Posted: 14-Jul-2006, 05:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

QUOTE (Forbes)
President Bush refused to press Israel for a cease-fire in Mideast violence Friday, risking a wider breach with world leaders at a weekend summit already confronting crises with Iran and North Korea.

Flying here from Germany, Bush called the leaders of Lebanon, Egypt and Jordan to explore ways to end three days of furious fighting between Israel and Hezbollah militants in Lebanon. Turning aside complaints that Israel is using excessive force, Bush rejected a cease-fire plea from Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Saniora.

"The president is not going to make military decisions for Israel," White House press secretary Tony Snow said. He said it was unlikely that either side would agree to a cease-fire now.

The eruption of Mideast violence moved prominently onto the agenda of the summit beginning Saturday.

In contrast with Bush's stand, Russian President Vladimir Putin said, "No hostage-takings are acceptable ... but neither is the use of full-scale force in response to these, even if unlawful, actions. We will demand that all sides involved in the conflict immediately stop the bloodshed."

The summit is expected to issue a Mideast declaration, and the United States tried to shape it to be critical of Hezbollah and supportive of Lebanon's fragile government.

French President Jacques Chirac accused Israel of going too far. "One could ask if today there is not a sort of will to destroy Lebanon, its equipment, its roads, its communications," said Chirac, who has tried to patch relations with the U.S. after disagreements over the Iraq war.

Full Article

I have a few of questions.

Over the last, er, um, bunch of years, has or has not the nation of Israel agreed to ceasefires at the request of the United States and the international community?

If you were Israeli, would you feel that continued ceasefires or the failure to act militarily increases or decreases your sovereignty? Is it capitulation?

Since it has become painfully obvious that the religious enemies of Israel have no intention of letting them live in peace, doesn't it stand to reason, especially after their pull out in Gaza, that Israel should at some point take a firm stance, rebuking their enemies?

Considering all the terrorism that has surfaced lo this last decade, doesn't Israel have every right to fight it along with every other nation that so chooses?

These questions may seem somewhat unrelated to the events currently taking place, but I feel they are very relevant to the state of things in the region.

--------------------
The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
~Mark Twain
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 14-Jul-2006, 07:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Israel has a long history of ignoring world opinion and pursuing whichever course is in the best interest of Israel. Though a tiny country, they have a well-equipped and highly competent military.

Regardless of what we think, Israel is going to do whatever the Israeli government feels is in its best interest.

Therefore, the questions you ask are rather moot. Right, wrong or indifferent - no matter what we think - Israel is going to do whatever THEY think is best.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted: 15-Jul-2006, 07:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Every time Israel makes a concession or gives up something, they get nothing in return. Every time a moderate Palestinian movement appears, it is quashed by the hardliners who live for the destruction of tiny Israel.

The carnage is terrible and makes for bad world press, but I would venture to say that most any country would, given the ability and means, respond in kind as Israel has given a similar situation.

I have a dear friend who is Syrian. He is a good man. I spoke with him yesterday on the phone (He is in the states) and he said he will not be returning home anytime soon. He would be forced to rejoin the military. He said, "I will not fight against Israel."

That kind of "uncommon commonsense" would do that region well. You just don't mess with Israel!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Shadows 
Posted: 15-Jul-2006, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

QUOTE (haynes9 @ 15-Jul-2006, 09:36 AM)

...That kind of "uncommon commonsense" would do that region well. You just don't mess with Israel!...

If it is called "Common Sense" then why is it so uncommon!?

The world is in great peril at the moment and unless this esculation of violence is stopped between the Arabs, Isreal, and even amoungst the Arab factions, we have no hope for peace or continued existence!

Our own government continues to help in this esculation by sticking it's collective nose where it does not belong all for the almighty god "OIL" !

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
ballydun 
Posted: 15-Jul-2006, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Albuquerque, New Mexico

female

I really don't believe that oil is the issue. The American government is not that shallow, are they?

This seems to me to becoming almost like a world war, however. No, the US didn't start it. It has been brewing in the middle east for a long time, and the US has until now kept their noses out of it and tried to let them solve it civilly. How many times have the middle eastern countries killed Americans to test us? Think back to Carter, Regan etc. We pretty much tried to keep the peace over there and have failed. Now something needs to be done to help Isreal and the others figure out what can be done. If the Jordanians et. al. are determined to destroy Isreal I think we should help Isreal stand up for themselves.

GO ISREAL

--------------------
[color=red]"I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision." Maya Angelou

PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 15-Jul-2006, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

This has been "brewing for centuries" and is not a modern affliction!

Yes our government is that shallow, it is currently run by "OIL FOLKS"...

