month into 30 or 31 pieces so that there will be enough for exactly one year.

For every single day put together one portion of work and two portions of humour and merriment. Add three big spoons full of optimism, one portion of tolerance and one grain of irony and a pinch of tact.

Then cover all with plenty of love.

Don't forget to decorate the dish with a wee bunch of little gifts and tokens and serve it daily with cheerfulness - and a fine and refreshing cup of tea!

I wish everyone here a Happy New Year - may your dearest dreams come true!

Take care!

Gaberlunzie

Just when I thought that it was safe to be cynical, I read your inspiring recipe. Thanks. Happy New Year!

thumbs_up.gif beer_mug.gif

Cheers to all!

terence
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]