> Re; The Celts Forum Discussion, muchcelticancestory&lookingtolearn
celtic from cali 
Posted: 09-Sep-2003, 12:18 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

male

Since this is the sight that discusses all things celtic i have found what i'm looking for. I am of scottish and Irish ancestory. My research says that the name Tipton is English then also Irish. Anyone out there know? There are too many redheads to not be! laugh.gif laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 09-Sep-2003, 02:22 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (celtic from cali @ Sep 9 2003, 07:18 AM)
Since this is the sight that discusses all things celtic i have found what i'm looking for. I am of scottish and Irish ancestory. My research says that the name Tipton is English then also Irish. Anyone out there know? There are too many redheads to not be! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hello Celtic from Cali....

I have had a look in some of my genealogy books, and the name Tipton is English and from village names. The name is from Stafforshire and Worcestershire (two different places Tiptons) - BTW Worcestershire is pronounced Wooster.....! Just to confuse people. I found no links to Ireland at all - but that is not to say that there are/were no Tiptons in Ireland. After all, the English colonised Ireland for hundreds of years, and many of the 'colonists' would have married local women and stayed there...

BTW - although I conform to the Hollywood stereotype (ie I have red hair) - not all Scots were red haired.... In fact the Celts and Picts were smaller, dark haired people. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
shannonsunshine247 
Posted: 09-Oct-2008, 09:07 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacIvy

female

My family was from Ireland and their last name is Tipton as well. I've seen a map of Ireland with my families surname listed on it. My family has long roots in Ireland. You can't believe everything you read. Yes, perhaps the surname originated from England sad.gif but my blood is still Irish!
PMEmail Poster               
glaswegian 
Posted: 14-Oct-2008, 08:22 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Glasgow

male

There is no such thing as irish, scottish or english blood. The english, irish and scots are not defined as a race through anthropology, european statute or british/scots/irish law.

Racially the english,scots and irish are northern european cauacasian. Therefore you could argue you have european blood. Not irish blood.

The only thing that seperates us is history, culture and community. Your surname originated in england because that where your descendants are from.
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 15-Oct-2008, 12:32 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (shannonsunshine247 @ 09-Oct-2008, 08:07 AM)
My family was from Ireland and their last name is Tipton as well. I've seen a map of Ireland with my families surname listed on it. My family has long roots in Ireland. You can't believe everything you read. Yes, perhaps the surname originated from England sad.gif but my blood is still Irish!

As a Reeves, let me say that there is nothing wrong with being of English decent. wink.gif You're either proud of who you are or you're not.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Harlot 
Posted: 15-Oct-2008, 12:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

QUOTE (shannonsunshine247 @ 09-Oct-2008, 11:07 AM)

On my great grand parents side I have all three of them. great grand father English and Scotts on great grand mother Irish and proud of all of them. And because of that I wouldn't be who I am today.

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
glaswegian 
Posted: 02-Nov-2008, 09:41 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

male

Having irish or scottish ancestors is incidental and has no effect on who you are.
PMEmail Poster               
Harlot 
Posted: 02-Nov-2008, 12:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

As I said before "I have all three" and so to get this right I looked up name variations: Surname--King
Colquhaoun - Scottish
MacGregor--Scottish
King---Irish

And you don't think that effects me. Well here is something that does. Growing up not knowing my great grand parents or my grand father,just my grand mother and always being told by my grand mother and my father (who knew his grand parents) that I had the temper of a Scotsman. Not knowing as to what that meant for sure at such a young age and still not knowing. I think it must mean don't try and tell me that I have no Scots blood in me as you can see I could have more then my share. And if I could just pick up and move to Scotland I would, because that would feel more like home to me there then it does here. And just so you know I am passing all my love for ALBA down to my grand children and not just the bagpipes and kilts.It's the history and the culture,and if I could learn gaelic I'd pass that down too.
glaswegian 
Posted: 03-Nov-2008, 12:47 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

male

Harlot,

I have to point out respectully to you that there is no such thing as scottish or irish blood,

The scots are not defined as a race through anthropology. Niether are we defined as a race by european statute, regulations or british and scots common and statute law.
There is no racial diferance between the scots, irish, english, welsh, german, dutch etc. etc.

we all belong to the racial group of northern european caucasians, the Only thing that seperates us is nationality, culture, community, language and history.

if you have scottish ancestors, that does not make you scottish, it makes you racially european, however. To be scottish you must obviously come from scotland.

your culture, community, etc. etc. is however american. Which is something you should be proud of.
PMEmail Poster               
Harlot 
Posted: 03-Nov-2008, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

I will try and understand what you and every other Scottsman think, if you will try and understand how some us think and feel.