I think we should leave all concerned to their own resources and solutions; we ( the USA ) have over-stepped our bounds and need to get our nose out of the mid-east for our own sake!

We need to concentrate our concerns on domestic issues... our own folks... illegal's ..etc.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
maisky 
Posted: 16-Jul-2006, 09:38 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (Shadows @ 15-Jul-2006, 07:50 AM)
QUOTE (haynes9 @ 15-Jul-2006, 09:36 AM)

...That kind of "uncommon commonsense" would do that region well. You just don't mess with Israel!...

If it is called "Common Sense" then why is it so uncommon!?

The world is in great peril at the moment and unless this esculation of violence is stopped between the Arabs, Isreal, and even amoungst the Arab factions, we have no hope for peace or continued existence!

Our own government continues to help in this esculation by sticking it's collective nose where it does not belong all for the almighty god "OIL" !

EEEEK!! World in greater danger than I thought: I find myself agreeing with everything you said!

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Fiddler 
Posted: 16-Jul-2006, 09:57 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacAsh

male

I cannot help but think there is more to all of this than oil. Our government could just as easily ignore the greenes and drill for our own oil right here at home.

There is something much larger at play. Please take time to review the following site and post your opinions here. I am not trying to hijack this topic..honest! I would just like to interject the rviewpoint of someone who has something to say besides Bush lied and Exon owns the government.

My Webpage

--------------------
Support the brotherhood Everyone goes home
PMEmail Poster               
SCShamrock 
Posted: 17-Jul-2006, 12:37 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

Fiddler,

That's a beautiful blog. I will be visiting regularly!! Thanks.

And personally, I don't think oil has anything to do with it.
PMEmail Poster               
jedibowers 
Posted: 17-Jul-2006, 08:57 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Fishers, IN

male

QUOTE (Fiddler @ 16-Jul-2006, 11:57 AM)
I cannot help but think there is more to all of this than oil. Our government could just as easily ignore the greenes and drill for our own oil right here at home.

There is something much larger at play. Please take time to review the following site and post your opinions here. I am not trying to hijack this topic..honest! I would just like to interject the rviewpoint of someone who has something to say besides Bush lied and Exon owns the government.

My Webpage

I think this is about something more than just oil. I don't think Israel even has oil, I might be wrong on that, Lord knows I have been in the past. I would like to see our country start drilling more.

Israel was attacked and had their soldiers taken. They are doing whatever they can to get them back. Sometimes that means by force. There were rumors that their soldier were going to be transported to Syria or Iran, so Israel took out the means of transportation. I think we would do the same if we were in their situation.
PMEmail Poster                
Senara 
Posted: 17-Jul-2006, 09:27 AM
Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

I too think this is much more than the US's need for oil. The fight between Isrealites and the Palestinians and others in that region has been going on since nearly the dawn of time itself. Much of the fight is for religious right/freedom...much more of the fight is that this battle has been waged for nearly 2000+ years with just ceasefires scattered here and there and it is all that the people of these lands know how to live.

There has never been a true peace in this region. Neither side has conceded to allow the others to join them. Neither side is willing to give up the fight. Until they kill each other off, or they strike a solid agreement that will put an end to this war between nations once and for all there will never be peace for either faction. Nothing the international community says or does will change this.

--------------------
Senara-ism : Life is like a theatrical production only you get to be actor, director, and audience all at once. So break a leg, sit back and enjoy the show!

"When the waves are high and the light is dying, raise a glass and think of me..." -Gaelic Storm

Cha chòir dòrn a thoirt an aghaidh pòig.
A kiss ought not to be met with a fist.

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

"I am a crazy, rabid squirrel! I want my cookies!" Hammy-Over the Hedge
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 17-Jul-2006, 02:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Actually, I don't think it's about oil primarily either -- the entire middle east can't be seen as just an oil rag to be tug-of-warred between dogs. (But that's not an index of shallow motivations in this administration.) Israel is a well-armed, well-educated, and still pretty Western-oriented democracy in the middle of none of the above. The "none of the above" happens to be sitting on a whole lot of oil, yes. But it's the strategic positioning and military competence that makes Israel invaluable, and also makes it always and eternally a pain in the patoot to the none of the above. (Apart from the cultural grievances, which are many and deep, but mostly useful for the cannier and less hair-triggered leaders to whip the rank and file populations up with cynically, at need.)

Israel has not always done exactly what it would like. I remember several instances of quite impatient restraint at the request of the American government during the Reagan 80s, and again under Clinton. Hopes were higher then for some kind of meaningful arrangement by now, though, and I don't think such requests will be entertained very often again. For better or (probably) worse.

