Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What Do You Want Done With Your Remains?
Emmet 
Posted: 17-Feb-2007, 05:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Clearwater, FL

male

My wife says she's going to have me cremated, put in a baggie, and sealed up in my pipe bag; my pipes will become my funerary urn.
Most of the time, she says that she's going to do this after I'm dead.

Several years ago a friend of mine, who was also a piper, died. The minister got up, said that he'd like to tell what a good man Stewart was, but in fact he'd never met the man, and he'd never darkened the door of this church. With that he sat down, and singers and musicians from across Florida who had known Stewart sang and played music; that was the funeral service. One played Stewart's penny whistle, and his little granddaughter strummed out 'Amazing Grace' on the autoharp. Afterwards, he was piped out by his old band, the Tampa Bay Pipes & Drums. Stewart would've liked it.

Afterwards, the church ladies provided the usual dry biscuits and bright red punch in the fellowship hall. I thought that I'd step down to the pub where I remember Stewart best, and have a nice pint. On arrival, I met Martin, who had been on his way to Stewart's funeral, but had been rear-ended on US-19, totaling his car. We commiserated together for our friend Stewart, Martin's car, and dry wakes in general; we decided that when our time comes, we'd much prefer that our friends gather someplace comfortable, where they can sing, play music, reminisce and tell lies, and have a pint or two of good beer, and a plate of proper food if they're hungry...a place kind of like here; our pub.

The next day, Martin had a splitting headache, the next day he was admitted to hospital, and the day after that he died of a cerebral aneurism secondary to his car accident three days ago. Exactly seven days after our conversation, I was piping Martin's wake at our pub. The house was packed; his people had flown in from Falkirk, and greatly appreciated the outpouring of sympathy by all of his friends and neighbors. We even had his brother from Scotland in blue jeans singing Country/Western on a guitar, and me in my kilt piping Scottish airs. Martin and Stewart would've liked it.

That's still how I'd like to be remembered by my friends; not stiffly uncomfortably awkwardly formal, dressed in ties and pinching shoes I never saw them wear in life, with a minister nobody knows and who I've never met reading something from my obituary and mumbling words by rote I don't believe of a faith I don't subscribe to. Besides, most Saturday or Sunday afternoons, the pub needs the business; we'd have the whole place to ourselves.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 18-Feb-2007, 04:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

female

Emmet, I like the way of your last farewell to your friends. I'm very sure this is the way they loved to be remembered and honoured.

As for myself: I'm a registered donator of organs and cells for a long time now, so once my soul has left my earthbound body they can take anything which is still of use for anyone waiting for a transplant. The rest should be cremated.
I have been talking to my family (sons) that I prefer to be buried anonymously. Over here you have to bury the urn, you are not allowed to take it home or to scatter the ashes. So this is no option though I would have loved it that way.

I don't want a grave with a tombstone and such. I don't want my family to be in duty to care for my grave. For those who loved me I will stay where I have been during my lifetime - in their hearts. What more can one ask for?

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Druid_of_Ark 
Posted: 11-Dec-2007, 09:52 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan Cathcart-USA
Group Icon

Group: Order of the Knights
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Perryville, Arkansas

male

I WANT TO BE CREMATED AND MY ASHES SPREAD AT THE STIRLIMG BRIDGE BATTLEFIELD.

--------------------
Blessed Be,
Sir. Raibeart Paris, OGU
PMEmail Poster               
dfilpus 
Posted: 12-Dec-2007, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

I wish to be cremated and my ashes spread by the wind from the top of a mountain or cliff that I have enjoyed the view live. The list of places keeps changing as I climb to new places. One of the latest is the elbow in the middle of the South Harper Creek waterfall shown hear.

user posted image

--------------------
Näkemiin

Dave (SCA: Geoffrey Genour of Carney)
Protector of Bits and Bytes, Third cousin once removed to Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light

user posted image

Help out with the site! Win prizes!
Suggest videos at VideoCelt.com

Check out the outstanding video - Merchant Marine by Celtae
jesstuss 
Posted: 26-Dec-2007, 10:28 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: New England

female

I must admit I was surprised to see how many people here want to be cremated. I'm part of that majority, but I have one thing to add. My husband and I also want to have our ashes combined, but in addition to that, our little buddies who have made our life journey with us will be reunited with us for our death journey. So far, Pepi is the only one in the urn waiting, but we'll be joining him eventually again.

Our will states clearly that we want to be sprinkled on a breezy day atop the mountain we were married on. Jash is our second pet, there with us on our wedding day. Hopefully we'll live long enough to have had the privilege of hiking with a few others as well.

--------------------
We begin where our ancestors end...but wherefore go our children?
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 04-Feb-2008, 02:16 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

04/02/08

After my first heart attack my oldest daughter broached the subject of what I wanted done with my remains. I admit I was taken aback for a second or two but I soon realized that it was an important question. The first answer off the top of my head was "if you can get away with it stick me in a green garbage bag and throw me in the dumpster". That didn't go over well and it is illegal. After a short discussion I got the point across that I really didn't care what was done as I wouldn't be there. My youngest daughter took the matter in hand and informed me that when I depart this Earthly Realm I will be cremated and she would take my ashes to Loch Awe, Argyllshire and throw them to the wind blowing over the loch. Loch Awe is the ancestral land of both my families, MacArthur and Campbell.

Camac.

PS: My Mother always said I was a heathen and would burn in Hell. I guess the cremation will be a precursor to where I'm spending eternity.

mainopsman 
Posted: 23-Feb-2008, 06:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Dundalk, Maryland

male

I'm at the age when the wife and I talk about what we want to have done when we do leave this world.

