Posted: 18-Jul-2005, 08:34 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Hi there!

I am a relatively new Potter fan, having only been reading the books for about a month now. I just finished book 6 and would love to discuss it if anyone is interested!

--------------------
Sln agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tr mo chridhe. 'S i Gidhlig cnan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
bigjimhainey 
Posted: 18-Jul-2005, 10:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: South Mississippi

male

I got the book saturday morning and had to work all day so didnt get to devote as much time to reading it as i wanted so i didnt finish until sunday afternoon. but it was worth the wait (although now i gotta wait on her to get it in gear and write the next one). I would love to talk about it and as all the people that i know around here that are gonna read it are still reading it I have no one to really discuss it with.

--------------------
ERIN GO BRAGH

Beware the Celtic Storm

Big Jim Hainey
pretentiouswombat 
Posted: 18-Jul-2005, 11:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Georgia

female

Well, we went to the party at our local Borders Friday night and my 18-year-old won a prize for her costume tongue.gif She went as Tonks. We sprayed her hair pink and she wore a purple tank top that she adorned with iron-on letters to spell out The Weird Sisters and she bought some raver jeans and we sewed patches all over them. This earned her a number 20 in line for the book. Fortunately, her brother and I had the numbers 67 and 68, so we were going to be with the second group to go in to get our books anyway, so we didn't have to wait long. So, Caitlin's receipt for her book says 1 minute after midnight. Cool!

Anyway, I read the book over the weekend, so I'm ready to discuss with anybody whatever y'all are up for.

BTW, my college-aged daughter read the book in 4 hours. Yes, you heard that right. She reads like a fiend. When she was about 16, she read Sho-gun in 2 days.

How about for an opener, what do y'all think about Snape's actions? Do you think he's a turncoat or do you think he's still "in our camp" so to speak? I think Rowling's phrasing is very deliberately done - she leaves things open for him to still have been acting out of revulsion for what he had to do, not necessarily out of revulsion towards Dumbledore.

--------------------
Check out my new blog at www.dilettantesdilemma.blogspot.com
Patti, The Celtic Pretentious Wombat

Feel the Teal! The year is 1599, and a new musical sensation is sweeping the youth of England! Dude! Life is Good! Visit The Lost Boys Online
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
ImmortalAvalon 
Posted: 19-Jul-2005, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacAlder

Realm: North Carolina

female

My niece did the same thing! The book came in the mail in the morning, and she was finished before noon. After which, I snatched the book before my nephew could snag it, lol.

I think Snape is still a good guy. Amittedly, right after I finished the book, I had fantasies about putting him in a room with about 100 dementors, but, now, I've had time to think about it. There is still something that Dumbledore knew that we don't. He already knew that Snape was the one who had told Voldemort the prophecy, and he knew about Snape's exceptional skill at Occlumency (sp?), yet, when he sent Harry for help, he asked him to wake Severus. So, whatever Dumbledore knew that we don't, is powerful enough that would trust Snape against amazing odds.

Dumbledore may be trusting, but he was no fool.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
CelticCoalition 
Posted: 19-Jul-2005, 11:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

male

Well, since we are talking about Dumbledore's end, and Snape, I found a few things very interesting.

First of all, Dumbledore froze Harry right before the door opened, and he allowed himself to be disarmed. Why freeze Harry, when he was under the Cloak? He was weakened...but he really allowed himself to be cornered.

He also plead with Snape. Dumbledore does not plead with anyone in the books, ever.

Finally, during his funeral, while the body was being encased in the tomb, there were a lot of distracting things happening, and a Phoenix rose above the tomb. We all know what phoenixs do.

Perhaps Dumbledore isn't really dead...in fact, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

On a different note, I really enjoyed book 6, but I felt it didn't really have the kick that the other books had. Loking back, it really didn't feel like very much was going on for the majority of the book, especially when so much began happening at the end.

I don't really want to speculate too much, or guess too much, about the next book. I have heard that the last 2 chapters will lay out the last book for those who read close and are clever...but I like being surprised.

Sure hope Harry and Ginny end up back together after everything is finished.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
May those who love us love us
And those who don't love us
May God turn their hearts,
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.
PMEmail Poster               
ImmortalAvalon 
Posted: 19-Jul-2005, 11:43 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacAlder

female

Perhaps Dumbledore isn't really dead

I've been wondering about that myself. It would certainly be the best way for Snape to ingratiate himself with Voldemort and the Death Eaters, AND it would cause them to drop their guard a bit.

Also, the rest of the wizarding has become too complacent in Dumbledore's omnipotence, this really shook them up.
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 19-Jul-2005, 12:35 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Personally I have been toying with the idea that Snape is still firmly on the side of the good guys. Snape had to be the one to do it for several reasons.

1) To convince Lord Voldemort that he was on his side so that he could get in closer and thus be an even more valuable tool to the Order.

2) Snape had to do it so that Draco wouldn't. Everyone knows how important to Dumbledore the children are. He would want to spare Draco from having this first murder on his conscience. Also, this first muder might have been the catalyst Draco would need to push him into following the same path his father did, as a Death Eater. Notice how much time Dumbledore devoted to keeping Draco from doing it. He was trying to coax him to the light side as well as stalling for time for Snape to get there.

3) We already know that Snape is good at creating new spells (the notes he made in Harry's Potions book as the Half Blood Prince show this). Could Snape and Dumbledore have devised some new spell that would allow DD to come back at some future point?

