Posted: 30-Sep-2008, 09:44 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Northern Plains
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

Dogshirt I will definitely have a hunter's orange vest on around your area!

We DO NOT wear orange! If they can't see you they can't STOP you!

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Jillian 
Posted: 30-Sep-2008, 09:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Pennsylvania

female

Flora,

We can be Annie Oakly types - with beer!

Jillian beer_mug.gif beer_mug.gif beer_mug.gif beer_mug.gif

--------------------

"Disappointments are inevitable. Discouragement is a choice."
stoirmeil 
Posted: 01-Oct-2008, 11:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Ahem. tongue.gif
Water.
Lots of rice and red lentils, which cook faster, need less soaking, and seem to be kinder on the insides than beans. Lots of different spices to vary the flavor of lentils and rice. if it's a disaster, it's gonna be a gourmet disaster. Peanut butter -- several 10-lb tubs, and something like hardtack, that lasts long. Bottled salsa, as well as the usual canned goods, and several ristras of dried chilis, which are good for resistance to colds and flu, and also hold their vitamin C in case fresh veggies and fruit are hard to get.

If it came to it -- I mean really stocking against a siege during chaos -- yes, some kind of firearm and a lot of ammo. I can learn to shoot one when and if I need to use it, I suppose. (Dogshirt is either laughing at me, cussing, or taking a long pull at his drink as he reads that. ) smile.gif

JC -- Devil Dogs are good, but I think Twinkies last even longer. If you saw the little animated film WALL-E this summer, you remember that that's what the robot is feeding his pet roach, 700 years after the last human is gone. laugh.gif

Any of you guys read Cormac McCarthey's "The Road"? I believe they have made it into a film with Viggo Mortenson, which ought to be something to see. In that book you see the man and his boy find and break into a cache that has everything one could want squirreled away against a nuclear attack, including a roll of (useless) krugerrands -- and left completely intact, because the family never made it to the shelter.
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 01-Oct-2008, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

Ahem. 
Water.
Lots of rice and red lentils, which cook faster, need less soaking, and seem to be kinder on the insides than beans. Lots of different spices to vary the flavor of lentils and rice. if it's a disaster, it's gonna be a gourmet disaster. Peanut butter -- several 10-lb tubs, and something like hardtack, that lasts long. Bottled salsa, as well as the usual canned goods, and several ristras of dried chilis, which are good for resistance to colds and flu, and also hold their vitamin C in case fresh veggies and fruit are hard to get.

If it came to it -- I mean really stocking against a siege during chaos -- yes, some kind of firearm and a lot of ammo. I can learn to shoot one when and if I need to use it, I suppose. (Dogshirt is either laughing at me, cussing, or taking a long pull at his drink as he reads that. ) 

JC -- Devil Dogs are good, but I think Twinkies last even longer. If you saw the little animated film WALL-E this summer, you remember that that's what the robot is feeding his pet roach, 700 years after the last human is gone.

Any of you guys read Cormac McCarthey's "The Road"? I believe they have made it into a film with Viggo Mortenson, which ought to be something to see. In that book you see the man and his boy find and break into a cache that has everything one could want squirreled away against a nuclear attack, including a roll of (useless) krugerrands -- and left completely intact, because the family never made it to the shelter.

Not laughing Darlin', applauding! wink.gif

beer_mug.gif

monksplay1958 
Posted: 01-Oct-2008, 08:28 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

Realm: Michigan

female

Interesting you should ask.....been thinking lately about going to the grocery store and stocking up on:
>canned goods-tuna,soup,fruit,vegies,PB,etc.
>powdered milk
>water
>bags of navy beans & split peas (for soup), pinto beans for frijoles (refried beans), red beans (for rice & beans)
>freezer food (mostly meat)

I am seriously thinking about planting a garden in my yard next Spring...that is,
IF I have a house next Spring.

Living on a farm is sounding better all the time.

