Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fear Of The Blank Page - Writer's Block, Etc., anyone got stories to share?
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 27-Jan-2004, 10:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Aaediwen @ Jan 24 2004, 12:05 AM)
Good vibes were flying all over the place tonight. My cousin's marriage, a litst of about 5 firsts for me, two second time experiences, and honest, rave reviews about my work. WOW, what a fun night smile.gif Think I'll sleep now =)

Its so nice to hear a success story like that - I am so happy for you!

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
Haldur 
Posted: 29-Jan-2004, 06:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

Writer's block is that dreaded yet oh-so-necessary part of writing. Usually, I find that writing on "wildly" and without stopping will fix the problem of not being able to come up with anything. However, it goes deeper than that because I'll have an idea pretty much sussed out but I am overcome with questions like "Does this even make sense?" or "Why did I write that for?". As any artist or creator can attest, that writer's block is more than a brick, it's a mountain! There's always this feeling that you're not doing your best or not making sense or not getting the point across enough. I've come to the conclusion that I write what I write and as long as that makes me happy, I can do better after its finished. The moments after the editing process is where you push the door open and let the reader in. When the door is shut, it's up to you and your muse (who or whatever you are writing for, real or imagined...I honestly find imagined characters to be good muses because they don't fit one personality, they fit them all!) to come up with something edible, save the main course's preparation for the editing process.
I'm currently working on two stories at the moment: one is a modern-day tale about a writer who finds himself the care-taker of a lighthouse for the summer (he is accompanied by some unexpected guests, however!) and the other is a tale of a Druid leader who escapes his homeland after defending every last one of his kin, sails into the West, only to find that he is an heir to a great hidden civilization far across the Atlantic. I don't know all of the full details of these stories, but they become clearer the more I write. They did not follow these same lines as I have just described in the beginning. It took actually thinking my story ideas over in a rational sense and then broadening the rational for the "this could have happened".
Stories are like fossils (as Stephen King explains in his book "On Writing") that must be dug down to and carefully uncovered.

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 30-Jan-2004, 11:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Haldur @ Jan 29 2004, 07:55 PM)
Stories are like fossils (as Stephen King explains in his book "On Writing") that must be dug down to and carefully uncovered.

Working on a drawing or painting can be like that too, in that you carefully uncover it... to me it often feels like that at some point the drawing begins to tell ME what to do next! What area needs this touch, what area needs to be left alone.

artist.gif
PM               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 30-Jan-2004, 08:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Richard, mine would only have been butterflies. the B52's were what were churning my cousin's stomach, and what his new bride yanked me out to the dance floor on at the reception party (my second time ever on a dance floor)

CelticRose:

I tend to grow skeptical of feedback, perticularly from those closest to me. I have a feeling that they'll say it's good just because they don't want to hurt me. The reaction I got last Friday evening, however, left zero room for doubt. It came from both people who had known me all their life, and from people whom I had never met and who had no reason to know me. My aunt told me two other things as well that provided me second hand feedback that ment the world. She told me first, that my cousin totally freaked out when I read it (I hear this after he has already told me one side and down the other how much he loved it). Second, she told me that several among the bride's family had asked me who it was who got up and read the poem, and she was proud to tell them who.

Anyone think I was feeling bad at the end of that night? (ignoring the wine I drank)

PS: I told my cousin that several of my friends were interested in reading the poem, and I was trying to decide about posting it. His answer... "Do it!" Guess I will....

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Aaediwen 
Posted: 30-Jan-2004, 08:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Haldur: those story ideas sound better every time! Definately a change from what you started with, and I'm looking forward to seeing to what you come up with from it smile.gif Think ya need a bigger book to write in though.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 30-Jan-2004, 10:21 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Aaediwen! Doesn't it feel good to get positive feedback from the strangers there to you as well as those close to you? Must have been very reaffirming of your talent, that you know in your heart is already there. I have read some of your work and I am no writer and know nothing about poetry and writing, but I have my opinion and what I see from you is very good!

I tend not to trust family and friends either with their compliments. There are very few I do trust. The only ones I do listen to is my husband who will sometimes be brutally honest about a piece I am working on or the people who actually "show me the money" in wanting it bad enough to buy it! laugh.gif Siusaidh was my art instructor for many years and she is one of the very few people in my circle that I do trust with any comments made. I know she is not going to try to pull the wool over my eyes! wink.gif biggrin.gif

Thank you Aaediwen so much for sharing. Glad the wine that night was good too! beer_mug.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 12:36 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

Writters Block? does this include Artists Block???