Just because some of us where not "born" there we have that DNA that comes from our "Ancestors",with that some choose to pass down to us Sassenach the culture,language and the history,just so we could understand where we came from. Because I was born here in America doesn't say that I'm not proud of that ,but I'm just as proud of how it came to be. It had to start from somewhere. What about the ones who were born in what ever counrty but moved by choice or otherwise,does that not they are Scottish Irish etc. etc. anymore?

A Product Of: Scottish,English,Irish,Welsh,German and Potawatami Ancestors

Harlot
oldraven 
Posted: 03-Nov-2008, 02:33 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (glaswegian @ 03-Nov-2008, 11:47 AM)
if you have scottish ancestors, that does not make you scottish, it makes you racially european, however. To be scottish you must obviously come from scotland.

your culture, community, etc. etc. is however american. Which is something you should be proud of.

This is something I've been saying for years. I can't hail from a place I've never been. But I have my ancestry, and I identify with that.

It has been a point of argument before on here, that you can't understand the way a person in a 'colony' views the lands of their ancestors if you are from those lands themselves. Our cultures are almost entirely based on those we descend from. When the population is made up of people from elsewhere, you begin to view each other as such. That doesn't stop when the next generation comes around. It's fed into them, and becomes the majority of their influence. The sense of belonging to a foreign group does become thin, as generations pass, but when it is an established way of identifying yourself, it always remains part of who you 'are'.

I've always been a Nova Scotian and a Canadian. By being Nova Scotian, I can honestly say that I've lived my life surrounded by the influences of England, Scotland, Ireland, and vaguely France, (Acadian influence isn't exactly the same as French influence, even though they were always under the French Crown. They were a distinct people, and were loyal to Acadia over France. This is why it so easily changed hands between France and Britain.).

That said, I am who I am, despite who I descend from. If I were to find out I had Welsh ancestors, I wouldn't all of a sudden cut all the vowels out of my posts. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
sisterknight 
Posted: 03-Nov-2008, 02:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

QUOTE (Harlot @ 02-Nov-2008, 01:19 PM)
As I said before "I have all three" and so to get this right I looked up name variations: Surname--King
Colquhaoun - Scottish
MacGregor--Scottish
King---Irish

harlot....i've decendants from both scotland- McGregor and ireland- Campbell and with my family name Snowdon...you talk about a mix!!!oh yes, red heads run in our family too!!

there is nothing wrong with being proud of who you decend from, it is they that give each family the mix of family traditions, it is they that give you a place, and people to whom you relate to.....i'm a canadian born, my parents were 1st generation born in canada,from there we go back.

but most of all i'm proud to be me..

--------------------
non nobis domine,non nobis sed nomini tua da gloriam.

OKAY, WHAT DID I DO NOW??
PMEmail Poster               
Harlot 
Posted: 03-Nov-2008, 03:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

I would like to send out a Thanks to Oldraven and Sisterknight for understanding what I was trying to get him to understand. I am proud of who I am and where it all got started from.

Someone on my mother's side wanted to join the DAR so they did a family tree and guess what some of them came on the Mayflower. My cousin is going to get me a copy of what she calls "The Book" can't wait to see this.

Wants again Thank You both!

Harlot
glaswegian 
Posted: 03-Nov-2008, 03:46 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

male

I understand taking an interest in where your ancestors are from. My father is Irish, and as a result I have an interest in irish politics, literature and culture etc.

However Having an irish father does not make me irish in the slightest.

I am scottish, having scottish parents does not make one scottish, niether does being born in scotland. To be scottish you must have been brought up and raised in scotland from an age early enough to allow scotland and its characteristics to have formed your identity, personality and culture.

To be scottish you must have been assimilated by scotlands culture, people, dialect, sense of inward and outward perceptions, ideology, philosphy, beliefs, worldview, cynicism, humour, kinship, community etc. etc.

the same goes for the irish, welsh or english. I would also like to point out that you did not start from the scots or irish, you started from groups that existed in many other places even before the scots and irish existed.
PMEmail Poster               
sisterknight 
Posted: 04-Nov-2008, 07:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

you know glaswegian, you are a poop!!!!

aren't you the least bit proud of yer heritage???
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]