I like to get my wife going by telling her to have me stuffed, and to sit me on the sofa with a remote control in my hand. If I want to look natural its the only way.

But, the joking left aside, I wish to be buried in the cemetary that is less then a half of a mile from my house, joining my mother and father, both sets of grandparents, my great grand parents and great great grandparents. The family has been buried there since the early 1800's.

The one wish I have is that I be pipped to the church and to the grave. Being a former firefighter/Paramedic, Air Force Veteran, and a lover of the pipes this is my only wish.

JIM (mainopsman)

--------------------
Dedicate some of your life to others. Your dedication will not be a sacrifice. It will be an exhilarating experience because it is intense effort applied toward a meaningful end. Dr. Thomas Dooley
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 27-Feb-2008, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

Hi folks,
Some great sentiments here. I have abit of my fathers ashes and the rest my mother and I will have scattered in a pretty stream he liked up near Colebrook, CT. I think the bit I have I will bring to his gggggggrandfathers burial place and leave him there. My mother wishes for her ashes to be buried under a rose bush. I think I'll bring her to the Elizabeth Park Rose Garden in Hartford, CT.

My wife would like cremation and burial , as for me, cremation, poured into a river and off to sea I go.

Off the topic abit. I still like to go into cemetaries and say the names outloud. I often wondered when was the last time their names were said outloud or they were remembered, good, bad or indifferent.

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
Patch 
Posted: 19-Apr-2008, 04:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I have pre-paid my cremation and my ashes will be placed on the wooded hill over looking the lake with the rest of my family. A Piper will play Amazing grace with my pipes. They will then be donated to an area Pipe and Drum Corps. They say there is no greater honor than for a piper (not a very good one) to be "piped home' with his own pipes. I hope I will know this at the end. Then in the finest tradition of my Irish ancestors there will be a wake. I want one of my Scot Kilt and all accessories laid out on a table. There will be a banner indicating that it is EVERYTHING a properly dressed Scotsman wears. I only wish I could see who of my relatives and friends lift the Kilt. For live entertainment, the dance school where my wife taught will send some Step Dancers. Hopefully there will be some other live entertainment. There will be plenty of CD's. I want my passing to be a happy occasion!

Slàinte,

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Finduella 
Posted: 05-May-2008, 07:26 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

female

I'd like a minature valhalla cerimony. I'm going to buy a little boat shaped as close as possible to a viking ship and I would like my ashes and some of my blonde hair((I'm going to cut a plait and keep it specially)

I would like my family to light it i mean set it on fire) and send it out on Black Wattle Bay, Sydney Harbour. It might not turn out as romantic as I imagine but it has all the elements earth , air, fire, and water .

My mum bought a niche in the cemetary next to her father, only thing was that nowdays in Australia they only fit half the ashes in. After getting over the fact that mum wasn't going to fit into the space she had spent plenty of $$$$ on I embraced the difficulty. I took some ashes with me to scotland and scattered them in each important Dunbar place. I just couln't scatter any at Dunbar Castle though. It took me a while to figure out why. Castles are pretty violent places really and are not consecrated ground.Castles go "Rrrrraaaaaaaaaaa" and no place to leave my mum. I felt much better leaving them in churches yards and graves yards that ancestor's bones lay.Also in lovely little streams. So mum came with me overseas and had a grand scatter!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Druid_of_Ark 
Posted: 06-May-2008, 09:39 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan Cathcart-USA
Group Icon

Group: Order of the Knights
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Perryville, Arkansas

male

With much Love and respect to my friends on this site, I came close to having remains to be dealt with last Saturday I was taken tae the hospital, after an attempt tae meet with the Ancestors. I am out now and doing a wee bit better, have weekly counseling sessions fae a while though.
PMEmail Poster               
norwood1026 
Posted: 10-May-2008, 02:18 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacElder

male

I want a very Pagan funeral I want my body set out on a raft & lit by arrows. Legally I am not sure for this is possible. If this is not possible then I want want my body in a huge bonfire & lit again I am not sure how legal this is unless you own your land. If none of this is possible then I would like my ashes scattered around my favorite tree as we believe trees are gateways to the Otherworld.

--------------------
I worship the old Gods because my heart tells me too, not because I am told too.
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 10-May-2008, 04:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (norwood1026 @ 10-May-2008, 03:18 PM)
I want a very Pagan funeral I want my body set out on a raft & lit by arrows. Legally I am not sure for this is possible. If this is not possible then I want want my body in a huge bonfire & lit again I am not sure how legal this is unless you own your land. If none of this is possible then I would like my ashes scattered around my favorite tree as we believe trees are gateways to the Otherworld.

I love the flaming arrows, so I would forget about, if it’s legal or not, and just it. What are they going to do, put out the fire, and burry you in jail?

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 10-May-2008, 06:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I have a bottle of Glenfiddich 30 (now 37) year old single malt and a bottle of Black Bush (About 29 yrs old now.) so all my family and friends can have one last drink with me when my ashes are scattered. The scotch would have been older but I kept drinking it and had to replace the bottle.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
ctbard 
Posted: 11-May-2008, 05:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

female

QUOTE (norwood1026 @ 10-May-2008, 03:18 PM)

Ohh, a viking funeral! I don"t think it's legal though. I want to be cremated and scattered in the forest myself, but if I dies before my hubby I don"t think he"ll do that,"I"ll have to have a talk with my daughter about that", maybe she can steal my ashes and dispose of them for me, in a nice forest close by here that I love.
And all my friends can have a nice BBQ and play all my favorite tunes.

--------------------
The devil whispered behind the leaves, it's pretty but is it art?
Rudyard Kipling
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]