Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Another Theory Of Origin!, Where the Clarks came from??
TetonAndDistrictPerformingArts 
Posted: 13-Oct-2015, 03:39 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: South-East Idaho (Idaho Falls)

male

One of the stories, that I grew-up with, about the origin of the Clark, revolves around the clergy, or religious orders.

It is said that only the very rich, the very royal, and the very religious were educated in the days of old. The fact that the Bible was kept from the hands of the average person, may give that story weight.

As it is told... some of these members of the clergy (priest, monks, etc) may have gotten a bit tired of the vow of poverty, chasity, etc. and taken their rare trade of education, and become "men of business" to the Chiefs of the various Clans. Some of duties might have included tax records, family genealogy, and representation in court.

Being that these individuals were in-service to the great Lairds of Scotland, they fell under the protection of them, as well. It is not contested that several of the superior Clans (Cameron, MacPherson, Confederation of Clan Chattan) lay claim to the Clarks, as a sept.

One of the mottos that I have seen (unknown origin or date) " Per Scribus Pro Deus agus(et) Caledonia" ... translated "By Scribes for GOD and Scotland".

Pronounced CLARK in Scotland, as in "this is my Clark", it was pronounced CLERK in England, as in "office clerk."

The Clark tartan is a beautiful collaboration of Blue, Black, and White. It was first "recorded" in 1815, by some accounts; others say 1835. It is a derivation of the Clergy tartan, being just a bit more muted.

--------------------
David S. R. Clark, Administrative Sergeant-Major

Burns' Society of the Tetons

Ammon Scottish Festival
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.
CelticRadio 
Posted: 13-Oct-2015, 07:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
224,806 Gold!

Thank you for posting that, very interesting this Clark name. For God and Scotland is maybe were we get for God and Country?

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteRead My Blog View My Photographs               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]