Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Surnames, Does it really reveal your heritage?
Catriona 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 08:49 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

We call them farriers or blacksmiths

If the Claswons are rumoured to have changd their names - is there perhaps a chance that is was from Lawson? Lawson is a fairly common surname in Scotland today.
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 09:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

Could be, Catriona. I'll have to check and see if Lawson was used as a Christian name later. That might be a clue. Other branches of the family did that, why my mom had an uncle Logan. smile.gif And my grandfather's first name was Moss. unsure.gif

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 09:46 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

ehh.. I have no idea ... well, they should have some surname books in the genealogy section of the library.. so I'll have a look.

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 10:01 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

QUOTE (gaberlunzie @ Feb 19 2004, 08:25 AM)
Hey, I love your German... smile.gif aah, it's balsam for my soul to read some German words on an American site  wink.gif

Then how is this?

Was kostet der Tachenrechner? laugh.gif

Sorry, that is about all the German I know. I could say plenty of Spanish and Russian, though. wink.gif

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 10:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Feb 19 2004, 11:01 AM)
Then how is this?

Was kostet der Tachenrechner? laugh.gif

Sorry, that is about all the German I know. I could say plenty of Spanish and Russian, though. wink.gif

Wooohooo!!! This I definitely love, too!!! laugh.gif
Spanish? Russian? *asking curiously* cool.gif

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
MacEoghainn 
  Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 01:13 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

Hope this make sense, I'm responding to mutiple posts! unsure.gif

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Feb 18 2004, 11:39 PM)
Well these are names in my family search that I am told are of Scottish origin, Steve!  wink.gif

Walker, Taylor, McArthur, Suit, Blackstock, Allison. 

I worked hard on the Allison one cause in some places on the internet she was coming across as Ellerson. Well I came across some cemetary records that a cousin had sent me and it is confirmed Allison.

CelticRose,

Here are my Scots (or families who claimed to be):
Alexander, Barnes, Bruce, Clark, Dick, Ewing, Forbes, Gillespie, Johnson, Neal (or O'Neal), Russell, Sample (or Semple), Stewart, Webster.

and don't forget the Irish: English (an Ulster Irish name written by an englishman), Henry, Higgins, McKee.

and the Welsh: Powell (Ap Howell) and Rice (Ap Rhys)

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Feb 18 2004, 11:51 PM)
Hey MacEoghainn, if you are PA Dutch, if we go back far enough we could be related.  smile.gif  And if you are from the clan McLaughlin were they from PA too? I keep trying to find a fit for my Amanda McGlaughlin.

Elspeth,

My Pennsylvania Dutch ancestors go back to before the Revolution. (got any Bixler/Pixler/Bichsel relatives?)

My connections to Clan MacLachlan are convoluted, to say the least. My real Clan is MacEwen {MacEoghainn: where I stole my moniker from wink.gif }(which was broken by the Duke of Argyll in the 1400s) and are not a sept of Clan MacLachlan, instead MacEwen is a protectorate. (those who want more specifics check out the Clan MacLachlan website at http://www.maclachlans.org/ ) Though my great-grandfather Ewing's half sister did marry a McLaughlin which makes me kin to all her childrens McLaughlin descendants.

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Feb 19 2004, 11:01 AM)
Was kostet der Tachenrechner?

Ravenwing,

Was ein ist Tachenrechner? (What is a Tachenrechner?) huh.gif

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Feb 19 2004, 08:04 AM)
Being part of an elite religious sect, they are relatively easy to trace because there was no intermarrying outside of the sect. A memeber of the Church of the Brethren(COB) marrying a Mennonite was scandalous enough to rock the church. Even though both churchs came directly from the same Anabaptist movement.

That means my great-grandfather Pixler was in big trouble when he married my great-grandmother (last name of Higgins, Irish/Scot/Welsh/English Presbyterian of New England Yankee stock) shocking.gif His maternal grandfather was a Pastor in a Brethern Church in West "by God" Virginia.

MacEoghainn

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Elspeth, I am having the same problem with all my great-grandmothers who were married into the line. I keep hitting dead ends with them. I only have two that has been traced back to British Isles and that is because my historian cousin was able to do it,but he spent many years doing his research too. I have only just begun my quest!