I don't know exactly what Bush's story is for his reluctance to take a firmer stance on what is clearly overkill escalation, though I can guess -- but there has been a history of American support for the state of Israel from day one. Part of it is a tremendous post-WWII aftermath of guilt that's not only American; but some of it is the peculiarly American evangelical viewpoint that this is the holy land and these are the chosen people, and abandoning them is against some kind of divine plan. (Notice the biblical quality of the phrase used by one of the posters above: Israel should "rebuke her enemies.") Israelis waffle between finding this a true nuisance and pragmatically taking advantage of it, but they do not subscribe to it, and they also don't like depending on what is essentially a lofty, romanticized vision from America's position of privilege that they can't always afford to comply with.

If that sounds like I am anti-Israel, I am certainly not. Quite the contrary. However, the days when people pretend to be dismayed by bold Israeli interventions while secretly applauding them (which was always a hypocritical view that left them in the scapegoat position) are OVER. The entire region is on the edge of blowing sky high, and this series of retaliations is extreme and largely punishing the wrong people. Worse yet, it is futile to hold the Lebanese responsible for harboring Hezbollah when they are in no military or strategic position to expel them. The majority is not Hezbollah-sympathetic, and they'd like them out of there. But Lebanon is chronically in shreds, and acutely yet again: Beirut is trashed. Uprooting Hezbollah is a matter for international, not Israeli, intervention, since it matters to all of us what terrorist clumps do over there (or we would not be in Afghanistan or Iraq). They’re certainly not Israel’s unique problem just because they are sitting on her border. Hezbollah is acting for (probably) Syria, and possibly Iran as well, to provoke a world melee. That's the nature of this new paradigm of wars that are not wars, and combattants that are supranational and virtually unaffiliated to national borders or even land masses. If we (America and her allies, as well as Israel) get snookered into responding as though the provocateurs are situated in a normal way on their own turf, we'll continue to do damage to non-guilty parties that will breed years of costly rehabilitation and resentment.

Israel should certainly do as much as she needs to protect her populations, and this is acutely necessary this week. I've stood right on the Lebanese border -- more beautiful hills you have never seen, and it would make you weep to see it under barrage like this -- and I can tell you that all you have to do is throw rocks downhill out of the Golan to cause huge damage to the upper Galilee. This has to be countered immediately and decisively. But everything is not excusable under the rubric of self-defense. If Israel uses more intensive and punitively destructive force than necessary, whether it’s in Gaza or Lebanon, it's playing into the hands of the elite spin masters and the chronically aggrieved and easily enraged hordes of the enemy.
PMEmail Poster               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 08:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

If Hammas and all Muslem extreamist put down their weapons, there would be peace. If Israel put down their weapons, there'd be no Israel. Just something to think about.

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
Dogshirt 
Posted: 23-Jul-2006, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

Isreal is WRONG, and should be sanctioned and condemned by every civilized country in the world! They have started this with their heavy handed tactics of attacking civilians under the WEAK guise of attacking terrorists. fyou.gif

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 23-Jul-2006, 07:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

QUOTE (Dogshirt @ 23-Jul-2006, 07:42 PM)
Isreal is WRONG, and should be sanctioned and condemned by every civilized country in the world! They have started this with their heavy handed tactics of attacking civilians under the WEAK guise of attacking terrorists. fyou.gif

beer_mug.gif

Lets not forget just who started this current conflict. Hesbula is the one that kidnapped the two soldiers by coming into Israel and abduting them. Every time Israel just sits back and leaves them alone, they Hesbula, Hammas and others just plot their destruction! Listen, you and me should stick to our guns because it seems to be the only way we agree but on that note, do you know or have met anyone from over there in the Middle East? Well I'm married to a Palistinian and she'll tell you, #1 Israel has every right to defend itself. She's a Christian and her family is of a minoriety of even Christian Arabs who recognize Israel. I know that you arn't a Christian so that you don't care ablut that. #2 Her family will tell you that even though Israel isn't perfect in how they've handled things, these Muslims are hell bent on the destruction of Israel and hate them passionatly. Israel has tried to move on peacefully in the past but it's these Muslim freaks who won't let that happen. How can you bargin with people, Muslims, who say without victory there can be no peace. So Israel is dealing with them the way that is needed. They know these nuts and know that they have everything to loose.
Yes I know that innocent are suffering, I have cousin in laws in Lebanon but they are safe in the country side. They said to us via web cam that no they don't like Israel but the definatly hate Hesbula for starting this whole mess. The sad thing is if they go public with this statement, Hesbula or some Muslim would kill them. That's the world they live in over there. Now why don't you and me jsut stick to gun rights because I like they way you think when it comes to guns. I say if these Muslim scum want to start their crap here, I say we should let them know that not only are we armed but are bullets are dipped in pigs blood. That I promas you would scare the @#$* out of them.

PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]