OK, so who is R.A.B.? I think it is either Borgin or Burke. Lord Voldemort (LV) worked for him for a while. They would most likely have learned at least a little about LV during that time. We never see Mr. Burke, only Mr. Borgin (in both Chamber of Secrets and Half Blood Prince). The letter says that RAB was expecting to die.
ImmortalAvalon 
Posted: 19-Jul-2005, 01:11 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacAlder

female

That's a good one. I was thinking maybe Regulus Black.
pretentiouswombat 
Posted: 19-Jul-2005, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Georgia

female

On the RAB note, I was thinking Regulus Black, also.

More later - I'm sneaking a peak at the forums whilst at work. rolleyes.gif
bigjimhainey 
Posted: 19-Jul-2005, 10:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: South Mississippi

male

Ok i dont know about the RAB but i do have a theory much along the lines everyone else expressed about snape. Why was he almost begging snape when he didnt beg from ANYONE. also why didnt they take the body as a trophy. just a lot of things that happened that i thought about after i read the book made me wonder.
The whole book kept swerving on me which doesnt usually happen. I normally can kinda tell whats happening but this one was not like that at all.
susieq76 
Posted: 20-Jul-2005, 02:06 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

I think that once Snape made that Unbreakable Vow to Draco's mom, it was all set in stone. While I did not fully know what was going to happen, I knew it meant a huge amount. While I have thoroughly defended Snape to others at different points in the other books, I wanted very much to think badly of him after this. But I can't completely hate him. Because I have to consider the fact that the whole way through the books, when push came to shove, Snape put himself in harms' way before letting something happen to some of the students at Hogwarts - even though he despised Harry, he still jumped in front of him when he almost was attacked by Lupin. When he made an Unbreakable Vow (and we learn from Ron what that entails), if he doesn't do what he promised (which is protect Draco, help him, and carry out his task if he can't), he will die. He obviously knew what Draco had to do. And yet he still made the promise. Which could lead one to think that he was willing to do that again, to protect a child. On the other hand, any sane person would not have made that promise, and would not have killed someone else needlessly in order to survive, especially Dumbledore. So who really knows.
While I liked this book, I wasn't thrilled with it. It was nowhere near as gut-wrenching and intense as book 5 was. Whereas I sobbed through the last two chapters of book 5, I barely shed a tear when book 6 was closing. I just couldn't feel as emotionally involved, despite the horrible outcome (which Rowling ought to be beaten with a limp noodle for, IMHO!!). It really showcased her talent as a writer, though. And I have to say that I was very pleased with the continuing development of Harry's character. But I left the book feeling that there was no way it could all be neatly wrapped up in just one more book. While this book resolved some things, I felt like the next book would have to be huge in order to cover everything that needed to be covered. And it was interesting for the lack of action going on during the book. I don't know. I guess I would say I was ambivalent about the book, mostly. Part of me would say that I loved it, and another part would say that I didn't like it so much. And more importantly, what will Harry (and we) do without Dumbledore? And can someone please tell me why J.K. Rowling hinted that the Half-Blood Prince would have the description that was applied to Rufus Scrimgeour, and then make Snape the Half-Blood Prince?? I seem to remember reading in several places that she said the Half-Blood Prince would have 'X' description, but then Snape blew that out of the water with his parting statement to Harry......

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
ImmortalAvalon 
Posted: 20-Jul-2005, 11:00 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacAlder

female

... I barely shed a tear when book 6 was closing.

I felt the same way. My niece cried when she finished the book, but I got more choked up when Harry and Dumbledore were in that shed talking about Sirius than when Dumbledore "died".

To me, this book fell flat. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed parts of it... that scene in the shed, Dumbledore and the Dursleys, Harry back talking Snape in class, etc. I also had visions of Tony Blair being confronted with a Minister of Magic and a talking painting, lol. And the tension between Ron and Hermione has been building for quite a while, so, by Half-Blood Prince, that doesn't hold much interest to me either.

This book had such potential for emotional development and feeling, but, for me, it just wasn't there.
MKOC19 
Posted: 21-Jul-2005, 05:46 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacElder

female

Like all of JK Rowling's books, there is more there than what meets the eye and I think that it is more so with this book. JK Rowlings said that HP6 is her favorite of the series so far and I am wondering why this might be so. She also said that there would be more answers in this book than questions and in some way, for me, it is the other way around.

I love the Harry Potter Series, but I don't think I or anyone will be able to fully appreciate HP6 until the series is compete. Than we will know and understand all of the things that she has been hinting at and we will be able to see how great of a write she really is.

bye1.gif Mary
PMEmail Poster                
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 25-Jul-2005, 12:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Pursuing happiness at 'The Shire' in western Georgia where hummingbirds buzz & horses graze

female

blink.gif
Whoa - I was going to read everyone's posts, but right away I see some spoilers!! That's okay, but I'm only about 3/4 through and am enjoying it so much, I don't want to know what happens next until I read it meself thanks.

So I'm going to leave now (and go read more!) but let me just say that I'm enjoying this book immensely! My daughter bought her own copy, the Scholastic one with the cool illustrations (she didn't like my copy, the adult edition from the UK - no sketches inside at all) so we're reading it at the same time and talking about what's going on. She got mad at me at dinner last night because I said "How do you like the scuffle between Dobby and Kreacher?" and she hadn't read that far yet!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Siobhan

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
CelticCoalition 
Posted: 25-Jul-2005, 02:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

So here's something I've decided to toss out there and ask your opinions on.

Harry and Dumbledore go to the cave to find one of Voldemorts artifacts. There, they find the necklace. My question, do you think this was the location of the necklace already found earlier in this book? That's what I think.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt