Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
221,656 Gold!

Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a premium channel lineup on our cable.

We went with the Starz channel lineup, which seems like the best value. About 15 channels for only 9.95 a month. A few days of watching tells me that I am actually going to save money as I will not be buying DVD's for the kids since alot of good movies are playing on these channels.

Ok, some Celtic Themed movies I saw that I would recommend:

Ella Enchanted - really more fairy taled themed than anything else, but if you like Peter Pan only more of an adult theme then you would like this. When Ella was a baby a fairy put a spell on her so that she has to do anything you tell her....I'd like to see her do the hokey pokey again....biggrin.gif

Gangs of New York - I've wanted to see this movie for a while, but just didn't want to part with the $20. I think it is a good movie about the Irish gangs in the 1800's. Some of it seemed a little unbelievable, but I will have to brush up on my New York Irish Gang History. Very violiant and adult movie. Definitely don't have the kids in the room watching this. But keeps you on the seat.

The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns - Saw this on St. Patrick's day - I believe the SciFi channel or Disney had it on. Started out a little silly about an American Business man going to Ireland (Randy Quaid). I think they should of gotten someone else to play the part of the American Business man. Wasn't Randy Quaid the guy that played the Uncle in Vacation? Anyways, the story gets better when a Leprechaun falls in love with a Banshee and there is a big war between the two and the earth and the heavens get uprooted.

Feel free to add to this list and/or give your opinion of these or any other Celtic themed movies. I'm going to try and keep this thread active at the top and maybe even turn some of this information into another section of movie reviews at some point.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
donchais 
Posted: 19-Mar-2005, 09:05 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

Some others, you might like (I belong to NetFlix) are:

Into the West

A Love Divided

The Magdalene Sisters

In America

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Donchais
PMEmail Poster               
celtica 
Posted: 19-Mar-2005, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

Lady of the mists
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Brest - Brittany

female

The Magdalene Sisters is absolutely fabulous, so sad, but so strong ! I loved this movie ! smile.gif

--------------------
Que restera-t-il de notre sang mêlé au sel, sans trace dans les mémoires ? Une ultime navigation, trompeuse. Et des souvenirs, illuminés d'embruns. Mais condamnés au silence de la mer... Loïc Finaz.
user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 19-Mar-2005, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Some of my favorites:

Far and Away - Good stroy, I just get irritated that Tom Cruise's fake Irish accent comes and goes. If you've got to fake it, at least try to keep it through out, Tom! Sheesh!

The Secret of Roan Inish, and The Seventh Stream - I've lumped these two together becasue they are both about Selkies, which I adore! Both are excellent. I highly recommend them!

Riverdance, and Lord of the Dance - Still wonderful after all this time!

Braveheart - Wonderful movie!

A movie to avoid like the plague - Druids - I was SO disappointed in this movie. I t stars Christopher Lambert from the Highlander movies, so I thought it would HAVE to be good... Boy did I get fooled! ABSOLUTLEY HORRID acting in this movie. I've had several people tell me that the plot of the movie was good if you can get past the acting. Well, I couldn't... maybe you can...

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 19-Mar-2005, 09:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
221,656 Gold!

QUOTE (celtica @ 19-Mar-2005, 10:09 AM)
The Magdalene Sisters is absolutely fabulous, so sad, but so strong ! I loved this movie ! smile.gif

I stayed up until 2:00 am the other night watching the Magdalene Sisters! I can see now why some people did not want this movied released.

What a terrible thing to do to those poor Irish girls. I really felt bad for them and the fact that it is a true story makes it all the more heart wrenchening.

I bought the movie "Druids" - should of known from the 4.99 bin and was very disappointed. I think we all could of done a better job in making a movie!

Thanks for these suggestions. I am going to watch for them!
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 19-Mar-2005, 09:48 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Hi Mac!

If you're looking for more suggestions about other Celtic movies, check out this thread:

http://www.celticradio.net/php/forums/inde...?showtopic=4806
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 19-Mar-2005, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Has anyone watched, Yesterday's Children? I did a google search and it had rave reviews. Yesterday I was flipping thru the channels trying to find something to watch and caught the last minute of it when it was going off, seen a man in a cemetary with the celtic crosses.

I loved the movie, The Quiet Man starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. It was filmed in Ireland in 1952, an old movie but a good one! It's even older than I am! biggrin.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
MDF3530 
  Posted: 19-Mar-2005, 06:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

My favorite Celtic-themed movies (I'm just putting these down in the order I thought of them biggrin.gif ) :

1. "The Nephew"
2. "The Magdalene Sisters"
3. "Braveheart"
4. "The Quiet Man"
5. "Rob Roy"

BTW, "The Magdalene Sisters" is the only time I've ever been to an arthouse. My mom and I wanted to see it, and the local arts center had a screening.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
CelticRoz 
Posted: 19-Mar-2005, 06:56 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh I loved the movie, The Nephew! I have seen it many times.

There is another movie with Robert Harris and Tom Berenger in it. Set in Ireland. Very sad ending, but dang if I can remember the title of it now. sad.gif
Aaediwen 
Posted: 19-Mar-2005, 09:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

QUOTE (Macfive @ 19-Mar-2005, 09:40 AM)
The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns - Saw this on St. Patrick's day  - I believe the SciFi channel or Disney had it on. Started out a little silly about an American Business man going to Ireland (Randy Quaid). I think they should of gotten someone else to play the part of the American Business man. Wasn't Randy Quaid the guy that played the Uncle in Vacation? Anyways, the story gets better when a Leprechaun falls in love with a Banshee and there is a big war between the two and the earth and the heavens get uprooted.

Feel free to add to this list and/or give your opinion of these or any other Celtic themed movies. I'm going to try and keep this thread active at the top and maybe even turn some of this information into another section of movie reviews at some point.

Got that in my DVD collection. If you like it, you might also like The 10th Kingdom

Noone's mentioned Fairy King of Og?

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
morgana_l_f 
Posted: 19-Mar-2005, 09:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHolly

Realm: North Dakota

female

One of my favorite Irish movies is "Waking Ned Devine." Its a very cute warming and funny story.
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
MDF3530 
  Posted: 19-Mar-2005, 10:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

QUOTE (morgana_l_f @ 19-Mar-2005, 09:58 PM)
One of my favorite Irish movies is "Waking Ned Devine." Its a very cute warming and funny story.

Is that the one where a dead guy wins the lottery?
CelticRoz 
Posted: 20-Mar-2005, 12:14 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Aaediwen @ 19-Mar-2005, 10:12 PM)
QUOTE (Macfive @ 19-Mar-2005, 09:40 AM)
Noone's mentioned Fairy King of Og?

That's because I couldn't remember the name of it again sad.gif

I saw another fairy movie a couple weeks ago and can't remember the name of that one either to save my life. I gotta start writing things down. rolleyes.gif
morgana_l_f 
Posted: 20-Mar-2005, 09:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHolly

Realm: North Dakota

female

yes mike
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 20-Mar-2005, 12:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

I watched a movie last night called "Boondock Saints". It had A LOT of cursing in it, but if you could get past that, it wasn't bad. However, there were times that all the cursing made me feel like I was losing brain cells! laugh.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]