Melissa
PMEmail Poster               
Jillian 
Posted: 01-Oct-2008, 08:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Pennsylvania

female

Wow Stoirmeil! THAT'S a plan! I don't know what half the foods you mentioned are...but they sound great!

Melissa, I was thinking the same exact thing...adding a garden to my yard!

(note to self...add Stoirmeil and Melissa to the Flora/Jillian Annie Oakly club)

Jillian thumbs_up.gif
Patch 
Posted: 04-Oct-2008, 06:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

At todays gun show, prices were down on used firearms. Ammunition was down a little, rifle and shotgun more than handgun. Tomorrow is the last day and I made out my list. The crowd was good but buyers were few. As I am a member, I may get a table when my shopping is done and see who comes to me wanting to sell.

Slainte,

Patch
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 04-Oct-2008, 06:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Patch @ 04-Oct-2008, 06:33 PM)
At todays gun show, prices were down on used firearms. Ammunition was down a little, rifle and shotgun more than handgun. Tomorrow is the last day and I made out my list. The crowd was good but buyers were few. As I am a member, I may get a table when my shopping is done and see who comes to me wanting to sell.

What's a good, light starter pistol for a little old lady who's got a bit of arthritis in the wrists?
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 05-Oct-2008, 12:13 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

I would recommend the 9MM makarov. Small, compact, economical and easy to shoot. And ammo is easily available.

beer_mug.gif
Patch 
Posted: 05-Oct-2008, 06:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 04-Oct-2008, 07:43 PM)
QUOTE (Patch @ 04-Oct-2008, 06:33 PM)
At todays gun show, prices were down on used firearms.  Ammunition was down a little, rifle and shotgun more than handgun.  Tomorrow is the last day and I made out my list.  The crowd was good but buyers were few.  As I am a member, I may get a table when my shopping is done and see who comes to me wanting to sell.

What's a good, light starter pistol for a little old lady who's got a bit of arthritis in the wrists?

I would agree with Dogshirt. 9mm is adequate and recoil isn't bad at all. I have a Browning and a S&W. In todays market, they are both priced lower than I paid. (that is unusual for firearms but I guess it is a buyers market now.) I have not had the opportunity to fire a Makarov but would expect it to be a good firearm. If you can get the opportunity to test fire it all semi auto of the same manufacture are not equal. Today there are handguns designed for the size of a womans hand and you can get them in colors.

Hope you find a deal!

Slainte,

Patch
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 05-Oct-2008, 07:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Stormeil:

I have to disagree with the lads. I have a 357 which I like better and shoot better with it. The smaller guns are only useful for concealing and carrying about. Since I do not generally go around with a gun I would rather have one that shoots truer. Go to a shooting range perhaps with someone that has several different ones and see what is comfortable for you.

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 05-Oct-2008, 07:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Thank you for the suggestions -- I'm not exactly at the shopping stage, but just exploring the idea. If the economy is going to be jinky, the crime rate is likely to go up again more generally in the city, not just around the drug-trade areas. Got to protect that stockpile of lentils and peanut butter . . . smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 05-Oct-2008, 07:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

I think you are right.

It wasn't till this year that I was serious about a handgun. We were broken into during daylight hours and sometimes I home alone. If things get worse, I really don't like what we might be facing.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 05-Oct-2008, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Along with my "stock pile" I have lowered my profile. My jewelry is locked up and I wear nothing but a watch. My health even helps in that I am so thin that I do not appear to be eating regularly. I do not recommend that one though. The people I have run across that are unprepared through no fault of their own is frightening. There is food available but little help in my state for heating assistance. I have talked with too many who have no heat now and winter is nearly here.

Unfortunately I worry about all of these people and that will probably be my "end".

Slainte,

Patch
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 05-Oct-2008, 07:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I made two trips to the gun show today and covered most of what I wanted. Prices were a little better but there were less people selling today. I have some trade goods now if needed. I did notice they were selling a lot of hand guns. The concealed carry instructors were passing out a lot of literature.

Slainte,

Patch
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt