Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Bush Fighting Gay Marriage, Do we need a constitutional amendment?
stoirmeil 
Posted: 13-Jun-2006, 04:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (SCShamrock @ 13-Jun-2006, 04:06 PM)
Lynn, I cannot tell you at this moment in time what I would do. Pray for strength is a given. You seem to believe that because I see homosexuality as something wrong that somehow I wish to do harm to homosexuals. That is an incredible reach that I am now going to completely ignore.

Something you will always have trouble with in your attempts to be taken seriously is your concept of diversity. Love all, accept all, unless they don't celebrate gayness, then plaster them with labels for all the world to see. Believe me, I get it.

What if I told you that praying for strength in that situation was only appropriate if it were for strength to truly let go of your own erroneous assumptions, not strength to bear the burden of a somehow compromised child?

I don't think you want to do harm to anyone, but that doesn't mean that you don't do harm. When you propagate an erroneous and judgmental vision of someone (in any way -- by internet postings, by teaching your children, at town meetings, any way at all) you harm them and you constrict their possibilities for a good, productive, rewarding life as equal members of the community. And that's whether or not they even hear it directly from you.

About forming family with marriage -- kinship bonds -- there are people who sit on the margins of their birth-and-marriage families for lots of reasons. Some gay people experience this, but they are surely not the only ones. So anyone in this situation may seek to do a very healthy, natural and well-adjusted thing: they try to make their own kinship bonds. Y'all remember that poem by Robert Frost, "The Death of the Hired Man"? The conversation between a farmer and his wife, when the old hired hand comes back to their farm to die?
It's worth a complete read, I guess:
http://www.bartleby.com/118/3.html

But the lines I'm thinking of especially are:

“Warren,” she said, “he has come home to die:
You needn’t be afraid he’ll leave you this time.”

“Home,” he mocked gently.

“Yes, what else but home?
It all depends on what you mean by home.
Of course he’s nothing to us, any more
Than was the hound that came a stranger to us
Out of the woods, worn out upon the trail.”

“Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in.”

“I should have called it
Something you somehow haven’t to deserve.”

Either way -- the man's definition or his wife's -- legal contracts don't get you that. Conventional marriage and birth kinship don't necessarily either, but it's that mutual responsibility whether the real inclination or whole heart is there or not, that's at the heart of family values, not specifics of ethical or moral behavior. That is what a gay or lesbian couple is looking for with a life commitment, like anyone else. I don't know how it could be otherwise, since they've been socialized in a culture saturated with those expectations like everyone else has.

So when you have people who are willingly and mutually responsible and interdependent over the long term, you have the bedrock condition. The presence or absence of sex, or how it is carried out, is not trivial, but it's not at the base. Whether the family is constructed so as to nurture children is far from trivial but also not at the base, or we would be dissolving childless marriages, or they would fall apart by themselves with little or no grief or trouble, like leaves falling off a tree. But the people in childless marriages choose to continue the truly important thing -- to carry on the mutuality of home. I don't even have to mention the heterosexual couples who have a house and biological offspring but don't really have any mutuality or sense of responsibility for the long term -- that's been talked about enough, and it neither proves nor disproves a thing.

There is kinship and marriage potential in anyone who has the capacity for long term, bonded interdependence. That's the family value we're afraid to lose in this country, and very rightly. Assuming that people who choose partners of the same sex don't have the capacity for this society-building and strengthening family model isn't just incorrect, it's terribly wasteful.
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 13-Jun-2006, 04:26 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Man on man, woman on woman, it is not in the laws of nature!
You are going to bring up how animals will appear to mate with others of their own kind... that is not sexual, but a method of asserting dominance and control, it has nothing to do with the laws of mating.

I have been called a liberal here on these boards, but I do not have liberal feelings about this issue. Sex is for procreation between a man and a woman... it was adam and eve, not adam and steve....

But to answer the initial question.... NO! we do not need to have an admendmnet to our constitution!

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
SCShamrock 
Posted: 13-Jun-2006, 10:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

QUOTE (CelticCoalition @ 13-Jun-2006, 04:25 PM)
SCShamrock...no one is asking anyone to celebrate gays.  No one is asking anyone to make out with a man.  No one is asking for a National Queer Day where the gays take over the streets.  No one is even asking for straights to involve themselves in the gay community.

CC,

Respectfully, I appreciate you comments. At least you have the decency to address me about the issue, and not my person. I cannot say the same for everyone. Read my posts, and other's replies to me, and you will see that largely I share my opinion of homosexuality, how the homosexual crowd is attempting to force a change in these opinions on a grander scale, and how our government has already set precedent in creating marriage law. This, of course, has brought about a barrage of labels and insults which reveals the truth of the situation. There is no acceptable answer response to homosexuality except support or indifference. To be otherwise instantly awards the dissenter with brands of social backwardness. I found this statement of yours particularly interesting:

No one is even asking for straights to involve themselves in the gay community.

I disagree. There are volumes of kids books that glamorize the homosexual lifestyle. One such book you may have heard about, titled "King and King" stirred quite a controversy. This book takes specific aim at grade school age children. It is just one weapon in the arsenal of indoctrination in public schools, and no one can convince me otherwise.

I'll try to answer some of your other questions.

How is not allowing gay's the right to marry different? How is this NOT discrimination? How is thsi constitutional?

The proposed constitutional amendment, unless I've missed something along the way, is not to deny gay's the right to marry, but rather to define what marriage is. It is not discriminatory, it is the way our legal system works. The internal revenue system expects us to report all income. In order to justify these requirements, they must define the word income (we could do quite a lengthy thread on this topic alone:) ).

And again, many of our laws have a moral foundation. I mention bestiality because the laws against it do not protect any consenting human, but rather animals who, by their very nature, cannot show their consent. The fact that we kill and eat animals, in my mind anyway, nullifies any notion of the intent to protect the animal population from injury. It is, in fact, a law based on a moral standard. And rightfully so. Granted, more people find bestiality immoral than they do homosexuality. However, we're not speaking in terms of numbers or percentages. By the way, I draw the comparison to bestiality and pedophilia because they are both outlawed, applying a moral standard, and based on the nature of the offense which is sexual.

So how is this constitutional? That is moot point, because that is what the amendment process is for.

Why do those against gay marriage feel as if the whole world will turn gay the minute homosexual marriage is lawfull?

I'm sure lots of people think this way. I do not, so I can't honestly answer that. What I will say is that I know homosexuality to be wrong, and I do not believe our nation should be giving it the seal of approval.

--------------------
The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
~Mark Twain
PMEmail Poster               
McKenna 
Posted: 14-Jun-2006, 12:10 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacOak

Realm: Los Angeles, CA

female

QUOTE (Cordelia @ 09-Jun-2006, 09:35 AM)
WRONG! Before God taught us, no one married. They only lived together. Did you ever hear of cavemen marrying? NO. Marriage was instituted by God, and therefore, absolutely NOT a legal institution.

Hi there--with all due respect, the Mayans had the institution of marriage long before the Christians came up with it. I'm sure there are other examples, but that's one that comes to mind right now.

Again I respect your opinion and feelings, but you need to do more research.

--------------------
There is a vitality, a life-force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost. -martha graham
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
McKenna 
Posted: 14-Jun-2006, 12:22 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacOak

female

I HAVE AN IDEA!

Can we solve this issue by allowing gay folks to marry and have all the same legal rights that go with getting married, but call it null and void on a religious level? Could they be "legally married" but not "religiously married" since that seems to be the major thing in question...whether the Bible supports this?

stoirmeil 
Posted: 14-Jun-2006, 08:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (McKenna @ 14-Jun-2006, 01:22 AM)
Can we solve this issue by allowing gay folks to marry and have all the same legal rights that go with getting married, but call it null and void on a religious level?  Could they be "legally married" but not "religiously married" since that seems to be the major thing in question...whether the Bible supports this?

It does look like it would take some of the heat out of the debate. The problem with it is that gays have no less of a range of spiritual expression than the rest of the population -- that is, some are fairly secular, some have no affiliation or sense of spiritual need at all, and some are deeply religious, and across many traditions. So if their tradition has a spiritual component in the way marriage is defined, it is going to be in their expectations and wishes.

This is an anthropological view:
http://www.aaanet.org/press/an/0405if-comm4.htm

that illustrates McKenna's observation that some form of lasting and socially recognized bonding that creates kinship affines (marriage) has been around almost as long as there have been humans recognizable as such. The whole article is worth looking at, but I was struck by this in particular:

Indeed the only feature of marriages that is apparently universal is that they will create affinal (in-law) relationships, or alliances, a fact that Lévi-Strauss and others considered to lie behind the origin of human marriage. But even here, affinal relationships are themselves quite varied in their nature and importance across societies. Thus, in terms of child legitimacy, sex of spouses, sexual activity, residence and so on, what we see around the world in terms of marriage is most notable for its variation.

As far as relying on dictionary definitions -- Merriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary does have the definition as being between a man and a woman, but the new online American Heritage (!) Dictionary contains the following:

mar·riage

NOUN:

The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.

The state of being married; wedlock.

A common-law marriage.

A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage.

A wedding.

A close union: "the most successful marriage of beauty and blood in mainstream comics" (Lloyd Rose).

Games The combination of the king and queen of the same suit, as in pinochle.

Dictionaries follow common practice and use, they do not precede it or mandate it. Relying on a dictionary either to prove or disprove this point is therefore a backward-looking strategy -- it only demonstrates "by definition," as it were, what has been, not what is or will be. But the AH dictionary entry seems to suggest that marriage between people of the same sex has taken hold enough in the popular sense of things to merit inclusion.

Here is the end of the article I linked above. I think it wraps this particular perspective neatly:

From an anthropological perspective that focuses on the whole of humanity, what same-sex couples seeking legal marriage in the US are trying to do is not to redefine marriage. They are seeking legal recognition in the US for doing what people around the world have always done, that is to construct marriage for themselves.

This commentary reflects the broadest human context from the discipline of world cultural anthropology. Those who prefer to adhere to the context of American law and biblical precept are certainly entitled to do so, but I think they must, in all honesty and fairness, acknowledge that it is a relative and not an absolute stance.
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 14-Jun-2006, 08:28 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

Stoirmeil, the only mistake I see in your argument is that you are introducing facts and reason into what is basically, at least on the part of some of the overzealous religous types, a purely emotional issue. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 14-Jun-2006, 08:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (maisky @ 14-Jun-2006, 09:28 AM)
Stoirmeil, the only mistake I see in your argument is that you are introducing facts and reason into what is basically, at least on the part of some of the overzealous religous types, a purely emotional issue.  biggrin.gif

You want to be careful, my man. I've already been whomped with the ad hominem wet hanky once in this thread.

But really, what you are bringing up is an issue that has more than academic relevance. We tend to use "stereotype" and "prejudice" interchangeably in colloquial terms, but they are psychologically distinct. A stereotype may be positive, negative, or neutral, and is based on lack of information or familiarity. It's not that hard to change a stereotype, with learning. A prejudice, by contrast, is invariably negative, and does not yield to rational argument, information, or evidence that it is erroneous. The most likely explanation that has been advanced is that there is some emotional investment in not relinquishing the position, usually based on perceived threat of loss (including material possessions, rights and privileges, social approval, turf, or dominance).
PMEmail Poster               
jedibowers 
Posted: 14-Jun-2006, 09:38 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Fishers, IN

male

QUOTE (McKenna @ 14-Jun-2006, 02:10 AM)
Hi there--with all due respect, the Mayans had the institution of marriage long before the Christians came up with it. I'm sure there are other examples, but that's one that comes to mind right now.

Again I respect your opinion and feelings, but you need to do more research.

There you might be wrong. The person is talking about the first couple, Adam and Eve. They would have been before the Mayan's and all other races. But if we are talking about "Christians", after Christ's resurrection, then you might be right. But I think the previsious person was talking about God and the beginning of time.
PMEmail Poster                
stoirmeil 
Posted: 14-Jun-2006, 09:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

You must be aware that theology and scientific inquiry don't mesh here, and the fundamentalist viewpoint is not the majority (and not only in this thread). You may be witnessing sincerely to your faith, and there's nothing wrong with that, but the existence of Adam and Eve, particularly with regard to fixing an exact date of such existence for comparison purposes, has little place in a discussion having to do with the legal rights of millions in a modern, legally secular society, especially when we are talking constitutional amendments.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticCoalition 
Posted: 14-Jun-2006, 10:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

male

All I have left to say on this issue is that I think it will be interesting to see how this issue evolves over the next few years.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
May those who love us love us
And those who don't love us
May God turn their hearts,
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.
PMEmail Poster               
McKenna 
Posted: 15-Jun-2006, 03:09 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacOak

female

QUOTE (jedibowers @ 14-Jun-2006, 10:38 AM)
There you might be wrong. The person is talking about the first couple, Adam and Eve. They would have been before the Mayan's and all other races.

Well, if you believe in Adam and Eve and the "first couple" concept I would venture to conclude you have a fundamentalist/biblical POV on matters in life. With all due respect, I'm sorry but I can't roll with you down that avenue.

Whatever the case may be, we simply cannot prescibe laws by going with one fundamentalist religious viewpoint that is certainly not the majority.

