Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
198,871 Gold!

Background: The Napiers have a long and ancient history and are descended, through the Earls of Lennox, from the Celtic royal families of Scotland and Ireland. One suggested derivation of the name is from the officer of the royal household who was in charge of linen, the ‘naperer’. However, there is no evidence to suggest that this title was much used in Scotland, and a more stirring and poetic origin fo the name is offered. A knight of the Earl of Lennox, possibly a younger son, distinguished himself in battle during the reign of William the Lion. After the victory, the king singled out the young knight praising his valour which he said had ‘nae peer’. The earliest certain reference to the name appears in a charter of Malcolm, Earl of Lennox, sometime prior to 1290, which granted lands at Kilmahew in Dunbartonshire to John de Naper. The Napiers were to hold lands at Kilmahew for eighteen generations, until the estate was sold in 1820.

Variations: MacAlowne, Naiper, Napare, Napeir, Naper, Napier, Napper, Neaper, Nepare, Neper.

More Info: http://heraldry.celticradio.net/search.php?id=125

Discussion of this family is welcomed.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteRead My Blog View My Photographs               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
IrishBeachLassie 
Posted: 20-Feb-2009, 10:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Huntington Beach, California

female

Maiden name is Napier; thinking about changing back to Napier; married name is Upton and that's long over. Good to hear some history, my Dad never had much to say about his backgound and passed away early, age 55. All I knew was that he was born in tennesee, had a twin brother who didn't survive after birth, other then that, not much; except that he did some some wrestling in a traveling show and he hopped a freight train to get to California where he met my Mother
I'm glad to be here and I'll be online often.
Darlene
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               View My Space Profile.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]