Cat, stupid question here. What does a "borders" name mean? Does that mean they could either have been Scottish or English? Or border of Highland vs Lowlands? unsure.gif

PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 03:07 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

the borders are the region that were frequently overrun by both sides. Alot of the towns have roots in one country but are now belonging to the other (Berwick for example). eh.. geographically I'd have to look it up now.
http://www.scot-borders.co.uk/newsIndex.aspx maybe not the best website but there is at least a wee bit info.

Taschenrechner is a calculator.
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

The Scots refer to people from that region as Borderers... BUT many of the families lived on BOTH sides of the border... which was fairly fluid in earlier times!

Some of the famous border families were called Border Reivers. Such families as the Armstrongs, the Bothwells and the Homes (Humes) were part of this group.

The name Armstrong, for instance, is both Scots and English - because of the fact that the border moved quite a bit in earlier times!

The border towns are an interesting area, all of their own... they are neither Highlanders nor Lowlanders.... they are Borderers! Towns such as Berwick, Dunbar, North Berwick, Galashiels, Jedburgh and Kelso... Great area - I love it... cool.gif

PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 06:57 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

Galashiels is lovely.. a friend's sister lives there and we went there a couple of times....
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 02:44 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Yes, I like Galashiels, too, AD...

One of my best friends from my school days lives just outside Kelso - it is so peaceful there, I love it!
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 05:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

So, does this mean my English ancestors (Peel) from Northumberland are considered to be part of the 'border' region or is that too far south?
Elspeth 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 05:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (MacEoghainn @ Feb 19 2004, 02:13 PM)
Elspeth,

My Pennsylvania Dutch ancestors go back to before the Revolution. (got any Bixler/Pixler/Bichsel relatives?)

My connections to Clan MacLachlan are convoluted, to say the least. My real Clan is MacEwen {MacEoghainn: where I stole my moniker from wink.gif }(which was broken by the Duke of Argyll in the 1400s) and are not a sept of Clan MacLachlan, instead MacEwen is a protectorate. (those who want more specifics check out the Clan MacLachlan website at http://www.maclachlans.org/ ) Though my great-grandfather Ewing's half sister did marry a McLaughlin which makes me kin to all her childrens McLaughlin descendants.

That means my great-grandfather Pixler was in big trouble when he married my great-grandmother (last name of Higgins, Irish/Scot/Welsh/English Presbyterian of New England Yankee stock) shocking.gif His maternal grandfather was a Pastor in a Brethern Church in West "by God" Virginia.

MacEoghainn

I think things had lightened up by then. biggrin.gif The scandal I am referring to happened in the late 1600's. But it probably still wouldn't have been the preferred marriage. If my great-great-great-greats knew I married a Catholic and then we both became Presbyterian they'd be rolling over in their graves so quickly it would look like dancing, which of course they were forbidden to do. rolleyes.gif

You know the name Pixler does look familiar to me. What part of PA are you talking about? This branch of my family came over in 1737, first settling around Philadelphia and moving west to Sommerset Co, and then ending up in Indiana Co.
Catriona 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 05:56 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Northumberland is certainly one of the English counties that lies close to the Border.

Did you know that there is an ancient form of 'castle' called a Peel (or Pele) Tower? They were common throughout the borders area - on both sides!

I seem to recall that the name comes from the word 'Pale'....
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 05:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

Last night I received a report on a Clan Donald DNA study in which I am a participant, which seems to be at least tangentially related to surnames, and what they tell about someone's origins.
On a general level, the study tends to confirm traditional clan geneologies.
On a more personal level, the study suggests that I, along with some others, are members of a branch of Clan Donald that is more closely related to the McGuinness clan (to which the Guinness brewery family belongs) than to other branches of Clan Donald. While further study and analysis is necessary before any firm conclusions can be drawn, the data currently available tends to suggest that my branch may be descended from the ancient kings of the Cruithni Dal Araidhe tribe, rather than the Niall and Clan Cholla tribes from which the main line of Clan Donald descends, and which overthrew the Dal Ariadne line of kings.
While I had found descendants of the ancient Ulster kings listed in some lineages on my mother's side, I had always dismissed these lineages as more mythological than real. Perhaps I was too quick in doing so. As further DNA data becomes available, it will be interesting to see whether the initial analyis holds up.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]