Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Genealogy 101, How and where did you start?
CelticRoz 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Oh boy! I should have know that one!..... Duh I have a brother-in-law who is a confederate re-enactor and he is in the Sons of .............. and a friend who is part of the Daughters of the ......... oh no I forget what they call that group. It is for men and women who have had ancestors who fought in the civil war and they refer to it as war between the states. Never heard "the late unpleasantries." Learn something everyday! rolleyes.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 11-Dec-2003, 10:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,425 Gold!

Just started reading this thread. Couple of things. One advantage to most subscription sites is access to US census records. These can prove invaluable (or in some cases, simply frustating). The local records your cousin consulted are all good. Most states have a department of archives and history (different names in different states). If they don't have records you are searching for, they will often be able to suggest where you can find them. As was mentioned, using a good search engine (I like Google and Webcrawler) can often help find resources that are not obvious (such as accounts of settlements, ships passenger lists, etc.) Very often churches that date back to colonial times will have records that are useful (some have written histories available for sale). And don't forget "special collections" in local libraries. The more you can learn of the history of the area your ancestors emmigrated from and where they settled, the more "clues" you will come across. Also, never take anything for granted (even family history) unless you can find documentary evidence to support it. Researchers in my family had hit a brick wall with my great grandfather for the last 80 years. Then one day I speculated that he had been born in another location from what Family history said; Bingo! found him within a week. Beware, once you start, you're addicted.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 12-Dec-2003, 12:46 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks for all the info CarolinaScotsman. My family came from England, then to PA, then the Carolinas and then to Georgia. It is somewhere in North Carolina we are stuck. We think in Buncombe County but I have found nothing there. Maybe it is the wrong county and I need to look in the others instead. Thanks for your advice and help. smile.gif
maisky 
Posted: 12-Dec-2003, 12:48 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas @ Dec 9 2003, 05:15 PM)
QUOTE (CelticRose @ Dec 9 2003, 03:19 PM)
What is the WBTS?

WBTS = War Between the States, a neutral term between "War of Yankee Agression" and "the late unpleasantness (from Southern perspective)."

I noted when I was living in north Georgia a while back that the WBTS is considered to be an unfinished contest in the minds of many of the locals.

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 12-Dec-2003, 01:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Dec 12 2003, 01:46 PM)
It is somewhere in North Carolina we are stuck. We think in Buncombe County but I have found nothing there. Maybe it is the wrong county and I need to look in the others instead.

CelticRose,
One thing to consider is that during the Colonial and Post-Rev War era, county and even state boundaries frequently changed. You may want to look at what changes the area that is now Buncombe County went through before the current boundaries were set.
A good example is Scott County, VA, where I have found many ancestor. Scott County was carved out of other counties, carved out of other counties. It also took a while to settle the boundaries between Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, and North Carolina. So, particularly for border counties (I don't know if this applies to Buncombe), at least some records may be in another state entirely.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 12-Dec-2003, 01:46 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Mailagnus. Thanks for the great advice. I got in touch with one of my Sutton cousins last night and she has been working on this for 20 years and can't seem to get beyond the 1800 part. I am going to keep checking the NC territory and see what I can find, cause she may have the area all wrong. wink.gif smile.gif
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 13-Dec-2003, 08:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,425 Gold!

CelticRose, if you send me your Sutton info, I'll be glad to see what I can find; maybe nothing, maybe something.

When I was growing up, Late Unpleastantness was used in "polite" company (ladies present), other wise it was the WBTS. If someone called it the "Civil War", they were imediately pegged as a Yankee. For the most part, the younger generation doesn't know the difference.

BTW, you mentioned Buncombe County. Did you know that is where the word bunk (as in "that's a lot of bunk") comes from. It is a shortened form of buncombe which came from the county name. Seems a congressional rep in the 1800s from Buncombe County was famous for his ridiculous statements, so the term buncombe was coined. rolleyes.gif

TheCarolinaScotsman
CelticRoz 
Posted: 13-Dec-2003, 08:58 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks CarolinaScotsman! Interesting about Buncombe County. I did tell you I lived in Asheville area, well really Leicester, for a couple of years. Here is the info on the Sutton family. Who we can't get beyond is Powell Sutton. We are stuck there. many thanks! smile.gif

1. Powell Sutton 1805 to 1850?, m. S. Rhoda Taylor 11-11-1823 in Ruthorford County, North Carolina.

.....2. Austin Sutton b. 1827 d.1892, m. Adeline Blackstock 1847

.........3. Rev. Ervin Andrew Sutton b. April 30, 1858 Forsyth County,GA m. Salina C. Tatum

..............4. Martin Columbus Sutton b. December 1892, Gilmer Co, GA, d. 1948

CelticRoz 
Posted: 16-Dec-2003, 08:13 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Found another website that might be of interest to all, if you don't already know about it. It's free too!

