Posted: 18-Sep-2005, 07:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Quebec

female

I would like to know opinion of people here.I have order fur of animal , a fox and a wolf(not a wolf but didn't find the word in my dico a coyote).My mom said I have no need of this for my medieval or celtic thing and it was cruel to kill an animal to get the fur it have.I buy it from someone know by a lot of people who did roleplay where I went this summer.It mostly came from road kill or abandon by hunter .If we can kill an animal to eat some part of it and waste half of it , why it is wrong to take the fur of a dead animal?When you eat horse , I'm sure a lot of it is waste ,same thing for a cow since they have dangerous disease which human can get.I'm not vegetarian but I admit I didn't eat a lot of meat.So is it so wrong?
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 18-Sep-2005, 07:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Tell your Mom killing animals for their fur and meat is all part of the circle of Life! Man has been killing animals since prehistoric times. We can only hope that killing the animals just for fur isn't the only reason. There are more atroscities done to cows every year but I don't hear anyone complaining....or where are those who are suppose to protect the American Chicken? Where are their rights? They'd tell you to eat more fish! Enjoy your fur piece without guilt...it's yours. You paid for it. I wish everyone would stop telling each other what they should or should not do and just enjoy being together and chill out. Why must we place guilt? Why are we control freaks?
A

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 18-Sep-2005, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

Hi Nancy Raven,

I live where there is fur and lots of it. I believe you shouldn't waste anything. This is a very touchy subject for a lot of people. I have always believed in fur and have known lots of trappers and buyers too..I have also tanned the skins.. I think people should be able to have the choice...

Mine is thumbs_up.gif to fur...

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 19-Sep-2005, 03:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

The only objection I have to this personally is when the hunting of the animal is immensely wasteful (like hunting elephants only for their tusks) and the item that is obtained (like the tusk) is considered so valuable that the animals are overhunted until the species is endangered. This is obviously not the case with your fox and coyote pelts.

Rindy -- have you actually tanned pelts? It's something that always interested me, as a part of the larger idea of surviving in nature if one ever had to.
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 19-Sep-2005, 04:27 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 19-Sep-2005, 03:10 PM)
The only objection I have to this personally is when the hunting of the animal is immensely wasteful (like hunting elephants only for their tusks) and the item that is obtained (like the tusk) is considered so valuable that the animals are  overhunted until the species is endangered.  This is obviously not the case with your fox and coyote pelts. 

Rindy -- have you actually tanned pelts?  It's something that always interested me, as a part of the larger idea of surviving in nature if one ever had to.

Hi Stoirmeil, yes I have here is a site that may be of interest to you. Browse any of this stuff.

http://www.taxidermy-world.com/vandykestaxidermy_2/

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Emmet 
Posted: 24-Sep-2005, 05:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Clearwater, FL

male

My red fox sporran

I've thought of making another one; you know those life-size baby harp seal stuffed toys at Sea World; the ones with the big sad eyes?

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 25-Sep-2005, 04:25 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Wow Emmet,

that is beautiful! Great job thumbs_up.gif ...good old ebay...LOL laugh.gif on the seal....

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 26-Sep-2005, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Emmet @ 24-Sep-2005, 06:42 AM)
My red fox sporran

I've thought of making another one; you know those life-size baby harp seal stuffed toys at Sea World; the ones with the big sad eyes?

If it's big sad eyes you're after, why not a Cabbage Patch Kid sporran? smile.gif

No, really, the fox is very impressive. That one didn't get home from the town-o.
PMEmail Poster               
Celtic cat 
Posted: 29-Sep-2005, 02:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Florida

female

QUOTE (Nancy-Raven @ 18-Sep-2005, 08:21 PM)
When you eat horse , I'm sure a lot of it is waste ,same thing for a cow since they have dangerous disease which human can get.I'm not vegetarian but I admit I didn't eat a lot of meat.So is it so wrong?

You eat horses? Did I miss something? I agree with everyone but as a side note , just don't buy cat furs, and I won't boycott.

--------------------
*~Extinction is Forever~*

"For Those Who Can't Speak, We Must" -Tiger Creek
http://www.tigercreek.org/

"Man is born free, but is everywhere in chains."
~Jean-Jacques Rousseau

*Cha shoirbh triubhas a chur air cat.
It’s not easy to put trews on a cat.* CR

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 30-Sep-2005, 12:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

It's more than a little absurd to suggest that any use of animal skins is wrong. Here in Western NY it sometimes gets cold enough for me to wear a fur hat.
One time a co-worker pointed out to me that I was wearing a dead animal on my head. Her tone suggested she did not approve of wearing fur. My response was that: "I certainly hope it's dead--I wouldn't want it biting me." End of discussion.
I also have a couple of animal skins I use as a rug in my canvas tent when doing medievel events. If I weren't using them as a rug, they would have simply been discarded, which seems a bit wasteful.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]