I think it is human nature to want to find some kind of dogma or construct for life. That is why the bible/religion is so popular. Life is basically totally absurd--why are we dealt the hand we are dealt? None of it makes sense.

it is much more frightening (and exhausting) to keep an open mind and maintain a constant state of wonder and education at the mystery of life instead of quoting lines from the Bible to solve everything. (not saying that is necessarily what Jedi is doing but many other do).
MDF3530 
  Posted: 15-Jun-2006, 04:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Hello all!!!

Been awhile since I checked into this forum.

Now, about Bush's proposed amendment banning gay marriage.

This is an election year. It is obvious that Bush wants to keep control of both houses of Congress so they can continue to rubber stamp his war. He was pandering to the right wing base using his reliable "3G" strategy: Gays, Guns & God.

I am not gay myself. However, I do know some who are. I want them to have the same rights as I do, to get married, raise a family and be able to provide for them.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Antwn 
Posted: 16-Jun-2006, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 14-Jun-2006, 09:14 AM)
This commentary reflects the broadest human context from the discipline of world cultural anthropology. .

To pick from a smorgasbord of anthropological examples which correspond to a pre-existing bias, which Prof. Stone seems to have done, ignores the most pertinent issue, that its in the current social context that this issue is being debated and decided. Although she can provide anthropological evidence that suggests a tenuous definition of marriage, that doesn't mean that particular construct is considered ill defined now.

She makes the comment that gay marriage is not seeking to redefine the institution, yet the debate revolves around that very issue regardless of intent. She has picked various examples where the attitudes of indigenous peoples support her contention and ignored those that do not. In her defense, its unlikely the intent was to provide a broadbased expose on all forms of indigenous couplings (no pun intended), yet Rousseau-like utopianism towards native sexuality is not only just a portion of the anthropological history pertaining to sexual expression, its of questionable relevance to the current social context in which the issue is being debated and will do little to assuage modern concerns in my opinion. If its a question of perception, then modern perceptions are most pertinent because they are the ones around which incendiary debates have ignited.

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
SCShamrock 
Posted: 16-Jun-2006, 05:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ 15-Jun-2006, 05:04 PM)

I am not gay myself. However, I do know some who are. I want them to have the same rights as I do, to get married, raise a family and be able to provide for them.

I wonder if everyone who knows my style can read my statements/questions without automatically thinking me to be sarcastic. One can only hope.

I strongly question the ability of same-sex couples to raise children without their sexual orientation having a profound influence on the child's sexual identity during those very vulnerable and formative years of development. I've tried to research this, and have found such a mix of opinion that it's difficult to gauge any consensus view. I did find one article that echoes my uneducated thoughts:

One person who has spent a lot of time looking into this question is psychologist Dr Joe Nicolosi. He agues that kids raised by homosexuals are traumatised, emotionally and socially. Children, he argues, are profoundly affected by parental behaviour. For example, children of smokers often become smokers. “Homosexuality,” says Nicolosi, “is primarily an identity problem, not a sexual problem, and it begins in childhood. The process begins when a child realizes that the world is divided between male and female and that he is not equipped to be identified as male. His father fails to sufficiently encourage male-gender identity.Because he is not fully male-gender-identified, he is not psychologically prepared to feel heterosexual attractions. In order to be attracted to women, a male must feel sufficiently masculine. Faced with this predicament, he goes into a world of fantasy and denies the imperative of being either male or female.” The lack of a strong father figure seems to be a major factor in those who become homosexuals.

Another researcher, Dr Paul Cameron, says the admittedly scant data on the subject confirms Nicolosi’s findings. These studies show that between 8% and 33%of adult respondents raised by homosexuals said they considered themselves homosexual or bisexual, far above the national (US) norm of 2% of the adult population.

The absence of role models presents other problems. How will a man raised by two men know how to relate to a woman? Or how will a man raised by two women know how to relate to men? One woman who was raised by lesbians now runs a support and recovery program for those coming out of the homosexual lifestyle and their families. She put it this way: “I realise that homosexuals feel they can give a child love and support that even many straight families can’t provide, but I’ve been there. I know the finger-pointing and the shame one carries. For years, you struggle with the thought that you might be a homosexual. People say ‘like mother, like daughter.’ Most of us become promiscuous to prove we’re straight.”

Full Article

Of course this doesn't prove anything. However, regardless of the fact that plenty of heterosexual couples do a lousy job parenting, I can't imagine a child raised by homosexuals not having to face a world of stigmas and identity problems stemming from the daily influence of their same-sex parents. And I do know that this article only reflects my viewpoint, but I leave it to those who feel homosexuality to be as normal as heterosexuality to provide the counter point.

P.S. I have also had difficulty locating any support and recovery program for those coming out of heterosexuality. Hmmmm.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]