http://www.gencircles.com/
High Plains Drifter 
Posted: 16-Dec-2003, 09:18 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Colorado

male

Celtic Rose, Don't overlook your local Federal Center. They have all US census record from 1930 and before on micro fiche(all individual census information is sealed for 70years)Also, if you are near Utah, the Family History Library of the LDS Church in Salt Lake City is the largest single depository of genealogical information in the world. Every 4 or 5 years, my wife and I go spend a week there and it is never long enough. You can borrow some much of the material on microfilm at your local Mormon Church, nearly all of them have Family History Centers. In the Great Lakes region, the Allen County Library in Ft. Wayne, IN is the second largest in the US. If you have the opportunity to attend one of the genealogy seminars that are held throughout the country, they aren't cheap but many are very good. Often they are held at Highland Games and Festivals and these are usually a bit cheaper. Maybe most important are talks with the older members of your family. They are the ones that can provide you with many of the anecdotes that makes your family tree a family and not just a bunch of dates. Be careful with this family oral tradition though, my wife's uncle always claimed to be descended from Sir Francis Drake but Drake was never married and died with out issue. Another hard rule, when you find something, write down where you found it so you can find it again if need be and so that you can verify that information. It never hurts to check and double check your facts. It is real easy to waste a lot of time going down the wrong path by assuming something without proof.

Hope this helps and good hunting. angel_not.gif angel_not.gif

--------------------
Be Mindful
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 16-Dec-2003, 10:15 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks High Plains Drifter! Thanks for all your tips! I greatly appreciate it. I will check out the local federal center. Never thought of that. I am in Arizona so pretty close to Utah. Right now I am just starting all this. My cousins have done most of the work for me until they got stuck. I bought the Family Tree software yesterday to start using. The only one living in the older generation is my mother and she remembers very little. sad.gif yeah, about the family oral tradition. I keep hearing or reading about My many great grandfather having married Pocohantas, but not taking that as truth.....yet.

Many t hanks again! thumbs_up.gif
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 16-Dec-2003, 10:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

Rosemary, I went on that http://www.gencircles.com/ . Were you able to find any information concerning your needs? When you were on that page, did you find it easy to search for what you were looking for?
I didn't stay on the page very long but the concept seems good, as long as they can get enough submitters to cross reference everything. I do think they need to organize the message board much better. To bulk all postings, regardless of surname into the heading of Ireland or what other country, will make it very difficult to research your needs and will be very time consuming.
They need to add a basic search. They just allow you to search the surname. I tend to use different ways of zeroing in on the information that I'm looking for.

It has potential to work and hopefully, they make a few changes to make it more user friendly.

PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 17-Dec-2003, 09:01 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Dec 16 2003, 11:15 PM)
I keep hearing or reading about My many great grandfather having married Pocohantas, but not taking that as truth.....yet. 

Many t hanks again!  thumbs_up.gif

CelticRose,
It's something of a long shot, but you may want to do some research on your gx-grandfather, and see if you find any of his descendants who connect with your proven ancestors. For example, you could do a Google search using his name and the word descendants.
I agree with High Plains Drifter's advice re family oral tradition. My wife's family always thought their Crowell line was descended from Oliver Cromwell. When I found their immigrant ancestor, he turned out to be named Crowe. For some reason, the family used both Crowe and Crowell for a few generations, then settled on Crowell. Ironically, she does have a connection to Oliver, but not the one she thought, as Oliver is likely my great (many times removed) uncle through my Whaley line.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 18-Dec-2003, 04:16 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Mailagnus! thanks for your suggestions. I will try to do as you suggested. With the holidays approaching, it has been hard to spend much time doing this project. I was able to get a hold of another distant cousin and he is doing some research too on our family. smile.gif
CelticRoz 
Posted: 18-Dec-2003, 04:19 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (A Shrule Egan @ Dec 16 2003, 11:23 PM)
Rosemary, I went on that http://www.gencircles.com/ . Were you able to find any information concerning your needs? When you were on that page, did you find it easy to search for what you were looking for?
I didn't stay on the page very long but the concept seems good, as long as they can get enough submitters to cross reference everything. I do think they need to organize the message board much better. To bulk all postings, regardless of surname into the heading of Ireland or what other country, will make it very difficult to research your needs and will be very time consuming.
They need to add a basic search. They just allow you to search the surname. I tend to use different ways of zeroing in on the information that I'm looking for.

It has potential to work and hopefully, they make a few changes to make it more user friendly.

Hi Shrule! I honestly glanced through that site and didn't get too far into it. I did try to look up some relatives, which brought me to nothing. but haven't checked out the message boards yet. I plan to dwelve into this more after the holidays. Just wanted to share with you all this site incase you hadn't heard of it. Thanks for your feedback on it. smile.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]