I am having one heck of a time with this new project I am working on, the colors are simply not blending the way I want them to!!

*ROAR!*

I have spent 2 days just staring at it and getting more and more frustraited with it.

This is just my way of getting my frustration off my chest. Thanks for letting me "lose it"

angel.gif
PMEmail Poster                
CelticRoz 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 12:46 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Thank you for sharing it Angel! I experience it all the time..........especially lately and have for a year! I don't know what is wrong with me unsure.gif
Aaediwen 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 01:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

I don't think I'm first to say this:

Perhaps it should be Artist's/writer's/Musician's/Creative Persona block
Rather than just Writer's block

Looks like it effects everyone
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 09:39 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

Well now there is a place for Artists to vent and what not. Celtic Rose came up with the Idea and together we refined it. keep in mind that "Artists Corner" is still a work in progress and will be refined more & More. See ya there!
PMEmail Poster                
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 09:59 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (Angel Whitefang (Rider) @ Jan 31 2004, 01:36 AM)
I am having one heck of a time with this new project I am working on, the colors are simply not blending the way I want them to!!

*ROAR!*

I have spent 2 days just staring at it and getting more and more frustraited with it.

I know this feeling exactly,

I think and dream about Flies. I had this dream about a Fly and it seemed so simple when I saw it. But when I tried to tie it, it did not come out the same. I have tried several times and it does not seem to make any difference. It just will not come out the way I saw it. sad.gif At least with Fly Tying, if it doesn't come out right you can take your frustration out on it by tearing it apart. wink.gif

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 03-Feb-2004, 01:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Richard Bercot @ Jan 31 2004, 10:59 PM)
At least with Fly Tying, if it doesn't come out right you can take your frustration out on it by tearing it apart. wink.gif

Or you could chunk it into a trout stream and see if it appeals to the fishies.

biggrin.gif
PM               
Elspeth 
Posted: 23-Feb-2004, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

OK, after an EXTREEEEEMMMMLLLYY long dry spell, I have a story once again rattling around in my brain. I am so excited! I've been in the thought stage for the last few days and now this morning I am going to write. This one will be a long short story, of appropriate legnth for magazing submission. Anything to give my novel credibility.

But I am finding myself a bit intimidated by the blank screen. Isn't that just stupid? a few paragraphs in and it will be fine. It isn't like you artists who fear messing up a canvas. I can just delete anything I don't like. Ah, we artists.... rolleyes.gif

So, if your chatting with the muses, remember me...... smile.gif

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
CelticRoz 
Posted: 23-Feb-2004, 07:25 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh, I am so happy for you Elspeth. I got early this morning and planned to work in the studio. However it is dark and raining outside and my light source from my window is terrible and I don't like working from artificial lighting. sad.gif But I guess it will be better than nothing.

Yes, a canvas you can work over, but I work mainly in colored pencil. When I start a new piece out and mess it up from the beginning I have to start all over too! sad.gif
I think watercolorist and pastel painters are the same. Sigh......the moans of being an artist, but what a joy when we see those completed pieces. Worth the work,eh?

I think starting a short story for magazine publishing sounds terrific! I am not too keen on magazines other than the beauty, fitness and entertainment ones. Which magazines would you be applying to, if I may ask.

happy writing! smile.gif
Elspeth 
Posted: 23-Feb-2004, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

Rose! What a switch. Up here it's bright and sunny and out in the desert it's gray and rainy.

I don't know if this is better or not. Few magazines even carry stories anymore so the competition is probably just as intense as it is for novels. But, I thought I'd give it a try. Especially since this idea I have is best suited for a long short story. (I love that inconsistency)

It seems the prize is to get a story in Atlantic Monthly, at least if you go by that they pay. There are other, mostly smaller magazines as well. Right now, anything would be better than nothing. I hate the business side. It takes all my time and then I have no time to write. But, such is the nature of the beast.

Hope you have a good art day. BTW, do you have a catalogue or an online collection?

Here's a sideline - we watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence last night. When they were talking about the cactus roses, I thought of you. smile.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]